Neal Pick haters Read

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have drafted Neal in the third or fourth round of the draft.. Most mock drafts had him going 5th or 6th round.. I wouldnt have minded the pick later on in the draft, but there were numerous players that could have helped our team at that spot when we could have gotten the pick we did later on.. We wouldnt have had to give up our 4th for Burnette and picked him in the 2nd, and picked neal in the third or fourth and still had an extra guy. IMO.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have drafted Neal in the third or fourth round of the draft.. Most mock drafts had him going 5th or 6th round.. I wouldnt have minded the pick later on in the draft, but there were numerous players that could have helped our team at that spot when we could have gotten the pick we did later on.. We wouldnt have had to give up our 4th for Burnette and picked him in the 2nd, and picked neal in the third or fourth and still had an extra guy. IMO.

People said the same thing about Nick Collins when we took him in Round 2. They said TT way overreached for him and how stupid it was. I think it has turned out well for overreaching for Collins. Fact is we never really know when someone is gonna be drafted. Did anyone think Jimmy Clausen was gonna fall to where he fell, or that Tyson Alualu was going to be drafted so high? We hear what we hear from the network analysts and take that to heart, when in the war rooms they have a whole different draft board. Neal may have been gone in the 3rd Round and we would have had so settle for someone else. I'm not saying Neal is going to be a great player or anything, but I give TT the benefit of the doubt. He has proven in the past that he's a great evaluator of talent. If he found it too risky to wait to take Neal because he had him that high on his board and liked him that much, then I trust his decision to take him in the 2nd Round.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People said the same thing about Nick Collins when we took him in Round 2. They said TT way overreached for him and how stupid it was. I think it has turned out well for overreaching for Collins. Fact is we never really know when someone is gonna be drafted. Did anyone think Jimmy Clausen was gonna fall to where he fell, or that Tyson Alualu was going to be drafted so high? We hear what we hear from the network analysts and take that to heart, when in the war rooms they have a whole different draft board. Neal may have been gone in the 3rd Round and we would have had so settle for someone else. I'm not saying Neal is going to be a great player or anything, but I give TT the benefit of the doubt. He has proven in the past that he's a great evaluator of talent. If he found it too risky to wait to take Neal because he had him that high on his board and liked him that much, then I trust his decision to take him in the 2nd Round.

He was really great at evaluating Justin Harrell's talent..

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well you can cherry pick all the busts you want. Point is, an overall analysis of his picks is extremely positive. Even the great Ron Wolf had busts. Every GM has busts and isn't going to make perfect picks 100% of the time. The part that matters is hitting on enough of your picks. In my estimation TT has done that. By your logic, if you think TT is a horrible evaluator of talent, then you must hate his evaluations of Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Ryan Grant... It's not about being perfect with their selections, it's about hitting on enough of them to have a successful team.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, gotta love the cherry pickers. I don't get why people expect 100% perfection out of every draft pick. Sure, I'd love for every pick we make to be a future hall of famer, but that's just not gonna happen. If we can get decent production out of half the guys we select each and ever year, we're doing pretty damn good.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM is very right on this one, we may never know how the board stacks up when it comes to individual GMs. The fact is that we can only go with what mock drafts and NFL network boards give us, and we all know that they're wrong. Besides Neal, everyone is also bashing TT for not trading down into the 1st round round and picking up Bulaga a few slots farther down while getting an extra pick. But that is absolutely ludicrous because even two slots down you might not know if Bulaga would still have been there. Yes Jerry Jones picked Dez Bryant, but doesn't anyone realize that hey may have done that since Bulaga was off the board? LT was and still is the Cowboys' biggest need and I bet that if we didn't snatch up a sliding top-5 tackle in the draft, Jerry would've.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Did you read the article?

It is a SOLID argument...

I seen one projection of Neal being a 2nd rounder

Oppps

2 actually

Mike Neal Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect
Neal was again impressive during Senior Bowl week, showing his quickness off the ball during practices. He tallied 1 tackle and 0.5 tackles for loss during the game, and continues to be a late second or early third round prospect.
Want another?

Cowboys Potential Draft Picks: Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue | Dallas Cowboys Times

Neal’s versatility, athleticism, and Senior Bowl performance have raised his stock. Originally a mid-to-late round prospect, Neal could go as high as the late second round, particularly if he runs a 4.8 this weekend. With that speed at over 300 pounds, at least one team would take a risk in round two.

But lets only use the "cherry picked ones" to justify your side okay?

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Tyson AluAlu went +10 overall, I dont think Mike neal was as big of a reach as him. And you have to credit TT got burnett and wilson & newhouse later than they were projected.

OP
OP
olwig420

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How do you know he would have lasted another round? Because some ESPN annalist said so? What if TT knew there were two other teams that wanted him? It only takes one. Obviously we saw something in him we really liked and did not want to see him go to a different team. Between picks 3 and 25 in the second round 7 of them were DT/DE. They were coming off the board fast, 1 in every 3.14. And like LONGTIMEFAN has said he has found two articles that said Neal was a late 2 round pick.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, from what I have read about Neal he has size, speed and strength. He should compete for the starting DE spot.

Besides, looking at this draft, there were players picked in rounds before and after all the gurus had them.

I would have liked a CB pick somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round, but there was a run and passing on Bulaga for one of the CB's left would have been stupid considering the age of our two starters.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here'sa question that I have. I know that we have to keep the D-line fresh and well rested, but why do we have to do that so much with our team in particular? There are so many other teams that run a 3-4 yet our D-line seems like the only one that keeps needing a breather.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here'sa question that I have. I know that we have to keep the D-line fresh and well rested, but why do we have to do that so much with our team in particular? There are so many other teams that run a 3-4 yet our D-line seems like the only one that keeps needing a breather.

I'm not quite sure as to what other teams you are referring to but look at almost all of the 3-4 teams and you will see that they have plenty of fresh bodies to bring in when the starters get tired.

And for an example of a 3-4 team that didn't do this, the SD chargers, once they lost Jamal Williams to injury, they didn't have the depth they needed along their defensive live and therefore everyone got tired and their defense suffered tremendously!

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claybillings is right. But you also have to consider packages. You might have a couple of DL who really shine against the run and a couple that can collapse the pocket and rush the pass better. So you typically would run the first group on first and second down while using the second group on third down (or whatever downs the opponent passes on based on their tendencies in film). Either way the 3-4 Dline gets hardly any stats and hardly any love, but they are very important.

Besides, if Neal can command a double-team every time he lines up, just like Pickett usually does, that is 4 offensive lineman blocking 2 defensive lineman when they play the same down. The math works out well in our favor.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell could have been a great player. TT can't tell the future to see a player is going to be injured constantly.

Well when the guy didnt even play his last year of college because of injury, its a pretty easy evaluation that he could be injury prone being that he was in college..

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claybillings is right. But you also have to consider packages. You might have a couple of DL who really shine against the run and a couple that can collapse the pocket and rush the pass better. So you typically would run the first group on first and second down while using the second group on third down (or whatever downs the opponent passes on based on their tendencies in film). Either way the 3-4 Dline gets hardly any stats and hardly any love, but they are very important.

Besides, if Neal can command a double-team every time he lines up, just like Pickett usually does, that is 4 offensive lineman blocking 2 defensive lineman when they play the same down. The math works out well in our favor.

Just because Neal commanded double teams at Purdue in college, doesnt mean that he is going to command a double team at the pro level. I hope he pans out, and I think he could turn out to be a real solid pick, I just feel we could have gotten him later than we did.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure as to what other teams you are referring to but look at almost all of the 3-4 teams and you will see that they have plenty of fresh bodies to bring in when the starters get tired.

And for an example of a 3-4 team that didn't do this, the SD chargers, once they lost Jamal Williams to injury, they didn't have the depth they needed along their defensive live and therefore everyone got tired and their defense suffered tremendously!

I've watched a lot of Giants v. Cowboys games and Spears, Canty and Ratliff played all 4 quarters. I'm not saying they're the best 3-4 team in the world but their line never seems to wear out. I'm not familiar with every 3-4 team out there but I definitely understand the SD example. Either way I'm glad we have the depth anyways.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read today in the paper that Neal can benchpress over 500 pounds, and his father (fireman) can do more. Means jack squat on the football field but I thought it was cool.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, gotta love the cherry pickers. I don't get why people expect 100% perfection out of every draft pick. Sure, I'd love for every pick we make to be a future hall of famer, but that's just not gonna happen. If we can get decent production out of half the guys we select each and ever year, we're doing pretty damn good.
When it came to Justin Harrell being drafted by the Packers in the first round.........it was well documented by everyone and their mothers that he had a history of injuries. This may be my opinion......but you don't use a number one draft pick on a guy with a history of injuries. If he was injured a lot at the college level, how can we expect him to pan out at the next level? Brohm is another example of a high draft pick going to waste. If we draft a guy in the second round and he is cut a year later.........SOMEONE......was not doing their homework. If you want to draft someone with some question marks on them...........save it for the later rounds.

With that being said, I totally understand drafting Neal in the second round because Jenkins or Jolly might be gone after this year. I think alot of people here didn't like the Neal pick because they wanted a CB or a OLB, which is a more pressing need to most.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it came to Justin Harrell being drafted by the Packers in the first round.........it was well documented by everyone and their mothers that he had a history of injuries. This may be my opinion......but you don't use a number one draft pick on a guy with a history of injuries. If he was injured a lot at the college level, how can we expect him to pan out at the next level? Brohm is another example of a high draft pick going to waste. If we draft a guy in the second round and he is cut a year later.........SOMEONE......was not doing their homework. If you want to draft someone with some question marks on them...........save it for the later rounds.

With that being said, I totally understand drafting Neal in the second round because Jenkins or Jolly might be gone after this year. I think alot of people here didn't like the Neal pick because they wanted a CB or a OLB, which is a more pressing need to most.
I've maid that injury history point myself...

But he didn't have any back injury prior to coming to GB...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Justin harrell is a HUGE BUST, he DID have injury concerns, and he WASN'T first round material. I remember when it happend, I was yelling at my TV and thinking TT must be the biggest idiot in the world Heres a list of first round guys from that year that went after harrell. Harrell got picked right after L.Timmons and D.Revis, could you imagine if we would have got one of those guys instead, or anyof these guys:

rnd 1 after harrell:
Leon Hall
Michael Griffin
Brandon Meriwether
Jon Beason
Joe Staley
Ben Grubbs
Greg Olsen
anyof those guys would be starters right now, Harrell hurts himself and collects checks.

Members online

Latest posts