Our D has found it's true test (and flunked)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This meme is so fitting...

Attachments

• 33401.jpeg
    33401.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 116

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there were problems on defense. But to say that the Broncos "pretty much did whatever they wanted" about that performance doesn't make any sense.

They were able to run the ball too effectively and convert 3rd downs. But they didn't want to get sacked 6 times, once for a turnover, and throw an interception. And I'm sure they wanted to score enough points to win.
right...but i didn't speak to what they didn't want. the sacks and turnovers killed the game off for them. they dominated in most stat categories other than the most important one...points scored :tup:. imagine if we had a prolific offence. we'd be 3-0. ;)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401127925

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People talk about the defense get ran on a lot, but i think its honestly by design it has to be. Packers D run a lot of nickel a lot of DB's on the field at the same time. kevin king and tramon williams so afraid to come up and make a hit its almost annoying lol. They even put tramon in on goaoline D lol.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today Cowherd said the Packers had the best offseason of all the teams, for their moves to bolster the defense.
He always talks about how we've invested in the defense the last two years, I don't know what he's talking about. We've been trying to fix the defense a lot longer than that, it's just been a complete failure.

I know it's early in the season, and the D hasn't faced a big test yet. But the difference in performance has been night and day, so it's hard not to be encouraged and optimistic. Nobody is going to shut every team down completely, but it's great that we're getting turnovers again!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today Cowherd said the Packers had the best offseason of all the teams, for their moves to bolster the defense.
He always talks about how we've invested in the defense the last two years, I don't know what he's talking about. We've been trying to fix the defense a lot longer than that, it's just been a complete failure.

I know it's early in the season, and the D hasn't faced a big test yet. But the difference in performance has been night and day, so it's hard not to be encouraged and optimistic. Nobody is going to shut every team down completely, but it's great that we're getting turnovers again!

Shoot. Being on the same side as Cowherd is NOT where I like to be...

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

under gute the defensive investments were significant and have been successful. the previous regime's investments, while not in free agency, weren't complete failures either. there just weren't that many in it's last few years that worked out well for the Packers.
night and day is right! it's cool not cringing when the D comes out on the field.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
kevin king and tramon williams so afraid to come up and make a hit its almost annoying lol.
Whom to believe, you or AR12?
Rodgers said of the two corners. "Going against them for a couple years now, you have to be very accurate and smart about the type of ball and type of air you put on certain routes, because they're really good when the ball's in the air. Ja is fast; he's faster than Kev. But he can really go and track the ball in the air. And then Kev is just so physical....Al was obviously big and powerful and strong, and Kev is the same way.
hmm, decisions decisions

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL believe your own eyes. Watch tape its right in your face.
Kevin King has not shown reluctance to come up and help in the run game. He's had a couple big stops already this season from his position and none looked like a guy unwilling to go tackle someone. He came flying in for a 3rd and 5 stop just the last game that if he hadn't would have been an easy first down.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with King is when he gives up on coverage. There were two instances when this happened. The first was against The Vikings when Diggs got passed him and resulted in a TD and this past week against Denver.

Now in terms of tackling, King is definitely one of our more physical receivers. There are times where I'm happy with him and at times that he frustrates the crap out of me. But I certainly believe in the dude. He's definitely showing he's an asset when he's on the field like I've been telling everyone.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
yes the results were good for the Packers but they DID pile up a lot of yards on us. they ran 73 plays and had the ball 11+ minutes more than the Packers. the injuries have hurt us. phi and dal have good O's.
Let me know when NFL games start going by yards to determine wins and losses, as opposed to the final score. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basic football: You work with what you've got. You gear up to either stop the run or gear up to stop the pass. In the rare situation where you have the personnel to do both effectively (like the Bears and Vikings) you do it. The Packers aren't THAT talented yet.

From what I've heard and gathered, Pettine is focused on shutting down the pass first and dealing with teams trying to run more. It's a pass oriented league so I have no problem with his approach. He's got good pressure coming from the edge, solid safeties, and very talented corners with an over-achiever at MLB. It's refreshing to see a coach playing to his team's talent rather than forcing a round peg into a square hole.

If Rodgers and LaFluer get the offensive running better as the season wears on, opposing teams will find it harder and harder to run the ball when they are falling further behind on the scoreboard.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under the radar, but the defense may be missing both Raven Greene and Montravious Adams more than was apparent early on. The Smiths are rightly getting lots of attention, as are the DBs. Adams seemed to be taking up space and plugging holes well, and Greene was very solid in his role as well. It will be interesting to see how the defense changes once those two are healthy again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That single long run by Cook must have skewed the results some.

with the run they are 25th in YPC at 4.9 and 25 at YPG at 131
without it they are 10 in YPC at 4.0 and 15th in YPG at 106.

I know you can't simply ignore it but it is the only run of 20+ yards they have given up so far. 6 teams have given up none (we played 2 of them) and 7 other teams have given up only 1 (we played 1 of them) I'd be far more concerned if the averages were the same but we were giving up more long runs and the fact that we are better against the pass means teams are going to try to run against us more. If, like El Guapo says, teams are going to be forced to try and pass more and run less I see the numbers getting better.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First half showed it. We aren't geared up for QBs who can throw. Pettine better get his socks up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good tight ends still an issue

I mean, holding one of the best TEs in the NFL to 7 catches and 65 yards with zero TDs isn't really that bad. The run defense was putrid and it turns out that the pass rush might not be what some thought when it's not going against really bad QBs.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should be using Ty Summers more. He's bigger, great run stuffer, and a phenomenal blitzer. Not sure why he didn't get a single defensive snap... What happened to rotation? Fresh players? Use them!!!! You could tell Martinez was gassed.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, holding one of the best TEs in the NFL to 7 catches and 65 yards with zero TDs isn't really that bad. The run defense was putrid and it turns out that the pass rush might not be what some thought when it's not going against really bad QBs.
it is when they were all for first downs and extended drives.

people are forgetting this team won a super bowl 18 months ago. minus a few drops they're 4-0.

Members online

Latest posts