OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't say don't discuss. There are people basically screaming in this thread that James is a stud and Alexander will bust and Gutekunst is an idiot. That's just stupid.
You should have seen the shoutbox right after trading down to pick 27. Total mental and emotional meltdown. I love a good trainwreck. They did not disappoint.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited about both cornerback picks. It seems like they are looking to pic. And the speed on Jaire is awesome.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So never discuss whether an addition to the team was a good idea?

Not a great idea

Fyi this same logic could be used for FA acquisitions too. I mean at least half of all big FA signings generally end up backfiring on their new teams and handicapping the team that signs them with their new contracts because it can be tough to tell how a guy will perform in a new scheme in a new location.

So since that's about the same rate that 1st round picks generally bust we shouldn't talk about FA either I guess. Pretty much nothing but raw stats are allowed to be discussed as nobody here breaks down game film either so I guess talking about how a player performed on Sunday isnt on the table either.

We're all giving our opinions and projections based on limited intell. Same as we do for literally every other topic on this board

Actually, watching so many threads; I think a lot of you just like to argue. Just sayin'....

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What I find really interesting is that the Packers never talked to Jaire Alexander prior to drafting him and one of the few teams not too. After seeing some of his interviews he has a cocky attitude. Do not know if it confidence or cockiness just yet, but hopefully we don’t have another Demarious Randall on our hands.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find really interesting is that the Packers never talked to Jaire Alexander prior to drafting him and one of the few teams not too. After seeing some of his interviews he has a cocky attitude. Do not know if it confidence or cockiness just yet, but hopefully we don’t have another Demarious Randall on our hands.
That seems really peculiar for a GM making his very first pick...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not going to pretend to know what Alexander is like personally. He does seem to chirp a lot and play with a lot of bravado. That's clear on tape. One thing that is clear is that he's beloved of his teammates and was the leader of his unit... that is not "Randall type" stuff. He also doesn't seem deranged or out of touch in interviews, which is also not very Randall like.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many good CB's in the league aren't cocky?

Alexander's teammates love him, which is a quality Randall did not have.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many good CB's in the league aren't cocky?

Alexander's teammates love him, which is a quality Randall did not have.
I have to admit, when I first ready it too, the first thing that crossed my mind was Randall. But then after I looked around it seems different. Some guys are a bit cocky and have fun, work hard and are pretty cool. Some guys are just cocky ******** and no fun to be around no matter how good they are. Variations in between of course.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Kentucky, and have been following this kid for awhile. Here's part of a post I made a couple of days ago, regarding his attitude...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is his attitude - which is a little surprising, since he certainly has one. He's a very cocky kid, but in a good way, a matter-of-fact way. He's extremely confident in his abilities. He's said many times here in the local media that he's the best DB in the draft, and openly boasts of being the best shutdown corner in college football. And the tape bears that out - he basically took away his entire half of the field from every quarterback they faced this season. Opposing QBs had a passer rating of just 17.7 when throwing at him. Part of that is probably the way he has of getting inside the receivers' and the quarterbacks' heads - he's a pure, loudmouthed trashtalker, and drives receivers and quarterbacks straight-up nuts.

The whole post is here...

https://www.packerforum.com/posts/774585/

He is very well-liked by his teammates and coaches, as well as the fans and media, and is considered a locker room leader. He's no showboat or prima dona, that's for sure.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I live in Kentucky, and have been following this kid for awhile. Here's part of a post I made a couple of days ago, regarding his attitude...

The whole post is here...

https://www.packerforum.com/posts/774585/

He is very well-liked by his teammates and coaches, as well as the fans and media, and is considered a locker room leader. He's no showboat or prima dona, that's for sure.
That is great to know. I posted earlier about a concern of his attitude... It seemed like the Packers were one of the only teams he did not meet with. Knowing that, then watching him on camera, made me a little hesitant as to what kind of a person he was. I stated that I am unsure if its confidence or cockiness. Thank you for clearing that up early, because I was starting to get concerned we had another Demarious Randall in the locker room.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a little of his press conference. In Green Bay? He got up and did a little TD dance. The deadbeat reporters didn't clap or anything. I liked his personality. But I think I will like his speed just as much.

Reaction score
Now that we have two 1st round picks in 2019. I'm wondering if we wouldn't consider using a 2019 first or second round pick as leverage to trade for a substantial veteran Edge rusher?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now that we have two 1st round picks in 2019. I'm wondering if we wouldn't consider using a 2019 first or second round pick as leverage to trade for a substantial veteran Edge rusher?

Depends on how you define "substantial". I am guessing there are teams, like the Broncos who drafted Chubb, have Von Miller and 3 pretty decent young OLB's (Ray, Barrett, Walker) who would be willing to trade. But I wouldn't part with a 1st for any of the 3, maybe a second for one of them.

Reaction score
Depends on how you define "substantial". I am guessing there are teams, like the Broncos who drafted Chubb, have Von Miller and 3 pretty decent young OLB's (Ray, Barrett, Walker) who would be willing to trade. But I wouldn't part with a 1st for any of the 3, maybe a second for one of them.
I like that. We definitely should keep our options open, it's plausible that we could get a quality player in trade for a future 2nd rounder in the right circumstances and still hold both 1st round picks (maybe even get a mid round pick back) The idea would be to move forward in an attempt to keep our foot on the gas, it's not so much the exact round that matters as this is just an example of an option when you have the luxury of starting with 2 first rounders.
I'm just imaging getting 1 more proven, disruptive OLB with pass rushing skills into the "now" mix before the trade cutoff deadline. I don't think it was intentional, but I think we kinda missed there.
This could also allow us to lean to the offensive side of the ball more next year.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like that. We definitely should keep our options open, it's plausible that we could get a quality player in trade for a future 2nd rounder in the right circumstances and still hold both 1st round picks (maybe even get a mid round pick back) The idea would be to move forward in an attempt to keep our foot on the gas, it's not so much the exact round that matters as this is just an example of an option when you have the luxury of starting with 2 first rounders.
I'm just imaging getting 1 more proven, disruptive OLB with pass rushing skills into the "now" mix before the trade cutoff deadline. I don't think it was intentional, but I think we kinda missed there.
This could also allow us to lean to the offensive side of the ball more next year.

This was really a bad year to have a need at OLB, since both the FA market and the draft were pretty thin in the way of elite ones. As long as Perry and Clay stay healthy and our young backups improve, we could be fine for 2018, but it would be nice to sign one more quality veteran backup at the position for sure. Maybe next year, both markets will be better to improve the position:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/outside-linebacker/

Here's a Mock 2019, notice where this guy has the Packers picking in Round 1 :tup: ...I assume the first pick is the one we obtained from the Saints.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019charlie_1.php

Reaction score
I'd be very happy picking last next year ;)
Seriously though, if we have one pick inside the top 20 (Saints miss the playoffs) I'm elated beyond measure

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be very happy picking last next year ;)
Seriously though, if we have one pick inside the top 20 (Saints miss the playoffs) I'm elated beyond measure

I never like to lose games, but last season was pretty much gone with Hundley behind center, had we lost the OT games against the Bucs and the Browns, this draft might have looked a bit different. Depending on the tiebreaker, we would have been somewhere in that 5th to 9th pick range.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was really a bad year to have a need at OLB, since both the FA market and the draft were pretty thin in the way of elite ones. As long as Perry and Clay stay healthy and our young backups improve, we could be fine for 2018, but it would be nice to sign one more quality veteran backup at the position for sure. Maybe next year, both markets will be better to improve the position:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/outside-linebacker/

Here's a Mock 2019, notice where this guy has the Packers picking in Round 1 :tup: ...I assume the first pick is the one we obtained from the Saints.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019charlie_1.php
I wanted a pass rusher as much as anyone. Who doesn't want a great one? but the pickings were slim to say the least. This team is improved today, as opposed to last Wednesday. I think we got more than 2-3 guys that are going to be players in this league. So we pass on one of them to add some guy who wasn't really a great prospect at edge, just the best of a mediocre class, does it really help? I was hoping we'd get more pass rush from our interior line last year and it turns out either our ILB's were so bad behind them that Capers couldn't ever let the Dline be distruptive, or his scheme didn't allow it. I happen to think it would have been the strength of our defense and I believe Pettine is going to actually use those guys to their strengths. Daniels can penetrate, Clark and be disruptive, Mo, well he can be a beast. Young guys will be in steady rotation to keep fresh legs motoring all game long at one OLB spot and Clay will be moved around a lot. Our pass rush is going to improve like it should have improved last year, it just won't be from one star edge rusher. and now we actually have a stable of young guys that have all the tools to be pretty good cover guys. Mistakes are going to happen, but they're also going to make plays.

we're going to be in a better position next year to get a bonafide edge rusher than we were this year.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted a pass rusher as much as anyone. Who doesn't want a great one? but the pickings were slim to say the least. This team is improved today, as opposed to last Wednesday. I think we got more than 2-3 guys that are going to be players in this league. So we pass on one of them to add some guy who wasn't really a great prospect at edge, just the best of a mediocre class, does it really help? I was hoping we'd get more pass rush from our interior line last year and it turns out either our ILB's were so bad behind them that Capers couldn't ever let the Dline be distruptive, or his scheme didn't allow it. I happen to think it would have been the strength of our defense and I believe Pettine is going to actually use those guys to their strengths. Daniels can penetrate, Clark and be disruptive, Mo, well he can be a beast. Young guys will be in steady rotation to keep fresh legs motoring all game long at one OLB spot and Clay will be moved around a lot. Our pass rush is going to improve like it should have improved last year, it just won't be from one star edge rusher. and now we actually have a stable of young guys that have all the tools to be pretty good cover guys. Mistakes are going to happen, but they're also going to make plays.

we're going to be in a better position next year to get a bonafide edge rusher than we were this year.

I too believe this was the best approach. Evidently the Packers were okay with seeing who of Landry and Jackson would drop to their second pick. This draft would have been perfect in my eyes if the trade up in the third to get Burks wouldn't have happened (as I believe he would have still been there with our first day 3 pick) and they would have used that capital to go up 6 spots ahead of the Titans and grabbed Harold Landry. I am really happy that they didnt went with Davenport, especially considering the price the Saints paid for him.

The Packers addressed WR and CB, and at CB especially we have our entire core under contract for 2-3 years. The only big name FA that could walk away from our DB within that time span is HHCD. I can see them take a similar approach to the EDGE position next year. Double dip with a first and third rounder. While our EDGE will probably be mediocre at best this year, in the slim chance that both Matthews and Perry stay healthy it wouldn't necessary be a glaring weakness. Big IF though.

About Jaire Alexander, after watching him he looks like a 2.0 Chris Harris Jr. to me. Can't wait to see him and Jackson play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of the 38 trades made during the draft, CBS Sports (for what it's worth) ranked what the Packers did in Round 1 as the #2 best trade in the draft. They also ranked what the Saints did during that as the #38 (worst) trade during the draft.

Call me a Homer, but I would rank the Packers trade with the Saints as the #1 best move, especially when you factor in how Gute maneuvered back down and the possible future value of that first round pick from the Saints.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...made-including-the-packers-first-round-heist/

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 38 trades made during the draft, CBS Sports (for what it's worth) ranked what the Packers did in Round 1 as the #2 best trade in the draft. They also ranked what the Saints did during that as the #38 (worst) trade during the draft.

Call me a Homer, but I would rank the Packers trade with the Saints as the #1 best move, especially when you factor in how Gute maneuvered back down and the possible future value of that first round pick from the Saints.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...made-including-the-packers-first-round-heist/

Interesting read. The conventional wisdom thus far seems to be that Green Bay's rookie GM fleeced the New Orleans Saints.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting read. The conventional wisdom thus far seems to be that Green Bay's rookie GM fleeced the New Orleans Saints.
Yup and that fleecing could grow bigger as the Saints first round pick improves from the #32 pick people seem to want to say it's worth. Obviously, if Davenport turns out to be a Pro Bowl stud and players that the Packers selected as a result of the trade are crap, some might view the whole thing differently in a few years.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and that fleecing could grow bigger as the Saints first round pick improves from the #32 pick people seem to want to say it's worth. Obviously, if Davenport turns out to be a Pro Bowl stud and players that the Packers selected as a result of the trade are crap, some might view the whole thing differently in a few years.

Yes, it all depends on how those prospects turn out.

Still, giving up a third rounder and ending up with an extra first......Not a bad start for the new GM. Let's hope he can make more deals like these.......

Members online

Latest posts