Nick Barnett

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Barnett is what he is an OLB with potential who is playing out of position at MLB.

Barnett gets regularly manhandled by offensive lineman and makes most of his tackles downfield after the play is won by the opposition.

Anyone who thinks that Barnett is a future Pro Bowler can be assured that it will not be at MLB.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. You've made it clear in a number of other threads how you feel about Barnett at MLB. I guess this is just a slow day for you and you're looking to stir up some sh

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
Nick Barnett is what he is an OLB with potential who is playing out of position at MLB.

Barnett gets regularly manhandled by offensive lineman and makes most of his tackles downfield after the play is won by the opposition.

Anyone who thinks that Barnett is a future Pro Bowler can be assured that it will not be at MLB.

If you made that statment several months ago I might agree somewhat BUT, Bates has looked at films, met with Barnett personally AND has seen him perform in mini-camps as well as the start of TC. And guess what ST??? He is still a MLB. Now, what does that tell you???

Bates has been around a long time and has built a reputation for having damn good defences. Why don't you sit back and let the man do his job.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess all of my time spent on softball this summer has made me miss a lot around here. this dude likes to stir things up i take it?

i will make sure to note this and repeat it back when nick heads to hawaii.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Steel Wheels said:

If you made that statment several months ago I might agree somewhat BUT, Bates has looked at films, met with Barnett personally AND has seen him perform in mini-camps as well as the start of TC. And guess what ST??? He is still a MLB. Now, what does that tell you???

It tells me that you are uninformed.

If you have been reading Packer articles Bates has said that Barnett is not a MLB but he will have to use him there for right now.

Get your facts straight.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"tells me that you are uninformed.

If you have been reading Packer articles Bates has said that Barnett is not a MLB but he will have to use him there for right now.

Get your facts straight"---By Steel wheels-- What is your source for this opinion? Packer articles in what publication and by who? Was this statement purported to made my Jim Bates about "Barnett is not MLB but will use him there for now" in direct quotes by Jim Bates.? If this statement was made it would be big news in Green Bay. Our call in Sports shows in Green Bay would be filled with this and so would all the Packer" beat writers " would have been writing columns on it, especially if Ted Thompson would have made this statement before Packer summer Training camp began, when things are slow around here. You being a knowledgeable football fan should realize not everything written in publications is fact. Much is nothing more then opinion. You have given we uninformed Packer fans, no facts to back up what you say is a fact. I have heard this opinion about Nick Barnett and the suggestion that this change be made, but never attributed to a member of the Green Bay Packer organization.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
"tells me that you are uninformed.

Get your facts straight"---By Steel wheels-- What is your source for this opinion? Packer articles in what publication and by who? Was this statement purported to made my Jim Bates about "Barnett is not MLB but will use him there for now" in direct quotes by Jim Bates.? If this statement was made it would be big news in Green Bay. Our call in Sports shows in Green Bay would be filled with this and so would all the Packer" beat writers " would have been writing columns on it, especially if Ted Thompson would have made this statement before Packer summer Training camp began, when things are slow around here. You being a knowledgeable football fan should realize not everything written in publications is fact. Much is nothing more then opinion. You have given we uninformed Packer fans, no facts to back up what you say is a fact. I have heard this opinion about Nick Barnett and the suggestion that this change be made, but never attributed to a member of the Green Bay Packer organization.

Bates shares his vision

Packers' defense gets to work
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: April 2, 2005

It took some time for new Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates and his staff to finally connect with the players, but early last week the foundation of Bates' new system was introduced to a nearly full complement of defensive returners.

Jim Bates, the Packers' new defensive coordinator, isn't afraid to get involved in drills, as he showed while inspecting NFL draft prospects during a workout in March in Gainesville, Fla.

As part of their off-season program, the Packers held the first four of 14 scheduled "opportunity" sessions, giving the players their first look at the new coordinator's plans for the defense. The sessions consist of 90-minute classroom meetings and 70-minute on-field workouts and feature both offensive and defensive players.

For Bates, who was hired in January, it was the first step in introducing a successful system he developed as defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins the past five seasons. His defenses ranked sixth, fifth, third, 10th and eighth during his tenure there and he intends to incorporate a similar style in Green Bay.

With players like Nick Barnett, Na'il Diggs, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Ahmad Carroll, Mark Roman and Joey Thomas in attendance, Bates began installation of the base package.

"Several guys got off to a good start and the attitude was tremendous," Bates said.

"This will give us a feel where we're at, where our young guys are and where we may need help in draft. I know as far as defensive coaches, especially being new, it was good to get these guys together, get them thinking about our scheme, get them knowledgeable, give them this extra time and evaluate where we are."

Attendance is not mandatory, although some players' presence is required for them to earn off-season workout bonuses, yet there were enough players around on offense and defense to do full 11-on-11 drills.

What Bates doesn't have yet is a full roster of defensive players, because general manager Ted Thompson has not replaced the likes of Darren Sharper, Hannibal Navies, Bhawoh Jue and Michael Hawthorne, all of whom either signed with other clubs or are free agents. It won't be until after the draft April 23 and 24 that Bates has a better idea of what he has, and perhaps not until June or July before he knows for sure.

Right now, the only safeties around are Roman, newly signed Todd Franz and "street" free agent Julius Curry. By the time the season rolls around the possibility exists that none of them will be on the roster.

"We'll have to add to the safety position," Bates said. "We'll have to address it in the draft and throughout. As far as any safeties who are out there that might be able to upgrade us, we'll be getting them in. Ted and his staff are moving in that direction."

One possible addition is Miami free agent Arturo Freeman, who is scheduled to visit the team this week. Freeman has started at both safety positions for the Dolphins, including the last seven games last year at free safety.

Notably absent from the Packers' "opportunity" sessions this week was defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt, who since signing his six-year, $25.35 million contract in 2003 has declined to take part in off-season workouts. Because part of his $6 million signing bonus is tied into attendance in those workouts, he has lost $250,000 each of those two years and will lose another $250,000 this year.

Bates hasn't lost a lot of sleep over Hunt's absence, despite the fact he's expecting a lot from him this season.

"He'll be here for the (post-draft) minicamp," Bates said. "He was here a couple of weeks ago and I had a real good visit with him. He's 29 years old and it will be up to him. We'll do all the motivation, but he has to come of age and say, 'I'm ready to go.'

"He has to show us that, and he's going to be treated just like everybody else on this football team. The main thing is to have him for the first minicamp. The tackle position is not near as complicated as the linebacker or defensive backfield."

One area that remains in flux is linebacker, where Bates has not decided where he will play Barnett. The majority of work this week for Barnett occurred at middle linebacker, the position he has manned since being drafted in the first round two years ago.

But Bates also had him work at the weak-side position because depending on how free agency and the draft goes, the Packers might acquire someone whose best position is in the middle. Like safety, linebacker is a high-priority position because without Navies, the Packers are without one of their starters and not very deep at the position overall.

"Right now he's our Mike (middle linebacker)," Bates said of Barnett. "Free agency is almost over with and whatever happens in the draft, Nick is a good enough athlete to play all three positions within our scheme."

One of the free agents the Packers are looking at is Kansas City backup Monty Beisel, who fits the mold of the smaller, quicker-type linebacker Bates favors. When it's all said and done, Bates expects to have a group of linebackers who can run and swarm to the ball.

The goal in the coming weeks will be to bring younger players like Carroll, Thomas, Chris Johnson, James Lee, Donnell Washington and Kenny Peterson up to speed with the system. Bates would like to hit training camp running and not have to worry about leaving the young players behind.

"Those guys can't get enough film study and study as far as the playbook, and the more knowledge they have before they go to training camp the better off they're going to be and the better off we're going to be," Bates said. "There has to be big emphasis on all young players."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Did you even read the article you posted? That is not even remotely what Bates said. Chase, I sometimes wonder why you even bother.

I only skimmed it earlier but had to leave, but my initial thought was the same thing there.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Right now he's our Mike (middle linebacker)," Bates said of Barnett. "Free agency is almost over with and whatever happens in the draft, Nick is a good enough athlete to play all three positions within our scheme." - Dated April 2, 2005

And as of today- August 7, 2005 Barnett is still the MLB in Bates system.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
"Right now he's our Mike (middle linebacker)," Bates said of Barnett. "Free agency is almost over with and whatever happens in the draft, Nick is a good enough athlete to play all three positions within our scheme." - Dated April 2, 2005

And as of today- August 7, 2005 Barnett is still the MLB in Bates system.

You left out:

One area that remains in flux is linebacker, where Bates has not decided where he will play Barnett. The majority of work this week for Barnett occurred at middle linebacker, the position he has manned since being drafted in the first round two years ago.

But Bates also had him work at the weak-side position because depending on how free agency and the draft goes, the Packers might acquire someone whose best position is in the middle.

"the Packers might acquire someone whose best position is in the middle."

In other words for the slow people, Barnett's best position is NOT in the middle.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Attention Corky:

Steel Wheels said:
"the Packers might acquire someone whose best position is in the middle."

In other words for the slow people, Barnett's best position is NOT in the middle.

And for the brain-dead among us, none of what was written in that article says anything to the effect that Barnett will not excel at MLB nor did it say that he will not make the Pro Bowl playing that position. In fact, this is what it does say:

"Nick is a good enough athlete to play all three positions within our scheme."

Which roughly translates into NICK IS A GOOD ENOUGH ATHLETE TO PLAY ALL THREE POSITIONS WITHIN OUR SCHEME.

Additionally, if the Pack were to acquire someone who's best position is middle, Nick's talents could be used elsewhere to provide more versitility to the defence. It in no way implies that Barnett cannot play MLB, in fact it states exactly the opposite.

Keep trying, Wheels.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What it says is they may be able to pick up a guy who's a better fit at MLB than he is elsewhere and, given Barnett's versatility, Barnett would then move outside. The article in no way says that Barnett's best position is not MLB.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The need for attention....lots of attention. Like publicity, there, apparently, is no such thing as bad attention either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts