Oren Burks-- Torn Pectoral

Reaction score
Packers play so much nickel they could use Josh Jones in sort of a hybrid role in the middle. If anything m, he should be ready to prove his worth.
It just may be a blessing in disguise for him. IMO He’s one more poor move from being led out to pasture.
That said, He’s certainly athletic enough to adequately cover his most notable positional deficiencies. He’s likely the more immediate answer.

My big concern is no amount of athleticism fixes a bad attitude. We’ve all seen examples of this around the league. At least in those examples, the silver lining is, they tend to be the stellar, more proven athlete. Josh Jones hasn’t given me a warm, fuzzy feeling lately. His recent actions are not consistent with a guy you want to bank on heavily.
But in a forgiving world, yes. He’s an option that would normally be in consideration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see now that Bolton practiced with the first team yesterday, Summers with the second team. That might mean something; it might mean they just want a better look at Bolton. We'll see who's out first on Thursday with the first teamers who are expected to get some snaps.

I can't say I took note of what Bolton was doing last Thursday but it will be worth taking a look now.

I don't believe they have Summers and Bolton playing the same positions.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fills a hole nicely, but squarely blocked leaving a nice lane for the RB for a big gain.
Not sure if we're seeing the same thing. I see Bolton quickly reacting and shooting the gap getting into the backfield. The RB cuts back, and if Summers was quicker to react and just alittle closer to the line of scrimmage that cutback gap would've been closed. (Pics- Summers:gray, Bolton: teal). Yeah Bolton left some plays on the field (same as Summers) like the delayed blitz and missed sack opportunity but for a guy that is barely 6 foot and 225 soaking wet playing as physical as he is, that's a real linebacker mentality.

Attachments

• 20190811_172629.jpg
    20190811_172629.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190811_172553.jpg
    20190811_172553.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190811_172514.jpg
    20190811_172514.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My big concern is no amount of athleticism fixes a bad attitude.
Thissss 100% even Jones said he isn't a linebacker. Jones doesn't have that mentality and doesn't help he has a **** poor attitude. If only Jones saw this as an opportunity to grow..

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
summers showed more in one preseason game than burks did all of last season.

Summers reminds me of Jake Ryan - Solid tackler, can stuff the run, but if you get him out in space one-on-one he's in trouble. Not an every down 'backer.

Burks is supposed to be more athletic, and GB was hoping he's develop along those lines. That's on hold for now.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Summers reminds me of Jake Ryan - Solid tackler, can stuff the run, but if you get him out in space one-on-one he's in trouble. Not an every down 'backer.
Agree. However i think Summers is definitely faster than Martinez and or Ryan. Just need more reps and experience.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no matter how you feel about burks or the guys in camp, this injury makes them weaker up the middle. the loss of daniels compounds this. smh

Ehhhh. Not really. He was a liability in the middle against the run anyways. Compound that with his strength being coverage and you probably get just as good, if not better results, in both run support and coverage by rolling with with Greene or Jones in a hybrid role.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if we're seeing the same thing. I see Bolton quickly reacting and shooting the gap getting into the backfield. The RB cuts back, and if Summers was quicker to react and just alittle closer to the line of scrimmage that cutback gap would've been closed. (Pics- Summers:gray, Bolton: teal). Yeah Bolton left some plays on the field (same as Summers) like the delayed blitz and missed sack opportunity but for a guy that is barely 6 foot and 225 soaking wet playing as physical as he is, that's a real linebacker mentality.
Summers had his share of things that needed work, this wasn't an example of him being great. I don't know what the responsibilities were on the play for either, but both go stoned by blockers. Summers wasn't filling a cutback lane, that would have been Bolton coming from the backside and shooting that gap. He got stoned in the lane by the TE. I have to imagine Summers responsibility was outside if the play bounced outside as well. He was not on the the backside of the play.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ehhhh. Not really. He was a liability in the middle against the run anyways. Compound that with his strength being coverage and you probably get just as good, if not better results, in both run support and coverage by rolling with with Greene or Jones in a hybrid role.
i'm talking about as a whole. they've lost two starters in middle of the D. this effects the starters and depth as they have to be replaced.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers play so much nickel they could use Josh Jones in sort of a hybrid role in the middle. If anything m, he should be ready to prove his worth.
By all appearances, that plan left the station in 2017. They drafted Burks, then played Whitehead and Campbell at the position in 2018 with Jones available, then just re-signed Campbell even though he's recovering from an ACL.

I would say the odds of Jones at ILB come Week 1 is somewhere between highly unlikely and cut from the roster. Special teams and safety backup is where he's at which is why he asked to be traded.

Reaction score
Agree. However i think Summers is definitely faster than Martinez and or Ryan. Just need more reps and experience.
I was thinking Summers was more in line with a less experienced version of Martinez. Solid tackler/very involved/obvious effort.
I went back and read up on his transition from Texas Christian into the NFL and his biggest deficiency is in pass coverage, not so much playing the run.
That’s a huge concern because that’s a big part of the ILB role adjacent to Martinez.
I’d feel totally comfortable with him filling in for an injured Martinez on short notice, but he’s a year (best case) from properly handling pass coverage assignments at this level.
Joshua Bynes? He looks like a candidate who could come in on short notice as far as remaining veteran options. He’s 29 (turning 30 later this month) but he’s coming off a solid year with 75 tackles, tied his career high in pass deflections (5) and sacks (2) both in the same season.
He’s likely a solid, short term fill-gap that buys us time, but he would give us a low cost solution I’d feel comfortable with until next season.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packers' history I would guess that they ride with who they have. But maybe they will do something outside the box and look for someone to bring in.

Gutekunst is running the team in a completely different way than Thompson did. I fully expect the Packers to look for a replacement for Burks before the start of the season.

I don't trust Jones to play the majority of snaps.

i'm talking about as a whole. they've lost two starters in middle of the D. this effects the starters and depth as they have to be replaced.

The Packers obviously didn't consider Daniels a starter anymore. In addition there was no guarantee Burks would have been a starter either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Bolton wasn't the backside linebacker on that play? He and Summers didn't get stoned by their blockers? What are you disagreeing with?

D

Deleted member 6794

lol...daniels was a cap move. not a football move. they cut jake ryan and clearly penciled burks as the starter.

The Packers released Daniels because the front office believed they could replace his production with younger players on the roster. While the cap savings definitely factored into the decision it was mainly a football decision.

Burks would have been given every chance to start in week 1 but it was far from a given that he would have actually played the majority of snaps on defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pachers are now left with cast offs and a 7th round draft choice as a starting linebacker. That's a massive hole that any competent o coordinator can exploit. Gute will have to make a move. Doubling down on Preston Smith was a big mistake. That cap space should have been used to fill glaring holes in the roster at d line, linebacker, back up tackle or cornerback. What happens if Martinez gets hurt? Not good! Playing nickel on every down like some suggest is a bad option. Again. o coordinators will exploit that weakness to the hilt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took care of glaring holes at OLB, we do not have glaring holes at DB and he put about the best 2 safeties he could have gotten this offseason back where we had none. The defensive line isn't evn a weakness let alone wrought with "glaring holes".

ILB was thin, and better to be thin on experience there than roll with what we had at OLB.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took care of glaring holes at OLB, we do not have glaring holes at DB and he put about the best 2 safeties he could have gotten this offseason back where we had none. The defensive line isn't evn a weakness let alone wrought with "glaring holes".

ILB was thin, and better to be thin on experience there than roll with what we had at OLB.
agreed but what was once a strength (DT) is now a question mark. they're rolling the dice at that position for cap purposes and keeping their fingers crossed. OLB, CB, and Safety seem to be in good shape now. ILB, which was everyone's weak link going into this season, has taken a hit. watch for the middle, first and second levels, to be a target early this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed but what was once a strength (DT) is now a question mark. they're rolling the dice at that position for cap purposes and keeping their fingers crossed. OLB, CB, and Safety seem to be in good shape now. ILB, which was everyone's weak link going into this season, has taken a hit. watch for the middle, first and second levels, to be a target early this season.
I don't think the Dline has taken a hit. I think they easily have better depth than last year and are better up front right now today, than we were last year. Smith, Clark, Lowery, Smith is easily as good as Matthews, Daniels, Clark, Perry. and now we can put Zsmith down on passing downs and Gary and Fackrell on the field at the same time. Daniels was expendable. We're not weaker, and they did better as the season went on without Daniels last year. He was essentially already replaced.

Burks didn't provide much last year, and he won't this year. We didn't get weaker. We didn't get better either. There isn't enough cap space or draft picks to fill everything at once. ILB was and continues to be a weak spot but it's not much different than last year and ILB wasn't the reason we weren't better. it was far down on the list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs and most of those major reasons are looking much better this year.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Dline has taken a hit. I think they easily have better depth than last year and are better up front right now today, than we were last year. Smith, Clark, Lowery, Smith is easily as good as Matthews, Daniels, Clark, Perry. and now we can put Zsmith down on passing downs and Gary and Fackrell on the field at the same time. Daniels was expendable. We're not weaker, and they did better as the season went on without Daniels last year. He was essentially already replaced.

Burks didn't provide much last year, and he won't this year. We didn't get weaker. We didn't get better either. There isn't enough cap space or draft picks to fill everything at once. ILB was and continues to be a weak spot but it's not much different than last year and ILB wasn't the reason we weren't better. it was far down on the list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs and most of those major reasons are looking much better this year.
we can argue details but the fact that everything has gotten better on D except DT and ILB is the point imo. cap space won the day.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I don't think we got worse at DT. Daniels was already gone for a good chunk of last year and his absence wasn't all that noticeable, in fact, until a bunch of other guys went down or were held out, they actually looked better than when he was in there. He's been replaced.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
News articles saying he's declining surgery and might return this season

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts