**** or get off the pot Thompson, or

H

HardRightEdge

https://www.gomn.com/sports/if-aaro...s-contract-the-packers-are-in-serious-trouble

Seems he has an opt-out clause in his contract after 2017.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

There is a "Potential Out 2018" in sportrac, but don't really understand what that means. Can opt out after 2017...and that's what Cowherd's referring to, maybe?
Spotrac routinely sticks "potential out" lines in contracts.

It appears to be the point where dead cap first hits a manageable amount or zero with the years played and cash payout noted.

Evidently, they introduce this note to illustrate where the team could opt out (i.e., release the player) without incurring an impractical amount of dead cap. Take a look the some of the bigger Packer contracts and you'll find the same thing: Matthews, Bahktiari., Cobb, Bulaga, etc.

Here's a question for you. Have you ever heard it mentioned, prior to this thread, that Rodgers' contract has a player option for the last two years? Don't you think that would be kind of a huge thing in Packerland? Don't you think one of the beat writers might have mentioned it at some point?

Cowherd's a blowhard and that other site might just be cribbing on him in the big fat echo chamber that is NFL commentary.

Find a reliable source. If by some bizarre circumstance this happens to be true then Thompson should absolutely, positively be fired and I would not wait one day or one hour to do it.

Think about it. Cowherd suggests Rodgers can just walk scott free, not even subject to 3 years of franchise tags. What GM in his right fricking mind would allow such a thing? Not even the most vehement Thompson haters would think he is capable of such a catastrophic blunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

What eagles are you talking about in this thread?
To clarify, I clicked "reply" on the wrong thread. I was replying to this:

Absolutely not, in all pro sports you see it every year now, guys are bailing to create the next super team to chase a championship.

This time I was referring to the Philadelphia kind of Eagles, not the "Desperado" kind of Eagles, specifically the 2011 version. They loaded up on free agents (Asomugha, Babin, Jenkins, Mathis, et. al.), and were dubbed the "Dream Team". They went 8-8.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see....HHCD, Spray bottle, Bulaga(out), Perry(out), and RandallRollins. Deal these for some upgrades, and ****....get the hell outta my driveway.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this kind of talk even relevant or is it just some blowhard full of hot air?

Since it is brought up, I don't want Rodgers to leave cause I love the guy and want him to stay to get one more ring than Favre with GB.
On the other hand, I think he has already proven he is better than Favre with those amazing last minute to win it drives and Hail Mary touch downs.
If he really and honestly really feels like he won't get another ring with GB and chooses to leave to a team that he thinks he has a better chance, just pray and hope it's not with a div. rival and I will understand.
If he decides to stay, I hope that part of the reason will be for the fans. At least I would like to think so.
And who knows? He just might still get that other ring with us.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this kind of talk even relevant or is it just some blowhard full of hot air?
If Cowherd was right about Rodgers being able to opt out, he would have a point. But it sounds like he really screwed the pooch on that one.

I don't expect Rodgers to leave the Packers, but Cowherd is right on one thing (IMO): The Packers should be doing more to put a better team around Rodgers while they have the chance. Chances are, we will never have a quarterback this good again in our lifetimes.

Reaction score
Aaron just said in an interview a few weeks back that he preferred to retire in GB. Now that could mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, but I don’t think he’d have any reason to lie.

Then again?? maybe Aaron was in collusion to oust Martellus Bennett.. and convinced the team Doctor to risk throwing away his entire career in an effort to press Martellus to play.. knowing all along it would irritate Martellus into saying he wanted to retire. Knowing good and well and all along Ted would use that savings from that very intricate conspiracy to extort Funds from Martellus’ prorated contract in order to buffer Aarons own future contract! Brilliant!! Talk about a Jeopardy Champion move! :cool:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
For those of you who are interested in more of this conversation, here is Cowherd, Jason Whitlock, Tony Gonzalez, and Eric Mangini discussing the topic. The Rodgers talk starts at 5:19. I like Whitlock, I find his comments are usually sensible. Cowherd even mentions that the Packers could franchise Rodgers. Again, I don't think Rodgers leaves GB, but I do think they need to put more help around him.

H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Cowherd even mentions that the Packers could franchise Rodgers.
They can franchise him 3 successive seasons and that's after the 2 seasons left on his contract. Cowherd now seems to understand this and still persists in asking, "should Rodgers get out of Green Bay?" As I said twice before, that would require a "trade me or I retire" threat.

The Packers will of course extend Rodgers' contract at $30+ mil per year and he will gladly accept it.

The dictionary definition of a "cowherd" is a guy who is like a shepherd but for cows. Here's a message for the posters in this thread: Cows are not very smart. Don't be a cow.

Latest posts