Optimism Card

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As you can see, I haven't posted much and haven't posted in awhile. (But I do read the board very often). There has been a lot of doom and gloom lately, and rightfully so. For years we have played the "next man up" card and suddenly we are being forced to play "next man up for THE man" card. I'm choosing to remain optimistic. Could it be that I have Packer blinders on? Maybe. But there are a few reasons that I am choosing to be optimistic.

1. I heard on TV this week that Green Bay has the 3rd easiest schedule remaining. Granted, the Giants are improving and records do not always mean everything. But in this situation that we are in, this is a huge plus and we couldn't ask for much more than that.

2. We are still in a 3-way tie for first. We aren't entering this situation playing catch-up. I know that the Bears technically have the tiebreaker over us, but that won't be decided until the last game of the year......when Rodgers is back.

3. The Bears and Lions play each other on Sunday. One of these two teams will lose on Sunday. If it is the Bears (and we win against the Eagles) then they drop to 3rd behind us and the Lions. If it is the Lions (and we win against the Eagles) this will give us wiggle room when we play them on Thanksgiving.

4. 2010 Season. I'm not necessarily referring to the season, but an event that occurred. Rodgers goes down with a concussion against the Lions and Flynn plays less than stellar. With a week of preparation, plays extremely well against a great Patriots team. This is a situation the staff has faced before.

5. The running game. We have something that we haven't had in quite sometime. Lacy is a beast and Starks seems to be in 2010 mode. If we can get defenses worried about the run, then with a weeks worth preparation, we can get a pass game going as well.

6. Backs against the wall. Sometimes being the underdog when you are a good team is a plus. And this team has a history of playing well when they have to.

I know there is plenty of reason to be down and out. But that isn't going to help anything. This is the card that we were dealt and it isn't going to change for 3-6 weeks. The bottom line is that we don't know about Seneca Wallace yet and how he is going to mesh with our team. Monday night was not much of an indication. I believe I read yesterday that Rodgers said that the coaching staff has rallied around Wallace, the players have rallied around Wallace and that the fans should, too. That is what I am choosing to do. I'm sure there are a lot of people who can contradict what I wrote and hey, maybe with good reason. But all I know is that I have plans at the end of December to turn on the TV and hear about how this team overcame adversity and won the NFC North.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It's all about who's HOT at the end of the season.... right not we went from a broil at mid season to barely luke warm....3-6 weeks with no QB puts us on track to count our blessing for a wild card game.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I won't lie. I'd take a wild card spot. I think we can win the North, but if it's a wild card spot we get, then I'd be fine with it.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As you can see, I haven't posted much and haven't posted in awhile. (But I do read the board very often). There has been a lot of doom and gloom lately, and rightfully so. For years we have played the "next man up" card and suddenly we are being forced to play "next man up for THE man" card. I'm choosing to remain optimistic. Could it be that I have Packer blinders on? Maybe. But there are a few reasons that I am choosing to be optimistic.

1. I heard on TV this week that Green Bay has the 3rd easiest schedule remaining. Granted, the Giants are improving and records do not always mean everything. But in this situation that we are in, this is a huge plus and we couldn't ask for much more than that.

2. We are still in a 3-way tie for first. We aren't entering this situation playing catch-up. I know that the Bears technically have the tiebreaker over us, but that won't be decided until the last game of the year......when Rodgers is back.

3. The Bears and Lions play each other on Sunday. One of these two teams will lose on Sunday. If it is the Bears (and we win against the Eagles) then they drop to 3rd behind us and the Lions. If it is the Lions (and we win against the Eagles) this will give us wiggle room when we play them on Thanksgiving.

4. 2010 Season. I'm not necessarily referring to the season, but an event that occurred. Rodgers goes down with a concussion against the Lions and Flynn plays less than stellar. With a week of preparation, plays extremely well against a great Patriots team. This is a situation the staff has faced before.

5. The running game. We have something that we haven't had in quite sometime. Lacy is a beast and Starks seems to be in 2010 mode. If we can get defenses worried about the run, then with a weeks worth preparation, we can get a pass game going as well.

6. Backs against the wall. Sometimes being the underdog when you are a good team is a plus. And this team has a history of playing well when they have to.

I know there is plenty of reason to be down and out. But that isn't going to help anything. This is the card that we were dealt and it isn't going to change for 3-6 weeks. The bottom line is that we don't know about Seneca Wallace yet and how he is going to mesh with our team. Monday night was not much of an indication. I believe I read yesterday that Rodgers said that the coaching staff has rallied around Wallace, the players have rallied around Wallace and that the fans should, too. That is what I am choosing to do. I'm sure there are a lot of people who can contradict what I wrote and hey, maybe with good reason. But all I know is that I have plans at the end of December to turn on the TV and hear about how this team overcame adversity and won the NFC North.
Bravo!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waaaay, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much logic and sense packed into your post.

Have you ever seen one of those yippy dogs on a short leash in a yard. They keep barking and running to the end of the leash and getting choked, doing it over and over again until they final settle down and learn their boundary. All of the forum members that are currently holding pitchfolks will settle down in a few weeks. They will never be happy, but they won't be as yippy as they are now.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha, I've noticed several unsatisfied people. I understand people being upset, but a little optimism never hurt.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good first post to start the thread.
What a great reminder.
I feel pretty good about our chances against the Eagles.
I really hope to come in here after the game to see and share our excitement after a Packers win.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a buddy who is as big of a Packer fan as I am, but he's pretty much thrown in the towel now and has written this season off. His reasoning? A depleated receiving corps., pre-season OL injuries.....still more and more injuries, bad calls, lost challenges, poor play calling, poor defensive play, just bad luck, etc., etc., etc. Says it just wasn't to be this year right from the start! The injury to Aaron just pushed him over the edge. The injuries are frustrating year after year, but there's still a long way to go in the season and I like our chances with the remaining schedule, as you mentioned, too. I told him that we're "healing" and will eventually begin to get key personnel back. Just have to try and weather the storm these next few weeks and hope for the best results. The teams we are battling in the division will lose some, too. I don't wish injuries on anyone, but with the way things are going, who knows, Stafford could miss some games, as well. My buddy will be tuning in to watch the games just as I will, I know! He's a die-hard, but just frustrated! Got to keep the faith!

On a positive note; there is light at the end of the tunnell......Cutler will be returning soon :D

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next six weeks:

Eagles: They play it seems is week to week one good week then suck the next, plus it's at home so if Wallace plays just good enough, and the Lions beat the Bears we then hold the tie-breaker. 24-21 W

@Giants They seem to have found some rythem but they still have a horrible defense, Eli isn't acting like Eli, but they're at home, so maybe a close win. 31-28 W

Vikings Um yea, even with out Aaron we still did torch their defense while running the ball 180 yrds, Wallace if he throws at lest 200 yrds and 1-2 TDs another win 34-24 W

@Lions: Even before the season started I circled this one as a game changer, the Lions until Monday were the only team in the way for our third consecutive division title, and they still are. No we'll lose this one, Lion fans will be energized. 38-21 L

Falcons:
What a bummer year for them, they've been blown out several times and seem to get worse each passing week. 30-17 W

@Cowboys:
Oh this one's a toughie, but i'll lean towards a loss, if Rodgers were starting then it might be a win, but even though Romo can still choke at the end. 35-27 L

Steelers:
If all goes well Rodgers should be back for our last home game.

Bears: If all goes well, Rodgers blows the bears out in revenge and maybe ending their playoff chances.

So At best the Packers would end the season at 11-5 again and maybe the #5 seed, the Bears maybe and hopefully end 10-6, the Lions will win the division and get the #3 seed

@Bears
@Steelers
Bucs
Pack
@Eagles
Ravens
Giants
@Vikes

Final Rec: 13-3/12-4 | 2013 Division Champs

Lions
Ravens
@Rams
@Vikes
Cowboys
@Browns
@Eagles
Pack

Final Rec: 10-6/11-5

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we can win at least 2 outta the next 3 games. We gotta have Rodgers back to have a decent shot at beating the lions at home w/Megatron this time. Hopefully Flynns shoulder is fine so he can help us win while Rodgers is out.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I have any optimism left....
The injuries - the Seahawks/Niners/Saints probably securing home-field advantage - then Rodgers gets injured.

I was all on "Next Man Up!" and "Keep Calm and Carry On!" - but now? - I'm full on Hudson from Aliens. :eek:

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can I keep going with this optimism thing? 49ers/Panthers are two potential wildcard teams that we could be battling it out with. They both play each other Sunday, so one is guaranteed a loss.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think you meant that.

And if I may:

7. Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL AND have a very enviable financial position. We have about 25 Million in cap space next year to extend some of our stars. The near future is looking very bright. As a comparison, Minny has the 2nd highest cap number this season - despite sucking. (but hey, at least they have a GM who will sign FAs) Next year - NO, Cowboys, Lions, and Seahawks are all over the cap.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think you meant that.

And if I may:

7. Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL AND have a very enviable financial position. We have about 25 Million in cap space next year to extend some of our stars. The near future is looking very bright. As a comparison, Minny has the 2nd highest cap number this season - despite sucking. (but hey, at least they have a GM who will sign FAs) Next year - NO, Cowboys, Lions, and Seahawks are all over the cap.

I was referring to the game when the Packers lost 7-3 when Rodgers had the concussion.

Good point about salary caps!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got a buddy who is as big of a Packer fan as I am, but he's pretty much thrown in the towel now and has written this season off. His reasoning? A depleated receiving corps., pre-season OL injuries.....still more and more injuries, bad calls, lost challenges, poor play calling, poor defensive play, just bad luck, etc., etc., etc. Says it just wasn't to be this year right from the start! The injury to Aaron just pushed him over the edge. The injuries are frustrating year after year, but there's still a long way to go in the season and I like our chances with the remaining schedule, as you mentioned, too. I told him that we're "healing" and will eventually begin to get key personnel back. Just have to try and weather the storm these next few weeks and hope for the best results. The teams we are battling in the division will lose some, too. I don't wish injuries on anyone, but with the way things are going, who knows, Stafford could miss some games, as well. My buddy will be tuning in to watch the games just as I will, I know! He's a die-hard, but just frustrated! Got to keep the faith!

On a positive note; there is light at the end of the tunnell......Cutler will be returning soon :D
Tell your friend that you can't judge the Packers based on just one game alone with the back up coming in cold without much time to prepare.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I've got a buddy who is as big of a Packer fan as I am, but he's pretty much thrown in the towel now and has written this season off. His reasoning? A depleated receiving corps., pre-season OL injuries.....still more and more injuries, bad calls, lost challenges, poor play calling, poor defensive play, just bad luck, etc., etc., etc. Says it just wasn't to be this year right from the start! ...

One word for this guy: 2010.

Season ain't over till it's over.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Another reason for optimism:

That Packer shirt that I was wearing last Monday was the same one I wore during the game that Finley got hurt. Once it makes the trek through the laundry process, I will relegate it to the bottom of the drawer and it will not be worn again this year. Bad shirt. Very bad shirt.

Next week, I will be wearing a luckier shirt.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is out 4-6 weeks do I think they make the playoffs? No. If hes back for the Lions game on Thanksgiving do I think we have a shot. Yes.

I see us going 1-2 in the next few games without Rodgers. We could absorb all of the other injuries this year because we had Rodgers. Without him, I just don't see it.

That's what I think anyways. Am I being negative or throwing in the towel? Nope, just being a realist. I will be out there screaming and yelling for them to win just as hard as if we had a fully healthy team. It's what we do.

Let's do this.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your last point is great. This team is overlooked and now the underdog. But, a huge difference maker is returning: Claymaker. And he will be sure the defense is fired up after last week's effort. This team, collectively, will have a chip on its shoulder after hearing all the media talk about how this is a lost season. We have a defense capable of being very good to great, and a running attack that still hung 200 on the Bears when they knew we couldn't pass the ball. If Wallace (or whoever) can be steady and not turn the ball over, we can hang in there and salvage the season until Rodgers returns.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Have you ever seen one of those yippy dogs on a short leash in a yard. They keep barking and running to the end of the leash and getting choked, doing it over and over again until they final settle down and learn their boundary. All of the forum members that are currently holding pitchfolks will settle down in a few weeks. They will never be happy, but they won't be as yippy as they are now.

There was an old bull and and a young bull standing on bluff overlooking a fertile pasture loaded with young heifers. The young bull says to the old bull, "What d'ya say we run down there and have our way with one of them heifers?" Old bull thinks on it a minute and replies: "How 'bout if we WALK down there and have way with ALL of them heifers?"

The young guys get all blown out of shape at the first sign of trouble. We old farts will sit back and wait for the feces to hit the oscillator and then react accordingly. :) By and large, getting older sucks but in some ways we do get smarter. I'm not going to let my head explode until it's warranted.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waaaay, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much logic and sense packed into your post.

I don't know El Guapo your over confidence did do you in when it came to Lucky Dusty and Ned.

Members online

Latest posts