My 30 Second (Tight End) Rant

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When evaluating a free agent it makes sense to look at the potential of the upgrade. When you have absolute garbage at a position it makes more sense to sign a free agent since to potential reward is quote high, especially if the free agent doesn't break the bank.
When evaluating a TEAM you have one ball and must have enough options to distribute that ball to. A healthy Jordy, Cobb, Adams, and an inshape Eddie are a pretty good bunch. RR fits in there nicely too as a pass catcher. Other than a dip in performance earlier this year his hands have been stellar and he's made some big catches for us.

Not sure what our options were at TE, but on a scale of important things last year I would have put a reliable backup Offensive lineman ahead of another TE last year

And this year you tell me the quality veteran dbs that where going to fill out the bottom of our roster. Because in March none of you were talking about DBs being a weakness.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With mediocre QBs on other teams Cook still flashed, though he was not offered a top-tier contract. With Rodgers at QB Cook shines. Perhaps, other FA players mired on mediocre teams could do so, as well. Like Cook, these players may be signed to reasonable prove-it contracts initially and extended longer if their play warrants doing so. If ever a player epitomized the value of acquiring a savvy veteran player to fill a position of need, Cook is this season's poster boy.

With the SB hanging in the balance it kind of makes me pine for experienced vets to have filled other roster needs after last March rather than crossing our fingers with bottom-of-the-barrel players whose only meaningful roster justification is that they came cheap. It's the difference between acknowledging the actual difference between cost and value.

Again, the specific choice in the Packers case this season may have been retaining Backman or Perillo in lieu of signing Cook. Mull that one over. Would be better off entering the playoffs with Hawkins and a converted no-name as our last resorts at DB, or would we be in better hands with veteran DBs along the lines of a Jared Cook?

While I agree with your logic, I think the Packers were just fine heading into the regular season with the secondary they had. There didn't seem to be a need to improve that with FA's last year. However, where TT dropped the ball IMO, was when Shields went down and the sophomore CB's were getting injured or playing poorly, he stood pat. Cleveland was rumored to be shopping Joe Haden and I am guessing TT could have pulled the trigger on him or another CB that would have played much better than what we currently are seeing. Imagine this defense with Shields, Haden or a legit starting CB.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only on this board can we make a NFCCG, on a last second FG with a FA pickup playing big and people complain that TT doesn't use FA enough. Actually it's not just this board.

How bout being happy that unlike other GMs when TT makes a pickup in free agency he actually hits on it?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only on this board can we make a NFCCG, on a last second FG with a FA pickup playing big and people complain that TT doesn't use FA enough. Actually it's not just this board.

How bout being happy that unlike other GMs when TT makes a pickup in free agency he actually hits on it?

No, not only on this board. Most of the others I'm on have much the same thing.

This time, it's not so much 'why doesn't he use FA more?' as 'we told you so - there are low-budget guys out there who could help, especially when the incumbents aren't cutting it'.

Do you really want to have folks out looking for the good FAs that other GMs have signed? I'm pretty sure that, unless you left out a modifier like 'some' other GMs, there are plenty of FA pickups that have been hits.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I'm not complaining about being where we are at all, especially given where we were 2 months ago. However, I don't understand how looking at positives and negatives, with an eye to the future is a bad thing? Sure, soak up the sunshine and bathe in the glory of accomplishments, but don't let those blind you to continue to improve by correcting those things you could have done better.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, not only on this board. Most of the others I'm on have much the same thing.

This time, it's not so much 'why doesn't he use FA more?' as 'we told you so - there are low-budget guys out there who could help, especially when the incumbents aren't cutting it'.

Do you really want to have folks out looking for the good FAs that other GMs have signed? I'm pretty sure that, unless you left out a modifier like 'some' other GMs, there are plenty of FA pickups that have been hits.

Yes I should've used the modifier. No Internet poster should be saying "I told you so". The number of horrible pickups we'd have if TT listened to them would be huge with a few good pickups like Cook sprinkled in.

The argument always has been that he doesn't use it enough. My argument is that when he does use it he's successful and this is not a good time to be complaining about it

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The argument always has been that he doesn't use it enough. My argument is that when he does use it he's successful and this is not a good time to be complaining about it

So instead of viewing this as people complaining, can you view it as people pointing out that Cook is a classic example of what a FA signing can mean to the Packers? I for one am not proposing going out and signing several over priced free agents, that isn't what the Packers needed to do last year or at the end of this year. I am merely pointing out, that filling a glaring need, TE in this case, can be accomplished with something other than draft and develop.

With an eye to next year, would you be comfortable with our current group of CB's and maybe toss in a few drafted and UDFA CB's?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So instead of viewing this as people complaining, can you view it as people pointing out that Cook is a classic example of what a FA signing can mean to the Packers? I for one am not proposing going out and signing a several over priced free agents, that isn't what the Packers needed to do last year or at the end of this year. I am merely pointing out, that filling a glaring need, TE in this case, can be accomplished with something other than draft and develop.

Well sure you can point that out. But it doesn't mean it goes against what TT does. He does it. Just not as much as some people want.

And no. I'm going to look at this as people complaining. You may not be but common. You know better

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well sure you can point that out. But it doesn't mean it goes against what TT does. He does it. Just not as much as some people want.

And no. I'm going to look at this as people complaining. You may not be but common. You know better

As I posted earlier, there is a wide range of what teams do or don't do with the FA market and the Packers are not a team that has to rely heavily on overspending to try and fill a lot of holes or find that one guy who anchors the entire defense or offense. All I was doing was pointing out that Cook is a classic example of using the FA market successfully, as was Peppers (technically not a FA) and TT may want to try and repeat that success "just a bit more" than he has. CB if I had my wish.

Again, wide range of what you can do in the FA market.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came out of left field. Nobody had a clue he was signing here, until he did. Which tells me how Ted operates

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If peppers wasn't a free agent acquisition, what was he?

I remember somebody debating what to "technically" call Peppers when he was signed. The Bears had outright cut him and from what I remember, posters had another terminology for what he technically was. Which is why I put that in parenthesis. I didn't want that debate to start up again, but I think I did LOL But yeah, in my mind is was a "FA".

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a falcon fan cooks speed worries me a bit, we have not been great at covering TE's. It's tightened up a bit towards the end of the season but cook has been amazing when actually utilized. That catch yesterday was a thing of beauty expectially for a TE. Don't see big men doing that to often. It's gonna be a battle between Cambell our LB and Neal our SS covering him Sunday.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook is a priority ahead of anyone if you ask me. He has made a world of difference. There is no way we win that game if it's Richard Rogers and not Cook..no way. The first priority on defense is to resign Perry and Hyde...and add a corner!! Idc if it's via draft or free agency! But the #1 corner in Capers defense isn't on the roster. I'm convinced he's not...no doubt about it. They need a big physical corner who can run ...like last year. Micah Hyde is our best Defensive back, and he's just average.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is such a shortsighted minuscule take on things it's hardly worth responding to. Yeah it took a while to replace an excellent TE in the prime of his career who he drafted, and had his career ended. The rest of the roster doesn't stop needing attention, and not every TE is available at any given moment.

I like cook, I hope we re-sign him, but this offense should also be potent with a healthy Nelson, Cobb, Adams and our formerly in shape and effective Eddie Lacy. Case and freaking point, we win a super bowl with with no TE and Starks as our RB. Lots of ways to win football games.

There's absolutely no doubt it takes Thompson way too long to address obvious positions of need with tight end only being one of several examples during his tenure. Selectively using free agency would improve the chances of that not happening.

The 2010 Packers had a great defense, that offense wouldn't have won the Super Bowl with this year's unit.

And this year you tell me the quality veteran dbs that where going to fill out the bottom of our roster. Because in March none of you were talking about DBs being a weakness.

Thompson had several weeks after the start of the season when it became abundantly clear that the cornerback position was in dire need of an upgrade to improve the position but he decided to stand pat. Unfortunately defending the pass is the team's biggest weakness and possibly the reason the Packers come up short of their goal to win another title.

If peppers wasn't a free agent acquisition, what was he?

Technically Peppers wasn't an unrestricted free agent as he was released by the Bears before signing in Green Bay. BTW just like Cook as the Rams cut him last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agents none the less. And it's your opinion again. This supposes that someone better is always available at any given time. It takes into account nothing else that happens in terms of roster. I can't help think about all the signings over the years made by fans and what that would have meant to this team. Man that Rolondo McClain signing that never happened would have been nice

D

Deleted member 6794

Free agents none the less. And it's your opinion again. This supposes that someone better is always available at any given time. It takes into account nothing else that happens in terms of roster. I can't help think about all the signings over the years made by fans and what that would have meant to this team. Man that Rolondo McClain signing that never happened would have been nice

It's absolutely mind-boggling that a reasonable fan like you denies the Packers should have been able to improve the cornerback position during this season once it became clear it was in desperate need of an upgrade.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with your logic, I think the Packers were just fine heading into the regular season with the secondary they had. There didn't seem to be a need to improve that with FA's last year. However, where TT dropped the ball IMO, was when Shields went down and the sophomore CB's were getting injured or playing poorly, he stood pat. Cleveland was rumored to be shopping Joe Haden and I am guessing TT could have pulled the trigger on him or another CB that would have played much better than what we currently are seeing. Imagine this defense with Shields, Haden or a legit starting CB.

Haden has a very big contract through 2020, including an 11.7 million cap hit this season. The Packers have about 9.4 million in cap space.

Depending on how much the Browns would have to pick up the deal for this year, he might not have even fit under the cap.

Plus, we'd be saying good bye to a few of our upcoming free agents.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haden has a very big contract through 2020, including an 11.7 million cap hit this season. The Packers have about 9.4 million in cap space.

Depending on how much the Browns would have to pick up the deal for this year, he might not have even fit under the cap.

The Packers will most likely release Shields this offseason resulting in the team being able to afford a contract like Haden's to fit under the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

This season, however, he may not even have fit.

If the Packers had traded for Haden at the deadline the team would have taken a $5.35 million cap hit in 2016. Therefore it would have worked this season as well.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to Ted for signing Cook.

When Ted does venture into FA he usually hits. Cook, Peppers, Woodson

Hopefully he will sign a vet CB next year.

He might have to! I think it all depends on what they do with Perry, and what happens with Peppers that's going to dictate the first round. If Peppers retires, and if Perry leaves in Free agency? then the #1 need becomes adding another edge rusher imo. As bad as the corner play has been Clay Matthews isnt the type of guy anymore to where he commands a double team. Because he's wrecking a drive...So another edge rusher will be critical! But either way, a corner will be a huge need in either the first or second rd no doubt about it. Playing against guys like, Stafford, Ryan, Brees, Newton, Wilson, and now Prescott on the Road to the SB in the NFC they are going to have to sure up the back end most definitely.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I am guessing that something could have been worked out with the Browns to have made his cap number work for the Packers this season and as Captain stated, the release of Shields will help with future years.

I get it, its a big gamble to pay a guy like Haden (as it was Shields) all that money and lose a draft pick as well, but it also has turned out to be a bad gamble on standing pat with our current group of CB's.

I hope we keeping winning and I think we can, but if we do loose as a result of our CB's just not being good enough, many will view what was and wasn't done at the position a key factor in the final outcome of the season.