Ones gotta go

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think this team needs a true # 1 receiver. Nelson is getting older, Adams is a # 2 at best, Cobb is overpaid. They need an elite level playmaker such as Brown, Bryant, ODBJ, Julio.

I think CMIII is cut pending a huge year in 17.

I'd like to see a better CB too. Basically this franchise is a mess going forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

Basically this franchise is a mess going forward.

I agree the Packers have more holes on the roster than in previous years and it's possible some others will open up until next offseason but there's absolutely no reason to consider the franchise a mess by any means.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing with adam. since that fake spike play to adams he was put on the map as the up coming phenom that could be our go-to receiver. Not because of that one catch but he was "noticed" mind you since that play.

BUT since that tragic injury to nelson happened in 2015, adams' felt too much pressure of having to feel the void of having the number 1 receiver hurt and out the entire season. that put a lot on his shoulders and he wasn't ready for it. I believe that played a big part in his poor performance in 2015. lack of confidence, being a young player and asking too much from him resulted in his 2015 lackluster performance.

fast forward to 2016. with Nelson back put less pressure on Adams. Now players like him in that scenario can grow, gain confidence, and we all witnessed he does have the ability to be a great player.

With that said, I feel he will be resigned and his performance this year will make many pack fans proud. Mark my word! my opinion on adams is a 180.

I'm more worried about davis than adams at this point.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk. I think Devante is going to think he's a #1...and want #1 money especially if he duplicates this year. If TDT does decide to pay him then say bye to either Cobb or Jordy because I can't phantom paying 3 WRs #1 wr money. Expect to see more of Geronimo next season and 1 of the three steadily get phased out of the offense. Should be interesting!!

I thinks he will be very stupid to pound his chest at this point with rod at the helm demanding more money than he is worth. I don't think he has enough confidence to play with another QB to have the same performance he will have with our boy A Rod(so damn fortunate to have him on our team gives me chills). I think he will be smart enough to want to stay here with rod and learn as much as he can before he goes off with another QB. I thinks Rod knows adams more than he knows his own abilities at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm more worried about davis than adams at this point.

There's no reason to be worried about Davis as he was a non-factor during his rookie season and I don't expect his role to significantly increase any time soon.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to be worried about Davis as he was a non-factor during his rookie season and I don't expect his role to significantly increase any time soon.

that's what i'm worried about. he might be a wasted pick. too bad we didn't pick up a nice CB instead. :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I agree, that would be like worrying about Jeff Janis a few years ago.....wait, is Janis still on the team? :coffee:

I wouldn't give up on Davis just yet. You never know........wait...again....didn't we say that about Janis? :cautious:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, it's pretty difficult to select impact players in the fifth round.
At least for TT at WR. If I counted correctly, TT has drafted 9 WR's in the 4th round or later and unless Janis or Davis do something, they have all pretty much done nothing for the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL......no worries, I was just giving you the business...."Said Wally to the Beaver"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Usually I catch it when I accidentally thumb something on the like bar

Reaction score
Burnett is a good player, but he isn't on the spectrum of Woodson or Collins. He's becoming a box player as he ages.

After this season, he will be 29 with over 700 career tackles on his body. If he is good with something team friendly and/or short, then fine. But that's not the type of guy you make a priority. You end up paying for past production.

If you're good, you're almost certain to get a second contract in Green Bay. But unless you're great, you're almost certainly not going to get a third.

All else being equal, any GM worth his salt keeps the 25 year old wide receiver over the 29 year old strong safety.
Salt or no salt TT almost ALWAYS goes to Dollar Tree and Big Lots and avoids Sacks Fifth Ave and Macys. Ironically, our depiction of Morgan is exactly the reason TT keeps him. Morgan is getting to the age threshold that most teams won't want to make more than a very limited offer and he would have to learn a new system within that time frame which makes it risky proposition unless they steal him.. He'll stay in GB or retire unless someone overpays for an aging S

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Salt or no salt TT almost ALWAYS goes to Dollar Tree and Big Lots and avoids Sacks Fifth Ave and Macys. Ironically, our depiction of Morgan is exactly the reason TT keeps him. Morgan is getting to the age threshold that most teams won't want to make more than a very limited offer and he would have to learn a new system within that time frame which makes it risky proposition unless they steal him.. He'll stay in GB or retire unless someone overpays for an aging S

I don't think that's true. Barry Church, a 29 year old SS of lesser ability than Burnett, just got 4/26. I also don't think that's true of TT's tendencies. He seems to almost always keep good players on 2nd contracts, and very rarely onto 3rd's.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Salt or no salt TT almost ALWAYS goes to Dollar Tree and Big Lots and avoids Sacks Fifth Ave and Macys.
So Ted is cheap? You didn't see the post in the other thread?
Here's how much each team spent in cash on player salaries between 2013 and 2016.
  1. Eagles: $613.9 million
  2. Broncos: $587.7 million
  3. Seahawks: $584.3 million
  4. Packers: $583.1 million
btw New England was 30th IIRC.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not agree with the premise of the OP. Keep them both. In D&D Adams takes priority and will certainly get his second contract - but Burnett is a key piece of the defense and cannot simply be replaced by a guy with the same measurables. In that I'd say they aren't really comparable.

I don't know what's up with Davis. He looked good in a couple games, then had some key focus issues, then disappeared completely. I suspect he'll get a fresh start in TC this year, unless there's more to the story.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know what's up with Davis. He looked good in a couple games, then had some key focus issues, then disappeared completely. I suspect he'll get a fresh start in TC this year, unless there's more to the story.

Rumor has it, Davis and Janis started studying the playbook together, enough said.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You can spin a story any which way to Sunday but everyone knows those salaries were primarily tied up in a small group of athletes. When you get past what he considers "premier" players.. he's very frugal and this year is no exception. Nearly 1/5 of that was 1 player

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-the-real-highest-paid-players-of-2015/
I'll use this seasons cap #s as they are easiest to get and get away from the average salary end-of-contract unlikely to be earned numbers.
Number of players with $10m+ cap hits in 2017 (2016 final 8 & NFCN teams):
Houston, Minnesota, Chicago 1
Atl 2
NE, KC, & Detroit 3
Dallas 4
GB & Seattle 5
Pitt 6
Looks to me like Ted is "cheap" on the rest of the roster because he has to be and his number of well paid players is greater than many other teams.
Added tidbit, Cleveland and the LA Rams also have 5 each.
Edit, remove Oakland and add KC because.

Last edited:

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante probably improved as much as any receiver in the league last season, and will only continue to get better. By end of last year, he really seemed to get it. He is a rare commodity that will exponentially improve with 12 at the helm, and is still pretty young. No way you let this guy walk

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can spin a story any which way to Sunday but everyone knows those salaries were primarily tied up in a small group of athletes. When you get past what he considers "premier" players.. he's very frugal and this year is no exception. Nearly 1/5 of that was 1 player

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-the-real-highest-paid-players-of-2015/
It's kind of the nature of the beast isn't it? you only have so much money to spend. That's it. The NFL doesn't let them print more. They can play around with it for a little while, but then as soon as one doesn't work out, you must pay for it. Being creative with the cap might "fix" some problems, but it is guaranteed to cause bigger problems at some point in time. For many, that is sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
I'll use this seasons cap #s as they are easiest to get and get away from the average salary end-of-contract unlikely to be earned numbers.
Number of players with $10m+ cap hits in 2017 (2016 final 8 & NFCN teams):
Houston, Minnesota, Chicago 1
Atl 2
NE, KC, & Detroit 3
Dallas 4
GB & Seattle 5
Pitt 6
Looks to me like Ted is "cheap" on the rest of the roster because he has to be and his number of well paid players is greater than many other teams.
Added tidbit, Cleveland and the LA Rams also have 5 each.
Edit, remove Oakland and add KC because.
I wouldn't argue with him being forced to because his spending IS polarized. Because he spends heavily at the top he is often left looking in the bargain bin. He tends to like undrafted players to fill some of the roster to balance it. I didn't say it was a horrible idea. I didn't say cheap is always bad. I said he was cheap "most" of the time which i believe is true.
I don't always agree with his picks but I'm no expert either. Because his spending is polarized.. his critics and supporters are going to be also. He's a good GM overall but he needs to hit on this draft because I think he missed a bit in the offseason moves.
IMO we've laid low long enough, he shouldve been pushing a few more chips in this year solidify either OL, Corner or LB and preferably 2/3

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually... i believe the money works to where both can be resigned...if they stay at market price

If Davante wants something ridiculous 12mil +/yearly he can walk..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts