Need ruling on NFL FG attempts

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On saturday in the colts vs ravens game vinitiari kicked that 51 yarder that hit the bottom crossbar and bounced in. Me and my friends were discussing this scenario and we want definitve NFL ruling. Before the kick you have someone who is tall 6'3 & up and could jump 38" and up in the endzone. The kick is like the vinitiari one is it legal to have that player jump and knock the ball down right before it reaches the goalpost. I know you can't go out of bounds before you jump or it's a penalty but other than that I need and NFL ruling on this.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much.

Wow........i never even THOUGHT of that. Why SHOULDN'T you be able to! The ball is in the field of play.
Maybe someone can find a ruling on that. You'd think that if it WAS legal, why wouldn't all teams put a tall guy back there on ALL long FG's. Then let him jump and try to knock it down. At the worst, it might bring a penalty of 5 yards, and if it makes a guy kick it again, why not go for the block at the goalposts?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If you're still in bounds I can't see why not. It'd be a rare time that the person would actually time the leap perfect enough to block it.

:shrug:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it is NOT legal. I heard a discussion on it when Hester ran back the 108 yard field goal. I think that the rule was changed in the 80's or something like that.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting question.

I found the following :

n the Official NFL Rule Book. Rule 12 Section 3 Article 1 (o) states:

Goal tending by any player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goal post is prohibited. The referee could award 3 points for a palpably unfair act.

Link

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Interesting question.

I found the following :

n the Official NFL Rule Book. Rule 12 Section 3 Article 1 (o) states:

Goal tending by any player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goal post is prohibited. The referee could award 3 points for a palpably unfair act.

Link

It is legal......they used to do it before they moved the posts back

So much for that theory.

Good question, I really didn't think it was against the rules to jump an block it.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This actually used to be legal in rugby but teams usta take two guys and hoist a third man into the air like u would at a lineout to block low kicks creeping over the crossbar. They eventually brought in a rule change to ban it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This actually used to be legal in rugby but teams usta take two guys and hoist a third man into the air like u would at a lineout to block low kicks creeping over the crossbar. They eventually brought in a rule change to ban it.

haha thats awesome ... 'CHUCK THE MIDGET!'

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:

NOT politically correct Zero!!!
It SHOULD say "Charles the little person!" :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

Got me there

haha thats awesome ... 'CHUCK THE VERTICALLY CHALLENGED!'

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule was created after a guy actually blocked a field goal at the crossbar. I'm thinking this happened around 1970, and that the guy's name was something like R.C. Haynes and he played for the Baltimore Colts. But I just did some google searches and couldn't come up with anything. I read about this in a book I had about pro football when I was a kid.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

Is it political correct to say "little person ****" instead of "midget ****"? Does this mean Philtration has to chuck half of his collection?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

Is it political correct to say "little person ****" instead of "midget ****"? Does this mean Philtration has to chuck half of his collection?

No, it means Philtration has to charles half of his collection.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
trippster said:
cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

No, it means Philtration has to charles half of his collection.

Only half?? you sure bout that???

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember seeing it done by a Kansas City Chief back in the 70's.

You can't run up to the line of scrimmage attempting to block it. You cannot use any player as a launching pad by jumping on/from them.

Really the only way to do it is traditional pressure up the middle.

Didn't Cole have one recently?