Noah Spence

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yay or nay if (big if) he's there at 27? I know he has character issues, but the kid is incredibly talented. Get him in in some situational spots this year, have him learn from Peppers and come in the next year ready to set the league on fire.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yay or nay if (big if) he's there at 27? I know he has character issues, but the kid is incredibly talented. Get him in in some situational spots this year, have him learn from Peppers and come in the next year ready to set the league on fire.

I would be excited to get a talented player like Spence at #27. It´s impossible for us to make an educated guess about if he has grown up since he was banned at Ohio State. I hope Thompson and the Packers scouting staff do their due diligence on evaluating his character.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be excited to get a talented player like Spence at #27. It´s impossible for us to make an educated guess about if he has grown up since he was banned at Ohio State. I hope Thompson and the Packers scouting staff do their due diligence on evaluating his character.

As long as he doesn't have a history of violence (which I don't believe he does) I'm good with taking a chance on him. Being addicted to ecstacy isn't ideal obviously but I completely agree that if the Packers feel he will be there at their pick, I really hope they drill down into what kind of person he really is. I mean, Urban Meyer thought enough of him to help him find another landing spot so I don't think he's a bad person, just someone who had a problem and maybe a change of scenery was good for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Haven't we tried this experiment of taking at college DE and converting him to an OLB? :coffee: Throw in his character flaws and you have a boom or bust pick at #27. Unless TT goes out and fills other more pressing needs via the FA market, I wouldn't be that excited about Spence.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of different types of linebackers and DE's transition to hand on the ground DE's or standup OLB's in the NFL. They're all experiments at the next level as far as I'm concerned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haven't we tried this experiment of taking at college DE and converting him to an OLB? :coffee: Throw in his character flaws and you have a boom or bust pick at #27. Unless TT goes out and fills other more pressing needs via the FA market, I wouldn't be that excited about Spence.

With most college teams not playing a 3-4 defense it's tough to find impact players that have played the OLB position before entering the NFL. Spence is for sure one of the most talented edge rushers in this year's draft and if he's matured would be a nice addition.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still think Spence would be a luxury pick, depending on Peppers and any FA signings of our own or other teams. No doubt we need someone to take over for Peppers eventually, but we also need help at ILB and TE potentially sooner.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still think Spence would be a luxury pick, depending on Peppers and any FA signings of our own or other teams. No doubt we need someone to take over for Peppers eventually, but we also need help at ILB and TE potentially sooner.

That depends on if the Packers bring back Neal and Perry. If Thompson decides to let both walk away in free agency the team needs another edge rusher for sure.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I normally say the same thing, but Spence is a completely different player. He plays well standing up or with his hand in the dirt, but experts think he plays better standing up. This means he would be an easier transition to OLB. That's actually were people expect him to play. That being said, apparently his interview at the Senior Bowl put a lot of people off. I'd be super happy with him though as long as he gets his things together.

Edit: As far as this being a luxury pick. You have to pick the most talented player at your position of the draft. The cowboys did it twice last year and it worked out amazing for them. Their Oline is stacked and Gregory was a huge steal. We also saw what having two dominate OLBs does to an offense in the Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as this being a luxury pick. You have to pick the most talented player at your position of the draft. The cowboys did it twice last year and it worked out amazing for them. Their Oline is stacked and Gregory was a huge steal.

They finished 4-12.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, not having a starting QB and playing with your 2nd and 3rd QB will do that do you.
No kidding. Their defense kept them in almost every game, they just didn't have a QB to get the job done. The line turned McFadden into a 1,000 yard rusher. I wouldn't take a guy with a history of violence, but I'd consider if there was some sort of other trouble, if the value were too much to pass up.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Kevin Dodd out of Clemson. I think he'd be a good pick for some team.

I hope we can come out of this draft with either Dodd or Striker. I'd be real happy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

And the Packers finished with there worst regular season outcome in years, yet it sure as Hell wasn't for lack of effort from the Packers first two picks.

First of all I think it's funny that you disagree with a fact (the Cowboys going 4-12 in 2015). I didn't post anything about a lack of effort from the Cowboys first two picks this season but no matter how you look at it I wouldn't say their season worked out amazing. BTW in response to ThePerfectBeard's post I have a hard time understanding how Byron Jones (a defensive back) helped the Cowboys stack their offensive line.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as he doesn't have a history of violence (which I don't believe he does) I'm good with taking a chance on him. Being addicted to ecstacy isn't ideal obviously but I completely agree that if the Packers feel he will be there at their pick, I really hope they drill down into what kind of person he really is. I mean, Urban Meyer thought enough of him to help him find another landing spot so I don't think he's a bad person, just someone who had a problem and maybe a change of scenery was good for him.
Urban Meyer also called the Bears last year to politic for Ray McDonald to get a job.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this kid. Super athlete who was highly touted coming out of high school and would have played in big games at a big time school if not for poor life choices. In my opinion, he has no shot of lasting to #27. He'll test off the charts at the combine and be a top 12 pick.

He's made a lot of positive life choices the past two years. He's in voluntary treatment for the past two years and demands regular testing to keep himself accountable.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A team can never have too many elite level athletes or pass rushers. Having Ware and Miller didn't stop the Broncos from drafting Ray.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Peppers returns it will be for one year. Drafting a talent like Noah Spence and working him into the rotation in his rookie year, learning from an all-pro like Peppers sounds to me like something more than a luxury pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Peppers returns it will be for one year. Drafting a talent like Noah Spence and working him into the rotation in his rookie year, learning from an all-pro like Peppers sounds to me like something more than a luxury pick.

I don´t think there´s any doubt Spence has the talent needed to be an impact player in the NFL. His off-field issues are troubling though.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I think it's funny that you disagree with a fact (the Cowboys going 4-12 in 2015). I didn't post anything about a lack of effort from the Cowboys first two picks this season but no matter how you look at it I wouldn't say their season worked out amazing. BTW in response to ThePerfectBeard's post I have a hard time understanding how Byron Jones (a defensive back) helped the Cowboys stack their offensive line.

I was referring to the fact that they were able to get Jones, then got a steal with Gregory while also grabbing Collins as UDFA. That was all in one year of taking risks on players. Prior to that they built an already outstanding O-line.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was referring to the fact that they were able to get Jones, then got a steal with Gregory while also grabbing Collins as UDFA. That was all in one year of taking risks on players. Prior to that they built an already outstanding O-line.

Jones had a nice rookie season but Gregory did nothing special at all. Collins was a huge steal in undrafted free agency but that was a truly unique situation and because he was able to choose his team there wasn´t anything Thompson could have done about it. He struggled as a rookie though as well.

Members online

Latest posts