Our D has found it's true test (and flunked)

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was very confident of this game (and Dallas by extension). Now anxiety has set in. Zeke and Dak aren't really who we want to face now.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D is definitely better than recent years and we are just missing one component. We need one more ILB.

On that note, I realized Clay Matthews has 4 sacks, 8 solo tackles and 2 forced fumbles this season already :eek:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a huge problem on the d line. Other than Clark they have nobody and it shows. I was at the game last night and holes in the d line were enormous. Lowry and Lancaster were absolutely manhandled. Gute really screwed up relying on Lowry and giving him starter money.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
While there was so much crowing about this defense during the week, the only thing I could come up with was "I hope Philly doesn't have a run game."

Hope in one hand... Crap in the other and see which hand fills up first.

Reaction score
it is when they were all for first downs and extended drives.

people are forgetting this team won a super bowl 18 months ago. minus a few drops they're 4-0.
That same applies to us also. If Rodgers doesn’t fumble we likely score there. We were a couple self destructing plays from 4-0.

Reaction score
Same old defense. I warned everyone of Pettine.
I don’t think that’s true. Our D has clearly won 3/4 games.
It’s no mistake our D is 3-1 and our team is 3-1. You can’t expect us to match up perfectly with every team or to W every contest. Sooner or later the O needs to pull one out.
btw. Pulling one out Offensively includes not spotting our opponent the ball 1st n 10 with 18 yards to the goal. The first 2 Eagles TDs were a failure of our ST and our Offense. In both instances our D started at their own 18 yard line. That’s arguably and statistically instantly 6 points minimum and an average of 10 points lost IMO. In our case, it led to 14 pts scored by the Eagles in the first half alone. How many points did we lose by? Take away just 6
34-6= 28
Packers had 27 and would’ve needed a FG to win on the final drive.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D is definitely better than recent years and we are just missing one component. We need one more ILB.

On that note, I realized Clay Matthews has 4 sacks, 8 solo tackles and 2 forced fumbles this season already :eek:

Pretending an ILB is the only issue is a little naive. The Packers played a good oline and a good QB and managed to generate very little pressure. The pass rush is much improved but it's still not where it needs to be. Additionally, the only good dlineman the team has is Clark (and he's VERY good) but the other two are kind of average at best.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there was so much crowing about this defense during the week, the only thing I could come up with was "I hope Philly doesn't have a run game."

Hope in one hand... Crap in the other and see which hand fills up first.
Deep Thoughts,
With weedsie...

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretending an ILB is the only issue is a little naive. The Packers played a good oline and a good QB and managed to generate very little pressure. The pass rush is much improved but it's still not where it needs to be. Additionally, the only good dlineman the team has is Clark (and he's VERY good) but the other two are kind of average at best.
Not to mention, PHI won the SB what? 16 months ago?

Our entire team was gassed and nearly won. Tough to beat both a legit SB contending team - AND - a dipsh!t crew of NFL Officials.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm calling BS on this narrative.

The Eagles came into this game with a scoring offense of 25 pts/gm. The Packers already beat the Vikings, who have a scoring offense of 24 pts/gm.

Calling this the "true test" doesn't make sense. They've played a comparable offense.

The defense was bad on Thursday. I'm not here to say any different.

But the root of the issue was that ST gaffes and a fumble deep in our own end allowed the Eagles to stay in neutral/positive game script and take advantage of the weak run defense, whereas the Packers are tough to beat when you have to come back on them because their pass defense is their strength.

If we were just going to call the first bad outing the first "true test," then this was always just a bunch of confirmation bias laced nonsense.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s true. Our D has clearly won 3/4 games.
It’s no mistake our D is 3-1 and our team is 3-1. You can’t expect us to match up perfectly with every team or to W every contest. Sooner or later the O needs to pull one out.
btw. Pulling one out Offensively includes not spotting our opponent the ball 1st n 10 with 18 yards to the goal. The first 2 Eagles TDs were a failure of our ST and our Offense. In both instances our D started at their own 18 yard line. That’s arguably and statistically instantly 6 points minimum and an average of 10 points lost IMO. In our case, it led to 14 pts scored by the Eagles in the first half alone. How many points did we lose by? Take away just 6
34-6= 28
Packers had 27 and would’ve needed a FG to win on the final drive.
It's when we run into good coaches/QBs that we will find trouble. Just like we'll see in the playoffs, when the defense always rears its ugly head. Any coach can beat Trubisky/Cousins/Flacco with the talent on this defense

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's when we run into good coaches/QBs that we will find trouble. Just like we'll see in the playoffs, when the defense always rears its ugly head. Any coach can beat Trubisky/Cousins/Flacco with the talent on this defense

These next few weeks could get tough to watch

Up against Dak, Zeke and their core of guys next week

We honestly should crush that garbage overrated Lions offense, but they've averaged 31 ppg in the last four meetings against us. Ridiculous!

They should look pretty good against the Raiders, but then it's Mahomes, Kelce and the Chiefs after that.

Tests are going to get a lot bigger over the next month for sure.

Reaction score
Just a thought here.

If the GB Defense allowed the same # of total yards as they did against Philly every game? They would be tied with Dallas as the #15 ranked.

If the Eagles D allowed the same # of total yards as they did against GB every game? They would be tied with the Dolphins for LAST place.

Aaron Rodgers absolutely manhandled the Eagles with 470 all purpose. If not for -2 turnovers ratio this game was a GB win 4 out of 5 times. There was no “garbage time” argument either.

We took our licks. But by no means was this a blowout or humiliation type D either. This D is predicated on being Turnover savvy and will win the vast majority of games our O and ST hold theirs.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Eagles came into this game with a scoring offense of 25 pts/gm. The Packers already beat the Vikings, who have a scoring offense of 24 pts/gm.

Calling this the "true test" doesn't make sense. They've played a comparable offense.

But the root of the issue was that ST gaffes and a fumble deep in our own end allowed the Eagles to stay in neutral/positive game script and take advantage of the weak run defense, whereas the Packers are tough to beat when you have to come back on them because their pass defense is their strength.

If we were just going to call the first bad outing the first "true test," then this was always just a bunch of confirmation bias laced nonsense.
I tend to agree Dantes. Our secondary played fairly well, at least it was the top group in terms of performance Thursday. Held that PHI offense to just 4 receptions by their WRs for something like 51 yds...

We just got GASHED!!! And, most disappointingly to me was Pettine showed no adjustments, no answer.

This was our first loss under LaFleur, and I'm looking forward to seeing how/if he cleans it up as a HC. I'd be all over our DC and STs Coordinator to get this righted, as well as our OL coaching staff.

Just a couple of gaffes avoided, or good plays made would make for a different conversation.

Not even going to get into the calls by the officiating crew.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought here.

If the GB Defense allowed the same # of total yards as they did against Philly every game? They would be tied with Dallas as the #15 ranked.

If the Eagles D allowed the same # of total yards as they did against GB every game? They would be tied with the Dolphins for LAST place.

Aaron Rodgers absolutely manhandled the Eagles with 470 all purpose. If not for -2 turnovers ratio this game was a GB win 4 out of 5 times. There was no “garbage time” argument either.

We took our licks. But by no means was this a blowout or humiliation type D either. This D is predicated on being Turnover savvy and will win the vast majority of games our O and ST hold theirs.
Really great stuff OldSchool101. Well said.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's when we run into good coaches/QBs that we will find trouble. Just like we'll see in the playoffs, when the defense always rears its ugly head.

The Packers defense has to improve stopping the run but it should be obvious to everyone the unit is significantly improved over past seasons.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One team has Kirk Cousins at QB and the other has Carson Wentz. The concern for the defense was that they had not yet faced a legit QB. People were pointing out that plays were being left on the field by QBs that the Packers had faced, that their receivers open that those other three QBs were missing. Pretending that points scored is all that matters is nonsensical. The Vikings run game dominated the Packers but the Vikings' oline and QB were awful. The Eagles run game dominated the Packers but the oline and QB for Eagles ALSO proved very effective.

Please, let's not pretend the Vikings offense is of the same caliber as the Eagles.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought here.

The Packers held their own on offense until Adams got hurt. The defense certainly got exposed, you can't pretend otherwise. The Eagles (not counting Wentz) ran for 163 yards on 6 yards per carry. If anything the defense held up fairly well against Wentz but could NOT stop the run at all (probably because the D was more concerned with matching up against the passing game AND because the team is REALLY hurting at ILB with injuries).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One team has Kirk Cousins at QB and the other has Carson Wentz. The concern for the defense was that they had not yet faced a legit QB. People were pointing out that plays were being left on the field by QBs that the Packers had faced, that their receivers open that those other three QBs were missing. Pretending that points scored is all that matters is nonsensical. The Vikings run game dominated the Packers but the Vikings' oline and QB were awful. The Eagles run game dominated the Packers but the oline and QB for Eagles ALSO proved very effective.

Please, let's not pretend the Vikings offense is of the same caliber as the Eagles.

Scoring ultimately is all that matters.

Please, let's not pretend that through the first three weeks the Vikings offense wasn't the same caliber as the Eagles. Because it was.

We gave the Eagles short fields and a positive game script so that they could lean on the run. That was the difference.

Reaction score
The Eagles run game dominated the Packers but the oline and QB for Eagles ALSO proved very effective.

Again, I must be missing something because this is
C Wentz production in the passing game that you are touting so highly.

Week4: 16/27 59% 160 yards 3 TDs

Week3: 19/36 53% 259 yards 2 TDs

Week2: 25/43 55% 251 yards 1 TD

Week1: 28/39 72% 313 yards. 3 TDs

Carson did what was needed to win, but make no mistake from strictly a passing performance? He’d lose the vast majority of games repeating that week 4 performance.

The Eagles won because they ran the ball well and forced 3 Turnovers.

Conversely, GB dominated the Eagles Offensively overall, but yet failed to convert points on 3 occasions (all 3 were in scoring positions at Eagles 34, Eagles 1, Eagles 5)

It was the Eagles DEFENSE forcing 3 turnovers (1 on downs, 1 Rodgers fumble, 1 Rodgers INT) being opportunistic that won this game, not the Eagles Offense as you submit.

You’re barking in the front.. but the burglar was in the back.

Last edited: