Oren Burks

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What is everyone’s thoughts on Oren Burks?

I honestly found his 2018 campaign to be a disappointment. For a third round pick, I just really was not impressed with anything he did. In comparison Martinez and Ryan were 4th round picks and their rookie seasons had me feeling comfortable with them as starters. Change my mind on Burks.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's got a shot. It takes some time for those weak side LBs who aren't overly physical to adapt to the NFL. Myles Jack was ineffective in year 1, but improved significantly in year 2. Jayon Brown was another recent sample. Even R. Smith didn't set the world on fire. But I don't think that it should keep us from taking one at this point. Competition is good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was showing signs before he got hurt. I have nothing that makes me feel really strong one way or the other. Martinez made me more comfortable. Ryan didn't really though. Always thought he was rather limited.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks struggles with reads and taking on blocks.

With the DL in front of him, taking on blocks won't happen a lot. His read on the other hand...lotta time in the film room young man.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd bring in Burr-Kirven or Cashman if available in the 5th. They were extremely production in college, instinctual, and tested very well.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Burks struggles with reads and taking on blocks.

With the DL in front of him, taking on blocks won't happen a lot. His read on the other hand...lotta time in the film room young man.
I think this is why I was so disappointed in him. His football IQ was supposed to be what set him apart and ultimately increased his draft stock. I saw no football IQ and little instincts when he was on the field. Great guy off the field, but he needs to put in work this offseason.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is why I was so disappointed in him. His football IQ was supposed to be what set him apart and ultimately increased his draft stock. I saw no football IQ and little instincts when he was on the field. Great guy off the field, but he needs to put in work this offseason.

I think his athleticism is what set him apart, and versatility.

Even if he does have a high IQ, ILB in the NFL is a very new position to him. It takes reps, experience, to get there. Be patient with the kid for Pete's sake.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a high football IQ and good instincts. He was a DB for 3 years and switched to LB his final year. Stepping up to the NFL is difficult. Still learning a position makes it all the more difficult.

He is an incredible athlete and a hard worker. He got better every game in college and is still a work in progress. Let's see how he looks this year before we call him a bust. Having a very fast ILB with the cover skills of a DB will be tremendous for this defense. He needs to work on ILB skills of shedding blocks and navigating traffic downhill. This takes some time.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's definitely too early to give up on Burks by any means but I'm concerned about him ever developing into a decent inside linebacker at the pro level.

H

HardRightEdge

Let's recap. Burks injured his shoulder in the 3rd. preseason game and didn't see any snaps until week 3.

From that week on, up to the bye, his weekly defensive snap counts were 8, 20, 25 and 28.

After the bye, his weekly defensive snap counts were 8, 15, 0, 7, 3, 0, 0, 3, 5. At the same time he was a ST regular taking around 15-25 ST snaps per week which discounts any thoughts of some undisclosed or lingering injury.

The Packers were working him in, reviewed his performance on the bye week, and concluded his on-the-job training was not going very well. So, they dropped his snaps to more selective situations, then down to zero or near zero. Perhaps most concerning, with the Packers eliminated from contention, Burks saw little of the defensive field in the last 2 games.

Burks is back at square one. Now the so-called "second year jump" and the "light going on", as the cliches go, is certainly a possibility, but the prelude you expect to justify that rosy scenario is some kind of progression, however minor, throughout the rookie campaign. Burks regressed.

If Burks makes that jump and earns his bones, I would consider it a surprise and a bonus. The baseline expection should be the Packers will be looking elsewhere to fill that spot. And with the roster as currently consitutued, this defense would frequently look like a dime D when in fact it really isn't.

There are three rounds worth of picks to go. Maybe there will be a guy who looks like an ILB or hybrid type to compete for the job.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was an athletic project who wasn't able to settle into one position in college. He was also supposed to be longer term investment. We need at least one more year to know.

Reaction score
Just throwing a thought out there. I saw couple people say he’s been all around disappointing but two things. One he looked good on ST where as HRE pointed out he took most of his snaps. He was constantly in the returners face and several times he appeared to be there so fast he forced fair catches.
As noted previously, we knew he was a raw prospect with incredible measurables, so he’s a guy who wasn’t expected to come out strong from the blocks.

I feel like we will get a better idea in 2019 of his future production

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's got a shot. It takes some time for those weak side LBs who aren't overly physical to adapt to the NFL. Myles Jack was ineffective in year 1, but improved significantly in year 2. Jayon Brown was another recent sample. Even R. Smith didn't set the world on fire. But I don't think that it should keep us from taking one at this point. Competition is good.
Thing is... He's not Myles Jack or Jaylon Brown nor did he play like them in college or that first year. I WANT to like Burks but he's not doing anything to show it. can't get off blockers and if you were at the spring practice all you can hear was the coaches yelling at him to get off the block (even his college tape is poor).

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement for 2019, which I believe Gute is doing as well. Personally, I feel in 2020 and beyond he could move back to SS and supplement our depth there or just be a hybrid sub-package LB/S guy.

Case in point, the entire world cried for WRs this year(except for me of course:tup:), and Gute stuck with his guns from 2018; as he should. You can't just bail on your Draft Class from 1 year ago, they have to be given time to mature and grow. Gute can't just give up on Burks after 1 year, especially after he went down with an injury.

However, what I will say is Gute has shown he won't sit idle for too long like his predecessor Thompson did. He took a stab at ILB in the 7th Round with Summers from TCU; along with the UDFA Bolton from Oklahoma. To me this is Gute subtly looking for a replacement without spending hardly any capital at all. If he hits of course he will be a genius and supreme talent evaluator, and if he doesn't 7th Rounders and UDFAs are longshots anyway. But seeing as this defense is pretty much filled out for now, I expect an SEC ILB to come off the board within our first 4 picks in the 2020 Draft if Burks can't deliver.

BOLD PREDICTION: Pettine will give Gary ILB snaps in the preseason to see how he looks. With a 4.58 40 if he can maintain his zone, take good angles in the open field, and maybe drop 10-15 lbs to increase his twitch, Burks could be out of a job.

D

Deleted member 6794

BOLD PREDICTION: Pettine will give Gary ILB snaps in the preseason to see how he looks. With a 4.58 40 if he can maintain his zone, take good angles in the open field, and maybe drop 10-15 lbs to increase his twitch, Burks could be out of a job.

Gary has great straight line speed but he's not agile enough to line up at inside linebacker.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary has great straight line speed but he's not agile enough to line up at inside linebacker.

That's why it's a "Bold Prediction"....unlike brandon feel free to come back and call me out on it. I'm just letting you know I think otherwise.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's why it's a "Bold Prediction"....unlike brandon feel free to come back and call me out on it. I'm just letting you know I think otherwise.

I just think it's not realistic that Gary will excel at inside linebacker. I would be fine with being wrong if he develops into a stud at the position though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think it's not realistic that Gary will excel at inside linebacker. I would be fine with being wrong if he develops into a stud at the position though.

Why not though? The system Pettine runs is designed for pressure coming from the inside. So why not have your best athlete line up from that position and make a play? The only question mark is if he can be tasked to cover. We already know he can flow sideline to sideline, the enigma is man coverage. I could see him 1st and 2nd at ILB, then on 3rd moving to the edge depending on distance. If Clark/Keke/Lowry can eat blocks Gary has a beeline to the QB on a blitz. This is where the scouting report comes into play where he needs to develop his rush plan and hand technique. If that can be further developed he's a monster in there. I'm not concerned with him necessarily making interceptions but with Amos/Savage back there if he's a slight liability that can be managed. Martinez isn't horrible in coverage by any means either. It's a situation that I think will be considered.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not though? The system Pettine runs is designed for pressure coming from the inside. So why not have your best athlete line up from that position and make a play? The only question mark is if he can be tasked to cover. We already know he can flow sideline to sideline, the enigma is man coverage. I could see him 1st and 2nd at ILB, then on 3rd moving to the edge depending on distance. If Clark/Keke/Lowry can eat blocks Gary has a beeline to the QB on a blitz. This is where the scouting report comes into play where he needs to develop his rush plan and hand technique. If that can be further developed he's a monster in there. I'm not concerned with him necessarily making interceptions but with Amos/Savage back there if he's a slight liability that can be managed. Martinez isn't horrible in coverage by any means either. It's a situation that I think will be considered.

Gary would most likely be productive rushing the passer while being lined up at inside linebacker but I highly doubt he would excel at either defending the run or in coverage at the position which are the prime responsibilities of an ILB.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary would most likely be productive rushing the passer while being lined up at inside linebacker but I highly doubt he would excel at either defending the run or in coverage at the position which are the prime responsibilities of an ILB.

At 6'4 277lbs, I would hope Gary has no issues with defending the run. Burks on the other hand is 6'3 233, and he didn't seem all that great with the run, hence why Morrison seemed to have a chokehold on the early downs. Again, the only question is coverage, which can be managed by keeping his responsibility limited to a zone and tasking either Amos/Savage/Martinez with any man-to-man duties. Burks would probably most likely maintain his standing with the team if he develops into just a coverage line up for 3rd down with Gary rotating elsewhere within the front seven.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's Oren's job to lose at our open ILB spot. A full offseason with the team, hopefully no preseason injuries, would do him well in this system. For as smart as he is, losing playing time will affect any rookie. How he does this year will be very telling.

D

Deleted member 6794

At 6'4 277lbs, I would hope Gary has no issues with defending the run.

Gary doesn't have any issue defending the run when lined up on the LOS. In my opinion he's not agile enough to excel in that area as an off-ball linebacker though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts