Offensive Line Shuffling

H

HardRightEdge

I think McGinn has it right.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rom-practice-squad-b99386472z1-282004261.html

In case you can't access this link, here's his take in a nutshell:

If neither Lang nor Sitton can play, it would be Tretter at LG and Taylor at RG. Walker would be promoted from the PS as the 7th. OL for insurance against two more injuries. If either tackle went down, Tretter would move to tackle and Gerhart would come in at OG. If either backup guard or Linsley went down, Gerhart comes in.

I think if there is any one or two injuries among any of the starters including Lang and Sitton, they'll plug and play rather than shuffle...Tretter first in a C or either OT; Taylor first in at OG. Tretter might get the call over Taylor at LG if only Sitton sits; I maintain that's a risky proposition given Tretter has never taken a snap at OG in his life. He might be better at one-on-one pass pro than Taylor, but it's hard to see how it would not be disruptive to the run game or in making adjustments in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Did you happen to see Newhouse's performance last night as an injury replacement at RT for the Bengals? It was scary bad.

From the time I tuned in during the second quarter, he gave up a holding call, a serious hit, a false start that was not called, and a sack. After the sack, with the game pretty much out of reach, the Bengals gave him double team help with a guard, leaving the center to handle a jet rush one-on-one by the same guy resulting in back-to-back sacks.

It got so bad Esiason was calling a watch-out-for-Newhouse on every other obvious passing situation.

While Dalton evidently got off to a rocky start and may have been bothered by the strong winds, Newhouse was certainly a contributing factor in Dalton never finding any rhythm...he looked jittery and hurried the whole game. Newhouse can add Dalton's 10 for 33 as at least a footnote to his resume.

Long story short...the Packers situation could be worse.
At first I was reading all Newhouses' mishaps, then that turned into a chuckle about halfway down the list and eventually that chuckle erupted into deep guttural outburst of laughter... Everyone at work is looking at me... Nah. They wouldn't understand if I shared.
Thank You for that!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just read that Evan Dietrich-Smith and other Packers lineman conspired to untie Ndamukongs shoelaces repeatedly during the game that lead to the infamous "stomp". Hilarious. That sounds like a total high school move.
This year might be a great time to pull out some of the 'Ol tricks' out of the Halloween bag. I suppose wedgies are out of the question seeing as the instant replay could crack down on the perpetrator. The key is to always look the other way while perpetrating the crime.. :whistling:

Last edited: