My thoughts on a new Packers uniform

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

b
The more changes they make, subtle or not, the more Jerseys and other gear that they sell. Anyone notice that the NFL changes the Team Baseball hats and winter hats every fricking year? Then they have the pink gear and the camo gear.

It's all about marketing and the almighty dollar....and just be reading this thread, most of us (including me) are buying (into) it.

All the big English football teams do this. Manchester United being the worst I`ve seen. West Bromwich Albion are very clever. They never differ from the classic Dark Blue/White striped shirt, but they change the colour every year, still putting pressure on parents to buy new kits every year for the kids.

I

Most teams wear dark at home, but the Cowboys usually wear white, unless they've changed it in just the last few years. The Dolphins also used to wear white at home, I don't know if they still do. I think a few other teams in the south would also choose to wear white at home, depending on the temperature.

Don`t the Cardinals do that deliberately because the visitors have to wear darker colours which attract the heat ? I`m sure I read that years ago somewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don`t the Cardinals do that deliberately because the visitors have to wear darker colours which attract the heat ? I`m sure I read that years ago somewhere.

Yup. When the Cardinals moved to Arizona (from St. Louis) in 1988 they played all games outdoors at Sun Devil Stadium. So due to the Arizona heat, the team used to wear their white jersey and pants at home games, forcing their opponent to wear their dark jerseys. This practice was discontinued in 2006, after they moved into their new air conditioned "Cardinals Stadium", which in 2018 went the way of Corporate America and is now named "State Farm Stadium".

D

Deleted member 6794

Does the NFL even require the color rush uniforms anymore? I know they used to require them on Thursdays, but that didn't seem to be the case this season.

The NFL discontinued the color rush program in 2018 but most teams have continued to wear such uniforms for at least a game per season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about marketing and the almighty dollar....and just be reading this thread, most of us (including me) are buying (into) it.

b

All the big English football teams do this. Manchester United being the worst I`ve seen. West Bromwich Albion are very clever. They never differ from the classic Dark Blue/White striped shirt, but they change the colour every year, still putting pressure on parents to buy new kits every year for the kids.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Teams management should keep things fresh and fans interested.

And nobody is forcing fans to buy them. I like certain kits which I buy and not others which I don't. I don't think any fan either in soccer or NFL has every kit ever released by his team. Even if there are some they'll be a minority.

Having same kit year on year is boring and gets dated fast.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like the all-whites. the uni has changed a lot over the years. the current version is the best so far. does anyone think the green has gotten a tad lighter compared to 20+ years ago?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this. Teams management should keep things fresh and fans interested.

I think fans were interested before all of this but yes, its a smart business move by the NFL to keep changing the merchandise, so that fans keep buying it.

In a way it reminds me of the Professors that I had in college, they would release a "new edition" of their text book every so often. That way students would have to pay $120 for the new edition, they would get royalties on the sales and meanwhile, the "old" text books, that you used to be able to buy used for $40, were scrapped.

I

And nobody is forcing fans to buy them. I like certain kits which I buy and not others which I don't. I don't think any fan either in soccer or NFL has every kit ever released by his team. Even if there are some they'll be a minority.

Having same kit year on year is boring and gets dated fast.

I agree in principle with your comment but as I said when a man struggles to give his children his favorite teams shirt but can`t afford to, that is hard to swallow. JMHO

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought that NFL shirts have been a bit on the bland side, mainly due to the fact that the main body is just a plain colour(yes that's the correct spelling:D) apart from the main numbers front and back. i think that it's more that i'm used to football strips having some kind of patterning to them. one thing i liked when i was younger was that most "home" strips used to be the same for two years, unless we had a change of sponsor. nowadays though they seem to be changed on an annual basis, and to make it worse, manufacturers like Nike often use the same template for different teams, the last few years Man Utd and Spurs strips have been identical apart from the colours used. away strips haven't got the same restrictions on them like home kits, my team(the World famous Aberdeen) over the years have generally had white shirts as away strips, but sometimes the designers have had a bit too much acid at times to produce something like this
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As for GB's kits, i don't mind small changes to the sleeves and would probably like the logo there. i would like to see us use the inverted colours someone posted as our colour rush, the white while looking clean and crisp is a bit boring

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a few examples of a changing home kit

around late 80's to 1990 1994-1996 2000-2001 2016-2017

our full kit history can be found here http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Aberdeen/Aberdeen.htm

this is our current away kit

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Times like this I would like a "horrible" button. We would just start to blend in.
I've always liked those, actually. Not saying that I wish they would have used them, but if they do change them, I'd be cool with changing to something like that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a different note I HATE their alternate uniforms. The Yellow and Blue ones, especially with the yellow helmets. I think the brown helmets looked better tbh.
The throwback uniforms you refer to should be thrown out. Geez they are ugly.

I do like the all-white look and wouldn’t mind seeing that for half the games. I’ve always thought the helmet design, especially the “G”, could use an upgrade. But that’s one area where you definitely don’t mess with tradition!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like we should all agree to disagree. Personally, I can't stand the all white look. Makes them look to "clean and proper", like they are coming out to do laundry. :D

I guess I don't really have a favorite, but if I did, it would lean towards the traditional green home jerseys and Cheese Yellow (that isn't Gold) pants.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more changes they make, subtle or not, the more Jerseys and other gear that they sell. Anyone notice that the NFL changes the Team Baseball hats and winter hats every fricking year? Then they have the pink gear and the camo gear.

Great point. The Brewers redesigned their uniforms this year, so all that stuff I bought last year is out of date. Not that I care enough to spend more.....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not that I care enough to spend more.....

Yup me either, but like so many things, others do and they will try to keep up with the latest "fashion". My Prized Jersey is one from the 90's, in great shape, but looks "old school". It sports the number 92 and of course "White" on the back.....best $3.99 I have ever spent (thrift store).

I

I've always thought that NFL shirts have been a bit on the bland side, mainly due to the fact that the main body is just a plain colour(yes that's the correct spelling:D) apart from the main numbers front and back. i think that it's more that i'm used to football strips having some kind of patterning to them. one thing i liked when i was younger was that most "home" strips used to be the same for two years, unless we had a change of sponsor. nowadays though they seem to be changed on an annual basis, and to make it worse, manufacturers like Nike often use the same template for different teams, the last few years Man Utd and Spurs strips have been identical apart from the colours used. away strips haven't got the same restrictions on them like home kits, my team(the World famous Aberdeen) over the years have generally had white shirts as away strips, but sometimes the designers have had a bit too much acid at times to produce something like this

As for GB's kits, i don't mind small changes to the sleeves and would probably like the logo there. i would like to see us use the inverted colours someone posted as our colour rush, the white while looking clean and crisp is a bit boring

Aberdeen have a football team ?? Well who`d have guessed that :whistling:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup me either, but like so many things, others do and they will try to keep up with the latest "fashion". My Prized Jersey is one from the 90's, in great shape, but looks "old school". It sports the number 92 and of course "White" on the back.....best $3.99 I have ever spent (thrift store).
WOW! Great deal, I’m impressed PB!

Members online

Latest posts