OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can have truly strong opinions on the draft right now (like the one's I'm seeing in this thread). We're not experts, and even the experts are wrong much of the time.

I like what Gutekunst did, but perhaps Alexander ends up being a bust. Perhaps Derwin James becomes a hall of famer. Perhaps he's a bust. We don't know for certain--so people should probably stop acting they do know for certain how this ends up.

You are 100% correct, dead on, hit the mark, no room for debate, I guarantee you. :whistling:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on. So people who aren't happy with passing on James for Alexander should sit back and give him a chance first because nobody knows for sure how good either will be but the other side just gets to say $#!@ like this? Wtf?

In all likelihood it would be a feat for him to supplant King on the outside much less Tramon this season. Expecting him to he more then the nickel back isnt a realistic expectation

I think both Alexander and James are good! I think Alexander plays the more important position plus we got a 1st rounder. Good deal imo.

In regards to King, he's very raw, hardly played, and quite frankly, wasn't very good last year. Alexander is already better, but King has a year in the BFL. That matters.

You don't have to believe me, but I hope you remember this when I'm right. Because I will be right.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So never discuss whether an addition to the team was a good idea?

Not a great idea

Fyi this same logic could be used for FA acquisitions too. I mean at least half of all big FA signings generally end up backfiring on their new teams and handicapping the team that signs them with their new contracts because it can be tough to tell how a guy will perform in a new scheme in a new location.

So since that's about the same rate that 1st round picks generally bust we shouldn't talk about FA either I guess. Pretty much nothing but raw stats are allowed to be discussed as nobody here breaks down game film either so I guess talking about how a player performed on Sunday isnt on the table either.

We're all giving our opinions and projections based on limited intell. Same as we do for literally every other topic on this board

I didn't say don't discuss. There are people basically screaming in this thread that James is a stud and Alexander will bust and Gutekunst is an idiot. That's just stupid.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can have truly strong opinions on the draft right now (like the one's I'm seeing in this thread). We're not experts, and even the experts are wrong much of the time.

I like what Gutekunst did, but perhaps Alexander ends up being a bust. Perhaps Derwin James becomes a hall of famer. Perhaps he's a bust. We don't know for certain--so people should probably stop acting they do know for certain how this ends up.

Its a message board. Without strong opinions about everything and anything this place sucks. ;)

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say don't discuss. There are people basically screaming in this thread that James is a stud and Alexander will bust and Gutekunst is an idiot. That's just stupid.

And there are others proclaiming Alexander will be a stud and that Gute is a genius.

You don't get to proclaim one side and shut down the other

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there are others proclaiming Alexander will be a stud and that Gute is a genius.

You don't get to proclaim one side and shut down the other

I don't think that group has been near as vocal. I think you can say his trades were a net win in terms of value. A lot is left to be seen. James was a guy a ton of people loved predraft so I expect there to be disappointment by some. It is just so over the top at times.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that group has been near as vocal. I think you can say his trades were a net win in terms of value. A lot is left to be seen. James was a guy a ton of people loved predraft so I expect there to be disappointment by some. It is just so over the top at times.

It's the internet. The unhappy side will ALWAYS be more vocal

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Somebody grab a mop. This wet blanket is dripping all over our fun. :D:D:D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So never discuss whether an addition to the team was a good idea?

Not a great idea

Fyi this same logic could be used for FA acquisitions too. I mean at least half of all big FA signings generally end up backfiring on their new teams and handicapping the team that signs them with their new contracts because it can be tough to tell how a guy will perform in a new scheme in a new location.

So since that's about the same rate that 1st round picks generally bust we shouldn't talk about FA either I guess. Pretty much nothing but raw stats are allowed to be discussed as nobody here breaks down game film either so I guess talking about how a player performed on Sunday isnt on the table either.

We're all giving our opinions and projections based on limited intell. Same as we do for literally every other topic on this board

A lot of what we have here might not qualify as discussion.

Reaction score
All I know is that Courtland Sutton would look good in Green & Gold. Make it happen Guttenburg.
I really like that move right now. I think it would not only fill a huge void but it would be an exciting Offensive pick for once. Let's face it we haven't done much for this offense recently. Let's give them a spark and pop some fireworks day 2.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This issue I see with Alexander is he reminds me of all the other corners we have drafted. Small, Raw, didn't play a lot in college, wasn't even recruited to play CB. Sound familiar? He is a quicker and more versatile Quinton Rollins.

When's the last time we drafted a guy who was a versatile, big, hard hitting safety? His attributes and size are right up there with Kam Chancellor, Harrison Smith, Keanu Neil.

James honestly reminds me of a Leroy Butler.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's the internet. The unhappy side will ALWAYS be more vocal
and YELL!

The only part of last night's move I wonder about, is how far ahead of Hughes and Oliver did the Packers have Jaire Alexander graded? It's hindsite, but had the second trade not been make, they could have drafted either of them by sitting pat at #27. I have to assume they really liked JA by the fact that they quickly moved back down to get him. I said it earlier, but I think both of those moves were probably pre-scripted to some extent with both New Orleans and Seattle, before the draft.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and YELL!

The only part of last night's move I wonder about, is how far ahead of Hughes and Oliver did the Packers have Jaire Alexander graded? It's hindsite, but had the second trade not been make, they could have drafted either of them by sitting pat at #27. I have to assume they really liked JA by the fact that they quickly moved back down to get him. I said it earlier, but I think both of those moves were probably pre-scripted to some extent with both New Orleans and Seattle, before the draft.
I still think Josh Jackson could be the steal defensive player of this draft. I would have loved for the packers to stay put at 27 and draft him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think Josh Jackson could be the steal defensive player of this draft. I would have loved for the packers to stay put at 27 and draft him.

He might be, but so far he has been passed on 32 times. See what happens tonight, I'm guessing he goes in one of the first 5 picks, not belonging to Cleveland.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This issue I see with Alexander is he reminds me of all the other corners we have drafted. Small, Raw, didn't play a lot in college, wasn't even recruited to play CB. Sound familiar? He is a quicker and more versatile Quinton Rollins.

When's the last time we drafted a guy who was a versatile, big, hard hitting safety? His attributes and size are right up there with Kam Chancellor, Harrison Smith, Keanu Neil.

James honestly reminds me of a Leroy Butler.

Uhhh...we did that a year ago. You just described Josh Jones.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm finding it hard to get too excited over the draft this year, because as has been said, it's impossible to predict if these guys are going to be successful or not.
But I will say this:

1) It's very hard for a rookie corner to come in and make a big impact.
2) This seems like the third time we've tried to replace our cornerbacks in the last several years, it's getting a little old.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are following Mayock and trust him, the Packers pick (if they stand pat), may be in this group then.

39. Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
40. Connor Williams, OL, Texas
41. Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
42. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
43. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State
44. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
45. Billy Price, C, Ohio State
46. Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
47. Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State
48. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
49. James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
50. Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis