My 30 Second (Tight End) Rant

D

Deleted member 6794

I think having Brice back playing center field, allowing both Burnett and Haha to move around, and make plays.

Brice might end up being a decent safety down the road but I don't want to rely on him playing center field against the high scoring Falcons offense on Sunday.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice might end up being a decent safety down the road but I don't want to rely on him playing center field against the high scoring Falcons offense on Sunday.

Well one thing I can say is he's definitely faster and more athletic than Burnett...and can hit just as hard. Burnett has better hands and instincts. But Bruce covers a lot of ground With that 4.4 speed that's for sure. He may be out of position at times due to inexperience but he gets to the spot in a hurry. I've always loved fast safeties...we haven't had one of those since the great Nick Collins. I'd like to see Brice pick one off because like Collins he has the ability to turn it to six points.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more important to either sign Cook or get another Cook-like TE for next season than getting a CB. ideally, do both.

With Cook on the field (remember Finley?), this offense is so much better.

It'll never happen, but if we sign Cook and draft OJ Howard, life would be sweet for Packer fans.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Well one thing I can say is he's definitely faster and more athletic than Burnett...and can hit just as hard. Burnett has better hands and instincts. But Bruce covers a lot of ground With that 4.4 speed that's for sure. He may be out of position at times due to inexperience but he gets to the spot in a hurry. I've always loved fast safeties...we haven't had one of those since the great Nick Collins. I'd like to see Brice pick one off because like Collins he has the ability to turn it to six points.
Wasn't that Brice that almost had a pick last Sunday? If so, he was in great position, just needs to close his mitts a bit faster...!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll never happen, but if we sign Cook and draft OJ Howard, life would be sweet for Packer fans.
I think OJ Howard is 1st TE off board and probably wont be available when we pick. Jake Butt would be my 1st choice, he has a solid all around game! Bucky Hodges is my #2, matchup nightmare for defenses at 6-7 250 with above average speed. May not be worth a 1st Rd pick but he won't be there in the 2nd when we pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't that Brice that almost had a pick last Sunday? If so, he was in great position, just needs to close his mitts a bit faster...!
yes it was, he needs to catch that. If he gets another opportunity like that, it can't slip away. That's why we were losing games earlier and winning games more recently. he must make that play. I know he's young, I like him. He's had some great hits, that stop at the goal line towards the middle of the year was great for me. Just took that RB and stoned him dead at the 1. He planted Beasley I think on Sunday. There's a lot to like about him. But he has to make those plays now. No more time to grow up, this is big boy football.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m worried about Brice being out of position too often. Matt Ryan would for sure exploit that on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

It will be interesting if Burnett doesnt suit up. Dix will need to play top notch and help young Brice get in proper position. Alot rides on Dix and Gunter and how well they play Sunday!

Burnett not being able to play on Sunday would be absolutely devastating for the Packers defense.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for Richard Rogers being "on the cheap", if he makes the 2017 Roster. Quite the pay bump. I like him as a backup and in the red zone, but not sure at this kind of money, $1.838 M

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...richard-rodgers-get-1-million-raises-for-2017
He does better than given credit for. Both of them deserve the pay bump. Have you ever heard ARod say anything negative about RR? I don't think he is an ProBowl TE but he does his job and makes clutch catches.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering TT passed on Hunter Henry (twice) in 2016 draft I doubt he'd spend our 1st rounder on Howard this year. :(
The TE class is loaded this year. I think of Njoku or Howard is available he has to take them, and if not, there may be another good one available at the end of the 2nd.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight ends very rarely make much of an impact early in their careers. Hunter Henry, despite being thought of as a great pick (which he was considering where he was drafted), had 478 yards receiving, not exactly an impact rookie. I'd rather the team just go the late round route and draft a guy with loads of athletic potential but little experience (like an ex-basketball player). Much cheaper and will probably take as long to have an impact as a first round guy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more important stat to keep in mind for Henry's rookie season is his 8 touchdowns.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've had dreams about the Packers running a two tight-end set with Cook and Howard (similar to the Patriots with Gronk and Hernandez, but with more production and less murder). Rodgers would own the middle of the field.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE class is loaded this year. I think of Njoku or Howard is available he has to take them, and if not, there may be another good one available at the end of the 2nd.

Jake Butt's injury in the bowl game should drop his stock to around the 3rd round. He's definitely worth the investment assuming the knee is alright.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sign Cook....keep Richard Rodgers...if Butt is still on the board in the 4th or 5th, grab him, but otherwise no rush. If Cook is resigned, there are more urgent needs than TE. As always, the draft will depend on what the Packers do with signing their own and in the free agency market.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign Cook....keep Richard Rodgers...if Butt is still on the board in the 4th or 5th, grab him, but otherwise no rush. If Cook is resigned, there are more urgent needs than TE. As always, the draft will depend on what the Packers do with signing their own and in the free agency market.
Cook is inconsistent and has proven to be so throughout his career...The depth at this position in the draft gives good reason to believe that a quality TE will be available at some point, and we shouldn't pass up on that because a guy had a few good games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cook is inconsistent and has proven to be so throughout his career...The depth at this position in the draft gives good reason to believe that a quality TE will be available at some point, and we shouldn't pass up on that because a guy had a few good games.

I'll respectfully disagree on Cook. Once he came back from his injury, he and AR started to build chemistry on the field and it showed. If they can resign him, I don't see the immediate need to spend anything but a mid (Butts) to late round pick on a TE, especially given there would be other positions in greater need of improvement.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll respectfully disagree on Cook. Once he came back from his injury, he and AR started to build chemistry on the field and it showed. If they can resign him, I don't see the immediate need to spend anything but a mid (Butts) to late round pick on a TE, especially given there would be other positions in greater need of improvement.
Is there a single NFL caliber receiver that Rodgers can't create chemistry with? And I agree with the position in which GB should take one if at all, but there should be a good talent available in that area. TE is basically just a label for a big, versatile receiver now. And If Cook goes down, we're back to the dark ages of Richard Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is there a single NFL caliber receiver that Rodgers can't create chemistry with? And I agree with the position in which GB should take one if at all, but there should be a good talent available in that area. TE is basically just a label for a big, versatile receiver now. And If Cook goes down, we're back to the dark ages of Richard Rodgers.

Wish we could have a high caliber starter at #2 with every position, but given that the Packers will probably have more pressing needs (if Cook is resigned), IMO TE won't be one of them. If the prognosis on Butts recovery is good, which I have read it is, he would be a great 4th or 5th round pick for the future. But spending a 1-3 round pick for a rookie to back up Cook, I just don't see it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish we could have a high caliber starter at #2 with every position, but given that the Packers will probably have more pressing needs (if Cook is resigned), IMO TE won't be one of them. If the prognosis on Butts recovery is good, which I have read it is, he would be a great 4th or 5th round pick for the future. But spending a 1-3 round pick for a rookie to back up Cook, I just don't see it.
You're thinking like TT now...drafting to fill holes instead of actually committing to the D&D concept. There are some serious receiver concerns in the future with Adams entering his contract year, Nelson aging, and Cobb declining. It's possible that the BPA at any one of our draft spots is a TE, and you might have to take that, give the talent at that position. If GB had a good GM, they could draft depth players capable of climbing up the ladder.

Latest posts