Oren Burks

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they want to use Gary to create interior pressure, there's a really easy way to do that... line him up at 3T.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Oren Burks is still one of those players I expected to have such a high upside, but never got there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oren Burks is still one of those players I expected to have such a high upside, but never got there.
Hopefully he has been looking at film everyday and figuring out how to react. Otherwise he is only a special teamer.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's apparently a pretty smart guy... I dunno, maybe the Fangio system helps him. It might breathe some life into a few of our underwhelming players.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another guy that I wonder why he's still on the roster.

Because a team still needs above average/good special teamers that are cheap - if nothing clicks when his rookie contract is up or a cheaper rookie/UDFA comes in he holds value to an extent.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because hes on a rookie deal and decent to good special team player

Because a team still needs above average/good special teamers that are cheap - if nothing clicks when his rookie contract is up or a cheaper rookie/UDFA comes in he holds value to an extent.

All well and good, but what this team needs more is people who can have an impact as regulars on offense and defense. Guys like Burks, Lowry, Lancaster, and King ain't it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All well and good, but what this team needs more is people who can have an impact as regulars on offense and defense. Guys like Burks, Lowry, Lancaster, and King ain't it.

I fear some of you expect all 53 players on a roster to be game changers and/or plug and play level starters. Just not the case, nor possible. No one has defended Burks as being anything more than he is, nor think he holds a roster spot for his play on 1st, 2nd or 3rd downs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was a starter I'd agree, but every team has roles for guys like Burks. Good enough athlete, hasn't put it together for a regular position so has an important role on special teams. Those guys round out the bottom of rosters across the league and are cheap. We could use more like him on special teams actually.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The good news in regards to Burks, he is still relatively cheap insurance ($25K) to carry into the preseason. If he makes the final 53, he makes it because either the Packers still see potential in him at ILB or they feel he is a plus to special teams and better than other options in his price range.

Has he played like a starting caliber ILB? Not at all, but then again, in Green Bay that bar is set pretty low. He has one more shot to prove himself worthy, but unless he stays healthy and improves, I don't see him around after the final cutdown, unless we just have no better depth options.

He would be around a $950K cap savings to cut, but you still have to pay whomever is taking his place, so the net gain isn't that much.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont expect all 53 guys to be stars Tyni. Not what I said at all. I would rather have a bunch of UDFA with upside to fill the bottom half of the roster then known second-tier JAGS like the guys I mentioned above. This team lines up with Lowry and Lancaster next to Clark again and King starting at corner again and I will guarantee you they're going nowhere. Get better, not more of the same.

Reaction score
I always thought of Burks more as College tweener triangle being forced a NFL square hole.
it was Really his Sophomore campaign at Vanderbilt that was his breakout year..when he converted from DB to Safety. He only played in 10 games but had 52 total tackles, 2tfl, 3 INT, 1TD and 5PD. Then they switched him again to LB.
3 position changes in 3 seasons.

As a Safety in a comparable 16 game season that rounds to:
87 tackles
4 TFL
5INT
2TDs
8PD

I’m not sure where that grades, but I know enough to know it’s very good production back there, so nobody can convince me that he’s not cut for that cloth.

At 233lbs., Burks had the same combine 40 time as HaHa Dix (4.59vs4.58) Burks is stronger (18 reps) jumps higher (39.5” vertical), Has elite lateral (6.82-3cone)and an incredible near 11’ Broad and beat Dix’s 20 yard shuttle! Are we possibly playing him out of position?

I get the impression he’s being yanked around too much. I understand they had to work around 2 consecutive season injuries, but I feel he needs to focus on what he does best. He has proven good at reacting when given ample time, in space. He’s not been good reading plays real-time on a dime (lacks instinct). I know he’s not a prototype Safety at 6’3”X233lb, but he played like one when put in space. Nobody would think a 6’3” 250 RB would be ideal. But here we are Henry.

I’m hoping our new DC can evaluate him and reign in his assignments where his strengths are utilized and not trying to stretch him thin. I’d hate to see that much athleticism thrown away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I always thought of Burks more as College tweener triangle being forced a NFL square hole.
it was Really his Sophomore campaign at Vanderbilt that was his breakout year..when he converted from DB to Safety. He only played in 10 games but had 52 total tackles, 2tfl, 3 INT, 1TD and 5PD. Then they switched him again to LB.
3 position changes in 3 seasons.

As a Safety in a comparable 16 game season that rounds to:
87 tackles
4 TFL
5INT
2TDs
8PD

I’m not sure where that grades, but I know enough to know it’s very good production back there, so nobody can convince me that he’s not cut for that cloth.

At 233lbs., Burks had the same combine 40 time as HaHa Dix (4.59vs4.58) Burks is stronger (18 reps) jumps higher (39.5” vertical), Has elite lateral (6.82-3cone)and an incredible near 11’ Broad and beat Dix’s 20 yard shuttle! Are we possibly playing him out of position?

I get the impression he’s being yanked around too much. I understand they had to work around 2 consecutive season injuries, but I feel he needs to focus on what he does best. He has proven good at reacting when given ample time, in space. He’s not been good reading plays real-time on a dime (lacks instinct). I know he’s not a prototype Safety at 6’3”X233lb, but he played like one when put in space. Nobody would think a 6’3” 250 RB would be ideal. But here we are Henry.

I’m hoping our new DC can evaluate him and reign in his assignments where his strengths are utilized and not trying to stretch him thin. I’d hate to see that much athleticism thrown away.

While Burks is an elite athlete it's also possible he's just not a good enough player to have an impact on defense at the pro level.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry's specialty is lbs..maybe he can get something out of him.
After rewatching some games from 2020..that middle of the defense and corners..with a few exceptions, seemed slow and just pass poor at tackling.
I hope those days of letting the opposing offense dictate the game are finally behind us!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looked at Burks' scouting report from 2018... his measurables, strengths & weaknesses (analysis, over-running plays, shedding blocks) are extremely similar to '21 draft's Jabril Cox. Cox is .07 seconds faster in the 40, but Burks' has 5" better vertical & 8" further broad jump. IMHO no need to draft an ILB unless it's in the 1st 3 rounds (Collins, Davis, Bolton, Werner), already have small(er), 6'-2"ish 230-240lb guys with varying speed & talents.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looked at Burks' scouting report from 2018... his measurables, strengths & weaknesses (analysis, over-running plays, shedding blocks) are extremely similar to '21 draft's Jabril Cox. Cox is .07 seconds faster in the 40, but Burks' has 5" better vertical & 8" further broad jump. IMHO no need to draft an ILB unless it's in the 1st 3 rounds (Collins, Davis, Bolton, Werner), already have small(er), 6'-2"ish 230-240lb guys with varying speed & talents.

Except Cox is actually good at football and Burks was transitioning from safety.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except Cox is actually good at football and Burks was transitioning from safety.
Burks played multiple positions in numerous different D's in college so NOT being great at play analysis shouldn't surprise anyone. 3rd year into the GB system, 1st yr. (same as everyone else) under Barry I think we may see better play out of him in '21. If he fails it's on him, but he's got the size & athleticism to excel.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointment on defense but i think you keep him around as a special teams ace. Hes one of the few players in that unit that seems to know what hes doing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hes one of the few players in that unit that seems to know what hes doing.

While I agree he will probably be with us for another year and he might "know what he is doing", his only problem seems to be .....doing it. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, Captain pointed out to me that you were talking about Burks knowing what he was doing on Special Teams. I must have read that too fast and thought you meant on defense...my bad.

Best case scenario, he has a monster year and signs cheap.

Worst case scenario, he has a monster year, we pay him huge money and then he takes the Nick Perry career vacation package.

Most probable scenario....he plays out his rookie deal in GB, playing mostly special teams and backup, isn't resigned and latches on with various teams for year or 2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Burks played multiple positions in numerous different D's in college so NOT being great at play analysis shouldn't surprise anyone. 3rd year into the GB system, 1st yr. (same as everyone else) under Barry I think we may see better play out of him in '21. If he fails it's on him, but he's got the size & athleticism to excel.

Just for the record, Burks is entering his fourth season with the Packers, the last one on his rookie deal.

While I agree he will probably be with us for another year and he might "know what he is doing", his only problem seems to be .....doing it. ;)

easyk was talking about Burks knowing what he's doing on special teams. I don't expect him to have a significant impact on defense this season.

Members online