Official '06 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
cmon now, Barnett was the leading tackler in the NFC(or close ..something), he cant make every tackle now. It would be great if he could, but even the urlachers and ray lewises miss some from time to time.

From NFL.com
1 Jonathan Vilma NYJ 169
2 Zach Thomas MIA 158
3 London Fletcher BUF 157
4 Donnie Edwards SD 152
5 Andra Davis CLE 149
6 Keith Bulluck TEN 138
7 Nick Barnett GB 138

From ESPN.com
1 J. Vilma LB, NYJ 173
2 Zach Thomas LB, MIA 162
3 L. Fletcher LB, BUF 158
4 D. Edwards LB, SDG 154
5 Andra Davis LB, CLE 149
6 Nick Barnett LB, GNB 139

From CNNSI.com
1 Jonathan Vilma NYJ 128
2 Donnie Edwards SD 114
3 Zach Thomas MIA 107 55
4 London Fletcher BUF 104
5 Shelton Quarles TB 103
6 Keith Bulluck TEN 102
7 Jeremiah Trotter PHI 102
8 Brian Urlacher CHI 98
9 Demorrio Williams ATL 97
10 Mike Peterson JAC 95
11 Derrick Brooks TB 93
12 Nick Barnett GB 92

From FoxSports.com
1 Jonathan Vilma, NYJ 173
2 Zach Thomas, Mia 162
3 London Fletcher, Buf 158
4 Donnie Edwards, SD 154
5 Andra Davis, Cle 149
6 Nick Barnett, GB 139

Not bad at all for a guy who shouldn't be a MLB.

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay I never said he shouldnt be on the Inside, just that im sick of watchin our amazing corners wiff tackles.... Id feel much better with Barnett screaming in on someone running along the outside than lenon or heaven forbid harris...

Edit-

Notice how those teams with 1 player making all those tackles are really good...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I have yet to hear is how those first five picks in the draft will play out. All I hear about is the top three: Bush, Young, and Leinart. It does seem likely that they will be picked first. So the big question for us Packer Fans is who is going to be taken fourth? It's the Jets' pick, isn't it? Will they go for that good offensive tackle--that D'Brickashaw guy? I hope so, because the Packers have no need for an OT anyway.

I don't watch as much college football as some, but occasionally a player jumps out at me as a future NFL star, from seeing him play occasionally or even just seeing highlights. Examples were Peyton Manning, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Dat Nguyen (okay, I missed a little on that one--he was a good NFL player, but not a dominant one, probably because he was undersized), and now Reggie Bush. And I could add A.J. Hawk to that list, from what I've seen of him. I would love to see him in a Packer uniform. If he's not available, one of those defensive linemen would be nice. I'll take everyone's word for it that they are worthy of that high a pick. I don't want a running back. After Bush, there is a big dropoff in talent at that position.

As for the tackling discussion, I guess I disagree with BOTH sides.

Point #1: Number of tackles is an almost meaningless statistic. Your middle linebacker is usually going to lead the team in tackles. Even Hardy Nickerson did when he was on the Packers, and he was no good. Take a look at those top seven tacklers on Zero's list. What do they have in common? I'll tell you what: None of them are on playoff teams. And most of them are on teams that were downright lousy. That's because bad teams have their defense on the field a lot, so they are racking up high numbers of team tackles, many of which are made by the middle linebacker. Teams that get a lot of three-and-outs and whose offenses can control the ball are generally not going to have anyone among the league leaders in tackles.

Point #2: Everybody misses tackles. Barnett could improve in this area, but he's not that bad. Missed tackles usually result from not being able to get a good shot at the runner. Fast players often miss tackles because they are trying to make plays that slower players would never even have a chance at. Barnett often misses tackles on the perimeter, where a Bernardo Harris or a Hardy Nickerson would not have even been in the picture. It's like shortstops in baseball. The ones with more range often have more errors because they are fielding balls that slower players would not even get to. So the shortstops with the best fielding percentages are not necessarily the best fielders.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank you greg these dumb sh*ts on here dont realize that alot of his missed tackles were when he was diving at the player to tackle them by the feet, and of cource your going to miss some of those. when did you often see him miss a tackle after he got a good hit on the guy?

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weissman1989 said:
JeezusJuice said:
Darren Sharper > your life, btw

Not sure what you mean by this. I assume you mean he's greater than my life? That may be true, but he still tackles like absolute sh*t.

Yea agreed.... Im not sure if you remember and i am turly sorry i have to bring this up again, but sharper delivered the late hit on TO coupled of years ago in the playoffs agaisnt the 49ers and we lost, and he also played 35 yards deep on a 4th and 26 and allowed fred-ex to crush a championship season....

My point being SHARPER SUCKS.... and Barrnett is too small for the middle, plus he has good outside speed. I just felt like backing up walker on this
So you are just going to ignore the fact that Sharper:

-Is tied for first in career defensive TDs in GB
-Is tied for first in single game def. TDs in GB
-Holds the record for most INTs since 2000
etc.

Who's side are you on anyway? You certainly aren't a Packer fan. This guy had a great career in GB, and you are just singling out a couple of mistakes.

I bet you're the same guy who said we should get rid of KGB, I'm too lazy to look.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Who's side are you on anyway? You certainly aren't a Packer fan. This guy had a great career in GB, and you are just singling out a couple of mistakes.

I bet you're the same guy who said we should get rid of KGB, I'm too lazy to look.

no, that would be me

KGB--8 sacks this season, three of which came in the chicago/seattle games LONG after we clinched a top ten pick. He is paid top-dollar to be a premium pass rusher, and he really didn't perform well. If we draft someone like Matt Kiwanuka or Mario Williams, 6'7 guys, with long enough arms (and aren't soft), to get after running backs, yes I'd rather see Kampman at the opposite end than this guy

Sharper is about as popular on this board as the team he plays for. About, lets say ALL of this board will now take Nick Collins over Sharper. He's soft vs. the run--If you paid attention this season, Collins was more of a hitting force than Sharper ever was--to top it all off he went to Minnesota and trashed the Packer organization...it doesnt matter how great of a career he had

KGB and Sharper are your appearent heroes of this defense, probably because they're rated higher on Madden

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
JeezusJuice said:

no, that would be me

KGB--8 sacks this season, three of which came in the chicago/seattle games LONG after we clinched a top ten pick. He is paid top-dollar to be a premium pass rusher, and he really didn't perform well.
Maybe that's because of the rest of the D-line--he can't do it all by himself. But, there is one thing he does BY HIMSELF...say, how many those D-linemen have made the Pro Bowl?
JavonWalker084 said:
Sharper is about as popular on this board as the team he plays for. About, lets say ALL of this board will now take Nick Collins over Sharper. He's soft vs. the run--If you paid attention this season, Collins was more of a hitting force than Sharper ever was--to top it all off he went to Minnesota and trashed the Packer organization...it doesnt matter how great of a career he had
I admit Collins had a great year, and I like him, but surely you aren't looking at this one year and calling him a HOFer lock. Lots of players have a good season here or there but overall aren't impact players year in and year out. Plus I know you aren't saying he is already a better player than Sharper, who has never been to a Pro Bowl...especially not this year...the year GB let him go....

How would you feel if the your team let you go after spending your entire career there, letting your conference rivals pick you up while YOUR team just sits around watching? It wouldn't make me happy.
JavonWalker084 said:
KGB and Sharper are your appearent heroes of this defense, probably because they're rated higher on Madden
That is the most moronic thing I have ever heard.

KGB is tied for most seasons with ten or more sacks. Tied with that one guy, I can't remember his name for the life of me...what was his name...it's on the tip of my tongue...I don't know. I guess he wasn't that good of a Packer.... :roll:

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are just going to ignore the fact that Sharper:

-Is tied for first in career defensive TDs in GB
-Is tied for first in single game def. TDs in GB
-Holds the record for most INTs since 2000
etc.

No, He WAS a good player... hes been soft for a while now... and our defense has been full of soft players.

Of course Im a packerfan, just cuz i talked about the past of a player which i belive has been the most overrated of all our past defensive players doesnt mean im not a packerfan

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
How would you feel if the your team let you go after spending your entire career there, letting your conference rivals pick you up while YOUR team just sits around watching? It wouldn't make me happy.

If they let me go because I refused to negotiate my contract to my talent level, there is no way I could hold any bitterness to them especially if I signed with the rival within a week of being released.

Don't feel sorry for people who demand more money then they are worth. Sharper had a good year this year and got himself in the pro bowl. Did you see the INT he got? I seen three of them that were thrown directly into his hands!! He's happy where he is and Packer fans for the most part are happy hes not a Packer.

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
If they let me go because I refused to negotiate my contract to my talent level, there is no way I could hold any bitterness to them especially if I signed with the rival within a week of being released.
It's not Darren's fault the people in GB have no idea how to manage a salary cap. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=2197950

Zero2Cool said:
Did you see the INT he got? I seen three of them that were thrown directly into his hands!!
I am stumpt. Where do you suppose everyone else gets INTs?

So all of his lead-leading number of picks in the last seven years comes from each QB getting confused and throwing balls directly to him? It has nothing to do with his abilities as a player or his pass coverage?

I am still stumpt. Please, explain yourself, boy.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a lot of his INTS were freebies. A couple he had to actually jump...ill give him credit, he can jump. Id hope an NFL player could do that.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Maybe that's because of the rest of the D-line--he can't do it all by himself. But, there is one thing he does BY HIMSELF...say, how many those D-linemen have made the Pro Bowl?

I admit Collins had a great year, and I like him, but surely you aren't looking at this one year and calling him a HOFer lock. Lots of players have a good season here or there but overall aren't impact players year in and year out. Plus I know you aren't saying he is already a better player than Sharper, who has never been to a Pro Bowl...especially not this year...the year GB let him go....

How would you feel if the your team let you go after spending your entire career there, letting your conference rivals pick you up while YOUR team just sits around watching? It wouldn't make me happy

KGB is tied for most seasons with ten or more sacks. Tied with that one guy, I can't remember his name for the life of me...what was his name...it's on the tip of my tongue...I don't know. I guess he wasn't that good of a Packer.... :roll:

Alright i just did a search thru my post and nowhere did "Nick Collins" and "Hall of Famer" appear in the same sentence. You know what I see from Collins, effort, he's up near the line of scrimmage getting involved, he chases down recievers that aren't his responsibility and tackles them...If we keep Sharper we have a lot less cap room to go get the free agents we need this offseason...and if we should've spent more money after last season, I would've given it to Wahle or Rivera before considering Sharper...I mean, he did have a nice seat for Freddie Mitchell's 28 yard reception in 2004, aka the worst day of my life--I'll let that one fly as I continue to sort through the wreckage suddenly strewn about this thread

I'm gonna say back down on the "pro bowl" arguement, I dont think anything that goes on two weeks after the season out on some island matters--Al Harris should be going to the pro bowl, didn't get picked, does that make him better or worse...no...KGB went to a pro bowl a few years ago and I still want to be rid of him

As for Sharper...this is the age of free agency...teams let players go...

The rest of the d-line isn't trying? Honestly, that is what I thought last year--but this year, solid play from Grady Jackson when healthy, Colin Cole, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins played decent in their roles...and on the other end Aaron Kampman made plays, was involved in every play it seemed--and the amazing thing is how well Mike Montgomery played the run in KGB's spot,

KGB and Sharper are in the 90's on madden, Collins is only a 72, of course you see things the way you see them, I don't back down from my previous remark

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
JeezusJuice said:

How would you feel if the your team let you go after spending your entire career there, letting your conference rivals pick you up while YOUR team just sits around watching? It wouldn't make me happy

Alright i just did a search thru my post and nowhere did "Nick Collins" and "Hall of Famer" appear in the same sentence. You know what I see from Collins, effort, he's up near the line of scrimmage getting involved, he chases down recievers that aren't his responsibility and tackles them...If we keep Sharper we have a lot less cap room to go get the free agents we need this offseason...and if we should've spent more money after last season, I would've given it to Wahle or Rivera before considering Sharper...I mean, he did have a nice seat for Freddie Mitchell's 28 yard reception in 2004, aka the worst day of my life--I'll let that one fly as I continue to sort through the wreckage suddenly strewn about this thread

I'm gonna say back down on the "pro bowl" arguement, I dont think anything that goes on two weeks after the season out on some island matters--Al Harris should be going to the pro bowl, didn't get picked, does that make him better or worse...no...KGB went to a pro bowl a few years ago and I still want to be rid of him

As for Sharper...this is the age of free agency...teams let players go...

The rest of the d-line isn't trying? Honestly, that is what I thought last year--but this year, solid play from Grady Jackson when healthy, Colin Cole, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins played decent in their roles...and on the other end Aaron Kampman made plays, was involved in every play it seemed--and the amazing thing is how well Mike Montgomery played the run in KGB's spot,

KGB and Sharper are in the 90's on madden, Collins is only a 72, of course you see things the way you see them, I don't back down from my previous remark
I don't either. You are a moron.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:

You didn't get hugged enough during your younger years.

from that link you posted
Darren Sharper wasn't going to get a $2.6 million roster bonus and had no intentions of taking a pay cut to help Green Bay's salary cap woes <-- sounds like a real team player, boy do i feel sorry for him!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah Darren "Almost" Sharper blew bigtime during slowiks stay. Slowik made the mistake of centering the defense around Sharper. If I am slowik, I am(besides killing myself) hunting down sharper and giving him some nancy kerrigan treatment.

OP
OP
J

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
JeezusJuice said:

Darren Sharper wasn't going to get a $2.6 million roster bonus and had no intentions of taking a pay cut to help Green Bay's salary cap woes <-- sounds like a real team player, boy do i feel sorry for him!
Do you know how big Favre's contract is? He said he loves football so much that he would play for free, so don't talk to me about contract disputes until you get your boy Brett Favre to take a pay-cut.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Zero2Cool said:
JeezusJuice said:

Do you know how big Favre's contract is? He said he loves football so much that he would play for free, so don't talk to me about contract disputes until you get your boy Brett Favre to take a pay-cut.

lol this is funny
A for effort, F for research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts