NFL Veteran Combine today

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when George Allen and others would have open tryouts? Ended up with a few good players , too. The one that sticks out for me is Otis Sistrunk. No college, I believe he was working as a construction worker. Went on to become a pretty good DT.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The inaugural veteran combine is taking place today in Tempe. As the linked article below says, “At first blush, the combine might look like a glorified extension of the anonymous workouts that teams hold for street free agents all the time.” It looks like that to me on ‘second blush’ too, but I wouldn't be surprised if a player or two makes an NFL roster. The link below lists all the players participating and the author asserts three of the players belong on NFL rosters. It also shows some pre-draft projections of some of the participants from NFL Draft Scout and Walter Football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...015-players-who-will-make-rosters-this-season
I'm actually amazed bleacher report put a list in an article instead of making you click through it one player at a time.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe Adam Carriker is out of the league already and having to try-out at a veteran combine. I always like him as a 3-4 defensive lineman.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carriker put up 40 reps on the bench press today.

The saddest part of today's vet combine was the 40 time for some of the RBs.
Michael Bush looked like he was running with a piano on his back.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I need to see if I can get into this combine lol. I'm 6'2 200 lbs and in pretty good shape . Granted I probably don't run a 4.4 anymore I can't be any slower than a 4.5 Haha nah, outside of getting together with the fellows on Sundays after church or flag football leagues I think my playing days are over. At least my son got all my athleticism tho!!!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Felix jones. Ran a 4.4 coming out of Arkansas about 4 years ago and ran like a 4.8 today. Ouch, not getting a job like that.

H

HardRightEdge

Carriker put up 40 reps on the bench press today.

The saddest part of today's vet combine was the 40 time for some of the RBs.
Michael Bush looked like he was running with a piano on his back.
Carriker tore a quad tendon in week 2 of 2012 and has not played since.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carriker wouldn't be a bad pickup he was pretty solid before he got hurt. Felix Jones is done. Got fat and lost his speed .

H

HardRightEdge

Carriker wouldn't be a bad pickup he was pretty solid before he got hurt.
Maybe, maybe not. Lifting off the bench is one thing. If asked to do a squat, the knee might buckle. If he's running around OK, somebody might give him a shot at training camp where contact drills would be revealing one way or the other.

Sherrod is on a roster. One supposes Carriker, in a similar situation (though with a better resume), might end up on somebody's 90 man roster. I wouldn't mind the Packers bringing him into camp if he passes the initial muster at this Combine. The 90th. roster spot is the lowest risk proposition in the entire personnel enterprise.

It's a very marginal decision in the great scheme of things.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, zero risk, possible if unlikely benefit.
It's a could win, can't lose proposition.

D

Deleted member 6794

Carriker was actually pretty terrible in 2011 while playing in all 16 games at DE for the Redskins, especially against the run. I don´t think he would offer anything the Packers are looking for.

H

HardRightEdge

Carriker was actually pretty terrible in 2011 while playing in all 16 games at DE for the Redskins, especially against the run. I don´t think he would offer anything the Packers are looking for.
I don't want to overdo the case, because its one of those marginal things with very low risk and an unlikely reward. Not to mention that the idea of Thompson signing a 31 year old with a severe injury history is about as unlikely a proposition as you can find.

However, looking at the current roster, who are the players who can rush the passer from 3-tech in nickel?

- There's Daniels, but he can't be taking every snap.
- There's Datone Jones, who is hardly inspiring.
- Josh Boyd played there some, but in the end Peppers and Neal took his snaps. I doubt Boyd makes the team.
- I like Robinson, but we'll have to see.
- Thornton, Gaston...works in progress that also might not cut it for the 53.

Guion fits the bill OK; Raji in a former interation. Neither of those guys may even be in camp.

If those two guys are replaced with a true 2-gap nose tackle and Pennel getting more snaps, the nickel DT position is awfully thin. Peppers presents a confusing moment for the offense in spot duty, but he's better used on the edge to state the obvious. The Incredible Shrinking Neal was a stop gap spot player out of position in that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want to overdo the case, because its one of those marginal things with very low risk and an unlikely reward. Not to mention that the idea of Thompson signing a 31 year old with a severe injury history is about as unlikely a proposition as you can find.

However, looking at the current roster, who are the players who can rush the passer from 3-tech in nickel?

- There's Daniels, but he can't be taking every snap.
- There's Datone Jones, who is hardly inspiring.
- Josh Boyd played there some, but in the end Peppers and Neal took his snaps. I doubt Boyd makes the team.
- I like Robinson, but we'll have to see.
- Thornton, Gaston...works in progress that also might not cut it for the 53.

Guion fits the bill OK; Raji in a former interation. Neither of those guys may even be in camp.

If those two guys are replaced with a true 2-gap nose tackle and Pennel getting more snaps, the nickel DT position is awfully thin. Peppers presents a confusing moment for the offense in spot duty, but he's better used on the edge to state the obvious. The Incredible Shrinking Neal was a stop gap spot player out of position in that role.

After reading your post I agree that the Packers probably lack some depth on pass rushers from the nickel DT position although I think Datone Jones was better than you give him credit for. The defense has more obvious holes to fill though and overall I expect the pass rush to be fine even without adding a free agent for the 3-tech.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Due to having to prioritize, we may see the pass rush being basically the same guys. Datone Jones is the key for me here, but I'm not too confident in him making a big jump at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

Due to having to prioritize, we may see the pass rush being basically the same guys. Datone Jones is the key for me here, but I'm not too confident in him making a big jump at this point.
We're down Guion. While he's never going to be a high sack guy, he does a good job pushing the pocket in 3-tech.

While his absence is always talked about in terms of NT, he was probably the second best 3-tech nickel guy on the roster last season. And how many years can Daniels be expected to take 700 snaps?

With Matthews expected to make a reappearance at ILB in nickel, getting push out of the 3-tech position is a priority. Replacing Guion in that role is important, even if Jones steps up his game. Rotational guys at that position are a must if you don't want the 3-tech/5-tech DE/DT swing guys gassed in the 4th. quarter or worn down by playoff time.

I like the little I've seen of Robinson; he looks pretty nimble for a big man. But I wouldn't hang my hat on the much ballyhooed second-year jump.

History shows that when the jump comes, it's from guys who showed enough to get some snaps in year one. A high percentage of the guys who are healthy but end up deep on the bench or practice squad do not ascend.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're down Guion. While he's never going to be a high sack guy, he does a good job pushing the pocket in 3-tech.

While his absence is always talked about in terms of NT, he was probably the second best 3-tech nickel guy on the roster last season. And how many years can Daniels be expected to take 700 snaps?

With Matthews expected to make a reappearance at ILB in nickel, getting push out of the 3-tech position is a priority. Replacing Guion in that role is important, even if Jones steps up his game. Rotational guys at that position are a must if you don't want the 3-tech/5-tech DE/DT swing guys gassed in the 4th. quarter or worn down by playoff time.

I like the little I've seen of Robinson; he looks pretty nimble for a big man. But I wouldn't hang my hat on the much ballyhooed second-year jump.

History shows that when the jump comes, it's from guys who showed enough to get some snaps in year one. A high percentage of the guys who are healthy but end up deep on the bench or practice squad do not ascend.

Which makes the risk of standing pat and hoping to hit on a draft pick or two that much more of a risk.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seeing the highlights of the veteran combine..I kind of understand Ted's approach a little more. These guys were slow, and out of shape. I don't even understand why? Mikel Leshoure you're only 24 years old man! :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20150323_172802.jpg
    IMG_20150323_172802.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

After seeing the highlights of the veteran combine..I kind of understand Ted's approach a little more. These guys were slow, and out of shape. I don't even understand why? Mikel Leshoure you're only 24 years old man! :confused:
You say that as though scrounging for vet camp bodies and signing zero outside players are the only two approaches.

There happens to be vast middle ground that the other 31 populate to varying degrees, a few with greater success than Thompson has enjoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say that as though scrounging for vet camp bodies and signing zero outside players are the only two approaches.

There happens to be vast middle ground that the other 31 populate to varying degrees, a few with with greater success than Thompson has enjoyed.
A very limited few. That I think we can agree on.

H

HardRightEdge

A very limited few. That I think we can agree on.
Any team that has won a Super Bowl in the last decade is his match.

You did not address the other point. Nobody tries to build a team off the scrap heap.

Your comparison was false, a straw man argument.

Members online

Latest posts