OFFICIAL 2018 1ST ROUND PICK Jaire Alexander

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And before that what won the Super Bowl for the Patriots? A pass rusher or a DB making a pick in the endzone?
DBs need short memories but fans should think before they type a bit more or risk looking silly. Trust me, I know this.
I’m silly? Wtf ever! Silly is the packers front office constantly drafting CBs high and wasting Aaron Rodgers prime years! Silly is keeping Dom Capers for years, when he should’ve been fired after 2011! Silly is scoring 45 pts on the road on the playoffs & losing! Silly is playing OT games on the playoffs 2014 & 2015 and not letting #12 touch the bell in either! I’m silly? BS I am!

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m silly? Wtf ever! Silly is the packers front office constantly drafting CBs high and wasting Aaron Rodgers prime years! Silly is keeping Dom Capers for years, when he should’ve been fired after 2011! Silly is scoring 45 pts on the road on the playoffs & losing! Silly is playing OT games on the playoffs 2014 & 2015 and not letting #12 touch the bell in either! I’m silly? BS I am!

I think you need to calm down and go take your blood pressure man. You seem stressed out and that's not good for your heart.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silly is having a young athletic freak at ILB that can go hunt QBs, cover RBs & TEs w/ease, fall to you at 14 & passing on him because a PLAYOFF team offers a possible 90% low end of the 1st rd pick in 2019? Why is my plan of building a strong front 7 who can put consistent pressure on the QB make sense you guys? You know what helps any secondary? PRESSURING the QB!

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injury Prone??????

Alexander is "injury prone" and a huge injury risk after missing 5 games despite the fact he came back to play the final three regular season games and blew up the combine and his pro day. Derwin James who missed almost the entire 2016 season after surgery for a lateral meniscus tear is not? Give me a break.

Let the professionals run the draft, and some of you Nay-Sayers stick to your internet mock draft guides.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derwin James would've been a good pick.

Jaire Alexander was also a good pick.

We got Alexander + 2019 1st round pick. That is very good.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I reckon Jaire is best slot option available. And good fit in special teams to replace you know who!

We will end up with #1 pick and Gute will Trade down and get #1 plus other picks in #2020. Rinse and repeat. I don't see us making the #1 pick ever! :cry:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I liked Derwin James, but the FO met with him twice and decided to pass on him. I don't think he blew them away with his talent.

Alexander has great physical stats besides being a little short, and his injury probably really hurt his ability to get a lot of attention this year. His injury could make him a steal, if he didn't get injured maybe he would have had a great year and been drafted in Wards place. It is easy to be down on someone who didn't have as much hype. We also have a tall CB with King and hopefully they will be able to complement each other.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Silly is having a young athletic freak at ILB that can go hunt QBs, cover RBs & TEs w/ease, fall to you at 14 & passing on him because a PLAYOFF team offers a possible 90% low end of the 1st rd pick in 2019? Why is my plan of building a strong front 7 who can put consistent pressure on the QB make sense you guys? You know what helps any secondary? PRESSURING the QB!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ho -hum, you've been basically restating this the entire night and day. And your "proof" that James is a can't miss prospect ala Tony Mandarich is what, a mock draft guide?

Last edited:

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty upset by this and I will list my points below. I think what most people are missing is the fact of Value Based Drafting. How much better is player A than the next available player at his position?

IMO Green Bay should have drafted James at #14 and then traded a pick and J Jones to go up and get Josh Jackson in round 2. IF a trade couldnt be done then Mike Hughes (6ft, 190) or Holton Hill (6'3 200) will likely fall to you anyways.

I would rather have JAMES/EDMUNDS + JACKSON/HUGHES/HILL over Alexander + 1st round pick.

IT IS VERY RARE TO DRAFT A GUY WHO IS THE CORNERSTONE OF A DEFENSE. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE LACKING.
Regardless of the 1st round pick, you almost never see guys like James/Edmunds drop past the top 10-12. With the way the saints are built, odds tell you they will be picking in the 20's next year. So Green Bay will likely have 23 & 28-32. That isn't enough to move up to the top 10 to draft another James/Edmunds. End of story.

Value Based Drafting

1) Derwin James was unanimously ranked (ESPN,CBS, FOX) in the top 10 of best players in the draft and top 2 at his position although most had him #1.

2) All reports said Packers had James extremely highly ranked and said they were even willing to move up to get him. He ended up falling into our lap because of QB's and Ward going early.

3) James/Fitz vs remaining game changing safeties is HUGE.

4) Alexander is regarded as a top 3 CB. CB is very deep in this draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
5) Packers have three safeties capable of starting, at a position that normally starts 2.

6) Packers have one cornerback that could start on many teams in the league at a position that needs three.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
2) All reports said Packers had James extremely highly ranked and said they were even willing to move up to get him.

Since most of your post is hunches and guesses, I will just touch on this key one.

Obviously, those reports weren't right, since the Packers not only didn't trade up to draft James, they passed on him. So do you still keep basing your opinion on old reports or facts?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5) Packers have three safeties capable of starting, at a position that normally starts 2.

6) Packers have one cornerback that could start on many teams in the league at a position that needs three.

King and Williams makes 2.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all circles back to letting Casey Hayward go (never even offered him a deal) and wiffing on Randall (who has similar combine #'s to Alexander) /Rollins (TBD)

Since 2014 we have drafted 6 DB's (2 S ; 4 CB). Imagine if we wouldn't have wiffed on 75% of those and we could have drafted a Calvin Ridley, Sony Michel, or Darreus Guice. IF you dont do anything in Free Agency then you better nail your draft picks and the packers have been horrid.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since most of your post is hunches and guesses, I will just touch on this key one.

Obviously, those reports weren't right, since the Packers not only didn't trade up to draft James, they passed on him. So do you still keep basing your opinion on old reports or facts?
They passed on him to play for the FUTURE INSTEAD OF THE NOW. No doubt in my mind if the packers had stayed put they would have drafted James over Alexander. That's all that needs to be said.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They passed on him to play for the FUTURE INSTEAD OF THE NOW. No doubt in my mind if the packers had stayed put they would have drafted James over Alexander. That's all that needs to be said.
Can you say that any louder, I didn't hear you.

And you know this as a fact because.....???

"That's all that needs to be said"???

So your word is final?

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would you rather have JAMES/EDMUNDS + JACKSON/HUGHES/HILL or Alexander + 1st round pick?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This all circles back to letting Casey Hayward go (never even offered him a deal) and wiffing on Randall (who has similar combine #'s to Alexander) /Rollins (TBD)

Since 2014 we have drafted 6 DB's (2 S ; 4 CB). Imagine if we wouldn't have wiffed on 75% of those and we could have drafted a Calvin Ridley, Sony Michel, or Darreus Guice. IF you dont do anything in Free Agency then you better nail your draft picks and the packers have been horrid.

LOL...dude can you turn of the brights, you are driving too loud!

So not drafting Ridley, Michel and Guice, who by the way is still available....doomed this franchise?