Offensive Line Shuffling

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With Tretter in and Sherrod waived, what happens if one of our tackles get hurt? Slide Lang out to RT and Bulaga over to left tackle with Taylor taking RG until Tretter is ready to play a guard spot?
Edit: Not having a healthy Barclay makes me nervous. I hope his rehab goes well and the Packers can re-sign him. My guess is he would be a likely candidate for the PUP list next Labor Day.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Tretter in and Sherrod waived, what happens if one of our tackles get hurt? Slide Lang out to RT and Bulaga over to left tackle with Taylor taking RG until Tretter is ready to play a guard spot?

As I posted in another thread I would expect Bulaga to move to LT if Bakhtiari gets injured. Lang or Tretter would be the primary backup at RT with the other playing RG. I think Tretter would be ahead of Taylor on the depth chart to fill in at guard.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter is now listed as the backup at L tackle, the position he played in college. He is also the backup at center, so it doesn't appear they're planning on using him at guard. I wonder what he weighs today--if he's up to 320 or so he might turn out to be a very good tackle, which we desperately need against the good pass rushers. Linsley appears to be the real deal at center.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tretter is now listed as the backup at L tackle, the position he played in college. He is also the backup at center, so it doesn't appear they're planning on using him at guard. I wonder what he weighs today--if he's up to 320 or so he might turn out to be a very good tackle, which we desperately need against the good pass rushers. Linsley appears to be the real deal at center.

The official depth chart by the team doesn´t mean a whole lot. If both Lang and Sitton won´t be able to play on Sunday I expect Tretter to line up at one of the two guard spots.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much out of necessity. Gerhardt, a pure center, would be the only other OL available.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can anyone give me their thoughts about our 3 practice squad players? (McCray, Walker and Vujnovich) Can they come in and do a job today or are they prospects for the future?

D

Deleted member 6794

can anyone give me their thoughts about our 3 practice squad players? (McCray, Walker and Vujnovich) Can they come in and do a job today or are they prospects for the future?

There´s no reason to believe any of these guys would be able to step in right now and perform.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys are practice squad players, like another person posted "jar on the shelf",plain and simple if Sitton and Lang can't go it will be Taylor and Tretter,which may make this a tougher game for the Defense if the Offense has a lot of three and outs.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the oft injured Bulaga were to go down against the Bears, do you think one of these guys would have to step in and play or are there other options?

If Lang and Sitton can´t play vs. the Bears I would expect Thompson to make a move prior to the Bears game because there´s no way we should enter the game with only six healthy offensive lineman with Garth Gerhart (who´s only capable of playing center) being the only backup. In this case I would prefer him to sign a street free agent over promoting one of the PS guys though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect sitton to play. There is no fixing his injury right now. I think they just have to wait until gameday and shoot it up. I get the vibe that the medical staff doesn't like to do that normally but in this case its about the only way to get him on the field.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect sitton to play. There is no fixing his injury right now. I think they just have to wait until gameday and shoot it up. I get the vibe that the medical staff doesn't like to do that normally but in this case its about the only way to get him on the field.
I also expect Sitton to play but the OL is getting mighty thin regardless.
It's pretty sad when you might have to sign a street free agent just prior to a big game just to be able to field an OL.
That speaks to the poor quality of players we have in the pipeline.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also expect Sitton to play but the OL is getting mighty thin regardless.
It's pretty sad when you might have to sign a street free agent just prior to a big game just to be able to field an OL.
That speaks to the poor quality of players we have in the pipeline.

The injury to Barclay was devastating for the depth on the OL.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just heard on 105.7 that Dorsey has "developed" a foot injury that could land him on IR. There is your roster spot and probably fabricated or exagerated injury.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all that being said and Sitton and Lang injured last week why wouldn't they have just kept Sherrod and IR'd Dorsey then. Sherrod can't be worse than PS guys who have never played in a game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Internet conspiracies pop up like dandelions.

Dorsey injured his foot in practice on Thursday. They couldn't have known that before releasing Sherrod. Either way, they seem to have made a decision about his ability. It's not like this guy is a borderline practice squad player that gets signed, waived, signed, and waived. He's a former 1st round bust. He will not all of a sudden return to the Packers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory or not....the first thing I thought of when it was proposed that one of these PS guys gets called up is that either Goodson, Dorsey, Janis or Bradford needs to go on IR with something.

Reaction score
This bye came at a good time. Then again I guess that's rhetorical.
We should have guys from both O and D back so we should net out on injuries. JC has experience at multiple positions and not just a fill in role either. The impact of his return is crucial in timing. Even though he hadn't played a regular season game, the fact he was here for OTAs, camp and preseason and has now had a couple of weeks of practice is a huge positive. He also received a lot of verbal commendations for his athleticism from the coaching staff that I recall from last Spring.
I remember Newhouse coming in to play tackle because of a starters injury a few years ago. He was so bad he made Sherrod look like a Probowl alternate. Jared had like 5 sacks on him. Don't quote me but Im not confused remembering his inadequacies. sometimes wish "Suh" wouldve stepped on him instead of Deitrich-Smith. J/K.:eek:
Anyways, as long as we get through this game without another OL injury. We'll be fine

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason(s), depth on the O line is for all intents and purposes non existent.
Let's hope that doesn't end up haunting us.

H

HardRightEdge

I remember Newhouse coming in to play tackle because of a starters injury a few years ago. He was so bad he made Sherrod look like a Probowl alternate.
Did you happen to see Newhouse's performance last night as an injury replacement at RT for the Bengals? It was scary bad.

From the time I tuned in during the second quarter, he gave up a holding call, a serious hit, a false start that was not called, and a sack. After the sack, with the game pretty much out of reach, the Bengals gave him double team help with a guard, leaving the center to handle a jet rush one-on-one by the same guy resulting in back-to-back sacks.

It got so bad Esiason was calling a watch-out-for-Newhouse on every other obvious passing situation.

While Dalton evidently got off to a rocky start and may have been bothered by the strong winds, Newhouse was certainly a contributing factor in Dalton never finding any rhythm...he looked jittery and hurried the whole game. Newhouse can add Dalton's 10 for 33 as at least a footnote to his resume.

Long story short...the Packers situation could be worse.

H

HardRightEdge

IF..IF...IF...IF..IF!!!!!!!!!

SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Enjoy the game. What will be, will be.
By that logic, why post at all?

By conjecturing, posing a hypothesis as it were, you test your thinking about the game. You measure what you think will happen against what actually does, and learn from the result.

Members online

Latest posts