My 30 Second (Tight End) Rant

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You're thinking like TT now...drafting to fill holes instead of actually committing to the D&D concept. There are some serious receiver concerns in the future with Adams entering his contract year, Nelson aging, and Cobb declining. It's possible that the BPA at any one of our draft spots is a TE, and you might have to take that, give the talent at that position. If GB had a good GM, they could draft depth players capable of climbing up the ladder.

So you are telling me if you are drafting for the Packers and it's round #1 and a QB is your BPA, you grab him? BPA is a nice draft term, but it most likely includes a "tier" of players and guessing you want to combine it with position of need, but that is just me.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are telling me if you are drafting for the Packers and it's round #1 and a QB is your BPA, you grab him? BPA is a nice draft term, but it most likely includes a "tier" of players and guessing you want to combine it with position of need, but that is just me.
Obviously, when you have the most talented player to be in that position, you can afford to look for someone else. But there's a major gap between Rodgers and anyone else on the team, and both you and I are aware of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

So much for Richard Rogers being "on the cheap", if he makes the 2017 Roster. Quite the pay bump. I like him as a backup and in the red zone, but not sure at this kind of money, $1.838 M

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...richard-rodgers-get-1-million-raises-for-2017

Even with the bump in salary I'm fine with keeping Rodgers around as a backup tight end. It might be smart to add another player at the position on day 3 of the draft.

Considering TT passed on Hunter Henry (twice) in 2016 draft I doubt he'd spend our 1st rounder on Howard this year. :(

The Packers only had one selection before Henry was drafted with the 35th pick last year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sort of like the Packers' 2005 draft choice? :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sort of like the Packers' 2005 draft choice? :)

LOL...yeah I didn't want to open that door up either, but remember back in 2005 a certain someone was perceived to be slowly pushing their way out of GB and when a possible overall #1 pick is still sitting there at #24...I don't have a problem with BPA in that situation. Of course hindsight with this one is easy too. Had AR never played a game in GB, this organization probably would look completely different today.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be taking Jake Butt and putting him on the PUP list and maybe he can play later or maybe he just sits out the entire year. I would like to know how far he is going to drop. Patriots or Cowboys will take him and do exactly that with him unless TT grabs him first.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doh!! You had to unlock and unbar that door, didn't you? Knew I should have put sheetrock over it.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You couldn't possibly have thought a softball like wouldn't get pounded? :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook will be resigned unless some other team swoops in and just flat out offers crazy money.

The Cook signing this year was flat awesome...and it did something awesome for us. Allowed Richard Rodgers to be the #2...he is a perfect #2 for us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry worded oddly. He is perfect when not the #1. Could we do better at our #2 sure, however what I meant and failed it is Richard himself is perfect for an offense when #2 not at #1.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early Monday morning, just yanking your chain. I understand what you're saying, I just wasn't used to seeing'that 'Rodgers' and 'perfect' in the same sentence. :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talks between the Packers and Cook have broken off and he's almost certainly on his way out of Green Bay.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of TE options in the draft for TT to draft & develop. Sad that Cook is over-playing his hand, but TT set a "value" on him and it's lower than Jared expects. :(

Although smaller than ideal I've taken a liking to mid-rounder George Kittle from Iowa.
6'-3.5", 247 but said to be the best blocking TE in this draft. Runs decent routes (4.52 40) and has soft hands. A 4 down TE and sprinkle in a little Cajuste and there would definitely be some speed at TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of TE options in the draft for TT to draft & develop. Sad that Cook is over-playing his hand, but TT set a "value" on him and it's lower than Jared expects. :(

Unfortunately draft picks take a lot of time to develop into decent players at the tight end position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately draft picks take a lot of time to develop into decent players at the tight end position.

If at all......
  1. Kennard Backman
  2. DJ Williams
  3. Ryan Taylor
  4. Clark Harris
Finley would be about the only TE, in recent history, that was drafted and had a "successful" career. Richard Rodgers and Andrew Quarles type players shouldn't be what the Packers would be looking for to replace Cook.

My biggest concern with not resigning Cook is two fold. The chemistry between him and AR was just starting to develop and that would have to be reestablished with another FA or Rookie. Second, if the Packers go the Rookie route, that could take time and for it to have the best highest potential for success, will require the Packers to use a 1st to 3rd round pick. Picks that probably could have been used to improve a defense that desperately needs improving.

I haven't given up on Cook being resigned, but it obviously might have to come at a price higher than the Packers have put on the table. I really don't want another 3 years of talking about "The Packers need to give AR a weapon at TE"....that weapon was already found with Cook.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If at all......
  1. Kennard Backman
  2. DJ Williams
  3. Ryan Taylor
  4. Clark Harris
Finley would be about the only TE, in recent history, that was drafted and had a "successful" career. Richard Rodgers and Andrew Quarles type players shouldn't be what the Packers would be looking for to replace Cook.

My biggest concern with not resigning Cook is two fold. The chemistry between him and AR was just starting to develop and that would have to be reestablished with another FA or Rookie. Second, if the Packers go the Rookie route, that could take time and for it to have the best highest potential for success, will require the Packers to use a 1st to 3rd round pick. Picks that probably could have been used to improve a defense that desperately needs improving.

I haven't given up on Cook being resigned, but it obviously might have to come at a price higher than the Packers have put on the table. I really don't want another 3 years of talking about "The Packers need to give AR a weapon at TE"....that weapon was already found with Cook.
Many are discussing Cook like he has been a savior to the offense and is a MUST SIGN. He's very athletic but has never panned-out for Tennessee (4 yrs.) and Rams (3 years, I believe). This is from an LA beat writer shortly after Cook was cut last year... “For the most part, Cook’s production as a Ram falls in line with what he did for the Tennessee Titans. That would be fine except for the fact that the production hasn’t met the high price the Rams have paid him. Cook has also drawn criticism for his issues with drops and struggles as a blocker.”

Cook did some things well and made some good/great plays in '16, but was a situational player (pass plays). Cook played well on a 1-year prove it type deal. TT doesn't need to over pay for this, IMHO, as Cook has already peaked. If returns I'll welcome him back, but I don't think this offense NEEDS him to succeed.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have to watch another year of ****ie Rodgers at TE1, my eyes might bleed just a little bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Many are discussing Cook like he has been a savior to the offense and is a MUST SIGN. He's very athletic but has never panned-out for Tennessee (4 yrs.) and Rams (3 years, I believe). This is from an LA beat writer shortly after Cook was cut last year... “For the most part, Cook’s production as a Ram falls in line with what he did for the Tennessee Titans. That would be fine except for the fact that the production hasn’t met the high price the Rams have paid him. Cook has also drawn criticism for his issues with drops and struggles as a blocker.”

Cook did some things well and made some good/great plays in '16, but was a situational player (pass plays). Cook played well on a 1-year prove it type deal. TT doesn't need to over pay for this, IMHO, as Cook has already peaked. If returns I'll welcome him back, but I don't think this offense NEEDS him to succeed.

Cook was the best receiving threat at tight end the Packers have had since Finley went down. If he leaves in free agency the team has another position in need of an upgrade.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is why I always go for BVA, the best player who fits the scheme and is going to be able to contribute in the near future.

Members online

Latest posts