Nelson signs with Da Raiders

If Jordy signs with the Raiders, should GB go after Crabtree?

• Yes

• No

• Draft another WR

• Focus on defense

Results are only viewable after voting.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re right you’re right. We shouldn’t care.
Jordy being only 1 of 4 current players out of over 40 widereceivers that both make at least 5M/year+ and that landed at least 87% guaranteed contract $ or more.
Btw. ALL are young guys.
Amari Cooper 100%
Corey Davis 100%
Jarvis Landry 100%...
Jordy Nelson!! 87%

John Ross 100%
Devante Parker 100%
OBJr 100%
Corey Coleman 100%

All of them are young guys. 25,24,23,34,..
22, 25,25,23...
Anyone else see a pattern here??

Matter of fact not one receiver over the age of 30 has a guarantee comparable contract anywhere close to 87% or above Jordy Nelson. Not even 1

Larry Fitzgerald ZERO guaranteed

That shouldn’t bother me tho.. it’s just business as normal. Anyone remember Sesame Street? Pick out the one that doesn’t fit?? :whistling:

I pray I’m the only one that recognizes this. I really hope I’m wrong and this was just a fluke

All it means is that the Raiders made a really bad deal.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland must have had a bunch of cap money to light on fire. How is letting an older guy with injury issues/lost a step .... GO EARLY.... so he can find somebody willing to give him another big payday BAD for the Packers reputation???

Jordy was a fan favorite.... Jordy was a good guy.... Jordy and Rodgers have great HISTORY...

Jordy is also old, slower, gonna cost Green Bay a BUNCH... and there are conflicting reports as to his willingness to take a paycut

Anyone actually know if a paycut was talked about by either party? Anyone actually know how much Green Bay actually offered him? Anyone know how Mike McCarthy truly feels about what role Jordy would have next year?

You know who releases veterans all the time when they feel they’re no longer worth their contract? ... SMART organizations. Know who keeps a guy past his expiration date out of a sense of loyalty? Virtually no one.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the move when it happened, and I'm less of a fan of it now. He took a significant pay cut to play for someone else. Clearly he was willing to play for less, so that just shows the Packers disrespected him.

Feelings aside, he's still one of the better receivers in the league. He has never had an unproductive season with Rodgers. Last time they played together, he led the league in touchdowns. Last time we were without Jordy for a year, people though Rodgers lost a step because of how bad the offense was. Rodgers and Nelson were a special combination you don't get often in this league, AND Nelson was willing to play for less money, and they still cut him.

For me, personally, this is a sad week to be a Packers fan.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland must have had a bunch of cap money to light on fire. How is letting an older guy with injury issues/lost a step .... GO EARLY.... so he can find somebody willing to give him another big payday BAD for the Packers reputation???

Jordy was a fan favorite.... Jordy was a good guy.... Jordy and Rodgers have great HISTORY...

Jordy is also old, slower, gonna cost Green Bay a BUNCH... and there are conflicting reports as to his willingness to take a paycut

Anyone actually know if a paycut was talked about by either party? Anyone actually know how much Green Bay actually offered him? Anyone know how Mike McCarthy truly feels about what role Jordy would have next year?

You know who releases veterans all the time when they feel they’re no longer worth their contract? ... SMART organizations. Know who keeps a guy past his expiration date out of a sense of loyalty? Virtually no one.
Because he didn't go snag a huge payday. He took a pay cut to play for someone else. All that shows is the Packers weren't even willing to work with him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to know why the Packers cut ties with Jordy. Maybe they saw something and it wasn't just Brett Hundley at QB that caused Jordy to drop off the edge of the mountain?

One thing I am pretty certain of though, if the Packer organization thought that Jordy was capable of putting up numbers like he has in the past, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So as hard as it is to see Jordy go, I have to believe the Packers didn't cut an all around nice guy and fan favorite for any other reason than it made good business sense.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to know why the Packers cut ties with Jordy. Maybe they saw something and it wasn't just Brett Hundley at QB that caused Jordy to drop off the edge of the mountain?

One thing I am pretty certain of though, if the Packer organization thought that Jordy was capable of putting up numbers like he has in the past, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So as hard as it is to see Jordy go, I have to believe the Packers didn't cut an all around nice guy and fan favorite for any other reason than it make good business sense.
I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a new GM trying to assert himself. If we win a SB the year after he cuts one of the most fan-favored (and still talented) players in the past decade, he will be the genius GM of the foreseeable future.

If, on the other hand, the Packers fail to make the playoffs because of a struggling offense, and Rodgers remains frustrated in the organization, he could be one and done.

Either way, not just the move, but the way they went about it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a new GM trying to assert himself. If we win a SB the year after he cuts one of the most fan-favored (and still talented) players in the past decade, he will be the genius GM of the foreseeable future.

If, on the other hand, the Packers fail to make the playoffs because of a struggling offense, and Rodgers remains frustrated in the organization, he could be one and done.

Either way, not just the move, but the way they went about it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I know what you are saying, but I see that kind of move with what Gute did with Randall. Cutting a guy that TT drafted as a semi project, but rubbed too many people the wrong way.

I don't think a new GM is going to try to assert his dominance by cutting possibly the most loved guy on the team. I would actually view it as probably one of the toughest moves Gute may have had to make to date, at least from a psychological standpoint.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys. Let's be honest here.

Jordy is old. Jordy can't run well anymore. Jordy catches the ball and drops. Even his hands weren't very good last year! I love Jordy, one of my favorite players of all time, but he just wasn't there anymore.

Let's also realize Jordy is only a slot WR at this point. He can't really play the X or Z spot well, and does ok at the Y. Well...we have Cobb (younger, quicker, more capable), and now we have Graham there. So where would Jordy have fit?! I wouldn't have even paid Jordy $7.5M like the Raiders are, that's too much. And I know that Jordy did well when Rodgers was healthy, but that was more because of Rodgers than Jordy. We can, and should do better than what Jordy is right now.

I would bet decent money that the Packers went to Jordy and said, "Look, here's how much we can pay you and still do what we need to to in FA. You can take it, or we're going to release you." Obviously that sucks, because Jordy has been great for us, but it was the right move! I think the Packers had to choose between Cobb and Jordy, and they chose well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have expected Greg Jennings' sister to tweet out the news...

I don't think that Jordy is worth the $7.5M to the Packers. He might be to the Raiders. As for WR need, Jeronimo Allison is set to take a starting role and the coaching staff seemed excited about Michael Clark. Everyone thought that the sky was falling when Sterling Sharpe was forced into retirement. What we found was that there were a lot of good young WRs that had just never gotten much of a chance. I have a feeling that we might see something similar in 2018.

My guess is that Gutekunst will pick up a reasonably priced WR in the second wave of FA and then draft one in the second or third round, likely in a BPA scenario.

The cupboard isn't bare.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you... but the biggest thing I will say that is different from your comparison... is that Favre was famous for throwing the ball to pretty much everybody (including the other team lol) while Rodgers will only throw it to those that he trusts.... He definitely trusted Neslon.

Reaction score
As Poker said. We’re not privy to what was negotiated. We probably never will because he’d be smart not to burn bridges.

That said...
One thing I love about the Financial industry (my field for the last 16yrs) is that numbers don’t lie. Coupled with limited research they tell a pretty accurate story.
I don’t normally focus much on all the players and contracts that happen one by one. That would be extremely time consuming even though I enjoy it to a degree.
This case is different because it’s a prolific player for a team I love meets brand new GM.

This transaction spoke volumes to me. For me personally it’s not as much about the outcome of retaining Jordy or letting him go (as many of you seem to be hell bent on defending that position) as it is learning the business style of our new GM.
I liked Jordy but I also understand the need to move on from a player. That’s not unusual it happens all year long.

What surprised me a little is some of the same fans I saw cheering Jordy on just months ago turn him off like he doesn’t exist anymore. Or even further they try to mitigate his worth beyond reproach. Maybe that’s a Defense mechanism to protect themselves? Or maybe they are just cold personalities I’m not a licensed psychologist they’ll have to figure that out.
I think people are cold online and will say things they would never say to someone’s face and they forget these are real people we’re talking about. They have wives and kids and relatives in the area. Would they feel the same way if it wasn’t their brother or son? Would they say some of these sentiments face to face with their family?? I bet they wouldn’t have the guts. Just my opinion
I like Jordy and Ill continue rooting for him even if he plays for the Patriots (FYI I don’t like the Patriots)I’ll defend him until he somehow proves me wrong or does something horrible. Then I’ll probably forgive him and defend him again.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I felt the same way about James Jones. Didn't matter who he played for, one of my favorite Packers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain to me how setting the tone for high guaranteed money is beneficial?
it's why the Pats don't sign a lot of long term contracts... their roster is a revolving door... but they always seem to find guys that are willing to come in for a year or two because they want to win now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I just don't think this is that big of a shocker like some are making it. Many of us saw this coming and were prepared for it or at least the possibility. Devante signed his extension and then Gute declared the Packers were going to be aggresive in free agency. Well Gute delivered on his promise and the $ had to come from somewhere. We had a bunch of $ tied up at WR and the rest is history with the oldest and least effective having to fall on the sword.

This isn't rocket science and i havent seen or heard anyone be disrespectful regarding Jordy. Gute made the tough but right move here and the rest is history. This is what we have needed at the GM spot for quite some time. Its rather relieving.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of James Jones, people have been wondering what the negotiations between the Packers and Nelson looked like.

“I’m not going to say what they offered him, but they really, really low-balled him,” said Jones, who now works for NFL Network. “It wasn’t even anything you would consider. Even with all that, he was still considering taking it.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/15/james-jones-says-packers-low-balled-wr-jordy-nelson/

Weren't reports that the Packers offered 2 to 3 million? That is much lower than what Jordy got. I feel like the Raiders overpaid and the Packers low-balled. I would have guessed 4-5 million with incentives

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Weren't reports that the Packers offered 2 to 3 million? That is much lower than what Jordy got. I feel like the Raiders overpaid and the Packers low-balled. I would have guessed 4-5 million with incentives

Guessing you are pretty close. That was one situation where an incentive based contract could have been beneficial to both sides. Jordy stays with the Packers and gets paid what he earns, oh well.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone here still in denial about Jordy? Everyone saying he was going to retire or comeback. Looks like you're finally in acceptance.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers needed to get younger and more explosive at wr. We already had basically 3 possession wrs starting. One had to go....I was in favor of keeping Cobb because he’s younger and can do more. My guess now is they go after Pryor and try to get him on a 1-2 yr deal and address corner via the draft.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers needed to get younger and more explosive at wr. We already had basically 3 possession wrs starting. One had to go....I was in favor of keeping Cobb because he’s younger and can do more. My guess now is they go after Pryor and try to get him on a 1-2 yr deal and address corner via the draft.
I'd look at Pryor for sure. He was trash last season, but I'd roll the dice. A lot of skills there.

Members online

Latest posts