Noah Spence

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Still think Spence would be a luxury pick, depending on Peppers and any FA signings of our own or other teams. No doubt we need someone to take over for Peppers eventually, but we also need help at ILB and TE potentially sooner.
It looks like Dougherty was answering this post yesterday when he wrote:
But drafting an outside rusher of note would not be a luxury. Even assuming Matthews moves back outside, his complement, Julius Peppers, is 36. Last season he played 700 snaps (66.6 percent of the Packers’ defensive totals), and this year the Packers probably will want to cut that back even further so that he’s fresher at the end of games and the end of the season. With Peppers, less is more.
;) http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ckers-should-pick-pass-rusher-early/80300928/

He has a pretty good discussion of Spence.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Peppers is a 50% of the D snaps player why are the Packers keeping his $10.5Mil cap hit? Got to imagine that money ($8Mil cap savings) can be better spent on Mike Neal AND draft a couple of OLB's (#1 or #2 and then a low rounder) to man that position.

Calhoun, Dodd or Spence should be available at #27 and Floyd, Fackrell, or Nassib should be around in round 2.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had a nice rookie season but Gregory did nothing special at all. Collins was a huge steal in undrafted free agency but that was a truly unique situation and because he was able to choose his team there wasn´t anything Thompson could have done about it. He struggled as a rookie though as well.

Gregory did have a down rookie season, but a lot of rookie DL have unremarkable first seasons. I know a lot of ours have. He was also battling an ankle injury most of the season. That being said, there's no denying that the Cowboys saw past his off field issues and pounced on what could be a steal. They got a potential top 10 pick in the second.

As far a Collins, he went undrafted and was able to basically choose his team, but let's not say there's nothing TT could have done. He could have used a late round flier on him. I mean who would you rather have La'el Collins or Kennard Backman right now?

I get character issues, but we have a strong locker room and with a draft and develop team, you have to take some character risks to get the most talent possible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like Dougherty was answering this post yesterday when he wrote:
;) http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ckers-should-pick-pass-rusher-early/80300928/

He has a pretty good discussion of Spence.
I don't have much of an opinion on the draft choices yet, most of them i've only seen highlights of, but there is no question in my mind, that if a premier pass rusher is there at 27 or whatever our pick is, we take him, even over a guy they think might be a pretty good ILB too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't have much of an opinion on the draft choices yet, most of them i've only seen highlights of, but there is no question in my mind, that if a premier pass rusher is there at 27 or whatever our pick is, we take him, even over a guy they think might be a pretty good ILB too.
Agreed. As I - and I'm sure others - have posted I think an OLB or DL is much more likely at #27 because there won't be an ILB or TE with an equal or higher grade - or even one close enough to "reach" for.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think I'm in the same boat as most people here. Have been expecting us to draft a pass rusher in the 1st since like the middle of the season and am holding to that. Granted, ya never know who's gonna be on the board come draft day, but at a glance this far out and pre-combine, I'm still leaning towards pass rusher, most likely at LB position.

Sky King

Reaction score
Information about ecstasy addiction:

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/ecstasy.html

Frankly, I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10' pole if I were TT. Some physical damage may already have been done by this dangerous illicit drug and any such damage may be irreparable, per the linked information. There should be better short and long-term options at #27 than taking a chance on this high-risk player.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Peppers is a 50% of the D snaps player why are the Packers keeping his $10.5Mil cap hit? Got to imagine that money ($8Mil cap savings) can be better spent on Mike Neal AND draft a couple of OLB's (#1 or #2 and then a low rounder) to man that position.

Calhoun, Dodd or Spence should be available at #27 and Floyd, Fackrell, or Nassib should be around in round 2.

It is pretty tough to find pass rushers capable of making 10.5 sacks in a season, even with a first-round pick. I would be happy with the Packers re-negotiating his contract but don´t see it happening.

That being said, there's no denying that the Cowboys saw past his off field issues and pounced on what could be a steal. They got a potential top 10 pick in the second.

It´s true that Gregory could turn into a steal for the Cowboys but that´s far from your claim in the previous post that it worked out amazing for them.

As far a Collins, he went undrafted and was able to basically choose his team, but let's not say there's nothing TT could have done. He could have used a late round flier on him. I mean who would you rather have La'el Collins or Kennard Backman right now?

Collins wouldn´t have signed a contract with a team selecting him after the third round and would have reentered the 2016 draft.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB Antonio Morrison from Florida might be a good 2nd round pick for us. I really like him.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Typically, the Packer's are not the team to give off-field issue guys a chance. Noah Spence has New England (wait, sorry no first round pick), Dallas, Oakland, Cleveland or Buffalo written all over him. He is a great athlete, but not someone the Packer's want to have to worry about off-field. You give a 22 year old kid with a history of ecstasy problems a few million dollars and your asking for trouble. I am not saying he will not stay clean, but typically when players have off-field problems in college it easily translates into their future in the NFL. A player's character is a major part of the equation, imagine trading up and spending money for Johnny Manziel, Aaron Hernandez or Aldon Smith? The risk is rarely worth the reward. Though, you could get lucky and end up with a stand-up guy like Dez Bryant :D (sarcasm only).

D

Deleted member 6794

An interesting note about Spence and him mostly likely having dropped after his interviews and workouts at the combine is that no general manager or head coach attended his pro day at Eastern Kentucky.

While representatives from 28 NFL teams were on hand for the event, Tampa Bay defensive line coach Jay Hayes was the only position coach present. Washington's director of college scouting Scott Campbell and Jets senior director of college scouting Rex Hogan were the only front-office executives who attended.

Typically, teams will send at least one high-ranking member of the front office as part of a large contingent of reps to see top-level players they have high interest in drafting.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest CBS Mock Draft has Spence falling past #27, but still staying in the first round. He might be an option.
I think he should have waited more than a week for his pro day to show that he could improve, but many people think he's the best edge rusher in the draft. His senior bowl performance and the value of pass rushers will likely get him taken in the first. He'd be a perfect fit as a 3-4 OLB, but with Matthews and Peppers, they need to do something about the middle either in the draft or free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

Latest CBS Mock Draft has Spence falling past #27, but still staying in the first round. He might be an option.

I think he should have waited more than a week for his pro day to show that he could improve, but many people think he's the best edge rusher in the draft. His senior bowl performance and the value of pass rushers will likely get him taken in the first. He'd be a perfect fit as a 3-4 OLB, but with Matthews and Peppers, they need to do something about the middle either in the draft or free agency.

There's no doubt Spence is a highly talented edge rusher but there are several red flags regarding him. The Packers need to add some depth at OLB but I'd rather have Thompson go in a different direction.

Members online

Latest posts