Nick Barnett twitted....

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett says he thinks with our first pick we are going either OLB or a Olineman depending on whats available. Do they really think we dont need any CB back help?? With the first pick, Id hope they pick a CB then an olineman. Am I wrong in thinking cb is our priority?

NFL ranks the Packers draft priority like this : CB, OL, S, RB, LB

Looks right to me!

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, I think we ought to go OL, CB, LB in our first 3 rounds. But in what order do I think we should do that? I don't quite know at the moment. I'm not too clued up about the CB and LB draft classes at the moment to be able to determine whom we should pick and where. If the LB class is deep enough, then we could swap out LB with S in the first 3 rounds.

Not long until we find out I guess!

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
All need to be addressed, but I think OL is our top priority. Only problem is Priority doesn't mean much if There's plenty of OLineman available later, and only a few CBs available early, etc. From what I've seen of this year's draft (Which is next to nothing) there seems to be a lot of Corner Backs available later, while only a few good Olineman.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When will we all learn?

Ted and co. hardly go for need with 1st pick, although last year I do think they did that

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When will we all learn?

Ted and co. hardly go for need with 1st pick, although last year I do think they did that

So I guess we will never know... TT keeps us guessing still.
Out of the top 5 ranked CBs eligible for the draft, 2 or 3 of them are underclassman. I just hope GB doesnt continue to turn away from the fact that we need CB/Saftey help in this draft, they cannot be that blind.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett knows about as much as we do. But at least he cares.

Corner is our biggest need, our D dies without an improvement there.
I could see us taking a DE as well early in the draft. We could use more of a pass rusher. Oline will be what everyone is talking about but I dont expect Ted to draft one early on unless he sees a gem.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid from Rutgers is the one I hope we draft. He will be a good kick returner as well.

I hope they draft a freakin kicker!!!!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we need o-linemen, but it won't make any difference who we've got on offense if we don't develop a pass rush, as the Cardinal game proved. We need another pass rusher before anything, imo. Pressure on the QB is the most important thing on defense in today's game.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is any truth to this, I am sure they have CB on their mind but I am sure that they have run every scenario of the draft they could think of and find that most likely the talent that will be available at 23 that they like will either be an OT or OLB/DE. They not necessarily wont take a CB in the first but it would be unlikely that the CB that they want will fall far enough.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT allways go for future FA departures with the first pick, unless there's a great balue (in his board) available.

Aaron Rodgers (Favre), A.J. Hawk (Nail Diggs, Robert Thomas), Justin Harrell (Corey Williams), B.J. Raji (Pickett).

The exception was Brohm, were he didn't found anyone worth in the 30th pick, and found him too valuable to pass on.

I'm talking about the first pick. CM3 he moved up to pick, because of value.

So, he might consider Cullen Jenkins, Al Harris or Chad Clifton as future departures. Or he might consider a player too valuable to pass on.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO this CB class is way too deep not to find a good CB in the later rounds. TT is a pretty sly GM who has the attitude of why waste a high pick now when I can find about the same quality later on and get more draft picks in the process. In a sense he's pretty thrifty. So while taking a CB in the first round is not such a bad idea, I don't think it's the smart one either.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on the needs, however, CB might be one that slides. With Wood, Harris, Tramon, Lee, Underwood, and Bush, the pick would probably not see the field, IMO. Although maybe drafting a CB would force Ted to cut Bush, who would eventually be picked up by Minnesota, which would be like sending a trojan horse into Troy....In that case, I hope they draft a CB early!!! :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on the needs, however, CB might be one that slides. With Wood, Harris, Tramon, Lee, Underwood, and Bush, the pick would probably not see the field, IMO. Although maybe drafting a CB would force Ted to cut Bush, who would eventually be picked up by Minnesota, which would be like sending a trojan horse into Troy....In that case, I hope they draft a CB early!!! :happy0005:
I like the way you think, Mr.!

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
have they cut barber? two Trojan horses are better than 1!

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
IMHO this CB class is way too deep not to find a good CB in the later rounds. TT is a pretty sly GM who has the attitude of why waste a high pick now when I can find about the same quality later on and get more draft picks in the process. In a sense he's pretty thrifty. So while taking a CB in the first round is not such a bad idea, I don't think it's the smart one either.

If this is true, I wouldn't mind trading down to grab a quality CB and maybe a quality Safety with one pick

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You dont think if GB does pick up a CB in the early rounds (1,2) that is better than Lee and Underwood (which isnt hard, Underwood more so than Lee) and is Obviously better than Bush (Lets face it, Im better than Bush) that draftee wouldnt see the field? No one knows how Harris is going to come back from this injury, they can replicate game intensity to test his injury all they want, nothing compares to the cuts and plants hes going to have to make come game time.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont think if GB does pick up a CB in the early rounds (1,2) that is better than Lee and Underwood (which isnt hard, Underwood more so than Lee) and is Obviously better than Bush (Lets face it, Im better than Bush) that draftee wouldnt see the field? No one knows how Harris is going to come back from this injury, they can replicate game intensity to test his injury all they want, nothing compares to the cuts and plants hes going to have to make come game time.

This sounds just about right. Judging by this year's CB class you really don't need to draft one in the first couple rounds to get a starter. And besides I think TT has too much vested interest in Lee to give up on him at this point.

OP
OP
A12ROD903

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds just about right. Judging by this year's CB class you really don't need to draft one in the first couple rounds to get a starter. And besides I think TT has too much vested interest in Lee to give up on him at this point.

Yeah... look where vesting in players has gotten TT cough cough Harrell cough cough. I will say though Lee needs to be given a chance, if he can stay healthy.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah... look where vesting in players has gotten TT cough cough Harrell cough cough. I will say though Lee needs to be given a chance, if he can stay healthy.

Alright TT deserves the blame for drafting and even keeping Harrell to this day. But before the preseason there was a rumor that he was set to be releaded. After OTAs the coaches actually convinced TT to keep him around. To this day I still don't know why they did that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright TT deserves the blame for drafting and even keeping Harrell to this day. But before the preseason there was a rumor that he was set to be releaded. After OTAs the coaches actually convinced TT to keep him around. To this day I still don't know why they did that.
Harrell's contract is strutured in a way that he only gets real money if he sees the field.

Poppinga is much more expensive to the team than Harrell.

Harrell hasn't been cut because he offers potential, while not costing much. Brohm's contract was in a similar manner.

One can make a more than valid argument that selecting Harrell was a waste of a pick.

But keeping him isn't costing a roster spot, and isn't costing much money. There isn't a real con to keeping Harrell...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell's contract is strutured in a way that he only gets real money if he sees the field.

Poppinga is much more expensive to the team than Harrell.

Harrell hasn't been cut because he offers potential, while not costing much. Brohm's contract was in a similar manner.

One can make a more than valid argument that selecting Harrell was a waste of a pick.

But keeping him isn't costing a roster spot, and isn't costing much money. There isn't a real con to keeping Harrell...

Agreed. and well said.

With no cap he could keep him this year as well. I expect he only cuts him if he isnt producing while healthy this season.

Reaction score
I say it depends. It matter whos the best prospect available. Thats how Ted Thompson drafts and thats how I like it whether its an olb a safety an o linemen or a Cb TT will draft the best available out of those spots. In TT we trust

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the catch with this draft: go with the o line first. Packers need a good lineman for the future, Clifton and Tauscher aren't getting any younger. This is an exceptional draft year with some phenomenal talent at CB. There will be players taken in the third round that would have been late first or second rounders in previous seasons. A big name will be available (fingers crossed) in the second round for the Packers, so addressing the O Line is a must.

Additionally, there is a lot of talent at line this year as well, but it is not as deep. It could be a draft year full of first round o line picks especially with the draft lacking in standout running backs and WR's.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fact, I really like Kareem Jackson from Alabama. He has a ton of potential IMO. Also Jerome Murphy could be a great option in GB if he can revamp his character and was coached for a couple seasons on his weaknesses. One of his best assets is his jam. Sound familiar? Guy is similar to Al Harris. Could be a good sleeper in the draft if he falls to round three or even four.

Members online

Latest posts