Next paddlehands up?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the new paddlehands candidate?

Devante aka DDP is starting to shed this nickname. Cobb?

Janis is wrongroute

Davis is the punt returning chicken....we need some fresh blood here...Bill?

Jimmy Graham is a thought...

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How are insecure posters supposed to maintain their tough guy personas if they don’t rip on the players? Answer me that.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are insecure posters supposed to maintain their tough guy personas if they don’t rip on the players? Answer me that.
We were too ******* Adams. It was just a frustrating situation where he could have been the saving grace for our offense, but he was a struggling young player who was arguably the worst player on the field at the time. M. Bennett deserves to be called far worse.

D

Deleted member 6794

We were too ******* Adams. It was just a frustrating situation where he could have been the saving grace for our offense, but he was a struggling young player who was arguably the worst player on the field at the time.

Adams was struggling because of a nagging ankle injury though. It was ridiculous fans advocated for the Packers to release him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was struggling because of a nagging ankle injury though. It was ridiculous fans advocated for the Packers to release him.
That was my point. We had a fat RB, a boat anchor at TE, a suddenly average Cobb, and our leading WR couldn't even make another roster. Far too much pressure was put on Adams by the fans and organization, and he wasn't physically up to the task. It was an unfortunate circumstance which showed the weaknesses in the other skill players and coaching staff.

We need to add some sort of dynamic player. Jones seemed to be that kind of player, but I don't trust McCarthy to be able to use him in a creative way in the passing game, where he could be a huge factor if used properly.

D

Deleted member 6794

We need to add some sort of dynamic player. Jones seemed to be that kind of player, but I don't trust McCarthy to be able to use him in a creative way in the passing game, where he could be a huge factor if used properly.

There has been a lot of talk this offseason about the coaching staff rebuilding the playbook from the ground up, so there's hope that will result in a more creative scheme.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk this offseason about the coaching staff rebuilding the playbook from the ground up, so there's hope that will result in a more creative scheme.
Yeah, yeah. I want to be hopeful, but when it comes to NFL coaches, talk is cheap and they are who they are. If he were capable of that, he should have been doing it all along. I'm not convinced that he is.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The old saw is true: If you start listening to the fans, you'll wind up sitting with them.

All those who insisted Davante Adams be cut.......Good thing for Green Bay no one with the power to do so listened to them. May it ever be so.

As for the childish nicknames.......I can't say I really care.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, yeah. I want to be hopeful, but when it comes to NFL coaches, talk is cheap and they are who they are. If he were capable of that, he should have been doing it all along. I'm not convinced that he is.

Philbin being back in Green Bay might help the offense though. The Packers scored the third most points in NFL history during his last season as offensive coordinator with the team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin being back in Green Bay might help the offense though. The Packers scored the third most points in NFL history during his last season as offensive coordinator with the team.
"Might" help is not good enough. We have Aaron Rodgers. Young, talented offensive minds around the league would line up to coach this team, because he will make any OC look good and lead to a HC opportunity elsewhere.

Instead, we have a retread who nobody else in the league wanted and proved to be relatively worthless outside of GB. McCarthy's scheme is stale, and he's proven to hire and stay loyal to terrible "coordinators" . Just more wasted years of Rodgers' career.

D

Deleted member 6794

"Might" help is not good enough. We have Aaron Rodgers. Young, talented offensive minds around the league would line up to coach this team, because he will make any OC look good and lead to a HC opportunity elsewhere.

Instead, we have a retread who nobody else in the league wanted and proved to be relatively worthless outside of GB. McCarthy's scheme is stale, and he's proven to hire and stay loyal to terrible "coordinators" . Just more wasted years of Rodgers' career.

The Packers bringing in a young offensive mind wouldn't guarantee the offense being any better either. While I agree that McCarthy's scheme has some flaws I don't understand the steady criticism of his overall work as the team ranks third in points scored during his tenure. Philbin definitely wasn't successful as a head coach but I don't consider him a terrible coordinator by any means after Green Bay scored 560 points during his last season at the position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the new paddlehands candidate?

Devante aka DDP is starting to shed this nickname. Cobb?

Janis is wrongroute

Davis is the punt returning chicken....we need some fresh blood here...Bill?

Jimmy Graham is a thought...
It's like you are taking pride in not knowing what the you were talking about.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sound surrender before the battle's fought?

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy's has discussed applying a "scrub brush" to the playbook where each page is being reexamined. How much change comes about remains to be seen.

So, what's the problem that's being addressed? I find it hard to argue with anything in this link:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...-a-scrub-brush-approach-to-offenses-playbook/

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy's has discussed applying a "scrub brush" to the playbook where each page is being reexamined. How much change comes about remains to be seen.

So, what's the problem that's being addressed? I find it hard to argue with anything in this link:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...-a-scrub-brush-approach-to-offenses-playbook/
This article nails it. People want to put 100 percent of the blame on Hundley, but the truth is that even Rodgers hasbeen struggling to move the ball outside of the red zone. He just can score TDs in the red zone unlike any QB in the history of the league, and doesn't put the team in tough positions via turnovers.

It looks like an offense designed by a stubborn old fool, attempting to fit square pegs into round holes, instead of utilizing the skillsets of the players. We had a WR in the backfield for many games, yet instead of utilizing his matchup advantage against LBs in coverage, he just ran draws until he went to the IR. Even Jones and Williams showed good his hand the ability to contribute in the passing game, yet generic 90s screens was the extent of their involvement.

He still can't find a way to get Cobb involved, after teams exposed that he wasn't great at separation during ISO routes. Even though Adams is very good at the catch point, he rarely seems to have much separation. Which is the issue. Either we have painfully slow WRs, or poorly designed routes which do not give them an advantage in coverage. Either way, it has made the job of the QB very difficult, while other OCs with better schemes have made the job for their QBs easier.

H

HardRightEdge

This article nails it. People want to put 100 percent of the blame on Hundley, but the truth is that even Rodgers hasbeen struggling to move the ball outside of the red zone. He just can score TDs in the red zone unlike any QB in the history of the league, and doesn't put the team in tough positions via turnovers.

It looks like an offense designed by a stubborn old fool, attempting to fit square pegs into round holes, instead of utilizing the skillsets of the players. We had a WR in the backfield for many games, yet instead of utilizing his matchup advantage against LBs in coverage, he just ran draws until he went to the IR. Even Jones and Williams showed good his hand the ability to contribute in the passing game, yet generic 90s screens was the extent of their involvement.

He still can't find a way to get Cobb involved, after teams exposed that he wasn't great at separation during ISO routes. Even though Adams is very good at the catch point, he rarely seems to have much separation. Which is the issue. Either we have painfully slow WRs, or poorly designed routes which do not give them an advantage in coverage. Either way, it has made the job of the QB very difficult, while other OCs with better schemes have made the job for their QBs easier.
It's not as though the Packers have been incapable of running a ball control, move-the-chains passing offense when circumstances dictate. I've pointed out on several occasions the second half of the Dallas game followed by the Bears game in 2016. The passing offense had been struggling. Remember all of the "what's wrong with Rodgers?" chatter? I think Rodgers finished that Dallas game 14 of 15 or something of the sort. In the Bears game he set the franchise record for completions, going 39 of 56 for 326 yds, but for only 5.8 yds. per attempt and 8.4 yds. per completion. But it added up to 21 passing first downs and 39 minutes of possession. Montgomery had 10 and 9 catches in those two games, respectively.

Since they have not since gone back to this approach for a half let alone a full game, one can't help but think it was more getting back to basics to get some rhythm going rather than exploiting matchups.

I wouldn't necessarily lay all of the blame on McCarthy, however, in the Packers struggling between the 20's in recent years. As recently as two years ago, Rodgers stated that this is primarily a downfield passing team. There's been an inclination to just play their game, that game, and leave it to the defenses to find ways to stop it.

Will the playbook "scrub" lead to a more back-to-basics, West Coast-y, ball control approach when the opportunities present themselves?

I would observe that Philbin's last season with the Packers was the high flying 2011 year. Is that the magic they wish to recapture? The Packers have had various levels of interest in Robinson, Watkins and Matthews, three different kinds of WRs. Then the only free agent signing was the TE who plays primarily slot and wideout which suggests more of a ball control approach.

I don't think there is a coherent picture yet. Who they draft to take Nelson's spot might give us some indication. If they don't draft an evident replacement on day 1 or 2, that will tell us something else.

My guess is they will try to replace Nelson's characteristics: a big receiver with long speed to try to recapture some of the old magic where moving the ball between the 20's was done in chunks. He'd have to be a pretty darn good route runner from the get go for Rodgers to want to throw him the ball with any regularity. Replacing the 2011 version of Nelson with a rookie of any provenance is darn near impossible, but decent rookie production gets you somethin' somethin'.

I'd only hope what comes out of this is less stuboness about the "identity" and more opportunistic flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
We should somehow lead all newcomers to this thread and keep them confused for a little while. If they make it out of here without any brain damage they can stay :laugh:

Members online

Latest posts