Ones gotta go

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That depends on what the market will bear and who else ya got at the time. Rodgers wanted to keep Cook; they got somebody else; everybody's happy.

I expect a WR in the top 3 picks, maybe top 2. If he plays well, then there's a decision.

Best guess:

1st. round: CB
2nd. round: WR
3rd. round: gas station or motel

I would not be disappointed with the selection of Evan Engram round 1. Could help replace Davante if he leaves. 6-3 1/2 235 4.39 good college production, team captain. Defense rounds 2 and 3....4, 5, 6, 7....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Burnett seems to suffer injuries all too often so it depends how well he plays and how much. He is stellar when he's at his best. But if I flip through my notes I see alot of mistakes or missed tackles! He is the best safety we've had in some time. It would suck if both Burnett and Dix hit FA, but I doubt it.

If Davante has a similar season as last he may over price himself to a team who thinks he's a #1.
Imo, we need to lose one of them next spring. Neither can cover outside the numbers and I don't think they pair well. The only way I'd like to keep both is if we drafted a real FS this year, let Burnett play up in that hybrid ILB role and move dix to SS. Or if either Rollins or Randall were moved into that FS role.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Imo, we need to lose one of them next spring. Neither can cover outside the numbers and I don't think they pair well. The only way I'd like to keep both is if we drafted a real FS this year, let Burnett play up in that hybrid ILB role and move dix to SS. Or if either Rollins or Randall were moved into that FS role.

Xavier Woods of La. Tech could be a good acquisition if they'd like a more traditional FS and just have Haha take over Burnett's role.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Xavier Woods of La. Tech could be a good acquisition if they'd like a more traditional FS and just have Haha take over Burnett's role.
I'd be fine with letting Burnett go get another big paycheck somewhere else. I'd rather spend money on Adams than Burnett. I doubt we'll re-sign all three of them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd be fine with letting Burnett go get another big paycheck somewhere else. I'd rather spend money on Adams than Burnett. I doubt we'll re-sign all three of them.

Yeah Burnett is low priority for me. SS/LB type on 3rd contract with lots of miles? I'll pass and I think TT will too.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we keep both.
Cobb will be sent packing, and replaced with a rookie. Burnett and haha will be capers safety net for his giant group of young CBs on their rookie contracts.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Burnett is low priority for me. SS/LB type on 3rd contract with lots of miles? I'll pass and I think TT will too.
Burnett is peaking imo. He started moving around and mixing it up like woodson used to, and Collins used to, and sharper did before them , and Butler did before him... it takes a while for those great safetys to develop...

Adams is replaced easier imo. But to take it farther, Cobb is replaced easier than Adams... and that's the direction. We should look imo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
House (5th round), Hayward (2nd), Hyde (5th)? I think we can all see the pattern for future drafts ~ an H named player in the 5th round, EVERY year, to keep the CB pipeline filled! Howard Wilson from Houston? ;).
Hairston would be ok with me in the 5th. I don't know if he's going to be a great pro or not, but it would get me 8 points in the draft contest. :D

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's learn a lesson from Cobb...don't pay WR1 money to a barely 1,000 yard guy who has AR to inflate his stats.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm wondering if you and I are the only people on earth who don't think Clinton-Dix is "all that" at single high safety. He's so often late to deep sideline balls in single high that we'd have to think he's not very adept at reading the play.

He's a strong safety type. Randall is the free safety on this roster though by the time they figure it out he'll be ready to retire. I don't see Rollins as FS material.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you and I are the only people on earth who don't think Clinton-Dix is "all that" at single high safety. He's so often late to deep sideline balls in single high that we'd have to think he's not very adept at reading the play.

He's a strong safety type. Randall is the free safety on this roster though by the time they figure it out he'll be ready to retire. I don't see Rollins as FS material.
I think they'd make a good duo. They'd be somewhat interchangeable, with Haha being a better enforcer, and Randall having the coverage and ball skills necessary to be a solid centerfielder.

Reaction score
I think Morgan was one of fans most underrated players until last year. I think it would be likely we keep Morgan over Davante. Both had a nice year.. but if you told me right this second pick one to be lost for the season I'd pick Davante. While Davante has a nice year, a big part was #12. As Poker said Aaron has proven time and time again to make Receivers look better than they would be on many teams. Davante going to Cleveland would only prove this point IMO. We saw it with Jennings, we saw it with JJ and I believe we'll see it with Cook again this year.
That being said.. I'm very eager to see how Martellus and Aaron gel.. this could very well be a Jermichael lookalike by next year. Yeah baby!! I think the current TE strength situation takes pressure off our #3 or #4 Wideout. We invested heavily there and we're gonna use it. Look to see our #3 possibly be at TE this year.
We've taken too many hits in the secondary and any more losses could set us back a year or two without going heavily into FA which is not our MO.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Burnett is peaking imo. He started moving around and mixing it up like woodson used to, and Collins used to, and sharper did before them , and Butler did before him... it takes a while for those great safetys to develop...

Adams is replaced easier imo. But to take it farther, Cobb is replaced easier than Adams... and that's the direction. We should look imo.

Burnett is a good player, but he isn't on the spectrum of Woodson or Collins. He's becoming a box player as he ages.

After this season, he will be 29 with over 700 career tackles on his body. If he is good with something team friendly and/or short, then fine. But that's not the type of guy you make a priority. You end up paying for past production.

If you're good, you're almost certain to get a second contract in Green Bay. But unless you're great, you're almost certainly not going to get a third.

All else being equal, any GM worth his salt keeps the 25 year old wide receiver over the 29 year old strong safety.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I think Dix belongs at SS too. I hope Brice pushes him there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm shocked to see the college coach of the Player accused of ****** assault today.
Honestly, not much shocks me anymore with high profile people (not just sports). Yes, their lives are lived under a microscope and they are harshly judged for mistakes, but that alone should make them realize "I am accountable for my actions and my position in life won't protect me from that."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers could just get every graduate from OSU and/or Bama, there probably wouldn't be a need to look elsewhere ;)

Has any football player ever graduated from either of those skools? :whistling:

You seem to understand and respond to sarcasm with sarcasm, yet you disagree with (red X) my sarcasm? Or is that just "subtle sarcasm" on your part? :rolleyes:

H

HardRightEdge

I think they'd make a good duo. They'd be somewhat interchangeable, with Haha being a better enforcer, and Randall having the coverage and ball skills necessary to be a solid centerfielder.
"Interchangeable" means the guys can play either position, as with Burnett and Clinton-Dix. One game last year, I noticed they alternated coming up in the box and playing single-high...tick, tock, one for you, one for me...to what end I'm not sure. It wasn't very confusing to the opponent. Maybe Capers likes to alternate the hitting and the sprinting to keep the guys in some balance of fresh throughout the game. In general, it gives you more flexibility in the event of injury when the #3 is strictly either a FS or SS type.

Randall's not a guy who could come up and stick his nose in against the run. Then again, neither is Brice. I agree that Randall is strictly a centerfielder. But if you wanted to mix up the look, you could drop Burnett pre-snap and bring Dix up. This of course will never happen for a couple of reason.

First, it's not like we should expect Burnett taking 40 snaps in the box this season. Yes, McCarthy said he wants to use him more at ILB, but I'd expect that to be something in the overall mix, how much based on the week's matchups. He'll be taking a lot more snaps at S to be sure unless everything starts miraculously clicking.

Second, Randall was a first round pick for cover corner, and gosh darn it, that's where we're going to teach him to play until we die trying or 4 years elapses, whichever comes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

You seem to understand and respond to sarcasm with sarcasm, yet you disagree with (red X) my sarcasm? Or is that just "subtle sarcasm" on your part? :rolleyes:
That's more confusing to me than Capers' defense is to the players. That's a sarcasm two-fer in case anybody didn't notice. We like versatility in our humor and our players, doncha know. See there, I did it again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's more confusing to me than Capers' defense is to the players. That's a sarcasm two-fer in case anybody didn't notice. We like versatility in our humor and our players, doncha know. See there, I did it again.

LOL.....was confusing to me as well. ;) I understand disagreeing with someone's opinion, but if you don't like someone's sarcasm...and you toss sarcasm back at it and disagree with the original sarcasm, without at least some sarcastic remark back as to why, then my sarcastic reply back to your sarcasm might fly right over your sarcastic head and yes, I am being a bit sarcastic. On 3.....ready hut hut hike!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It seems a lot of fans have forgotten about the terrible performance the Packers received out of the safety position when either Jennings or McMillian were starting at one of the spots. I would prefer Thompson to use the fifth year option on Clinton-Dix and to re-sign Burnett, especially as there's no other proven player at position on the roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It seems a lot of fans have forgotten about the terrible performance the Packers received out of the safety position when either Jennings or McMillian were starting at one of the spots. I would prefer Thompson to use the fifth year option on Clinton-Dix and to re-sign Burnett, especially as there's no other proven player at position on the roster.

We will see what the options are for a replacement going into the next offseason. But you can't keep the guy forever just because the guys before him was bad. But that also means finding a replacement, which would need to be a priority.

Maybe he will sign something short. I just think giving him a long extension after this year would be a mistake.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe he will sign something short. I just think giving him a long extension after this year would be a mistake.

I agree that I don't want the Packers to re-sign Burnett to a huge deal either but he should be brought back on a reasonable one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree that I don't want the Packers to re-sign Burnett to a huge deal either but he should be brought back on a reasonable one.

He'd have to want that though. If he has another season like 2016, he will probably be looking for ~4/28 based on this last offseason's contracts. Especially considering that this next FA class is not great at his position.

I think they need to draft someone after round 1, wherever the value falls, and see where that leaves them after the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts