New “targeting” rule

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
surprised there is no thread on this yet. What are people’s thoughts?

I don’t like the broad strokes of the any lowering of the helmet. So no qb sneaks? Runners can no longer attempt to get below the pad level of the defender? That’s right, I said pad level. :)

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be a disaster. I love that the rule has passed and it's still being developed.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like some people think it is going to be the NBA "Charge" rule of the NFL. But the Owners don't appear as worried about it based on video evidence of how the rule was applied.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're trying to kill their own sport the way NASCAR did...

NASCAR can't even get a full field of cars anymore, but they can't help but keep making things worse. I'm now a former fan...

The NFL is travelling down the same PC, let's cater to millenials and women path...

They're killing the sport.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're trying to kill their own sport the way NASCAR did...

NASCAR can't even get a full field of cars anymore, but they can't help but keep making things worse. I'm now a former fan...

The NFL is travelling down the same PC, let's cater to millenials and women path...

They're killing the sport.

NASCAR lost me when they started the whole "chase" nonsense in response to Matt Kenseth becoming a champion without winning a single race. Never mind the fact that he broke the record for top 5 AND top 3 finishes that year. I bet they wouldn't have been so appalled if it was their boy Dale Jr.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, this "rule" is going to replace the "catch rule" as the center of the debate week-in and week-out. Short of telling these guys to "keep your damn head up", I don't see how they can enforce it evenly. Some Vikings fan is always going to catch Matthews tackling with his head down at one point or another during the course of a play.

I still think that each year, EVERY NFL player should be required to sign an injury waiver that categorically states that the player is aware that now, or in the future, injuries could manifest themselves in a manner not yet known or understood. They're aware they will probably get hurt playing this contact sport for HUGE dollars and they agree that they are trading their long term health for big bucks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it almost doesn't even seem like a targeting rule. I thought maybe it was going to be something that'd look into ejections if players like Trevathan or Davis did what they did last year to Davante. That I think is pretty clear cut and dry here.

This new interpretation though that could affect how runningbacks take off or how runners who are no longer defenseless players go at it to me is just going to have the same impact as these other safety rules which have done nothing to minimize injuries but arguably have just added more.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea if it, Helmets are a safety feature and not to be used as a weapon. But what's more important than the intent is the way it's written.

I wish there were stricter penalties for the player personally too with a big fine coming out of their paycheck too.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players who use their helmets as weapons and cause a player to miss games with a concussion should be suspended for that same number of games without pay.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly one reason they're doing this is because parents aren't wanting their kids to get into football, because of the potential for brain injury. So they don't want their pool of athletes to decrease.

My concern is that this rule puts more control into the hands of the referees, and they may effect the outcome of games more. Like if it's one of those things where they can call it on the majority of plays.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The league has gone soft and the players for the most part hate it. It gives more power to the reffs to decide games and slow up the flow of the game. There are sports out there way more violent and dangerous then the NFL.

Mine as well take Ronnie Lott and others out of the Hall of Fame. At this rate its gonna turn into "belly bumping".

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
surprised there is no thread on this yet. What are people’s thoughts?

I don’t like the broad strokes of the any lowering of the helmet. So no qb sneaks? Runners can no longer attempt to get below the pad level of the defender? That’s right, I said pad level. :)

I'll take a wait and see approach. I'm not convinced the sky is falling just yet.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good rule in my book. Thomas Davis took davantae Adams out of an important game with a balantantly targeted hit to the head. Then the player who replaced Adams fumbled on like the Carolina 24 yard line to seal the defeat. Now maybe Davis thinks twice before he does that and is at least kicked out of the game for it

H

HardRightEdge

It's about the money:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...oncussion-settlement-system-broken/ar-AAvly6F

I can't see how this rule would look in the run game within a few yards of the line of scrimage. Good form runners get low before contact; good form tacklers get low. In short yardage runs everybody along the line gets low. In the split seconds helmets collide. The rule applies to both defense and offense and is a blanket dictum over the entire field in every situation with every player.

If the league means to eliminate these forms of contact they might as well complement and reinforce this rule by saying nobody can play with a hand in the dirt. Everybody along the line must play head up. Then it will be incumbent on lead blockers and runners to play high and not drill defenders in the chest with the helmet or they draw the flag.

We've seen major changes to rules in the last 40 years: offensive linemen allowed to block with extended arms and with their hands, the chuck rule and QB protections, slanted toward the offense, that changed the face of the game from run-first to pass-first. Those changes would appear incremental compared to a change that penalized helmet contact at the line of scrimage.

The kinds of players required to execute in line with these rules changes entirely. And with everybody playing high, expect leg injuries to go up.

Members online

Latest posts