Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Jets - 10/31: WIN 9 - 0

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry i have to be pessimistic as well but we get our ***** handed to us this week if our dl doesnt get healthy and al doesnt come back.. not sure if i feel too comfy with bush or shields on cotchery
They have been doing a great job, EVEN BUSH!!!!!!

But totally agree on the DL. No way we can contain the run with only 3 guys, as good as they've played against MN...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
14th in passing yards. Passing yards doesn't mean crap, not when opposing QBs can't score against you and they keep turning the ball over.

Passer rating is the most significant stat. And we're GREAT at that.

Even without considering INTs, 214 (not 236) yards and 1,14 td per game is solid pass D. Then you add 1,4 ints per game, and 58.8% completion, and it's a great pass D.

Again, we've suffered 8 passing TDs, and generated 10 INTs.

I disagree on the significance of passer rating. It is a stat invented by a QB no less. Give me cold hard yards any day over "QB rating". Usually if a team is successful in yards, they are successful in scores...usually.

I like the TD to int comparison, but how many of those ints were by our linebackers? How many ints do our secondary have? How many ints does Bush have? How many ints does Shields have? The overall pass d has benefitted from the play of our linebackers. I don't think that will help against the Jets.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree on the significance of passer rating. It is a stat invented by a QB no less. Give me cold hard yards any day over "QB rating". Usually if a team is successful in yards, they are successful in scores...usually.

I like the TD to int comparison, but how many of those ints were by our linebackers? How many ints do our secondary have? How many ints does Bush have? How many ints does Shields have? The overall pass d has benefitted from the play of our linebackers. I don't think that will help against the Jets.
2 by Hawk, 1 by Bishop, 1 by Chillar.
2 by Tramon, 1 by Martin, 1 by Burnett, 1 by Woodson, 1 by Collins.

How many TD passes were given by the LB corps?

It doesn't matter. It's a team.

And about what's important, it's points, in favor and against. Every nfl player, coach and manager will tell you that. QB ratings are the closest thing to performance there is, it takes into account passes attempted and completed (thus accounting for compl. % and yards per completion, productivity per pass), TDs and INTs (points in favor and against your QB).

Some consider it should account for negative plays in sacks, that are not accounted. But even in that light, we're #4 in sacks.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
2 by Hawk, 1 by Bishop, 1 by Chillar.
2 by Tramon, 1 by Martin, 1 by Burnett, 1 by Woodson, 1 by Collins.

How many TD passes were given by the LB corps?

It doesn't matter. It's a team.

And about what's important, it's points, in favor and against. Every nfl player, coach and manager will tell you that. QB ratings are the closest thing to performance there is, it takes into account passes attempted and completed (thus accounting for compl. % and yards per completion, productivity per pass), TDs and INTs (points in favor and against your QB).

Some consider it should account for negative plays in sacks, that are not accounted. But even in that light, we're #4 in sacks.

I hope you are right and not just seeing things through rose colored glasses.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some of us good and intelligent Jet fans....Nothing wrong with some smack talk though.....looking forward to a good game....and 3 picks by revis

Nothing wrong with a little bit of smack here and there. Ummmm.....sooooo........how many picks does Revis have this year? lol Not taking anything away from him. He is pretty damn good though. Hope you are wrong!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are right and not just seeing things through rose colored glasses.
Last year, against bad QBs, we were AMAZING.
But against veteran QBs, we were MURDERED.

Not only just by #s, but also when I see them play, I don't see it. Granted, we haven't played an elite QB (Favre and McNabb are maybe too old).

It is about the pass rush, obviously. But last year, we saw over and over again missed assignments. Specially against bunch formations. We're not seeing it. I only remember on the Moss TD, where Woodson slipped and interfered with Tramon.

(BTW, you take that play away, a play that happens once in a lifetime, and Tramon kept Moss for 2 catches and less than 30 yards. Even with that pass, 3 catches for 30 yards and 1 TD to Randy Moss are great numbers. Tramon has been shutting down receivers all year long.)

The only problem with the secondary has been Peprah giving up big plays. But all in all, contrary to last year, coverage has been tight (they tended to give cushion to receivers), our RZ D has been very good, and we've harassed the QB and caused turnovers.

The problem so far, IMHO, has been the offense, mainly the OL and QB. The OL has been extremely porous, and Rodgers has been afraid of the rush. in the last 3 games, we have only scored 1 time in the second half, including FGs.

It changed last game. Let's hope it stays.

jetstream1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think revis will hold Jennings cause Jennings will stretch revis hammy to the max. He probably be on driver or jones. I'm excited about this game. I think thisgame will tell where the pack is on the so. Aloes power rankings.

If Revis truley is 100%...he can absolutely hold any GB receiver down....he did it all of last year against EVERY teams best receiver and did it in single coverage

jetstream1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a little bit of smack here and there. Ummmm.....sooooo........how many picks does Revis have this year? lol Not taking anything away from him. He is pretty damn good though. Hope you are wrong!

trust me...nearly every Jet fan on our forum has bashed Revis for his selfish ways and then holding out only to get hurt. He has a big fat 0 in picks this year...but he only had 6 last year and that was because QB's rarely threw in his direction...but he has certainly played sub par ball this year....if he is 100 %...he is tops in the league

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trust me...nearly every Jet fan on our forum has bashed Revis for his selfish ways and then holding out only to get hurt. He has a big fat 0 in picks this year...but he only had 6 last year and that was because QB's rarely threw in his direction...but he has certainly played sub par ball this year....if he is 100 %...he is tops in the league

Well.........not sure how it is going to turn out.........but he will be tested this Sunday!

Mezzavo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Packers Fans! Jets fan here!!! Good looking posts so far....

On that note. Something tells me this is not going to be a domination but a Jets win by 10ish or so...I'm thinking a score in the vicinity of 24-14.....

Why? Let me break this down.

I do not see the Pack stopping our running or short passing game. If I'm putting together the game plan I'm slowing Matthew's rush with screens to LT and intermediate routes by Keller and Cotchery. To be quite honest if you take Matthews out of this game your defense is done. I mean out by non-factor. And you do that with the short game. Depending upon who you have starting on the line...S. Greene and LT will eat that up as well running the ball. By the way...exactly who do you put on Keller and cover Edwards and Holmes? Sanchez need only keep his ball handling to 1 pick to get the job done. 55% completion rate wins this game on O. And...this is the best way to beat the Pack...Keep A-Rod on the sideline (I HATE the Yankees and love the fact I can use the A-Rod designation and not mean that non ALCS LOSING loon)

Because....unlike what I'm reading on here by the Pack fans themselves...I feel Rodgers is a top 10 QB and is itching for a breakout game...and I think our pass rush is suspect. Rodgers is victim of some bad O-line play lately and getting hammered since the beginning of the season. Jets win time of possession and keep him on the sideline...you lose...period. He has to be in it to win it. Without that pass rush, I don't care if Revis is 100%...you can only cover so long. Oh, and contrary to belief, Cromartie has been lights out for the most part. He's been every bit an elite corner so far this year...minus a few dumb penalties early on. So priority #1...Ball Control... So as to keep my first post from becoming a book...let's break it down:

O-line Edge ---> Jets
RB's Edge -----> Jets
Receivers Edge-> Packers (Holmes just hasn't been back long enough...so Jets fans...tough! lol )
QB Edge -------> Packers
TE Edge -------> Jets
FB Edge -------> Jets (Sorry...I love the "Terminator" Connor so he gets his own spot ;) )

Soooo...in reality...that's a 3-2 edge in favor of the Jets on O

DL Edge -------> Jets (we don't know who is showing up on the Pack side but could balance out)
LB Edge -------> Jets (Sorry Pack fans...Clay Matthews does not make a whole linebacker corps)
Secondary Edge> Jets (IF Revis is 100%...if not this draws more to even...kind of cancels Revis/Woodson)

That's 3 - zip to the Jets but could be VERY even on two of those depending upon who plays for you guys...this sucks...I like teams at full strength and the Pack have had to deal with some very painful injuries this year. uggghhhh

Special Teams....ummmmm...Jets...Period....from the coach all the way down.....

Strength of schedule played so far...

GB - 4 & 3 - Philly, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Washington, Miami & Minnesota...
NYJ - 5 & 1 - Balt, Miami, NE, Buffalo, Minnesota & Denver - Edge Jets (have played 2 of the top 5 in the power rankings and arguably 3 of the top 10 depending on who you talk to about Miami with a 2-1 out of it / In my opinion, the only team the Pack has beaten outside of common opponents is Philly...and you lost to Miami...at HOME...)

I think this is going to be a good game...I pray that NO ONE gets hurt...you poor guys have had enough of your share this year...but I just think the Jets have far too many horses...especially on Offense, with your injuries, to handle. Cheers!!!

The Mezz

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, Mezz!!! (((Hugs))) You are the 2nd Jets fan I have hugged today! It's good to see fans from other teams who are decent such as you. Good luck to your Jets and I liked reading your breakdown of the game!

Mezzavo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, Mezz!!! (((Hugs))) You are the 2nd Jets fan I have hugged today! It's good to see fans from other teams who are decent such as you. Good luck to your Jets and I liked reading your breakdown of the game!

Thanks Kitten...nice to be appreciated!

Much success on the season...except for this week and/or the (possible) SB. ;)

The Mezz!

NYJET624

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all, Jets fan here.

It's a relief to see some knowledgeable/classy posts, I can't say the same about the Dolphins/Patriots boards I sometimes visit...I'll try and offer some unbiased opinions as well

I see, like every other opponen'ts fans this season, you all are vastly underrating Mark Sanchez. I'm not saying he is an elite QB by any means, but at 23 years old, he is on pace to be one. He is 12-3 in his last 15 games as a starter, (1 loss in AFCCG, other 2 by a combined 4 points) and is much improved this season. He is not going to throw a 4-5 interception game like he did a couple times last year, although your defense does have some playmakers. (Al Harris may be activated this week, right?)

Anyway, I'm a big Aaron Rodgers fan, partly because he's my fantasy QB..and I just love his game. I think he's the 3rd or 4th best Qb in the league. Don't let our Pass D numbers fool you, with Revis back to 100%, we should be the best in the league again. Against Denver we finally showed flashes in the 2nd half of returning to last year's form.

I know Greg Jennings is a great WR, but I'm sorry...if Revis is healthy then I hope you don't expect more than 3-4 catches for 30-40 yards MAX from him. Revis is that good. Cromartie should also do a solid job against Driver, but his savvy veteran moves may get him a couple flags.

Unfortunately for you guys, I think the Jets match up well, and they are coming off a bye...and have a good history against Green Bay.

When I first saw this matchup, I thought it would be a real close one..but now after all of your unfortunate injuries (especially Grant and Finley(he scares me)), I think we should handle you guys.

I'm looking forward to some good discussion here throughout this week though....and good luck the rest of the season (outside of Halloween), and beat up on our AFC East rivals for us please!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides watching the game, I look forward to seeing shots of Fireman Ed.
He's one of the most colorful and interesting football fans out there.

Plus he's an actual fireman. (Or was.)
Gotsta give props to those courageous heros even if they root for a different team.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its nice to see a Jets fan with some class for a change. And I do agree with you that Sanchez has improved ten fold since last year, but like you said, he is only 23 and is about to face probably one of the most complicated defenses in the league.

I believe our problems lie within our ability to stop your RB's. The speed and flashy running of LT, with the power of Greene, mixed with the blocking of Connor (the Terminator), will be our biggest challenge against your O. Your Oline is ridiculously good, theres no getting around that, but Capers is a defensive mastermind and im sure he has some tricks up his sleeve for the young QB as far as disguising the defenses.

As for your D, yea you have Revis and Cromartie which are two of the best DBs in the league, but how well can your LBs cover? I expect to see Rodgers picking on your LBs and your undersized safety in Jim Leonhard. Im feeling that James Jones, Donald Driver, and our TE's Lee or Quarless will see alot of action.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words and I cant wait for the matchup.

NYJET624

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its nice to see a Jets fan with some class for a change. And I do agree with you that Sanchez has improved ten fold since last year, but like you said, he is only 23 and is about to face probably one of the most complicated defenses in the league.

I agree, from my experience of watching (obviously you know better than me) the Packers are a great playmaking defense, but do allow some big plays.

The advantage Sanchez has over other quarterbacks is that he gets to face the best/most complicated defense in the NFL every day in practice

I believe our problems lie within our ability to stop your RB's. The speed and flashy running of LT, with the power of Greene, mixed with the blocking of Connor (the Terminator), will be our biggest challenge against your O. Your Oline is ridiculously good, theres no getting around that, but Capers is a defensive mastermind and im sure he has some tricks up his sleeve for the young QB as far as disguising the defenses.
I agree that that will definitley be our formula to win. I just feel that with your massive amount of injuries on defense that we can pound the rock all day. The Jets aren't afraid to run the ball with 8 in a box against a top run D, they are that confident in their ability to run.
Sometimes in the 1st half it doesn't get going, but every game this season we eventually break open later in the game with the bruiser running style of Shonn Greene or elusiveness of LT.

As for your D, yea you have Revis and Cromartie which are two of the best DBs in the league, but how well can your LBs cover? I expect to see Rodgers picking on your LBs and your undersized safety in Jim Leonhard. Im feeling that James Jones, Donald Driver, and our TE's Lee or Quarless will see alot of action.
We have an outstanding LB corps, but they are probably only average against the pass. Leonhard may be undersized, but don't underestimate his athleticism. (I'm sure many of you know due to him going to Wisconsin, but he won a couple dunk contests in college)

I don't expect Rex to put our players in a position where they can't succeed, assuming he can control the situation.

If you had Finley, this would be a much bigger issue.

No problem, you too...I can't wait either.

Bye weeks suck...I need some football, and this should be a very exciting game.

Being at home, coming off a bye, facing an injury depleted team(although you do have great depth), facing a team coming off an emotional win against a division rival, the Jets history against Green Bay, Revis returning to 100%, and our success this season has me liking our chances...but any given Sunday always applies to the NFL.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers-Jets Week 8 Dope Sheet

Two years after he co-founded the Packers with Curly Lambeau, George Calhoun began writing a piece called The Dope Sheet, which served as the official press release and game program from 192...

Source: Packers.com

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all, Jets fan here.

It's a relief to see some knowledgeable/classy posts, I can't say the same about the Dolphins/Patriots boards I sometimes visit...I'll try and offer some unbiased opinions as well

I see, like every other opponen'ts fans this season, you all are vastly underrating Mark Sanchez. I'm not saying he is an elite QB by any means, but at 23 years old, he is on pace to be one. He is 12-3 in his last 15 games as a starter, (1 loss in AFCCG, other 2 by a combined 4 points) and is much improved this season. He is not going to throw a 4-5 interception game like he did a couple times last year, although your defense does have some playmakers. (Al Harris may be activated this week, right?)

Anyway, I'm a big Aaron Rodgers fan, partly because he's my fantasy QB..and I just love his game. I think he's the 3rd or 4th best Qb in the league. Don't let our Pass D numbers fool you, with Revis back to 100%, we should be the best in the league again. Against Denver we finally showed flashes in the 2nd half of returning to last year's form.

I know Greg Jennings is a great WR, but I'm sorry...if Revis is healthy then I hope you don't expect more than 3-4 catches for 30-40 yards MAX from him. Revis is that good. Cromartie should also do a solid job against Driver, but his savvy veteran moves may get him a couple flags.

Unfortunately for you guys, I think the Jets match up well, and they are coming off a bye...and have a good history against Green Bay.

When I first saw this matchup, I thought it would be a real close one..but now after all of your unfortunate injuries (especially Grant and Finley(he scares me)), I think we should handle you guys.

I'm looking forward to some good discussion here throughout this week though....and good luck the rest of the season (outside of Halloween), and beat up on our AFC East rivals for us please!
You tried, I guess, but you failed.
There really isn't much that is unbiased that I can see in your post.

Lemee translate these NY Jets fans coming into our house:
Hey there. I'm a friendly Jets fan.
And we're gonna beat your pants off on Sunday.
Your Packers don't have a chance against us.
We are going to WIN WIN WIN!!!!

All I see are cocky fans coming in here acting all freindly and almost keeping it real but not quite.
Sure, they can come in here and post whatever they want within the rules and guidlines.
But I'm not gonna be part of the welcome wagon with they're posts.

I understand that cheering on a winning team does make one feel all confident in them.
But I wouldn't be raiding Jets boards writing "We're gonna beat you guys!"
So why come on here with that kind of stuff?
That's classless IMO.

Even though the Packers haven't played as well as the Jets, they still have a chance to beat them.

And I think Sanchez is overrated.

NYJET624

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All I see are cocky fans coming in here acting all freindly and almost keeping it real but not quite.
Sure, they can come in here and post whatever they want within the rules and guidlines.

Even though the Packers haven't played as well as the Jets, they still have a chance to beat them.

Did I ever say you didn't have a chance?

It's natural to think highly of your own team, you watch every snap of your team, you grow attached to the players, root for them through and through...so there is going to be SOME natural bias. It's normal to expect your own team to come out with a win...does this make me not allowed to say that?

All I see in this post is a whiny Packers fans expecting other teams' fans to come in here and say their team doesn't have a chance.

Sanchez gets a lot of media hype because of him being in New York, so I can understand you disliking him.

I'm not saying he's a top 5 QB, but he has been pretty good this year for his 2nd NFL season after 1 year of college.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Revis truley is 100%...he can absolutely hold any GB receiver down....he did it all of last year against EVERY teams best receiver and did it in single coverage

after watching Jennings game against the VIKINGS, even though he wasn't thrown too much, he flashed some insane route running, It's a matchup that no one has seen yet, so it's foolish to say Jennings can get over Revis & saying Revis can completely blanket Jennings...can go either way in my opinion...I don't care if REVIS announced he's a 100%...actions talk louder then words...I KNOW Jennings is a 100%

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This IS the
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
....you know the National Fake you-out League....You want to predict anything you want, you're more then entitled too...trust me JET fans, as Packer fans, We are more then aware of your potent team & all the weapons you have on offense, the play-makers on your defense, & an aggressive Head Coach...we all know this

I'm a local...I live in NJ...I watch the JETS every week too...Your JETS are a great team...an easy top 3 team in the NFL...you're on a crazy WINNING streak right now, including a game you "deserved" to lose against Denver (an unimpressive team) that just got obliterated @ Mile HIGH by the RAIDERS...

How many people you know in a survivor pool took the SAINTS to beat the BROWNS...that's a team that shouldn't have won that game...Saints got WAY more weapons, BETTER Head Coach, BETTER QB, I mean seriously Colt McCoy vs Drew Brees???...the point is that nothing will ALWAYS make sense in this league

We know what you're made of (The JETS) as football fans, Packers Coaching Staff knows even better...We got some confidence against our hated VIQUEEN Rivals & our "INEXPERIENCED" players will benefit an itty bit from it...We are getting some reinforcements for our secondary...I still think we haven't played our BEST on offense yet either, Rodgers is 75% of what he was last season...I believe if Rodgers can play to 100% of his ability we will beat YOUR JETS...that's MY OPINION!

VS

it will come down to better QB play...the better QB wins

jetsknicks1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That would be zero picks :). He's starting to play better though and I expect him to hold his own.

jetstream1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score

David Harris does a nice job in coverage and is always around the ball....Jim Leonard is a big man in a small body....the height diff. might be a problem...but his athleticism makes up for it

jetstream1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand that cheering on a winning team does make one feel all confident in them.
But I wouldn't be raiding Jets boards writing "We're gonna beat you guys!"
So why come on here with that kind of stuff?
That's classless IMO.

Yep...you nailed it...we are a classless bunch.....gee...you would think that we came here and insulted you by callng you classless

jetstream1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after watching Jennings game against the VIKINGS, even though he wasn't thrown too much, he flashed some insane route running, It's a matchup that no one has seen yet, so it's foolish to say Jennings can get over Revis & saying Revis can completely blanket Jennings...can go either way in my opinion...I don't care if REVIS announced he's a 100%...actions talk louder then words...I KNOW Jennings is a 100%

No doubt Revis can be beat.....but just look at last season (yes I know it was last season)...but every team said week after week that Revis was good but he didnt cover our guy.....only to have their guy shut down. Jennings is an excellent receiver possibly being covered by an excellent CB

Members online

Latest posts