Our D has found it's true test (and flunked)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a weird thread after a D dominated win, but still....

Ofc, in terms of getting pressure and turnovers we have done very well, bit then

1) We've not played against a top QB yet.

2) our run D hasn't yet convinced post Chicago and Cook and Lindsay had easy holes and open routes all game.

3) When needed esp on 3rd and long we let Flacco connect. King especially was a bit suspect.

Wentz is a different animal to those we've faced till now.

Blake is awesome, but we need one more like him to round off the D and that's where we lack imo. And King....too soon to write him off, but I'll be watching him.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if they're overrated. Problem is that they've faced some really terrible QBs so it's hard to know how good they are. They've played as well as they should have (for the most part) against some bad QBs; so either they're a decent defense who feasts on bad QBs or they are a very good defense who also feasts on bad QBs. I will say that there have been receivers running open against the Packers in the first three games but the QBs we've played have missed them, so that's not great.

However, a great pass rush can really even things out.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't expect this from you XPack. Our defense has given up 16 points at most against an opponent and we're doing pretty good in takeaways. Now could they improve? Absolutely, especially when it comes to tackling and stopping the run, but the way I see it you can have all those yards but it won't do you any good if they don't result in points. Wentz is definitely going to a test but I don't see any reason as to doubt that our defense can't hold it's own against them. Especially considering The Eagles are all banged up right now.

I'm beginning to understand why Shaggy made that thread in regards to us not being happy. Of course we're going to have same concerns and there will be occasions where we don't hold opponents out to low scores, especially should (heaven forbid) injuries continue to pile on. I think what you see is a good indication that we definitely have one of the better defenses in the league and I'd like to believe it'll prove to be a consistent one, come January and February.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be overrated, however I don't think anyone here or in the media argues that its a top 5 unit (yet). But the defense is the sole reason we have won all 3 of our games right now. And there is no way we are going to keep every team under 20 points, but let's hope that our offense finally gets it rolling when we do.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be overrated, however I don't think anyone here or in the media argues that its a top 5 unit (yet). But the defense is the sole reason we have won all 3 of our games right now. And there is no way we are going to keep every team under 20 points, but let's hope that our offense finally gets it rolling when we do.
I think our defense will be our driving force the early games of the season, with the exception of Dallas as I see our offense blowing those suckers out. But come November, particular Thanksgiving, I'm sure we'll see an improvement on the offense.

So far we've faced two formidable defenses, let alone the fact they are division rival games; one of which is 2-1. And the other having the same opportunity to be 2-1 tomorrow. (Though they SHOULD be 1-2 from last week.)

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't expect this from you XPack. Our defense has given up 16 points at most against an opponent and we're doing pretty good in takeaways.
Look, I'm not one to spell doom and gloom after a win or start kneejerk threads, but even as I was watching the game I wasn't comfortable at all tbh.

One, for their first TD, Broncos moved the ball with ease. 12 or something drives and we could stop anything.

Two, I can understand us faring poorly against Cook, but Lindsay? It was a wonder they didn't run him more.

Three, twice we had them for 3rd and long and I think both times King came up short....they were the only attempts Flacco turned to long throws. I suspect it's a weakness that hasn't materialized yet due to **** QBs we've faced.

And Four....I hate to post this actually and Don't want to take anything away from our edge....but we've been facing fairly immobile QBs. I'd wait to see how the Smith's fare against a out of pocket comfortable QB before I fully believe in them.

Wentz and Dak are more of a tough proposition than what we've faced. I'm certain we'll win both, but we need to work a lot and get a ILB to partner Blake. I think @Pokerbrat2000 mentioned this too.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I'm not one to spell doom and gloom after a win or start kneejerk threads, but even as I was watching the game I wasn't comfortable at all tbh.

One, for their first TD, Broncos moved the ball with ease. 12 or something drives and we could stop anything.

Two, I can understand us faring poorly against Cook, but Lindsay? It was a wonder they didn't run him more.

Three, twice we had them for 3rd and long and I think both times King came up short....they were the only attempts Flacco turned to long throws. I suspect it's a weakness that hasn't materialized yet due to **** QBs we've faced.

And Four....I hate to post this actually and Don't want to take anything away from our edge....but we've been facing fairly immobile QBs. I'd wait to see how the Smith's fare against a out of pocket comfortable QB before I fully believe in them.

Wentz and Dak are more of a tough proposition than what we've faced. I'm certain we'll win both, but we need to work a lot and get a ILB to partner Blake. I think @Pokerbrat2000 mentioned this too.
Like I said there are some concerns that we will have to deal with in regards to our defense, but at the end of the day it doesn't really mean much if they don't result it points right? Every defense will have holes that they will need to deal with. I certainly share your concerns. Please do not misunderstand.

Keep in mind another thing to consider that our offense wasn't doing them any favors by having them go back out on the field and not let them rest due to having so many 3 and outs. Fortunately our defense has stepped up (which is rare considering it's the other way around typically) in order to help out the offense.

Wentz i'm sure will let it fly and whatnot, but with the injuries at his receiving corps, he can only do so much.

Dak has weapons which make up for his overall ineptitude, plus he has Zeke. Dak typically throws short passes that result in large yardage after catch. On occasions he'll throw the deep ball, but i'm confident we can come up with them. The real thing we'll need to take away from him in regards to his passing is Witten, as that is Dak's security blanket. We'll expose those fraudulent Cowboys soon enough. I can't wait!

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I see is wins, but with teaching moments each week for improvement. This is good because the defense can’t get full of themselves as the coaches will be on their *** for the mistakes they made That being said, they need this Thursday game cause right now I don’t believe they are ready to come out of Dallas with a win. The biggest weakness I see in the defense is stopping the run and that’s what drives the Cowboys.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if they're overrated. Problem is that they've faced some really terrible QBs so it's hard to know how good they are. They've played as well as they should have (for the most part) against some bad QBs; so either they're a decent defense who feasts on bad QBs or they are a very good defense who also feasts on bad QBs. I will say that there have been receivers running open against the Packers in the first three games but the QBs we've played have missed them, so that's not great.

However, a great pass rush can really even things out.
Yup a great pass rush can take a QB off his game and cause bad throws.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB defense is a good work in progress, certainly not overrated. Leading the league in TOs is not by accident. The defense weakness right now is against the run. With that said, I'll take that any day of the week vs the past Ds that couldn't stop any 3rd and longs and usually QBs were able to purchase and make updates to their Amazon account with the amount of time they had in the pocket. Good news,D is young, this is game three and "3-0"

Reaction score
Really?
The GB Defense ranks in the bottom 3 of most plays defended (198) tied for 3rd most.
but the top 2 in points allowed (11.7pts/GM) #2
That should rarely if ever happen.

Yet Our humble Defensive players are saying they need much improvement in the run game and much to clean up. Pretty awesome, these guys are not even peaking yet IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
don't worry it will. den pretty much did whatever they wanted today. phi and dal will be even better.
If today was a 3rd example of How Offenses have their way with us? I want to see more of 6 sacks and 3 takeaways!
Philly travels half across the country on 2 nights rest. I’d much rather be playing at home after a short week. Regardless of Win or Loss, Our litmus test is Dallas at Dallas.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem that is going to persist is the run defense. They are getting gashed between the tackles by teams with inferior o lines in Minnesota and Denver. Pass defense has been excellent so far. While the Packers haven't faced a top 10 qb yet, a pass rush is a great equalizer. Lowry, Adams and Lancaster can't get off their blocks and lack lateral mobility. Throw in a journeyman ilb next to Martinez and it might get ugly vs teams like Dallas with a great rb and o line. That said, at least they go after the qb and the coverage is tighter than in past years.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers haven't faced any top quarterback so far it's pretty obvious the unit is capable of performing at a much higher level than in past seasons.

There's no doubt that they have struggled defending the run over the past two games but aside of some big plays that need to be cleaned up have been elite in coverage, something that's way more important.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One good way to measure a defense is to compare its performance relative to a team's normal offensive output. We don't have nearly enough data to be conclusive, but the trend favors GB.

Chicago scored 3 points against GB. They scored 16 against the Broncos and have obviously yet to play a third game.

Minnesota scored 16 points against GB. They scored 28 week one against Atlanta and 34 yesterday against Oakland.

Denver scored 16 points against GB. They scored 16 week one against Oakland and 14 week two against Chicago.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what Denver wanted was to scored 16 points? That's a weird game plan.
yes the results were good for the Packers but they DID pile up a lot of yards on us. they ran 73 plays and had the ball 11+ minutes more than the Packers. the injuries have hurt us. phi and dal have good O's.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
yes the results were good for the Packers but they DID pile up a lot of yards on us. they ran 73 plays and had the ball 11+ minutes more than the Packers. the injuries have hurt us. phi and dal have good O's.

Yes, there were problems on defense. But to say that the Broncos "pretty much did whatever they wanted" about that performance doesn't make any sense.

They were able to run the ball too effectively and convert 3rd downs. But they didn't want to get sacked 6 times, once for a turnover, and throw an interception. And I'm sure they wanted to score enough points to win.

Reaction score
Here @Do7 ill be positive for a minute. The Vikings (for having a supposed lackluster offense) were still able to put up 28 on Atlanta and 34 on Oakland. Only 16 on us. Soooo I have to say I dont think our defense is overrated. I know thats just a small sample size but the Vikings can put up points and have in their other games, but not against us. Just saying

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here @Do7 ill be positive for a minute. The Vikings (for having a supposed lackluster offense) were still able to put up 28 on Atlanta and 34 on Oakland. Only 16 on us. Soooo I have to say I dont think our defense is overrated. I know thats just a small sample size but the Vikings can put up points and have in their other games, but not against us. Just saying
So...You're agreeing with me?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem that is going to persist is the run defense. They are getting gashed between the tackles by teams with inferior o lines in Minnesota and Denver.

Apparently this is a weakness with Ryan/Pettine defenses - they don't emphasize gap integrity.

Members online

Latest posts