1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New Zone Blocking Scheme

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by mattresell, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking over the weights of all the Falcons offensive lineman. None are over 310. I'm assuming this is because in the zone blocking scheme, lineman must be quick and athletic.

Most of the lineman we currently have don't really fit that bill. Do you have concerns with this or do you think they are athletic enough to make it work. More specifically, I'm speaking of Clifton and Tauscher because I think we'll bring in new guards or use Wells who does fit the prototype.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    well weight might not be an issue in zone blocking, but im not sure. your guess makes sense though. I like a number of our linemen (Clifton,Tauscher,Flanny,Wells, and even whittcker will be ok i think. he was rushed into action). I think they have decent speed. with all the stupid pulling sherm did every run play(mostly guards) I think they could handle some zone blocking. Since they are bigger\fatter, they SHOULD(in theory) be able to handle more of a zone(fatness takes up the zone, get it? not sure how it will work)

Good call, and how many of our O-linemen are FAs this year? Anyone know? Im curious to how that works now.

3. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    i forget where i read it, but i believe whether or not we will adopt that philosophy still hasn't been decided. naturally the scheme has to fit the personel...you bring up a good point.

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    that jag guy hasnt even taken the OC job yet

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I have the answer to the question, "Will the jag bring the zone blocking to our o-line?"

answer(from espn.com):

Jagodzinski said the Packers' offensive line should be able to quickly pick up the same zone blocking scheme that is used in Denver and Atlanta.

6. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jagodzinski has signed on board the McCarthy coaching staff. It was announced on Green Bay
    TV Sunday. Was there any doubt? Jeff has been a Green Bay Packer fan all his life, since he was a youngster wearing a Bart Starr jersey growing up in West Allis ,Wi. He is thrilled to once again to be a Packer coach here in Green Bay. I wish him luck in his new position as Packer offensive Co ordinator. If he is successful, it will help Packer head Coach McCarthy turn this Packer team around quickly, which I am sure all Packer fans want the past losing '05 season to become a successful '06 winning season. It is not an impossible objective!!! It has been done by other franchise in this era of Competitive Balance (Salary cap & Free Agency). Patriots , Steelers, Bears , Chargers Bengals and other teams have done it in last few years in NFL. Why not the Packers?

7. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Tauch and clifton will be fine and GB will add a G in this years draft as well as LenDale White w/the first pick. White will do well in jags blocking schemes, and GB will finish in the top 5 in rushing next year.