OT Issues

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As I posted above: My concern is not about Newhouse, it's about depth and I'm not suggesting Thompson has to do something now, but if Sherrod isn't ready to start the season IMO Thompson should acquire a vet for insurance. So I wouldn’t categorize the situation as dire at this point. If Sherrod gets healthy, activated, and looks improved I don’t think Thompson has to bring in a vet. OTOH, if Sherrod starts the season on the PUP list I think they should bring in the best vet backup OT available. I don’t have a name in mind but somewhere at 1265 Lombardi Avenue is a prioritized list just for this situation – I’d go by that list and even pay a late round pick if I had to.

Hey, maybe Herb Taylor will defy his history and do OK tomorrow night. But chances are there’s a reason he’s been out of the league for the past three seasons, save one game. As a Packers fan I’m rooting for him but if I were McCarthy I’d be extra careful regarding Rodgers’ health. Regarding Datko all I’ve read about him so far in camp is he hasn’t looked good. And it’s one thing to be injury prone but even more concerning IMO that he’s battled (only) shoulder injuries through high school and college and missed most of his senior year. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to contribute this season. Again, I’m rooting for him but if I had to guess I’d guess the practice squad is his destination.

Of course as a Packers fan I would prefer my opinion is wrong if the result benefits the Packers. So I think it’d be fantastic if Taylor, Datko, McCabe, or Allard step up and provide adequate depth at LT this season if Sherrod can’t go. But in addition to being a Packers fan, I try to be a realist and realistically I don’t think that’s likely.
I guess that's my point, I don't know of a better OT available at this point. It's not like the season's is going to start tomorrow and I do believe in Datko to make a difference. You read what you read about this guy but that doesn't speak to his progression. He's been out for a very long time, he's coming back and was considered a major talent before he was injured. I'm feeling strongly that he will make a difference this year.
The reason I'm am optimist is the Packer have a knack for bringing unknown talent along. Perhaps Taylor shows up and makes a difference. Just that it's easy to say to go grab an OT from free agency but who the heck is out there?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess that's my point, I don't know of a better OT available at this point. ... Just that it's easy to say to go grab an OT from free agency but who the heck is out there?
As to a better OT available keep in mind we are (or at least I am) talking about an OT better than Taylor, Datko, or Allard. That's not a very high bar IMO as two of them have never taken an NFL snap, haven't impressed in camp and the other has been out of the league for more than two years. The issue is certainly not acquiring a high priced FA, it's about acquiring an adequate backup OT. If you want specific names check the article I linked to "If the Packers are buying…" Also I'm sure the Packers know of more than a few OTs currently on other rosters that may be - or soon will be - available. For example when they traded for Ryan Grant, I didn't know anything about him so if I were advocating for bringing in a RB from another team at the time, I wouldn't have included him on the target list.

BTW, I don't know if Reggie Wells was brought in to backup mostly OT or OG. He's started 91 games in the league but only 10 at RT and 2 at LT. Perhaps if Sherrod isn't available they're thinking about Lang or Bulaga to LT and they want a vet available to backup at OG/RT in case EDS has to fill in at OC. As I indicated above, I hope Sherrod is ready the first week of September and this is all moot.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As to a better OT available keep in mind we are (or at least I am) talking about an OT better than Taylor, Datko, or Allard. That's not a very high bar IMO as two of them have never taken an NFL snap, haven't impressed in camp and the other has been out of the league for more than two years. The issue is certainly not acquiring a high priced FA, it's about acquiring an adequate backup OT. If you want specific names check the article I linked to "If the Packers are buying…" Also I'm sure the Packers know of more than a few OTs currently on other rosters that may be - or soon will be - available. For example when they traded for Ryan Grant, I didn't know anything about him so if I were advocating for bringing in a RB from another team at the time, I wouldn't have included him on the target list.

BTW, I don't know if Reggie Wells was brought in to backup mostly OT or OG. He's started 91 games in the league but only 10 at RT and 2 at LT. Perhaps if Sherrod isn't available they're thinking about Lang or Bulaga to LT and they want a vet available to backup at OG/RT in case EDS has to fill in at OC. As I indicated above, I hope Sherrod is ready the first week of September and this is all moot.
Hey Jack! You wuz right and I waz wrong. It seems it's important to the brass. If I was to guess I'd say Wells would play guard behind EDS and Lang would play tackle. I think the Packers are comfortable to some degree with Lang's ability on the edge.
I will say this.... I'd hate to be Ted Thompson right about now. But yea, the bar wasn't set very high and when you're talking about protecting Rodgers or even his backup the stakes are pretty high.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Wells will stick but I think it indicates that Thompson has concerns about depth. I think he will continue through the preseason to look for some help there.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts