Nance waits his turn

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers' Nance awaits his turn - JSOnline

Green Bay ? Green Bay Packers running back Dimitri Nance was about a foot or two from making a big name for himself Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

Nance, getting his first dose of snaps from scrimmage since early in the season, came out of the backfield as a receiver on an early first-and-10 play at the Vikings 12. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers' screen pass, however, was snatched out of the air by defensive end Jared Allen.

Had Nance caught the ball, it would have been hard to keep him out of the end zone with the blockers he had in front of him and the determination he had to establish himself as a worthy option for the Packers.

"That's how it felt on the field," Nance said of a possible touchdown. "Then I went back and took a look at it on film and I thought maybe I could have scored. I thought I could do a pretty job with it."

Rather than pound Nance between the tackles, which is the 5-foot-10, 219-pound back's strength, the coaching staff devised some plays for him in the passing game. On back-to-back plays in the second quarter, Nance motioned out of the backfield to receiver positions.

He didn't get the ball on either play, but the Packers feel he's more than just a decoy.

"He has excellent hands," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "He has good instincts. You're talking about a guy with quick feet, good balance, good change of direction. He has the attributes you want in a runner.

"But the first time he came out on the practice field, the first thing you could tell is that the kid has good hands."

Nance, who was signed off Atlanta's practice squad after Ryan Grant was lost for the season, hadn't been in the mix much in the backfield the past month. The coaches wanted to establish Brandon Jackson as the lead runner and the move has paid off over the past three weeks.

The task ahead is to balance the number of snaps Jackson gets on running downs with the ones he gets as the third-down back. Jackson is such a good blocker, and an improving receiver, that they hate to take him

off the field.

Nance may get a few carries in the weeks ahead provided he has all the plays down. It's been a process for him to transfer from Atlanta's system to Green Bay's and to date the most the coaches have given him is a small package of plays.

He said he's ready for the full volume.

"I'm pretty much comfortable," Nance said. "Every week they've been saying I'm going to get a chance, but the games have been so close I really never got a chance to go in so I'm just continuing to practice hard and stay with it. When my name is called I'll be prepared and hopefully be able to do what they want me to do."

I said it before, he doesnt have the playbook down yet...And one bolded part confirms what I said

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy has been on the roster seven weeks. It might be time to learn the playbook.

Question: Does Nance make the team next year with a healthy Ryan Grant and competition from James Starks?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heres the thing, if you read it they say that they dont want to take Jackson off the field...

The coaches have given him only a handful of plays and Nance says he is ready for all of it.

Grant took EIGHT weeks to get carries............Traded on Sept 1st of 07 1st real action was on 10-29

Nance was traded to the Packers on Sept 14th, so this is his 7th week...Dallas week would be his 8th week

But he must suck cuz he is taking "This long"

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jennings we know your not happy, and thats fine...But maybe take the hater-ade glasses off for a minute and look at the entire situation...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are waiting for either a good sized lead or a blowout loss to start getting Nance a few more reps. The last thing you want to do is put a guy in who's not ready with the game on the line.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree there is something odd for him to not even get a couple touches by now..

But who knows now with him being hurt

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was in on the screen play last week that ended up being an interception.
That was the only down he played right?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres the thing, if you read it they say that they dont want to take Jackson off the field...

The coaches have given him only a handful of plays and Nance says he is ready for all of it.

Grant took EIGHT weeks to get carries............Traded on Sept 1st of 07 1st real action was on 10-29

Nance was traded to the Packers on Sept 14th, so this is his 7th week...Dallas week would be his 8th week

But he must suck cuz he is taking "This long"

I never said he sucked. I'm just waiting to see the guy play. It's Week 8 and he's been on the roster for 7 weeks. It's time.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I was going to start another thread, but thought this one might serve the purpose. The past couple of games it seems that neither Starks or Jackson can get the job done. Why isn't Nance being utilized. Would you folks rather see Starks or Nance get more touches?

For context, it looks to me like Starks and Jackson are both "put your head down and run into the pile" runners. Nance appeared to me to have more field vision. What's up with his playing time?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I was going to start another thread, but thought this one might serve the purpose. The past couple of games it seems that neither Starks or Jackson can get the job done. Why isn't Nance being utilized. Would you folks rather see Starks or Nance get more touches?

For context, it looks to me like Starks and Jackson are both "put your head down and run into the pile" runners. Nance appeared to me to have more field vision. What's up with his playing time?

I thought Starks had some ok runs in the Bears game. Nothing great, and definitely lower than average, but it was a tough defense to run on.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think Starks has shown more than Nance. Nance though would be a nice replacement for Jackson if he could get his blocks down better. Starks would hopefully be the grant replacement.

Fundamentals

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's been Kuhn territory the past couple of weeks. Take the Fan favorite back over the Unproven Goal Line back in the playoffs