Our D has found it's true test (and flunked)

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One team has Kirk Cousins at QB and the other has Carson Wentz. The concern for the defense was that they had not yet faced a legit QB. People were pointing out that plays were being left on the field by QBs that the Packers had faced, that their receivers open that those other three QBs were missing. Pretending that points scored is all that matters is nonsensical. The Vikings run game dominated the Packers but the Vikings'i oline and QB were awful. The Eagles run game dominated the Packers but the oline and QB for Eagles ALSO proved very effective.

Please, let's not pretend the Vikings offense is of the same caliber as the Eagles.
Our secondary held Wentz to 4 receptions total to his WRs for about 50 something yds. Majority of his throws went to Zach Ertz, one of the NFL’s best TE’s, 7 receptions for 65 yds and 0 TDs.

Those numbers don’t seem to support that argument, but, Wentz had effective use of dump off passes to his RBs. He’s definitely better than Cousins, but MANY QBs are.

Looking more like circumstances mentioned by others than Wentz being too much to handle. Don’t you think so bud? I mean, he’s great and all, managed their game well, had a couple of great escapes from pressure, but Wentz did not overwhelm our D.

Our DVOA currently ranks #3 overall in the entire NFL, which doesn’t support that notion either.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This was always going to be a self fulfilling prophecy. The first "true test" label would be applied to whichever game the Packers lost.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was always going to be a self fulfilling prophecy. The first "true test" label would be applied to whichever game the Packers lost.
Except that the thread was created before the game. It was a flaw that was waiting to be exploited and did get so.

Reaction score
Except that the thread was created before the game. It was a flaw that was waiting to be exploited and did get so.
Interesting. I feel like I’ve been cheated by Jim Jones and David Koresh all at once :tdown:

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except the QB that was going to tear us up didn’t and it was 3 turnovers and short fields that was the difference. The thread exposed nothing really

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except the QB that was going to tear us up didn’t and it was 3 turnovers and short fields that was the difference. The thread exposed nothing really
Who said anything about tearing it up?

You should read the OP again. It was just a reality check after all the plaudits of our D during earlier games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said anything about tearing it up?

You should read the OP again. It was just a reality check after all the plaudits of our D during earlier games.
Maybe I’m mixing up threads, but plenty of posts were about Wentz being a different beast than anyone we’ve faced.

I figured they were meaning he’d beat us, but it was 3 turnovers and short fields that played a much bigger role.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was the Eagles DEFENSE forcing 3 turnovers (1 on downs, 1 Rodgers fumble, 1 Rodgers INT) being opportunistic that won this game, not the Eagles Offense as you submit.

Special teams helped the Eagles as well with a kickoff return setting up another short field for them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scoring ultimately is all that matters.

Please, let's not pretend that through the first three weeks the Vikings offense wasn't the same caliber as the Eagles. Because it was.

We gave the Eagles short fields and a positive game script so that they could lean on the run. That was the difference.

Kirk Cousins is not as good as Carson Wentz. Pretending they are is ridiculous.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with King is when he gives up on coverage. There were two instances when this happened. The first was against The Vikings when Diggs got passed him and resulted in a TD and this past week against Denver.

Now in terms of tackling, King is definitely one of our more physical receivers. There are times where I'm happy with him and at times that he frustrates the crap out of me. But I certainly believe in the dude. He's definitely showing he's an asset when he's on the field like I've been telling everyone.
As per our past disagreements, did I see that King is listed as questionable with a groin for the Dallas game? I hope not cause he actually has been playing pretty well except for a couple of stinky plays.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things are pretty even. You're going to see so called upsets every week
I don't see any dominant teams this season it's wide open .
As far as the defense yeah they didn'thave a very good day . Every team, every unit, is going to have a clunker at some point in the season no matter how good they are. we had ours, hopefully it's not a habit. I remember a team that everybody said had the greatest defense of all time, the 85 Bears. I also remember them walking into Miami on a Monday night undefeated, and watch Marino and company rip them up for 38 points. Let's give it some time.

Reaction score
I remember a team that everybody said had the greatest defense of all time, the 85 Bears. I also remember them walking into Miami on a Monday night undefeated, and watch Marino and company rip them up for 38 points. Let's give it some time.
I kinda feel that way in general as far as being patient on the growth of all 3 phases. We kinda got spoiled by some great D weeks 1-3. The vast majority of us knew we were a work in progress all along, but we got a little ahead of ourselves there. Understandable after beating down the Bears and Vikings to open.

Let’s let the season unfold as it’s a long 16 weeks with plenty of time to improve. I just enjoy watching us grow, I still feel like we haven’t had the “complete” game yet.. but it’s coming at some point and there’s going to be a threshold where we hit our stride... a noticeable “Wow” moment. I think we all feel it coming.. let’s cool our Jets.

I’d honestly be fine going 10-6 or 11-5 and then just beating up a couple of playoff caliber teams. I don’t want to win ****. I just want to win.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a team that everybody said had the greatest defense of all time, the 85 Bears. I also remember them walking into Miami on a Monday night undefeated, and watch Marino and company rip them up for 38 points. Let's give it some time.
Some consider Marion the greatest quarterback of all time though, and he was at his peak at that time. Your point is a good one, however. One game does not define the season. The run defense has been poor for three straight games though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive line was absolutely manhandled vs the Eagles. No pass rush and they were pushed all over field on running plays. Like I said after Gute paniced and had no plan B when he cut Daniels, the D line doesn't have NFL caliber players after Clark. After 4 games it shows. Run defense is fifth worst in the NFL. Don't expect that to change much this season. Pass defense is greatly improved. That doesn't help much when its routinely 2nd and 4. You can **** and dunk to TE's and RB's all day at that point and exploit poor covering LB's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our Dline wasn't pushed all over the place. We definitely had troubles filling lanes behind them though. Plan B for Daniels? LOL, what was your plan B had you kept him? LOL he's expensive and not playing, but we should have huh?

Look this team needed a lot of work, it still needs work. We needed and got 2 starting guards, 2 pro bowl caliber OLB's and 2 awesome starting safeties in 1 off season and people act like our GM was sitting on his hands without a plan. You guys need smack back to reality. Our ILB's are weak and the fact that we're down to a Wil Redomond already to try and help doesn't help. But it's where we are. But I swear you guys just write narratives on what you think is the case rather than what is in front of you.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our Dline wasn't pushed all over the place. We definitely had troubles filling lanes behind them though. Plan B for Daniels? LOL, what was your plan B had you kept him? LOL he's expensive and not playing, but we should have huh?

Look this team needed a lot of work, it still needs work. We needed and got 2 starting guards, 2 pro bowl caliber OLB's and 2 awesome starting safeties in 1 off season and people act like our GM was sitting on his hands without a plan. You guys need smack back to reality. Our ILB's are weak and the fact that we're down to a Wil Redomond already to try and help doesn't help. But it's where we are. But I swear you guys just write narratives on what you think is the case rather than what is in front of you.
I would've drafted a d lineman in the first round instead of Gary. Maybe the Packers wouldn't have the fifth worst run defense in the NFL. Keeping an out of shape Daniels was still a better option than playing Lancaster and Lowry. They flat out stink. Did you watch the last few Packer games? There were huge holes in the d line in the running game. At this point, its not scheme that can be "fixed" Its takent and after Clark its a joke.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would've drafted a d lineman in the first round instead of Gary. Maybe the Packers wouldn't have the fifth worst run defense in the NFL. Keeping an out of shape Daniels was still a better option than playing Lancaster and Lowry. They flat out stink. Did you watch the last few Packer games? There were huge holes in the d line in the running game. At this point, its not scheme that can be "fixed" Its takent and after Clark its a joke.
By seasons end, the Packers won't be the 5th worst rushing defense. They've gotten worse as they go thru their already weak ILB guys and are putting weaker on the back end, but I think we'll be getting some guys back to help fix that.

Yes I watched the games and the Run D is having issues. But Daniels sitting in the training room was your solution and eating up 10million in cap space? you think this front office "panicked" and let Daniels go without a plan? They replaced 6 freaking starters in a single offseason with good to excellent players and you think they don't know what's going on? and your solution was a guy that isn't even playing?

If you think Lowry stinks, I question if you've been watching? About the worst thing I've seen him do was miss a tackle in the Broncos game, but then so did Kenny on the same play. It happens. But he's been holding his own in the defense, penetrating and doing what he should. When A linebacker doesn't fill the gap he's supposed to, that's not on the Dline.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By seasons end, the Packers won't be the 5th worst rushing defense. They've gotten worse as they go thru their already weak ILB guys and are putting weaker on the back end, but I think we'll be getting some guys back to help fix that.

Yes I watched the games and the Run D is having issues. But Daniels sitting in the training room was your solution and eating up 10million in cap space? you think this front office "panicked" and let Daniels go without a plan? They replaced 6 freaking starters in a single offseason with good to excellent players and you think they don't know what's going on? and your solution was a guy that isn't even playing?

If you think Lowry stinks, I question if you've been watching? About the worst thing I've seen him do was miss a tackle in the Broncos game, but then so did Kenny on the same play. It happens. But he's been holding his own in the defense, penetrating and doing what he should. When A linebacker doesn't fill the gap he's supposed to, that's not on the Dline.

A-stinking-Men

It boggles my mind how some folks refuse to admit how crazy amazing of an offseason GB had (and afforded it too boot honestly). Daniels was a favorite of mine, but there is no logical argument to have kept his aging, play falling, bloated contract self other than for sentimental reasons....and those NEVER are worth it.

I just miss a healthy ILB group for us...even healthy it is the weak cog in the wheel (outside Martinez)...

Montravious I still feel is growing into his own so long as he can get healthy, and that will assist the front...however like clearly seen multiple times if the DL hit the line and position right, but the LBs don't plug the remaining holes right there isn't any Pro-Bowl loaded DL that won't be part of a unit giving up 100+ yard rushing games.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A-stinking-Men

It boggles my mind how some folks refuse to admit how crazy amazing of an offseason GB had (and afforded it too boot honestly). Daniels was a favorite of mine, but there is no logical argument to have kept his aging, play falling, bloated contract self other than for sentimental reasons....and those NEVER are worth it.

I just miss a healthy ILB group for us...even healthy it is the weak cog in the wheel (outside Martinez)...

Montravious I still feel is growing into his own so long as he can get healthy, and that will assist the front...however like clearly seen multiple times if the DL hit the line and position right, but the LBs don't plug the remaining holes right there isn't any Pro-Bowl loaded DL that won't be part of a unit giving up 100+ yard rushing games.
Totally agree.... however if Daniels is truly still unemployed....I wonder what his current health is....

scratch that ... isn’t he on the Lions roster?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree.... however if Daniels is truly still unemployed....I wonder what his current health is....

scratch that ... isn’t he on the Lions roster?
yes, he's on their roster, sat out TC because of injury, played some relatively unproductive downs and is now out injured.

Reaction score
There’s several options, but one is to bring Burks on slowly by limiting his snaps. I honestly don’t expect much from Burks coming off a chest injury and I’d give him only enough snaps to get him comfortable in there, when possible on passing downs.

I’d feel comfortable feeding Ty 30-50% of the snaps and keep both their sets of legs fresh. I’d use him primarily when they are running the ball more.

Hoping Montravius is back. He was the proposed starter next to Clark this offseason. I’d also like to do similarly and rotate Kingsley Keke in for Montravius.

Lastly, I’d like to bring Amos up for run support on occasion and force Dak to beat us in the air.

D

Deleted member 6794

As per our past disagreements, did I see that King is listed as questionable with a groin for the Dallas game? I hope not cause he actually has been playing pretty well except for a couple of stinky plays.

The Packers haven't released an injury report for this week so far, today will be the first time they have to for the Dallas game.

Things are pretty even. You're going to see so called upsets every week
I don't see any dominant teams this season it's wide open .

The Patriots and Chiefs have looked pretty dominant so far.

Like I said after Gute paniced and had no plan B when he cut Daniels, the D line doesn't have NFL caliber players after Clark.

Daniels wouldn't be an upgrade over players currently on the roster.

Members online

Latest posts