NO TRADE FOR TAYLOR, YET

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT can get away with just a 2nd round for Taylor, it would be the equivalent to a Corey Williams for Jason Taylor trade. If you break down that trade it's a young player possibly turning in his prime years versus a veteran who might be able to push out a few more good years. This is a good trade for a team that's looking to win now (pretty sure I heard someone compare it to the "Reggie White" trade) but the Packers are a team that's been getting younger so would pulling in a vet really be the right choice? I say this trade would have my full approval last season with Favre at the helm, but we already got a question mark for Rodgers, why would we want one on an aging DE?

However, you gotta give this guy some cred. He's 34 and pearling it on dancing with stars, I mean, a guy with that kind of direct athleticism and strength better be able to get a couple sacks. I also saw someone break down who Taylor got sacks against. If I remember right, Williams got 7 sacks but had two 3 sack games, a few of which were in garbage time. Now I'm not trying to say either of them are bad players, I'm saying fans notice stats, but what actually goes down on the field is not comparable. Either way, I wouldn't be for or against the trade as long as TT feels like he knows what he's doing and doesn't get rid of more than 2 draft picks, he's got a knack for the job he does.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT can get away with just a 2nd round for Taylor, it would be the equivalent to a Corey Williams for Jason Taylor trade. If you break down that trade it's a young player possibly turning in his prime years versus a veteran who might be able to push out a few more good years. This is a good trade for a team that's looking to win now (pretty sure I heard someone compare it to the "Reggie White" trade) but the Packers are a team that's been getting younger so would pulling in a vet really be the right choice? I say this trade would have my full approval last season with Favre at the helm, but we already got a question mark for Rodgers, why would we want one on an aging DE?

However, you gotta give this guy some cred. He's 34 and pearling it on dancing with stars, I mean, a guy with that kind of direct athleticism and strength better be able to get a couple sacks. I also saw someone break down who Taylor got sacks against. If I remember right, Williams got 7 sacks but had two 3 sack games, a few of which were in garbage time. Now I'm not trying to say either of them are bad players, I'm saying fans notice stats, but what actually goes down on the field is not comparable. Either way, I wouldn't be for or against the trade as long as TT feels like he knows what he's doing and doesn't get rid of more than 2 draft picks, he's got a knack for the job he does.

What he said.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well if the rumor machine at PackerChatters is correct on this..

A source told me that the Falcons and Ravens each have talked to the Packers a couple times within the last 24/48 hours about moving up back into round 1 (presumably for a QB). The Falcons want to take Glenn Dorsey with the 3rd overall pick (if he is still available) and would be willing to deal two second rounders ( #34 and #48 ) this year and a pick next year (but not their first rounder) for the #30 overall pick. That would give the Packers four 2nd round picks.

Giving up a 2nd for Taylor would be an excellent play.. IMO.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A source told me that the Falcons and Ravens each have talked to the Packers a couple times within the last 24/48 hours about moving up back into round 1 (presumably for a QB). The Falcons want to take Glenn Dorsey with the 3rd overall pick (if he is still available) and would be willing to deal two second rounders ( #34 and #48 ) this year and a pick next year (but not their first rounder) for the #30 overall pick. That would give the Packers four 2nd round picks.

Wow TT, with the depth in this draft and the Packers having pick #30, trading the first rounder for more second rounders would be amazing.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they bring in JT to replace Poppinga as SAM, then the Chillar signing seems worthless. We would have JT, Poppinga, Chillar, and Bishop on the depth chart.

Would love to see KGB, JT, Kampman all lined up together for those 3rd and 25 situations...sca-a-ry! Add Hawk, Barnett, or Bigby in on the blitz - Yikes.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

#34 / #48 / #56 / #60 WOW we could do some serious damage with that. including trading for Jason Taylor.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade the 30th and then get taylor for a 3rd round pick.

If Moss to the Pats was only a 4th round trade then Taylors only a 3rd at best.

Correct me if I am wrong about the Moss trade...

Having said all that I would love it if the Packers got Taylor.

My son is a dolphins fan. ( I know.... I have tried my best to convert him but at the momenet to no avail) at least he has seen his team playing at Wembley last October) so I would be in his fce if we can get Taylor as he's his favourite player. he is already devastated at losing Zach Thomas so to lose Taylor and to the Pack at that might be the final straw!!!!!!!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 2 and 4 seems high, and while he may not be declining - he is at the point where it could happen very quickly.

If he could be had for a 3, I think it would be a good deal. DL is one of the hardest positions to draft, especially a pass rush DE - so getting a proven player for a 3rd round pick could turn out to be a steal even if he is only an impact player for another 2-3 years.

GermanGilbert

Cheesehead
Reaction score

with this move tom dimitroff would join mike ditka in the "dumbest draft moves"-hall of fame. never the hell this will happen on saturday.

in the 2004 draft the falcons moved up 9 spots (#38 to #29) and threw in a late 4th and a swap of thirds. so it would be absolutely stupid to give a mid second and a future pick for an uptrade of 4 spots.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they bring in JT to replace Poppinga as SAM, then the Chillar signing seems worthless. We would have JT, Poppinga, Chillar, and Bishop on the depth chart.

Taylor plays LB in a 3-4, but would be a strict end in the Packers' scheme. No way he plays LB if he signs with the Pack.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Damn, that'd be sweet. Chances of it happening though would have to be remote. The Falcons are in a rebuilding mode now, making a youth movement and that's a lot to give up for a team in that condition.

I could see the Ravens trading up. I'm not to sure what they've got to give though. But, they make more sense then the Falcons trading up.

Reaction score

See either Joe needs to get new sources that realize that a trade value chart exists or he needs to do better research himself.

Under the New Revised trade value chart, pick 34 + pick 48 = 980 points. Pick 30 = 720 points.

980 > 720.

Under the old trade value chart, pick 34 + pick 48 = 980 points. Pick 30 = 620 points.

980 > 620.

Using common sense, it's obvious that the Packers will NOT be able to get two second round picks from the Falcons if they decide to trade their first pick.

It really does bug the heck out of me having such inconsistencies in Arrigo's stuff. On the one hand he says he just passes on info from his sources, and if that is the case then I would like for him to at least look at the probability of occurrence of what his sources tell him, and realize the rumor about getting two second rounders from Atlanta is hot air. Big time hot air.

EDIT - where are my manners? New Revised draft trade value chart can be found here.

Old draft trade value chart can be found here.

Courtesy PFT.

Members online

Latest posts