Official Seattle thread

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Seahawks have allowed a total of five (!!!) TDs to receivers during the regular season compared to 11 to TEs. Seattle is more than capable to contain a team´s top WRs but they have troubles covering tight ends. Quarless and Rodgers will have to be a huge part of the puzzle to get a win at their place.

Yeah, gonna need "all hands on deck" for sure. Gonna need Lacy out of the backfield. Gonna need Devante to win some of his match ups.

Other then a couple off sides against Cowboys I am really impressed at how much better our TE's are blocking compared to the beginning of season. If RR and Quarless are the one's that get all the catches on Sunday and we win I am fine with that.

I think with this offense Rodgers is gonna work his progressions and make the "right read". Tony Romo and maybe Alex Smith at times are the last time these Seahawks played a QB that can consistently make the "right read" for 60 minutes.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought- does anyone else think that Starks might have more success than Lacy running the ball?

Personally I do not...

Interesting analysis, but Starks only has 12 carries, that is very small sample. And he comes in as change of pace back and after Lacy has worn defenders down a bit. If you start right off with Starks, I doubt he has the success Lacy would IMO.

Rocket Hawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great thread so far. Talking about SEA defensive adjustments I think there may be some confusion about SEA adjusting to an offense. It is very rare that SEA will do something other than Cover 1 and Cover 3. Seattle is built from the back to the front, and from the outside to the inside on Defense. Look at where the money is spent and it is pretty obvious. The point being that they are built to beat QB centered offenses. They play their way, and do not try to out scheme teams on D, they try to out run and out-talent other teams. The question becomes can your best guys beat their best guys for 60 minutes?

Running up the middle against SEA is probably their "weakest" spot, but they are the #3 running defense in the league for a reason. The middle DL talent level is not that great, but the LB talent is among the leagues best.

Last year in the SB the world's best offense ever with a gimpy QB went up against this group and we all know the result. The SB MVP was a linebacker who can't even get on the field for SEA this year. Of course Deion Branch was an SB MVP one time too!

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our O will slaughter their overated Defense. Don't be fooled by their D. They played CHUMP teams that would get steamrolled by GB.

I really think GB is going to embarass Seattle AT Seattle with a huge blowout. Their D can't handle our O and our Defense rivals theirs so honestly this is a LOCK.

SUPERBOWL BOUND - GREENBAY PACKERS.

Put the crack pipe down and step away....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought- does anyone else think that Starks might have more success than Lacy running the ball? I don't have a whole lot of evidence to back up this thought, however, here is my thought process. Lacy relies on breaking tackles and running over defenders to gain much of his yardage. I don't know where I would pull up the exact numbers, but I am sure he gains a ton of yardage after contact. Starks, on the other hand, it more of a one cut runner who isn't quite as reliant on breaking tackles. Given the fact that Seattle is a great tackling team, Starks would seem to match up better in some ways.

Here are their statistics against San Francisco and Seattle since 2013(both great tackling teams). It's not enough data to gather a definitive conclusion, but it is something to think about.

Lacy
47 carries for 156 yards
3.3 average

Starks
12 carries for 66 yards
5.5 average

Obviously Lacy had the concussion earlier in the year, and our offensive line play has improved drastically so my whole thought could be completely wrong. But I'd still be interested in seeing Starks for a few carries, and seeing how he does.
I think Starks will play an important role, but overall I think he lacks the vision that Lacy has. Which sometimes hurts Lacy I think, because once he's hit a hole, he's looking for another. The way this defense attacks, I think a hit the hole and turn it on approach works best. If you're left dancing, you're done most times against Seattle.

But I think Lacy is will be our primary runner, and for good reason, he's just better in most situations. His YPC is lower mostly because he is usually doing the tough sledding early on and Starks is just coming in for relief with fresh legs after the defense has been set up for certain plays earlier in the game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Just a thought- does anyone else think that Starks might have more success than Lacy running the ball? I don't have a whole lot of evidence to back up this thought, however, here is my thought process. Lacy relies on breaking tackles and running over defenders to gain much of his yardage. I don't know where I would pull up the exact numbers, but I am sure he gains a ton of yardage after contact. Starks, on the other hand, it more of a one cut runner who isn't quite as reliant on breaking tackles. Given the fact that Seattle is a great tackling team, Starks would seem to match up better in some ways.

Here are their statistics against San Francisco and Seattle since 2013(both great tackling teams). It's not enough data to gather a definitive conclusion, but it is something to think about.

Lacy
47 carries for 156 yards
3.3 average

Starks
12 carries for 66 yards
5.5 average

Obviously Lacy had the concussion earlier in the year, and our offensive line play has improved drastically so my whole thought could be completely wrong. But I'd still be interested in seeing Starks for a few carries, and seeing how he does.

they both have different running styles but I try not to get that far into it as what running back will have more success. I am sure they will both be used and if we dominate up front they both will have success to some level. If we don't get it done up front then it won't matter which one carries the rock.

Which takes me to our offensive line which might be one of the most underrated components on this team. Our guys might not look as big and dominating in there uni's like the Cowboys offensive line. Don't be fooled. Our offensive line is flat out dominating teams up front. Lacy averaged more yards per carry then Murray on Sunday which is becoming a common theme every week.

Our guys have had the luxury of playing together almost every snap together this year and it's showing. They are a "well oiled machine."

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Great thread so far. Talking about SEA defensive adjustments I think there may be some confusion about SEA adjusting to an offense. It is very rare that SEA will do something other than Cover 1 and Cover 3. Seattle is built from the back to the front, and from the outside to the inside on Defense. Look at where the money is spent and it is pretty obvious. The point being that they are built to beat QB centered offenses. They play their way, and do not try to out scheme teams on D, they try to out run and out-talent other teams. The question becomes can your best guys beat their best guys for 60 minutes?

Running up the middle against SEA is probably their "weakest" spot, but they are the #3 running defense in the league for a reason. The middle DL talent level is not that great, but the LB talent is among the leagues best.

Last year in the SB the world's best offense ever with a gimpy QB went up against this group and we all know the result. The SB MVP was a linebacker who can't even get on the field for SEA this year. Of course Deion Branch was an SB MVP one time too!

Exactly, and I am glad you realize that hasn't gone un-noticed. Between off-season free agent loses and some injuries this year the middle of the Seahawks defensive line looks to be the weakest spot. I think you guys are even down to some converted TE/DE from San Fran in your nickle package up front.

I know the Hawks defense very well and yes it is "cover 3 base" and then work the "nickle off that" with very limited "man to man." What I have also noticed this year is while they don't blitz a lot they have had to blitz more then last year. It will be interesting to see if Hawks will be able to get pressure up front in the middle or just have to rely on edge guys. Were pretty darn good there.

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot about the part where Thursday EVERY coach finds out their wife is a cheating ****, and while the coaches are celebrating being single on Friday night they get bad sushi and have to miss Saturday's walk-through. The players are confused that the coaches miss the walk-through, go home and sleep through their 7AM wake-up call. ;)

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot about the part where Thursday EVERY coach finds out their wife is a cheating ****, and while the coaches are celebrating being single on Friday night they get bad sushi and have to miss Saturday's walk-through. The players are confused that the coaches miss the walk-through, go home and sleep through their 7AM wake-up call. ;)
As a retired classical musician as well as die hard Packers fan your post above would make for great Opera, it has cheating spouses, drunkard kings (the coaches) death or illness from poison, disloyal employees, it could end with Seattle players committing suicide after being shamed by the loss. Once I recover from surgery I will take it to pen and paper and submit it to The Metropolitan Opera. I'll invite you to opening night with all Packers players and coaches while Seattle players will serve as lowly ushers, Go Pack

Last edited:

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds like things are shaping up nicely, even for a team going to face the number one D with a one legged quarterback :)
Matthews has to be more focused, he did little last week, unless he is his usual self Wilson will eat the Packers, Clay we are counting on you, be the force you usually can be, not like last week, you are as important as Rodgers, do not give Seattle quarterbacks time to go through progressions make them throw fast against a strong pass defense, and do not be afraid to rush as much as possible

Rocket Hawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an entirely different take. This defense is schemed around Wagner and Chancellor, from the inside out.

I think I did a bad job explaining what I meant and concede the point to you. What I was trying to get out was that the DL for Seattle, even though they have Avril and Bennett have less significance to the overall defensive scheme than the guys behind and outside of them. Obviously the speed of Wagner and Thomas allow SEA to do what they do. Chancellor's versatility has really started to show up.

Seattle is a good tackling team, if a RB dances behind the line he will get got. Lacey is probably the best bet.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Anybody is beatable, that's why you guys will be tuning in to watch, but with Russell Wilson having a 25-2 home record, I would be placing my chips on Blue.

Yeah. We used to brag about Favre the same way until one playoff season the Atlanta Falcons came to town.....

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think I did a bad job explaining what I meant and concede the point to you. What I was trying to get out was that the DL for Seattle, even though they have Avril and Bennett have less significance to the overall defensive scheme than the guys behind and outside of them. Obviously the speed of Wagner and Thomas allow SEA to do what they do. Chancellor's versatility has really started to show up.

Seattle is a good tackling team, if a RB dances behind the line he will get got. Lacey is probably the best bet.

Was it a "team meeting" and Wagner coming back or was it questionable opponents? I can't wait to find out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah. We used to brag about Favre the same way until one playoff season the Atlanta Falcons came to town.....

Don't forget about the Giants in the NFC Champ game. This new breed hawk fan hasn't had there heart broken yet. Well see how they respond.

H

HardRightEdge

all the way back to Thomas. These guys are gonna try and play us "single high"
That's been their default approach. I've read (at PFF perhaps?) that Chancellor has taken 80% of his snaps this season at 7 yds. or less from the line of scrimmage.

Unfortunately, my Game Rewind subscription has expired; I wanted to see how they played the Packers in week one.

I strikes me playing single-high vs. two-or-three high safety typically works to Rodgers' advantage. He did throw a deep ball against Dallas for the first time in three games and looked none the worse for wear.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, the hurt is STILL there 12 years later... Vick killed us with his legs. Hopefully somebody will pull out that tape and show our OLB's what happens if they don't keep contain :(

H

HardRightEdge

Wow, the hurt is STILL there 12 years later... Vick killed us with his legs. Hopefully somebody will pull out that tape and show our OLB's what happens if they don't keep contain :(
Why that tape? There's nobody left who coached or played in that game. The 181 yds./179 yds.-before-contact Kaepernick tape would be the one to refresh memories.