Now Grady hired Rosenhaus and plans on holding out

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sooooooooo pi$$ed.

:puke: on these guys.

Packers need to make a stand, and I guess, bite the bullet.

Oh the damage Mike McKenzie has caused.

We're the team to steal on now...

:evil:

At least I believe I can count on TT to hold the line and send a new message:

"NOT IN GREEN BAY!"

Pull this garbage...and we will do whatever we can to make sure that you pay the largest possible price on the field, and in your wallet! :-?

I don't care about holding out for big bucks...Just do it when your contract expires!!!

I can't believe the mess we made for ourselves!!! :roll:

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson hires agent of change
Packers' nose tackle signs with Rosenhaus, wants a new deal
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: July 5, 2005
Green Bay nose tackle Grady Jackson has become the latest member of the Packers to join the roster of agent Drew Rosenhaus, and his first order of business Tuesday was to have Rosenhaus call the team seeking a new contract.

According to Rosenhaus, Jackson is "very dissatisfied" with his current deal and probably won't report to training camp if the Packers don't rework it. Jackson, 32, has one year left on a two-year, $2.31 million extension he signed at the end of the 2003 season.

The deal was restructured before the end of last season so Jackson could more easily earn money tied to a weight clause, and he was advanced $65,000 of his $665,000 base salary on May 2. If Jackson earns a good portion of the $250,000 in performance incentives he has, he will make around $1 million this season.

On Tuesday, Jackson joined wide receiver Javon Walker and running back Najeh Davenport as the most recent Packers to join forces with Rosenhaus, who is well known in these parts for directing Walker to skip all off-season activities. Rosenhaus gave no indication that Walker would be present when veterans report for training camp if his contract isn't reworked and Jackson might very well stay away, too.

"That's a consideration, definitely," Rosenhaus said of a Jackson holdout. "Obviously, he wouldn't have changed agents if things had been going well. It seems he hasn't made the progress he wants to and that's why he hired me. He reached out to me."

It's unlikely the Packers will change their opinion about extending Jackson's deal since they have refused for months to do it with his previous agent. Jackson has had arthroscopic knee surgery each of the past two off-seasons and the combination of his age and injury history won't put them in a giving mood.

Their biggest concern, should he hold out, would be the inability to monitor his conditioning and weight. The plan was to limit his practice time during camp and the regular season to help keep his legs fresh, but he would be supervised daily by the team's weight and conditioning staff if in attendance.

Rosenhaus spoke with Packers vice president of finance Andrew Brandt on Tuesday to gauge the team's interest in extending Jackson's deal, but was met with resistance and came away with no indication the issue would be addressed before training camp starts for veterans July 29.

General manager Ted Thompson did not return a phone message.

Though Davenport doesn't appear to be a holdout candidate, Rosenhaus said both Walker and Jackson weren't likely to report without new deals. They probably will be joined by tight end Bubba Franks, who has yet to sign the automatic one-year, $2.095 million offer he received as a result of being named a transition player.

He is holding out hope for a long-term deal. Jackson also would like that security given he is nearing the latter part of his career.

"We're not on the same page on this," Rosenhaus said. "Right now, definitely we have some problems. We'll be considering our options whether that's not coming to training camp or a potential trade. But Grady's definitely dissatisfied. The current deal won't work for us."

Jackson was previously represented by James "Bus" Cook, who negotiated the contract Jackson is currently under and who is also the agent for quarterback Brett Favre. According to a spokesman at the NFL Players Association, Jackson terminated his business relationship with Cook on June 23 and officially became Rosenhaus' client on Tuesday.

Jackson played only 38.5% of the Packers' defensive snaps last season, in part because of a dislocated kneecap he suffered in the season opener, which forced him to miss five games. He also sat out the season finale against Chicago to rest for the playoffs.

When he has been healthy, the 350-pound Jackson has been a vital cog in the Packers' defense, serving both as a run-stuffer and third-down pass-rusher. Last year, Jackson had 36 tackles and a sack in 10 regular-season games.

But statistics haven't always measured his value to the team. Since signing with the Packers as a free agent on Nov. 4, 2003, the Packers are 15-6, including playoff games. They are 2-4 in games in which he did not play.

The Packers have several young, promising tackle prospects in James Lee, Donnell Washington and Corey Williams, but they would love to have Jackson anchoring the middle again in new defensive coordinator Jim Bates' system. If they continue to have problems with veteran Cletidus Hunt, Jackson's absence would be a blow.

"He will be a key, key contributor," Rosenhaus said. "I've followed Jim Bates' defense (in Miami) and I know it's important to him to be strong up the middle at defensive tackle. Grady is that guy. He's one of the most important guys on their defense."

Two other tackles have signed multi-year contracts like the one Jackson seeks. Pat Williams, 32, was a free agent who signed a three-year, $13 million deal with Minnesota that includes $6 million in bonuses. Ted Washington, 37, was a free agent last year when he signed a four-year deal with Oakland for $14 million, including $4 million in bonuses.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Jackson played only 38.5% of the Packers' defensive snaps last season, in part because of a dislocated kneecap he suffered in the season opener, which forced him to miss five games. He also sat out the season finale against Chicago to rest for the playoffs."

Hell yes, pay him more so he can sit the season on his broken body.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, this is really getting out of hand. This is pure greed. Next thing you know Aaron Rodgers will sign Rosenhaus looking for a new deal after he completes his first NFL pass.

These people clearly don't care about winning an NFL championship - they just want to get paid.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with MajicMan on this one, bite the bullet.. hard, even if it costs us a title. I dont know much about this Rosenhaus, but I hope TT will send a clear messege to the players that if you work with Rosenhaus, you will end up on the bench or in front of your tv for the season.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"NFL contract." Boy, that's gettin to be an oxymoron.

And what's with Grady? One year into a two-year deal and now he's "very dissatisfied." That's just nonsense.

I hope the owners are of one mind on this holdout stuff.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey if Grady doesnt get what he wants and he gets released we should go for signing Gilbert Brown. Cause you would never hear about Brown hiring Rosenhaus as his agent and holding out. Sign someone who wants to retire as a Packer, sign someone who just wants to play, and that someone being big ol Gilbert Brown.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having said that, I say let him sit if he holds out. At this point he has done nothing but hire an agent to work on a long term deal. I hate Rosenhog as much as any one, but it is premature to start burying Grady.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice how the Vikes had something to do with this (indirectly) by the signing of Pat Williams.

I hope this isn't a sign of the times.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Bruce - Besides, how many other NOSE TACKLES are there out there...?
I just wish that Sherman had shown more sense with Gilbert Brown...
Gilbert was trying to make himself available this year to get back into Football, remember?
If I was TT, and I'm not... then I would seriously be looking at a comeback for Gravedigger - from what I hear, he's in shape and ready to play... He hasn't given up and the Packers need to make amends with the ol' boy.

I was there last year for the Home Opener (last year) and guess what - only Gravedigger was missing from the Half time Lineup... Even Frankie (gimmeanotherdonut) Winters was there along with Lynn ****ey and Majik Man - yet NO GraveDigger. Pretty sad when ya think about it.. to know that an 11 year Veteran was so disrespected by the HC.... or.... if that's not it,... then you tell me why he wasn't there...!

For a guy to play almost all year with a torn bicep and still "hold the line" like that speaks volumes - and then MS pulls him into the Office for a broadside sneak attack and told him he was thru... cheap trick!

I think TT oughta take a long hard look at his options - without a "good" NOSE TACKLE in the middle - we're through for the Season and Brett oughta just retire right now... I don't care what type of shape he's in - he can't carry the Team like that - and he shouldn't have to, either!

Somebody list "available" Nose Tackle personnel to match my opinion and deflate it...

ANYONE ?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB,

IMO, Gravedigger is, unfortunately, done. If he had anything left, someone would have signed him by now. Guys that big who can still play do not stay on the street for very long.

Grady will be back in the fold, and if not, James Lee, Donnell Washington or Kenny Peterson will step up and play.

Keep the faith. All is not lost if Grady sits out (though that stat about our winning percentage with him in there is kind of troubling).

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pat Kirwan at NFL.com has these DTs listed as available as of June 8th. They are ranked from best to worst available according to him.

1. John Parrella
2. Ellis Johnson
3. Eric Downing
4. Norman Hand

Not a dominanting bunch.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TPF,

Unforunately it seems like there have been too many statements posted this off season stating that just because so and so player may be out or because we have not signed any decent free agents, all is not lost.

I have basically heard that about:

Walker
Hunt
The absence of Sharper
Not Franks (I think most of us are in agreement that there are not many other TE options)
Jackson

It is tough to possibly lose (or come into camp/regular season out of playing shape because they missed camp) this many players and say all will be well. I like the Rah Rah stuff, but clouds are looming.

Bruce needs to post some pictures to make us all return to that warm fuzzy place we call our past.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rosenthug seems to have targeted the Packers. I know he's just in it for the buck too, but McKenzie, Walker, Davenport, and now Jackson? This is getting ridiculous.

If I was Rosenslug I would never travel in the state of Wisconsin alone EVER! :D

(He should avoid North Dakota too!) :twisted:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but the ramifications of Hunt kill us both ways. We DO need big bodies in the middle, so barring some sort of major meltdown, he will probably be on the roster...which creates animosity amongst the guys who show up and put in the work. If, for whatever reason we cut his fat, lazy ***, he eats up cap space that could/would be used on other players.

Shows us all what one bad contract will do to a team. My guess is that we will not see this type of reach on big contracts under TT.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Pat Kirwan at NFL.com has these DTs listed as available as of June 8th. They are ranked from best to worst available according to him.

1. John Parrella
2. Ellis Johnson
3. Eric Downing
4. Norman Hand

Not a dominanting bunch.
I used to really like No.99 - Norman Hand - but I figure he's getting over the hill, too. He's a big wide body that went from NO to the Rams... Now, Ellis Johnson (?) I wonder what his injury record is? The name John Parella is unfamiliar to me - but that's not to mean anything....

Opinions? I'm sure TT is already aware of names listed and probably more..

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he sits. Isn't that what he did for 63% of the plays last season anyway. Let's see Rosenpig.....have an obviously undisciplined overweight football player hold out for a year and see what you get for him next season. Visions of Fat Bastard.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs..

"Shows what one bad contract will do to a team"

What good does having good contracts do?...a la Walker, Jackson, Davenport

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin,

The only two guys I'm worried about on that list are Walker, and to a lesser extent, Jackson. We seem to win when Jackson is in, but remember that was under Slowit and his merry band of idiots. With Bates at the helm, I expect some of the other names I listed above to show more than potential and actually contribute this season. I may be optimistic, but you have to like Bates' track record with getting the most out of guys.

I still think that when push comes to shove, Walker and Grady will be in camp, if not from day one, from day 5 or 6.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TPK,

I agree about Bates, but look at the rosters he was dealing with. Even if all of our D players report and stay healthy it doesn't match what he had to work with in Miami.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I probably should have footnoted you.

Robin,

Maybe those guys were great because of Bates. Let's see how those guys do without him. Remember the effort he got out of his guys in the New England game last year and how he managed to propel them to a 4-4 finish even though they were long out of it.

Members online

Latest posts