On the Horizon

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the O-line in 2004 argument...

LT: Clifton appears to be on his last legs.

LG: Wahle is still good.

OC: Flanagan doesn't start in Houston.

RG: Rivera is out of the league.

RT: Tauscher is showing signs of slowing down (mental lapses, holding penalties, getting beat on the outside.

If you look at a team like the Chiefs. They used to have the best o-line in football. They didn't prepare for when guys like Roaf and Shields would leave. Now they have the second best back in the league averaging 50 yards a game.

The Future O-Line:

LT: College - receiving playing time inside until he can bulk up enough to protect Brett's (or Aaron's) blindside.

LG: Coston or Barbre: Coston's getting playing time and Barbre still learning the system.

OC: Wells - hasn't played great, but has been solid. Spitz can back him up.

RG: Spitz - been playing through injury, only second year. Palmer can back him up.

RT: Moll - the most athletic of our linemen, finally getting healthy. Maybe Coston

We have seven, good young linemen on our team. Given time, they should come around.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the O-line in 2004 argument...

LT: Clifton appears to be on his last legs.

LG: Wahle is still good.

OC: Flanagan doesn't start in Houston.

RG: Rivera is out of the league.

RT: Tauscher is showing signs of slowing down (mental lapses, holding penalties, getting beat on the outside.

If you look at a team like the Chiefs. They used to have the best o-line in football. They didn't prepare for when guys like Roaf and Shields would leave. Now they have the second best back in the league averaging 50 yards a game.

The Future O-Line:

LT: College - receiving playing time inside until he can bulk up enough to protect Brett's (or Aaron's) blindside.

LG: Coston or Barbre: Coston's getting playing time and Barbre still learning the system.

OC: Wells - hasn't played great, but has been solid. Spitz can back him up.

RG: Spitz - been playing through injury, only second year. Palmer can back him up.

RT: Moll - the most athletic of our linemen, finally getting healthy. Maybe Coston

We have seven, good young linemen on our team. Given time, they should come around.

Excellent post. That sounds like a plan. I do hope that Clifton and Tauscher can hang in there for a couple more years, but I'm not counting on it anymore.

Reaction score
I remember Pack93z, at the start of training camp you posted a link to a website that reported the Packers were very displeased with the off-seasons Colledge and Moll had.

At the time, it was strange to read because there were articles praising the development of our young o-line.

I'd be interested in reading that site again Pack93z, if you can remember the site and post a link. It'll be interesting to see exactly what reason they gave for Packers staff being upset with Colledge and Moll.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is the comment with Moll and Colledge..

http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2007/07/index.html

Coach Mike McCarthy is a little disappointed that second-year offensive linemen Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll were unable to pack on much weight during the offseason. While both players reduced their body fat, neither came anywhere close to gaining the prescribed 10 pounds.....

Here is more reading..

COLLEDGE DESTINED FOR TACKLE

According to a person close to the situation, the Packers would like to squeeze one or two more seasons out of Chad Clifton, and then turn his position over to Daryn Colledge. “That’s the current plan,” said the source. “The coaches see Colledge as a natural left tackle, and they are hopeful that [rookie] Allen Barbre will eventually be able to step in at guard.” And don’t expect the plan to change even if Colledge develops into a stud on the inside. “[GM] Ted Thompson drafted him to replace Clifton and nothing has changed his mind. In fact, the feeling that Colledge can be a top quality left tackle is higher now than it was 12 months ago.”

As for Barbre, the fourth-round pick from tiny Missouri Southern State has looked pretty good in the early going. “The kid is obviously very raw, but he’s a unique athlete who doesn’t seem to be in awe of his surroundings,” said a former scout. “I project him as either a guard or a right tackle at this level. I don’t think he has the lateral quickness to play left tackle.” And that’s another reason why Colledge is the heir apparent to Clifton. He does have the lateral quickness to take on the game’s best speed rushers. He just needs the experience. “[Miami defensive end] Jason Taylor made him look bad last season, but Colledge was put in an almost impossible position. Give him an entire offseason to work at left tackle, and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t pretty darn good.” It appears as if we’ll all find out for sure in the near future.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Pack93z. I've always thought Colledge looked more like a left tackle than a guard. I can see why the coaches wanted some of these guys to add some muscle. They're getting overpowered at times.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the comment with Moll and Colledge..

http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2007/07/index.html

Coach Mike McCarthy is a little disappointed that second-year offensive linemen Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll were unable to pack on much weight during the offseason. While both players reduced their body fat, neither came anywhere close to gaining the prescribed 10 pounds.....

Here is more reading..

COLLEDGE DESTINED FOR TACKLE

According to a person close to the situation, the Packers would like to squeeze one or two more seasons out of Chad Clifton, and then turn his position over to Daryn Colledge. “That’s the current plan,” said the source. “The coaches see Colledge as a natural left tackle, and they are hopeful that [rookie] Allen Barbre will eventually be able to step in at guard.” And don’t expect the plan to change even if Colledge develops into a stud on the inside. “[GM] Ted Thompson drafted him to replace Clifton and nothing has changed his mind. In fact, the feeling that Colledge can be a top quality left tackle is higher now than it was 12 months ago.”

As for Barbre, the fourth-round pick from tiny Missouri Southern State has looked pretty good in the early going. “The kid is obviously very raw, but he’s a unique athlete who doesn’t seem to be in awe of his surroundings,” said a former scout. “I project him as either a guard or a right tackle at this level. I don’t think he has the lateral quickness to play left tackle.” And that’s another reason why Colledge is the heir apparent to Clifton. He does have the lateral quickness to take on the game’s best speed rushers. He just needs the experience. “[Miami defensive end] Jason Taylor made him look bad last season, but Colledge was put in an almost impossible position. Give him an entire offseason to work at left tackle, and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t pretty darn good.” It appears as if we’ll all find out for sure in the near future.

Thanks Pack93z. Like i said, he's not strong enough yet. AND more importantly, he has to learn how to keep his body balanced.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that we have the guys with the talent to play tackle in the near future. That is not an easy position to fill.

I'm not going to give up on the guys we have just yet. They have been in the league since 2000 and "0" linemen usually can play at a quality level for ten years or so.

I do have to say I am surprised to see Clifton getting whipped over there like that on the pass rush. He normally will not let pressure get to Favre from his side.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge has been doing allright, imo. He sealed off the left side of the line on Wynn's long TD run last week. The most glaring mistakes I've seen have come from miscommunication between linemen or our tackles getting outright beat.

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing the reasoning behind having Coston start over Spitz.

From watching the game, Coston wasn't a huge improvement over Spitz, and there were moments where Coston let his man bull rush him backwards to create some disturbance.

Spitz has chemistry with the other 4 starters, and that was supposed to be something that improved our o-line play this year. There were articles talking about how the o-line was spending more time together in the off-season (going to movies and such) in an effort to improve their chemistry.

But if this is how McCarthy feels the o-lien will take a step forward, then there has to be a reason for it. I do trust McCarthy to make the right decision, I just find it odd that so much was made about chemistry being a big factor in improvement.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first reason is Spitz was hurt. He's had a calf injury and McCarthy said it was a credit to Spitz how tough he is by coming in for Clifton when he twisted an ankle.

Coston has definately had their attention all pre-season. Like any player. To be good he has to play. It's been quite awhile since we have had quality backups at many positions. Nice to see.

Members online

Latest posts