New rules about playing with your own balls

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett's statement about getting ready to retire could be taken either way. He is or he isn't.

And as former equipment manager for the old Sheboygan Redwings, Solly Wegner said, "Ain't nobody but the home team playing with my balls." :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
:walks in, shakes her head in disgust, walks out:

NOW you sound like RYAN! First it's Trom, now Ryan??? When you gonna start sounding like ME!!! (Come on.....get CHEESEY!!!)LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Maybe we need a reminder of what this thread is about. :)

NFL quarterbacks like to have a feel for the ball they are throwing, but until recently policy dictated that only the home team's quarterbacks could control their condition.

Now, in a low-profile wrinkle approved by the league at the recent owners meetings, visiting quarterbacks will be throwing balls they like, too.

Peyton Manning said yesterday that he and New England quarterback Tom Brady rallied the league's prominent starting quarterbacks behind the idea.

"We sort of helped lead the charge on getting that rule changed; we had a little petition going around," Manning said. "Tom Brady and I kind of teamed up and got 20 quarterbacks to sign the petition; we tracked Steve (McNair) down in Mississippi.

"Everybody faxed their petition back pretty much the next day. It was pretty much a no-brainer on trying to get that changed. Because it just makes sense. You throw your footballs at home, you ought to be able to throw the footballs you want on the road as well. Nobody wants to see a receiver wide open and the ball two-hopped to him because the ball is slick."

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the league's competition committee with Atlanta General Manager Rich McKay, said the group never actually got the petition, but it did get the letter spelling out the request.

The committee found "no competitive advantage or disadvantage" in the suggestion, Fisher said, and recommended the change to the league's members, who approved it.

Previously, the home team provided 24 balls for plays from scrimmage to game officials, who approved them before the game, then gave them to the sideline officials, who put them in and out of play.

Eighteen other K balls, the balls used exclusively on kicking plays, were received by officials the night before a game at their hotel and prepared by them.

Now, Fisher said, each team will bring 12 balls that will be stamped with the team name. Officials will get them before the game, inspect them for approval, and pass them along to the sideline officials before the game begins.

"The team on offense will use the appropriate footballs, and the kicking balls will still be put into the game the same way they were previously," Fisher said.

There is only so much quarterbacks can do with the balls as they prepared them for a game, but they are allowed to work on them with their equipment staff to ensure they aren't slick and are comfortable to throw.

"The referees still check it; you can't be throwing a flat football or an old football," Manning said. "They still like that shiny NFL/ Wilson logo on the football."

Buoyed by the ability of the group to effect change, Manning — the two-time NFL MVP, and Brady — the two-time Super Bowl MVP, joked about what they could turn their attention to now.

"I asked Brady, what can we get changed next?" Manning said with a laugh. "Brett Favre was funny. He said, 'Now you're getting the balls changed, and now I'm about to retire, that's not fair.' There was a little bonding there by the quarterbacks of the NFL, it was good to see that."

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts