Official Packers @ Detroit Lions

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh get a clue---- Packers are the team!

Telling me to "get a clue" is amusing to me. A lot of us predicted the Packers against the Jets as winning by more than two touchdowns and like it would be a fairly easy game. As we all know, the Packers are not consistent at all. The Lions have a good defense and explosive offense and it is a home game for them. How am I clueless thinking the Lions might have a shot?

D

Deleted member 6794

Its kind of ridiculous that they have had that as a weak point on the team for several years and never really addressed it in a serious manner.

Sounds as ridiculous as the Packers not addressing the ILB position for years as of now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds as ridiculous as the Packers not addressing the ILB position for years as of now.
Interesting ILB stats for you:

TT hasn't drafted an ILB above the 5th round since 2006, when he drafted AJ Hawk in the 1st round and Abdul Hodge in the 3rd. Thus far, 13% of TT's picks have been linebackers (both ILB and OLB) which compares to Mike Sherman using 14% of his picks on LBs and Ron Wolf 12%. The average draft position of TT's linebacker picks (Round 4.3) is also on par with Sherman (Round 4.3) and Wolf (Round 4.5). The difference is that Hawk and Hodge skew TT's statistics to be on par with Wolf and Sherman.

One could argue that there have been greater needs each season than ILB. With one solid starter in Hawk and consistent needs on both lines, safety, and running back (over the years) one could reasonably understand why TT was hoping that one of his scouts would strike gold with an ILB in the later rounds. It just hasn't materialized and is the gamble that all GMs make....which position is the priority for the offseason? One could also counter that ILB is a position worth finally plugging a hole with a FA, although he essentially did that to fix his string of misses post-CM3 at OLB.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling this will be a classic shoot out, especially cause it's in Detroit in the dome. I say 30+ points for both teams and I honestly don't know who will pull of the W here, but the defense has got to tighten up if we want any chance at winning. Either way, I'm confident in my boys. GO PACK GO!!

Reaction score
Guessing scores this early in the season is difficult. We improved our pass rush And our run D kept Jets formidable leading rushers to 43 yards single high. GB running game has been lackluster though which leaves a ? Prediction: GB makes minor rushing improvement and picks up 105 as a team, just enough to keep em honest..GB 30 Lions 21

Reaction score
It's gonna be a "tri-fecta" this week, baaaabee! To quote DUKEE V.

J-E-T-S.....JETS, JETS, JETS over the lucky Bears. Gawd, I wanted them to be 0-2. :mad:
The Saints in that Homer Dome? Fuggettabout it Queenies. :cool:

and the Pack will win, 31-23!;) I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong!:confused:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The latest consensus of three Vegas lines is Detroit wins by 1 point with an over/under of 52.5. So the score will be:
Lions 26.75, Packers 25.75. :(

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the "predict the season" thread back in early July I predicted the Packers would be 5-3 at the bye, losing to Seattle, Chicago and NO. I don't believe we'll be losing to Chicago, but the 5-3 record still sounds right, so I'll say GB loses a shoot-out in Detroit this week ~ 38-37.

The defense may be able to slow-down Calvin and the running game sufficiently, but Golden F' in Tate as well as their TE's (Fauria & Ebron) run wild for over 300 yds. combined. Green Bay takes the lead with a Crosby 50+ yarder with less than 1 minute to go but ST and the D can't keep the Lions from crossing mid-field and winning on a Freese 50 yarder... allowing Freese to stay on the team for another 3 weeks before getting cut.

M

melvin2345

The defense may be able to slow-down Calvin and the running game sufficiently, but Golden F' in Tate as well as their TE's (Fauria & Ebron) run wild for over 300 yds. combined.

This is possible, but is highly dependent upon one thing: Stafford's level of desperation. In week 1, the Lions could do whatever they wanted against the Giants. Stafford had time to settle down and stick to a game plan. Against the Panthers, he started well. Game was 0-0, and the Lions pretty much moved the ball at will. However, once he found himself in a hole he went all '2013' (heave it as hard as possible to Johnson regardless of coverage, or who else is open).

If the game is close and Stafford remains patient, he can light you up something fierce. He seems to have gained some mobility, so pressuring him doesn't seem to phase him like it used to either. Go up by 2+ scores on him though, and he fixates on CJ.

If you guys go up a score or two quickly on us, my fear is that he will again fixate on CJ. 75% of the time it works out, and we all see it on Sports Center for a week. But that 25% of the time.... INTs galore.......

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If Packers get some pressure on Stafford and the secondary holds onto the potential INT's, this will be a blow out. The Lions are still an undisciplined bunch.

Packers 34
Lions 20

Reaction score
My sentiment remains unchanged. We've got work to do in GB. Particularly on D consistency. We looked rough that 1st half and for a brief moment I had flashes of the season getting away from us defensively.
I'm much more humble after 2 games than I was after preseason. I'm seriously wondering if The Peppers experiment at OLB is underutilizing one of the best pass rushers to play the game. It's not that he's playing bad, it's more of a fish out of water thing. Changing positions isn't for everyone and we need to gain cohesiveness soon. Were putting a great deal of trust in Capers and that he gets his. $10,000,0000 worth out of Julius. I'm a loyalist, but this is a make or break season for Dom. He has all the tools now. We can't use the injury excuse anymore. It's time to bring the rooster home.
Upside is massive with this group and it's talented depth mid to long term.
We just found a starting ILB and a #3 receiver in Davante "sticky hands "--That guy is really confident and He caught everything but looks strong live. We also have a formidable Bulaga back and arguably one of our best TEs in Bostick. Detroit is playing at home and they are formidable. But this year is different than our last meeting. Were about to avenge it if we get out TEs involved again

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

this year the outcry is the ILB position, before that it was the O line, then before that it was the running game. Fans are always screaming about one position, at least in GB we address them.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same run defense that shut down the potent Jets rushing attack, sans that option to Gerley, will be back. For the first time this season we face a true pocket passer and I expect the pass rush will finally show was it's capable of, expect atleast 3 sacks from the defense and probably more. Matthews Daniels and Peppers will show what they're capable of.

The O-line stabilizes and Eddie Lacy finally manages a big game on the ground, Rodgers torches the Kitties with big days from Nelson Cobb and Jones.

Ansah is a problem but Suh and Fairley have never given us too much trouble. I expect 30-17 will be the final score.

D

Dan115

Telling me to "get a clue" is amusing to me. A lot of us predicted the Packers against the Jets as winning by more than two touchdowns and like it would be a fairly easy game. As we all know, the Packers are not consistent at all. The Lions have a good defense and explosive offense and it is a home game for them. How am I clueless thinking the Lions might have a shot?

You said you had no clue--- I told you to get one. I also think it is amusing--- so that makes 2 in my book.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested to see the difference in essentially a Jim Caldwell-run Lions team and what we knew as the Jim Schwartz-run Lions debacle. They've had so much talent for years but the inability to put it all together, especially at crucial times. I think that Detroit is going to be tougher and tougher to beat in their home. Put me in the cautiously optimistic category.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's a link to McGinn's analysis of the Lions: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...o-restore-the-roar-b99352752z1-275395161.html

If the OL gives Rodgers time, he should be able to take advantage of the Lions secondary. The most optimistic I can be about the Packers defense is 'the trend is our friend'. If the D plays like it did for most of the first 6 quarters of the season, the Lions passing game should go absolutely nuts. If they play like they did on and after the Williams INT, they should win, even though the Lions O is much better than the Jets. As always turn overs will play a big part in the outcome.

If Bulaga is healthy enough to play (not just hobble around) that'd be great news. If Bostic can add another weapon to the offense that'll help too. The Packers have been getting decent pressure - that'll have to continue to help control the Lions' WRs and TEs.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers won't have to deal with read option (or much scrambling for that matter). Tramon Williams had good games against Megatron before his shoulder nerve damage. Now, Williams is looking like he's back to near-Pro Bowl form.

The Packers steal this one.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will win this one but I don't think it will be an easy one.
I hope they prove me wrong and are back to being the awesome Packers we know and love and will pick up some mojo before, during and after this game.
I also think that Matthew Stafford is good or can be and should not be underestimated.
I believe that he has helped to revive the Lions.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Gentlemen.....lets keep it
I think the Packers will win this one but I don't think it will be an easy one.
I hope they prove me wrong and are back to being the awesome Packers we know and love and will pick up some mojo before, during and after this game.
I also think that Matthew Stafford is good or can be and should not be underestimated.
I believe that he has helped to revive the Lions.

I agree. We underestimate the Lions at our peril. They looked good against the Giants

Members online

Latest posts