**** or get off the pot Thompson, or

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that video is going is going to anger some people. But Rodgers has eyes, he has to see what's going on. It must have crossed his mind "Wow, this is the load that I've been carrying every game?". At this point, I'm not sure you can make an argument that they haven't wasted some years off of Rodgers career. Between McCarthy's stubbornly hanging on to Capers, and Ted's cheap ways that have been hailed as genius, I sure hope it hasn't cost us Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

Cowherd: "Aaron Rodgers can opt out after this year."

Aaron Rodgers is under contract to play football for the Green Bay Packers, Inc. through 2019. I have never heard nor seen anything to indicate the last two years of his contract are at the player's option. That's because there is no such option. If there was you can be darn sure he would have been extended before this season.

Further, there's the little matter of the franchise tag in 2020 and beyond. Ask Drew Brees how that works. Was it two or three years in succession the Saints slapped it on him?

So, what Cowherd is talking about is anybody's guess, as usual.

Now, Rodgers could pull a "trade me or I retire". There's no reason to believe that would happen no matter how loudly Cowherd shouts it from the rooftops.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Cowherd has the wrong year. Doesn't matter. The point is, Rodgers isn't going to be around forever, they need to be taking advantage of his presence while we have him. Because once he's gone, whether it be from retirement or however, that opportunity is never going to come around again.

H

HardRightEdge

Doesn't team loyalty mean anything anymore?
Cowherd is not Aaron Rodgers' agent.

Regardless of this non-issue, loyalty is a two-way street. From the player's perspective, the team's loyalty toward him does not extend past the dollar amount of the guarantee or the $ amount placed on his value when free agency comes around. Career ending injury? "Please clean out your locker. I've got a roster spot to fill."

Some players may feel like the team they play for is a "family". That status is reciprocated to very few players. Unless you're a franchise QB, the "family" thing is something of a self-delusion.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
With the way the team is playing without him did we really stand a chance at winning the SB with him. We probably would of did the same crap like last season where we had to of scored on EVERY possession in order to win.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to think about it, but in all reality Rodgers holds all the cards in this scenario, and honestly I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to get out of town to chase another championship. I certainly feel his career in Green Bay will be looked back on as 1 of the biggest lost opportunities in nfl history. Perhaps the greatest to ever play the position, and the organization has failed to put the pieces in place around him to make it happen. Really getting frustrating watching this unfold.

H

HardRightEdge

With the way the team is playing without him did we really stand a chance at winning the SB with him. We probably would of did the same crap like last season where we had to of scored on EVERY possession in order to win.
I wouldn't make that assumption. I had high hopes for this season given that nobody in the NFC looks all that impressive. I can't say I've even seen a really good football game this season. NE's defense still sucks when they happen to run into a decent offense. I don't think the Packers needed to be great this season and could have gone a long way despite the flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Hate to think about it, but in all reality Rodgers holds all the cards in this scenario, and honestly I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to get out of town to chase another championship. I certainly feel his career in Green Bay will be looked back on as 1 of the biggest lost opportunities in nfl history. Perhaps the greatest to ever play the position, and the organization has failed to put the pieces in place around him to make it happen. Really getting frustrating watching this unfold.
Q for the mods: Can we get an "oeverdramatic" emoticon?

H

HardRightEdge

All I’m saying is if I was in his shoes there is no doubt the thought crosses my mind on a regular basis.
Yeah, well, like I said he'd have to do a "trade me or I retire" routine.

He's got 2 years left on his contract and then could be exclusive-tagged 3 straight seasons at the current average of the top 5 QBs in the league.

There's no unilateral "opt out" in this scenario until 2023.

Why anybody would click on a Cowherd link I couldn't say.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers needed to be great this season and could have bone a long way despite the flaws.
They had a good start, and probably could have gone a long way. Probably didn't have enough to go all the way though. The defense doesn't look improved enough, and it seems like there's always some breakout NFC team that manages to top them. This year it might have been the Eagles.

It's funny that the Rams are having success right now, and are putting up a lot of points. Because I remember when it was apparent that the Favre window was closing, the Rams "greatest show on turf" team was having its run. Now I don't think that Rodgers window is closed, but this year has opened up a lot of eyes as to just how subpar the team is when Rodgers is out. I know I, for one, did not suspect just how bad it really was. And the Rams are up and coming, just like before.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now I don't think that Rodgers window is closed, but this year has opened up a lot of eyes as to just how subpar the team is when Rodgers is out. I know I, for one, did not suspect just how bad it really was.

There were several posters around the forum being afraid of the team not being any good aside of Rodgers with the quarterback covering up for a ton of shortcomings over the past several years. Gosh, I wish I would have been wrong about it.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

I am not the right person for that inquiry. If you want to ask for more forum features PM Robdog about it as he has the code to edit the forums.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not the right person for that inquiry. If you want to ask for more forum features PM Robdog about it as he has the code to edit the forums.
I'm kind of partial to this, even though it is not an icon:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Edit, just found this one

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I hardly put any stock into anything Cowherd says. What I do think though is that Thompson is getting hella stale in that front office. And I really hope Dom Capers's clock is ticking to go off at season's end. I do think if the defense isn't fixed enough to be superbowl caliber, then Rodgers may have enough of a beef about something that little has been done with.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, what Cowherd is talking about is anybody's guess, as usual.

Sounds like Cowherd has the wrong year.

https://www.gomn.com/sports/if-aaro...s-contract-the-packers-are-in-serious-trouble

Seems he has an opt-out clause in his contract after 2017.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

There is a "Potential Out 2018" in sportrac, but don't really understand what that means. Can opt out after 2017...and that's what Cowherd's referring to, maybe?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of partial to this, even though it is not an icon:
Is she watching footage of Rodgers breaking his collarbone there?

There is a "Potential Out 2018" in sportrac, but don't really understand what that means. Can opt out after 2017...and that's what Cowherd's referring to, maybe?
Maybe so. I thought it was odd that Cowherd would be so far wrong on something so significant.

Thompson's on thin ice IMO. If he lets Rodgers slip away, he'll have to sneak out of town.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Is she watching footage of Rodgers breaking his collarbone there?

Maybe so. I thought it was odd that Cowherd would be so far wrong on something so significant.

Thompson's on thin ice IMO. If he lets Rodgers slip away, he'll have to sneak out of town.
If TT lets Rodgers leave the fanbase will be bringing the Torches and Pitchforks harder than they did with Favre. I dont hate TT let Favre walk as he said he retired and Pack moved on. But with this hoo boy things would get Ugly fast with this organization.

There will probably be death threats sent and people stalking his house. If some of the hardcore fans contacted the Players family when they dident play well awhile back that will be nothing compared to what the hardcore fans will do to TT. I do not want to see that happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is going to be done before Rodgers is up for an opportunity to stay or go. I suspect IF and it's a giant IF we do poorly enough and there is talk of taking a QB that may be there or not, there will be a changing of the guard before that happens. I haven't figured out if Ted's last move will be a draft and sign Rodgers to a contract that finishes his career here or if it will just to be sure the franchise in shape for the new guy financially to lock up Rodgers as his first order of business or make the pick to move on from him. But i do not think Ted is going to be at the helm when there's a chance Rodgers will go elsewhere. I can't believe people are even talking about it now, as him opting out isn't even a possibility.

Members online