My revised 53 player squad and 8 player Practice Squad

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point looking at the final cuts this is what I think the Packers should do.

QB
Favre
Nall
Rogers

RB
Green
Davenport
Fisher
Williams(PS) He is needed next year to replace Davenport

FB
Henderson
Luchey

C
Flanagan
Wells Also back up Guard

OG
Klemm
Whittaker
Ruegamer
Coston(PS) Might be Herrion

OT
Clifton
Tauscher
Barry
Bedell

WR
Driver
Walker
Ferguson
Chatman
Murphy
Thurman Tough call
Bragg(PS)

TE

Franks
Martin
Steele (Subject to FA aquisition)
McHugh (PS)

DE

KGB
Kampmann
Jenkins
Peterson
Truluck

DT

Jackson
Hunt
Cole
Williams
Lee
Montgomery (PS) Truluck may be kept instead of an LB
Washington (PS)

LB

Diggs
Barnett
Thompson
Navies
Manning
Lennon
Popinga (PS) Teams have seen Manning play

CB

Harris
Thomas
Carroll
Hawkins
Horton (PS)

S

Collins
Roman
Underwood
Little

ST
Longwell
B.J. Sander
Rob Davis

Tough choices but I went with more WR and LB and fewer DB because of superior talent at the positions.
Thurman, Truluck, Lee, Wahington, Manning, Horton are close calls.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DT

Jackson
Hunt

For some reason I don't think both of these men will be on the same field again in Packers uniform.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good except I think we need to keep at least another DB (probably Horton) and probably then only keep 5 WRs. Thurman would be a tough one to cut.

At linebacker, I think Navies is gone. I don't know if they would gamble and try to put Washington on the practice squad. Cole might be cut instead.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarterbacks (3) Brett Favre, Craig Nall, Aaron Rodgers.

Running backs (3) Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher.
(They will pick up a rookie off the wavier wire for the practice squad)

Fullbacks (2-3) William Henderson, Nick Luchey.

(If they go with 3 Vonta Leach is your man

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Manning will be on the roster for sure. I haven't heard a negative mark about the guy and yea I did catch that penalty in the Bills game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bruce's List is a little more towards the truth of it all.... no offense.

As far as Scott Wells is concerned - during the Bills game, he was set for Left Guard, not Center duties and Grey Ruegamer got the Center duties call. The thinking here appears to be that Scott Wells has the moxie to stuff guys on that side of the line better than just about anyone they've seen in several years... Let's just hope Grey has the stuff to be a good enuf replacement at Center - I'm still out with the jury on backup Center.

On Defense - Colin Cole is in, no matter what anyone says... He's a big man with a big heart for the game - He'll get in, or else Sherman doesn't deserve that 2 year extension. I would think that Bates has his preferred list already made... Also, while Paris Lenon is having a good pre-season, where is the guy during the regular seasons... it's like he quits after the Roster is set and things just stagnate after that...

DE Mike Montgomery, DT Donnell Washington, and DE Kenny Peterson all get in somehow.... I figure Donnell comes back strong as the real season gets under way.. just a confidence problem.

Ray Thompson, Brady Poppinga, and Roy Manning will be here to stay - my thoughts are that these guys could be an instant starting row pending injuries which "will" occur. Thompson & Manning are on par and Poppinga is slightly injured at this point making it hard to let him stay anywhere (at this point) except the PS (for now).

Also - I would put Earl Little above Mark Roman - no matter what you think, I see Roman backing off his intensity once the Season starts... call it a gut feeling.... So, I would start Nick Collins and Earl Little over all others....

As far as Grady Jackson is concerned.... He's done, roll him over and get both sides, but he's done. In fact, his career is over pending he plays when he wants to play because the blackmail tactic didn't work... I'll go look later, but isn't Pat Williams and the others he's mentioned as being his equals... all somewhat younger that this 32 year old dinosaur...? If it were me (being TT).. I'd go give Gilbert Brown a call "immediately".. and make sure our Defense is solidified.

After that, let's just see what this Colin Cole guy is made of - what would he have to gain, about 40, may fifty pounds, tops...if that, even...(???) Cole is a monster out there and you simply cannot keep him away from the ball. His build speaks of Nose Tackle positioning (to me). He's got big shoulders and thick legs, under a big trunk. I think he'd make a great Gilbert Brown like DT/Nose Tackle. It might be a year or two, but he could probably do it. If they let this guy get away.. you watch some other team do exactly what I've suggested. What's the size difference between Colin Cole and Norman Hand, (just out of College)?

Opinions...?

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horton and Johnson both looked good Saturday, alot better then the 6th WR looks IMHO. I would keep an extra CB instead of WR. I would keep 3 FB over 3 TE(Barry can be the 3rd TE) I have 4 new players on offense(Rogers, Klemm, Whittaker, & Murphy) I have 6 new players on D (Thompson, Manning, Hawkins, Collins, Underwood, & Little) that's almost 20% turnover from a playoff team. I think DE Mike Montgomery is a wild card.

QB (3/3)
Favre
Nall
Rogers

RB (3/6)
Green
Davenport
Fisher

FB (3/9)
Henderson
Luchey
Leach

C (2/11)
Flanagan
Ruegamer

OG (3/14)
Klemm
Whittaker
Wells

OT (4/18)
Clifton
Tauscher
Barry
Bedell

WR (5/23)
Driver
Walker
Ferguson
Chatman
Murphy

TE (2/25)
Franks
Martin

DE (4/29)
KGB
Kampmann
Jenkins
Truluck

DT (5/34)
Jackson
Hunt or Cole (maybe someon goes on IR?)
Williams
Lee
Washington

LB (6/40)
Diggs
Barnett
Thompson
Navies
Manning
Lennon

CB (6/46)
Harris
Thomas
Carroll
Hawkins
Horton
Johnson

S (4/50)
Collins
Roman
Underwood
Little

ST (3/53)
Longwell
B.J. Sander
Rob Davis

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that we come down to the same guys on the bubble.

On offense 3rd Fullback, 6th WR, 4th G. 25 or26 bodies total.

On defense, 24 or 25 bodies.

Chinese Menu pick 'em

A) DL bubble Lee, Truluck, Washington, Peterson, and Montgomery (pick 2)

I cut those PS eligible(Washington, Montomery + cross fingers) and keep Truluck and Lee.

B) LB bubble Navies, Manning, Lenon, Popinga (pick 2 or 3) I think Popinga gets cut and placed on PS

C) DB bubble Horton, Franz, Torrence, Dendy (pick one if you feel lucky) I do not see enough talent to keep any some may keep Horton one will be on PS.

or you can list them and say which 7 best help the Packers?

Dendy, Franz, Horton, Leach, Lee, Lenon, Manning, Montgomery, Navies, O'Dwyer, Peterson, Popinga, Steele, Thurman, Torrence, Truluck, Washington, Williams(RB)

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers aren't planning on keeping Ruegamer (which I think is unlikely but you never know), they might want to give the Cardinals a call to see if they'd be willing to trade for a center we might not keep. The article below said:

"Bill Conaty has been with the Cardinals for less than a week, yet he will likely start at center in the final two games of the preseason and perhaps in the regular-season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.

Alex Stepanovich, the usual starter, is out with a broken right hand. Backup Nick Leckey has a sprained ankle that could keep him out the next two weeks.

It's also possible, coach Dennis Green said, that Stepanovich and Leckey could miss the season opener"

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... b0823.html

With Kurt "The statue" Warner at QB, the Cardinals could probably use a decent center :mrgreen:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - here's what a source in Green Bay has to say about it all......

Final roster begins to take shape
By Jason Wilde / Wisconsin State Journal

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

DAVID DUPREY / ASSOCIATED PRESS Green Bay
Packers quarterback Brett Favre (4) throws a touchdown
pass to Ahman Green under pressure from Buffalo Bills'
London Fletcher (59) at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard
Park, N.Y., Saturday.

GREEN BAY -- After two preseason games, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has a pretty good idea of who'll be on his 53-man roster after he makes his final cuts 13 days from now.

Well, at least he has a better idea than he did coming into the most uncertain training camp since then-general manager Ron Wolf locked him in a dark film room with a stack of tapes and gave him his first NFL job in 1992.

At this time last year, all 22 starting jobs on offense and defense were set, only about a dozen roster spots were up for grabs and the biggest burning question was which veteran punter would replace third-round flop B.J. Sander (Bryan Barker was signed Aug. 23). The next two weeks will be a lot more interesting.

"It's not unanticipated," Thompson said of the roster uncertainty this camp. "We thought that there would be some battles during camp and some competition and it's working itself out that way. Yeah, there will be some new faces in the lineup this year for the Green Bay Packers.

"This team has been relatively intact, certainly with their more name players for a long time, and that's unusual. This just happens to be the year where it looks like we'll have some new faces.

"I think as with any team, I think there'll be some surprises as we move along."

With the NFL's two mandatory roster reductions -- to 65 players by 3 p.m. Aug. 30 and to 53 players by 3 p.m. Sept. 4 -- in mind, here's a subjective look at where the Packers stand following their 27-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills Saturday.

Counting unsigned transition tight end Bubba Franks, the Packers have 89 players on their roster. Their 10 NFL Europe roster exemptions expire at the last cutdown.

• Quarterbacks (3)

In: Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers.

On the bubble: Craig Nall.

Out: J.T. O'Sullivan.
Rodgers had a fabulous night Aug. 4, in the Packers' first joint practice with Buffalo, but he hasn't been particularly impressive since -- in the Aug. 5 scrimmage (1-for-7, 8 yards), the Aug. 11 preseason opener against San Diego (2-for-6, 7 yards) and Saturday's game against the Bills (4-for-9, 21 yards). Nall played lights-out in his five regular-season appearances last year as Favre's primary backup following Doug Pederson's back injury, and it looks like the Packers have to keep him. O'Sullivan managed to set up Ryan Longwell's game-winning field goal against the Chargers but has shown little else.

• Running backs (5-6)

In: Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, William Henderson, Tony Fisher.

On the bubble: Nick Luchey, Vonta Leach.

Out: Walt Williams, Joey Harris, Derrick Johnese.
Leach suffered a torn MCL against the Chargers but will stick if the Packers keep three fullbacks. The coaches remain enamored with Luchey's versatility but as he enters his third year with the club, he has yet to contribute significantly. Williams probably deserves a roster spot but isn't going to beat out Fisher. Harris, signed after two other training-camp backs went down, has shown flashes but not enough.

• Wide receivers (5-6)

In: Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Terrence Murphy, Antonio Chatman.

On the bubble: Andrae Thurman, Craig Bragg, Vince Butler.

Out: Jamal Jones, Sam Breeden, Chad Lucas.
Thurman has shown some kickoff return ability and has toughed out a broken thumb but there might not be a roster spot for him. Chatman continues to show he deserves the No. 4 job, while Murphy, a rookie second-round pick, has been plagued by injuries (hip flexor, followed by a torn MCL).Murphy has played well when he's been on the field, but he hasn't been there enough to challenge Chatman for the No. 4 job or the punt return gig.

• Tight ends (3)

In: None.

On the bubble: David Martin, Ben Steele, Sean McHugh.

Out: Tory Humphrey, Steve Fleming.

Unsigned: Bubba Franks.
When Martin (groin) didn't play against the Bills and Steele left the game with a neck injury, the Packers' desperate need for Franks came into sharp relief. Nonetheless, the team feels its made a fair offer to him and does not want to overpay. Steele has been maddeningly inconsistent catching -- and dropping -- the ball, but he should be the No. 3 behind Franks and Martin. Don't be surprised if the Packers add a tight end released by another club on the final cutdown, however.

• Offensive line (9-10)

In: LT Chad Clifton, RT Mark Tauscher, C Mike Flanagan, RT Kevin Barry, RG Will Whitticker, LG Adrian Klemm, LT Brad Bedell, C/G Scott Wells.

On the bubble: G/C Grey Ruegamer, C Chris White.

Out: RG Matt O'Dwyer, LG Junius Coston, RG Atlas Herrion, LT/RT Steve Morley, LT Joe Hayes.
Nothing's official, but Whitticker and Klemm appear to be the starters at guard. They started both preseason games and did nothing to hurt their standing. Ruegamer was replaced by Wells in the guard competition but offensive coordinator Tom Rossley has said his experience and versatility are too valuable to lose. Given the surprising camp of rookie seventh-round pick Whitticker, O'Dwyer is likely the odd man out. Bedell should be back this week from a hamstring injury and is a capable backup to Clifton. The Packers will have to hope they can sneak Coston, a fifth-round pick, and White, an impressive undrafted rookie, onto the practice squad.

• Defensive line (9)

In: DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE Aaron Kampman, DT Corey Williams, DE-DT Cullen Jenkins.

On the bubble: DT Cletidus Hunt, DT Grady Jackson, DE Mike Montgomery, DT Colin Cole, DT Donnell Washington, DE Kenny Peterson, DT James Lee, DE R-Kal Truluck.

Out: DT A.J. Lindsay, DE Seante Williams, DT Quintene Newhouse.
What a mess. Easily the most uncertain position on the roster, especially the interior line. The team's two most talented tackles -- Hunt (out since Aug. 4 with shoulder and knee injuries) and Jackson (still on the physically unable to perform list) -- remain unknowns but appear to be the best the Packers can do. Williams has the team made even though he hasn't outplayed Hunt and has injuries (back, side, ribs) of his own. Cole works hard but has limited ability, while Washington and Lee started against the Bills and did little to excite. At end, rookie sixth-round pick Montgomery has flashed, while either Peterson or Truluck will probably make the team virtually by default.

• Linebackers (6)

In: Nick Barnett, Na'il Diggs.

On the bubble: Ray Thompson, Brady Poppinga, Roy Manning, Hannibal Navies, Paris Lenon.

Out: Zac Woodfin, Nick McNeil, Kurt Campbell, Jeremiah Garrison.
Thompson and Navies have started the first two preseason games, while Diggs recovers from a torn MCL. One of the two figures to be a starter, while the other likely will be released. Ever-reliable Lenon played well against Buffalo and continues to work hard and maximize the limited ability he has. Manning, an undrafted rookie from Michigan, should make the roster barring a collapse. Poppinga, a fourth-round pick, missed a ton of time with a hamstring injury early but figures to be the sixth linebacker while he learns the position. Campbell, a seventh-round pick, showed promise but has a torn ACL and will go on injured reserve

• Defensive backs (9)

In: CB Al Harris, S Nick Collins, CB Mike Hawkins, CB Ahmad Carroll, S Mark Roman, CB Joey Thomas, S Earl Little, S Marviel Underwood.

On the bubble: CB Jason Horton, CB Chris Johnson, CB Leigh Torrence.

Out: S Todd Franz, CB Chris Day, S Julius Curry, CB Patrick Dendy.
Hawkins played well in his start against the Bills. Carroll is the starter by default right now at left corner because Thomas (calf, then hip) has been on the field for only three full days of practice. Roman was ahead of Little for the safety spot next to rookie second-round pick Collins, but Roman missed the Bills game and Little could overtake him. Horton, Johnson and Torrance are likely battling for one roster spot.

• Special teams

In: K Ryan Longwell, LS Rob Davis.

On the bubble: P B.J. Sander
Sander ranks seventh in the NFL in preseason punting, averaging 45.2 gross yards and 35.3 net yards on 13 punts. (Ex-Packers punter Josh Bidwell, now with Tampa Bay, leads the league.) Two more solid preseason performances and he'll be on his way to being a solid punter -- although he'll never be worth his third-round selection. Davis is too valuable to cut even though he doesn't play another position.

Well. that would be a mouthful.... I don't agree with it all - but it's not long now and the answers will come quick. I think he's off on the Left Guard controversy and BJ Sander's not going anywhere; his performance so far has finally proven to be what they were expecting of him last year. I also think he's wrong about Colin Cole, totally!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cole, a college teammate of Kampman at Iowa, has moved ahead of both Lee and Washington in the middle and probably will be Jackson's backup when Jackson returns.

Yesssssss - I called this one, the night of the Buffalo game.... Grady better watch out!
Colin Cole has the makings of another Gilbert Brown, I don't care what anyone says....
He may be a rookie at this point - but you just watch this guy grow...!

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Cole, a college teammate of Kampman at Iowa, has moved ahead of both Lee and Washington in the middle and probably will be Jackson's backup when Jackson returns.

Yesssssss - I called this one, the night of the Buffalo game.... Grady better watch out!
Colin Cole has the makings of another Gilbert Brown, I don't care what anyone says....
He may be a rookie at this point - but you just watch this guy grow...!

Well at least I got 1 poster to agree with me, better late then never.

kuston
Waterboy

kuston's Photo Gallery Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quit reading the hype and think about this. Can anyone name the DT's at Miami during Bates time? Can anyone name the DT's at Dallas when Bates was there? Only the hardcore of you can without google and you all know that none of these guys were big $$ players. This system need 2gap junkyard dogs to play DT. They don't make headlines, they don't make money, they don't make plays, they just do the work. They are the kind of players Packer fans love. Bates and TT know where they are, who they are, if they weren't available Grady would already have his new contract. I'll even make a prediction, Colin Cole will not only make the team but he will be in the regular rotation at DT. Why? Because he is a strong wide-body that can play 2-gap. I honestly think some of you people think TT is a moron. Give the guy some credit or atleast give him enough rope to hang himself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts