Oren Burks-- Torn Pectoral

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long he will be out, but this is the report.

I'm thinking they will look primarily to Greene, Campbell, and Jones in his absence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just saw and posted this in another thread.

Sucks big time for Oren and the Packers. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to find someone on the open market or even swing a trade. Way too thin at the position as it was, IMO.

I don't think Crawford, Summers or Bolton are starters just yet.

Time to bring in Preston Smith's old teammate Mason Foster?

Both Preston and new ILB coach Kirk Olivadotti should be pretty familiar with the guy.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad there's no 'sad emoji '. I really hoped Burks took that second year leap, hope for a speedy recovery. But I'm also glad to see Summers looking sharp out there and is running sideline to sideline. Bolton looks blazing fast too and is not afraid of contact (do worry bout him getting injured- much smaller guy but plays big). Crawford looks like a thumper and plays much slower than the two mentioned above.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm thinking they will look primarily to Greene, Campbell, and Jones in his absence.

Campbell took a bunch of snaps at linebacker next to Martinez last season looked decent. Morrison also looked great at times diagnosing plays and getting into the back field. I was like DAMN, he plays much faster than his combine time.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Campbell took a bunch of snaps at linebacker next to Martinez last season looked decent. Morrison also looked great at times diagnosing plays and getting into the back field. I was like DAMN, he plays much faster than his combine time.

I don't believe Morrison is with the team anymore. And he wouldn't really be a candidate for that WILL spot. But I know what you mean.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Sucks big time for Oren and the Packers. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to find someone on the open market or even swing a trade. Way too thin at the position as it was, IMO.

Both Preston and new ILB coach Kirk Olivadotti should be pretty familiar with the guy.

As Burks was more of a hybrid LB/DB, I would be looking more towards the safeties who play near the LOS to replace most of his snaps.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Morrison is with the team anymore. And he wouldn't really be a candidate for that WILL spot. But I know what you mean.
I totally agree with you. Morrison isn't the best fit for that WILL position but he was serviceable at best and tbh shocked me how fast he was. I want to see Greene and others take some rep at the position and hope they don't look too lost and play with awareness and toughness.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Morrison isn't the best fit for that WILL position but he was serviceable at best and tbh shocked me how fast he was. I want to see Greene and others take some rep at the position and hope they don't look too lost and play with awareness and toughness.

Someone like Morrison would be good next to Martinez for the rare snaps taken in base defense. They will hope that Crawford and/or Summers can fill that role.

The Lions and Vikings could both show them some offensive looks that put them in base defense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

summers showed more in one preseason game than burks did all of last season.

H

HardRightEdge

Several reports (Demovsky, Packers Wire at USA Today) have Campbell heading to the PUP list, still recovering from the ACL.

H

HardRightEdge

Absent Burks, it looks like a committee job. And its not like he locked up the job anyway.

Maybe Summers in base, one of the safeties in nickel/dime. We might see Amos getting snaps there if the other guys get beat (or beat up) too often.

It was a position with Burks a question mark and a lack of depth coming in. Maybe we'll see a late vet add off the street, or by trade as with Morrison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
How long is the typical recovery period for a torn pectoral muscle?
As with any muscle tear, it depends on the severity of the tear. From what I’ve read, some pectoral tears can linger for months or even years.
This really sucks for Oren, he worked hard to get his chance. This is two years in a row he’s entered the season injured, I really hope this was a low grade tear and he is able to play later this year.

I could see Crawford or Jones moving inside eventually. I think both have the tools to play adequately, but this is not a good immediate scenario due to neither having extensive experience there. Also with the ? mark above Josh’s head this is concerning.
Crawford was recruited to play safety but got moved around at Illinois. However he was a standout player for us and made the 53 after being signed off the street well into training camp. That’s sais something. in itself.
Then he comes in as mop the floor duty, but performs highly in his ST role, earning team Captain by seasons end. That speaks volumes to me. He also looked good in his first 2019 exhibition game.
Crawford is my pick at ILB and he reminds me of a young version of a guy by the name of Joe Thomas who went on to Dallas a few years ago.
That said, if there is a FA with any clout at ILB that can play the pass we should consider bolstering this position now.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
summers showed more in one preseason game than burks did all of last season.

I liked what I saw from Summers, but keep in mind that it was a preseason game, played against backups.

I really wouldn't want to see the Packers final 53 include only the ILB's currently on the team. Maybe one of the rookies or safeties steps up, but what happens when Martinez or that player goes down?

They have some flexibility with Preston Smith, but again, I don't think a long term solution.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad there's no 'sad emoji '. I really hoped Burks took that second year leap, hope for a speedy recovery. But I'm also glad to see Summers looking sharp out there and is running sideline to sideline. Bolton looks blazing fast too and is not afraid of contact (do worry bout him getting injured- much smaller guy but plays big). Crawford looks like a thumper and plays much slower than the two mentioned above.
Summers looked like he can play, but has some learning to do still. Plenty of good stuff the other night though. Bolton? I thought he looked terrible Thursday night. I know it was the 1st one, but i saw nothing that showed me he was a player. Bad angles, bad tackling, not impressed.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I LOVE 95% of what I've seen out of Summers so far. Like to see him in the 4th quarter maintain the pace he has in the 1st or not drop off so much. I'll be honest I keep remembering back to Brian Noble as a rookie when I see this kid, so are we even sure Burks would've been #1 in week 1 WITHOUT the injury?

H

HardRightEdge

I LOVE 95% of what I've seen out of Summers so far. Like to see him in the 4th quarter maintain the pace he has in the 1st or not drop off so much. I'll be honest I keep remembering back to Brian Noble as a rookie when I see this kid, so are we even sure Burks would've been #1 in week 1 WITHOUT the injury?
No, we're not sure.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bummer. He didn't really have a chance to play.

With the Packers' history I would guess that they ride with who they have. But maybe they will do something outside the box and look for someone to bring in.

H

HardRightEdge

I see now that Bolton practiced with the first team yesterday, Summers with the second team. That might mean something; it might mean they just want a better look at Bolton. We'll see who's out first on Thursday with the first teamers who are expected to get some snaps.

I can't say I took note of what Bolton was doing last Thursday but it will be worth taking a look now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see now that Bolton practiced with the first team yesterday, Summers with the second team. That might mean something; it might mean they just want a better look at Bolton. We'll see who's out first on Thursday with the first teamers who are expected to get some snaps.

I can't say I took note of what Bolton was doing last Thursday but it will be worth taking a look now.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He makes his appearance about 2 minutes into this video. Of course being on defense they're mostly Texans highlights. Fills a hole nicely, but squarely blocked leaving a nice lane for the RB for a big gain. Though I think Greene or Sullivan punched the ball out on that one eventually. Then shoots thru to Webb but I don't think he even got a hand on him despite a clean run to the backfield and he shot out for a big gain.

Hard to tell with coverage. Either they were off screen or by the time a guy ran to his area it was coming out already so never really showed him having to stick with anybody.

Hardly an entire body of work, but something for now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers play so much nickel they could use Josh Jones in sort of a hybrid role in the middle. If anything m, he should be ready to prove his worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts