Offensive Line is not offensive

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
0 sacks so far, right?

Can't do much better than that. Call me really pleasantly surprised at the moment. If this keeps up, defenses should shudder at the thought of what Rodgers could do with lots of time. It's truly downright scary.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers is letting the ball go wayyyyy quicker.. Finley is a big part of that. The pressure is getting close to him, but his release is just so damn quick.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
0 sacks so far, right?

Can't do much better than that. Call me really pleasantly surprised at the moment. If this keeps up, defenses should shudder at the thought of what Rodgers could do with lots of time. It's truly downright scary.

The regular season will show our hand. I think with the veterans in the line up we are better than last year.

I dont think we had any sacks last year in the pre-seaons either, and then came baby swiss!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Do NOT judge the amount of sacks Rodgers is getting now to regular season, I remember doing that last year and we all know how that went. Now there maybe some to a lot of improvement now, but try not to forget last year.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think they aren't a good run blocking unit. They just aren't very physical. They don't have any roadgraders on this line. They even had Sitton get his weight down to 312lbs. to become a little quicker. I'm not a big fan of zone blocking offensive lineman. They don't have one lineman that they can run behind to pick up a first down on 3rd and 1 or 2 when the defense is playing run. There's a reason they use so many quarterback sneaks on short yardage situations.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have liked to see Bulaga on the field with the first teamers, but Im glad they didnt just throw him out there because of where he was picked.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREAT analysis, aaronqb. I can't talk about every topic, because I really didn't pay attention to the backups (except for Bulaga), but that's in-depth analysis right there. Kudos man!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The regular season will show our hand. I think with the veterans in the line up we are better than last year.

I dont think we had any sacks last year in the pre-seaons either, and then came baby swiss!

Exactly. Let's see how we do against Philly before deciding if we have a dominant o-line. I have no confidence in the o-line coaching, but maybe they've finally hit on a good lineup.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, good analysis, but lets see how we do against Philly. D-coordinators are going to dial up the pressure a lot in the regular season.

However, I do agree the line is significantly improved with Tuascher in there and Bulaga will be a big improvement when he gets involved.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My honest assessment of the Packers OL Good pass blockers. Horsesh*t run blockers. Might be the least physical OL in the league.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My honest assessment of the Packers OL Good pass blockers. Horsesh*t run blockers. Might be the least physical OL in the league.
Least physical is a big stretch, but I agree with this.

There's only one really, REALLY good run blocker, and that is Sitton. (Bulaga is better than the others, but he's a rookie). Take a look at the film. He manhandles his man every time. Even against Kevin Williams and such last year, he was great.

Colledge is on and off, and Wells isn't very strong. He's money on pass pro, even against the better NT, but against the run, specially on the though yardages... not so much.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year O-line problems where really A-rod's and Barbre's problem. Once that was identified and addressed in the come to jesus meeting the O-line settled down and did a good job.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the oline and run blocking is the scheme. We're not a power running football team, we use zone blocking so the back can make that one cut and run downhill. Granted I think we could be more physical and block better on running plays.

I think though that when the regular season comes, and defenses have to deal with Driver/Finley/Jennings downthe field all the time, their run defense will soften up a bit because they drop more guys into coverage. This is where the zone blocking scheme really shines. A lot of our lineman are atheletic enough to get to that second level and make blocks whereas the bigger hogs can't. I think we'll see some big runs breaking off later in games this year.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are a few things to be optimistic about...
First, Colledge... despite his reputation for inconsistency, you got to hand it to the guy...hes always healthy. We need that consistency on our line. I think that the competition between him and Bulaga lit a fire under his @$$ this preseason; hopefully it lasts.

Secondly, we have some quality depth this year (Spitz, Bulaga, Lang, Newhouse, Dietrich-Smith (we'll see who makes the cut- I still like Spitz)).

Third, Sitton is a young guy with a lot of potential. He is coming off his first year as a starter where he proved to be (IMO) the best run blocker in the entire group.

And last, there seems to be a progression being planted here...an eventual exit plan for Clifton and Tauscher.

(a bit off topic)
Has anyone noticed?... Tauscher has only looked mediocre thus far.

Regarding Giacomini: He has been taking up roster space for the last two years. I know he appeared to have a lot of potential, but he hasn't yet contributed. Is it time to pull the plug? Practice squad?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are a few things to be optimistic about...
First, Colledge... despite his reputation for inconsistency, you got to hand it to the guy...hes always healthy. We need that consistency on our line. I think that the competition between him and Bulaga lit a fire under his @$$ this preseason; hopefully it lasts.

Secondly, we have some quality depth this year (Spitz, Bulaga, Lang, Newhouse, Dietrich-Smith (we'll see who makes the cut- I still like Spitz)).

Third, Sitton is a young guy with a lot of potential. He is coming off his first year as a starter where he proved to be (IMO) the best run blocker in the entire group.

And last, there seems to be a progression being planted here...an eventual exit plan for Clifton and Tauscher.

(a bit off topic)
Has anyone noticed?... Tauscher has only looked mediocre thus far.

Regarding Giacomini: He has been taking up roster space for the last two years. I know he appeared to have a lot of potential, but he hasn't yet contributed. Is it time to pull the plug? Practice squad?
Tauscher just manhandled Robert Mathis, one of the best pass rushers in the league. He's fine.

Giacomini, don't know if he can go to the PS, I think not, but he's terrible anyway...

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't put Giacomini on the practice squad either. I think there are a lot of other guys who are playing well enough to get a spot there if they can't make the actual roster.

I think the offensive line was the best and most fully addressed of the Packers issues coming into this season. It is one that I have no worries about whatsoever.

Members online

Latest posts