Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if it makes you guys feel any better, the Seahawks lost 2/5ths of their starting offensive line
When they traded Max Unger and lost James Carpenter to free agency and they don't have a
First round pick. Sure they added Jimmy Graham, but when they struggled at times last year
Their offensive line didn't play well.

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize the loss of both Tramon and House, but I'm thinking we can
Find a solid backup in the draft as well as a starting ILB. I'm more concerned about our NT
Position and will feel better once we fill that position, hopefully through free agency.

The Seahawks oline has never been very good. Losing Unger isn't ideal obviously but oline, as demonstrated by the last half dozen Super Bowl champs, isn't really that important to winning a title.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks oline has never been very good. Losing Unger isn't ideal obviously but oline, as demonstrated by the last half dozen Super Bowl champs, isn't really that important to winning a title.

You can say the same thing about New England . They had a below average Oline all year and they won it all...

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FA CB's Sterling Moore and Patrick Robinson were signed by other teams today. The FA CB market is basically dead.

Looks like TT is going into the draft without signing a veteran FA CB huh?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015CB.php

Looking at that list of still available FA CB's, none of them excite me at all. Maybe Zack Bowman as a stop gap? Tarell Brown? Kyle Wilson? Antwon Blake?

meh

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Kyle Wilson a former high draft pick? 1st rd if i remember correctly. He wouldn't be a horrible pick up. What is TT doing? I'm not going to give him
As much credit as some of you do but the defense has actually gotten worse. Can't always depend on TT to draft studs on defense because he normally doesn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

FA CB's Sterling Moore and Patrick Robinson were signed by other teams today. The FA CB market is basically dead.

Looks like TT is going into the draft without signing a veteran FA CB huh?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015CB.php

Looking at that list of still available FA CB's, none of them excite me at all. Maybe Zack Bowman as a stop gap? Tarell Brown? Kyle Wilson? Antwon Blake?

meh

I don´t see the need to bring in any of the remaining free agents at CB. We should be fine at the position by finding a dime corner in the draft who´s capable of at least challenging Hayward for the starting spot opposite Hayward.

I really would like Thompson to sign a veteran ILB and improve the NT position before the draft though.

Wasn't Kyle Wilson a former high draft pick? 1st rd if i remember correctly. He wouldn't be a horrible pick up. What is TT doing? I'm not going to give him
As much credit as some of you do but the defense gas actually gotten worse. Can't always depend on TT to draft studs on defense because he normally doesn't.

Wilson was a first round pick by the Jets in 2010 but has only been average during his five year career. He has mostly played slot corner in New York, I´d rather have Thompson draft another CB capable of playing outside as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not worried about the corner back position, I'm particularly worried about the inside linebacker position.

I think that not being concerned with the CB position is a little bit too optimistic but I agree that ILB is the one in dire need of an upgrade.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Things to consider:

Today is March 20. The season doesn't begin Sunday.

On our roster we have Thomas, Palmer, Hubbard, Thornton, Goodson, Bradford, Mulumba, Glover-Wright. They're all young and developing. Trust the coaches. It's fair to assume that two of these guys are going to become either serviceable starters or very significant contributors that surprise most of the folks here that are worried about our roster on March 20.

We have 9 draft picks and 10 UDFA's coming in the first week of May. More surprises.

There are going to be players cut in the next two months because there is a plethora of teams that cannot successfully manage the cap. This as always is to our advantage. It essentially brings about a second round of free agency where the teams are in control of setting market value, not the player.

This team is going to have the usual 20% turnover- Ted Thompson

The roster development process will work itself out. - Ted Thompson

The roster needs to be set on Labor Day,
not April Fools Day.

Ted thompson is a very patient man. Much to the chagrin of many here who tend to interject their own thought process into Ted's timetable and plan.

Since Thompson doesn't talk about plans, processes and player details, this makes it easy for armchair GM's and the nattering nabobs of negativism to take back-handed swipes at his performance.

I find it very amusing and an interesting study of human behavior to see this play out every single year on this forum. You can set your calendar to it. I wonder what other teams fans would think about this annual phenomena. I would like to hear their thoughts and perceptions on this.

D

Deleted member 6794

Things to consider:

Today is March 20. The season doesn't begin Sunday.

On our roster we have Thomas, Palmer, Hubbard, Thornton, Goodson, Bradford, Mulumba, Glover-Wright. They're all young and developing. Trust the coaches. It's fair to assume that two of these guys are going to become either serviceable starters or very significant contributors that surprise most of the folks here that are worried about our roster on March 20.

We have 9 draft picks and 10 UDFA's coming in the first week of May. More surprises.

There are going to be players cut in the next two months because there is a plethora of teams that cannot successfully manage the cap. This as always is to our advantage. It essentially brings about a second round of free agency where the teams are in control of setting market value, not the player.

This team is going to have the usual 20% turnover- Ted Thompson

The roster development process will work itself out. - Ted Thompson

The roster needs to be set on Labor Day,
not April Fools Day.

Ted thompson is a very patient man. Much to the chagrin of many here who tend to interject their own thought process into Ted's timetable and plan.

Since Thompson doesn't talk about plans, processes and player details, this makes it easy for armchair GM's and the nattering nabobs of negativism to take back-handed swipes at his performance.

I find it very amusing and an interesting study of human behavior to see this play out every single year on this forum. You can set your calendar to it. I wonder what other teams fans would think about this annual phenomena. I would like to hear their thoughts and perceptions on this.

I agree with you that it´s way too early to evaluate the Packers roster going into the 2015 season. But it seems like you expect too much out of second year players who weren´t able to even get on the field during their rookie season. There´s a reason for them not playing at all.

Last year only Sam Barrington was able to make an impact on the team´s defense in his second season after playing only a single snap during his rookie year but that was mostly because the Packers ignored the ILB position during the entire offseason in 2014. While he was serviceable he hardly was a game changer on the unit.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you that it´s way too early to evaluate the Packers roster going into the 2015 season. But it seems like you expect too much out of second year players who weren´t able to even get on the field during their rookie season. There´s a reason for them not playing at all.

Last year only Sam Barrington was able to make an impact on the team´s defense in his second season after playing only a single snap during his rookie year but that was mostly because the Packers ignored the ILB position during the entire offseason in 2014. While he was serviceable he hardly was a game changer on the unit.
Will Barrington be a better player this year, than last year? Who will be this year's Barrington? Will there be more than one Barrington this year? What does the coaching staff feel about the 8 defensive players I listed? Time will tell. None of us are in a position to make accurate assessments.

D

Deleted member 6794

Will Barrington be a better player this year, than last year? Who will be this year's Barrington? Will there be more than one Barrington this year? What does the coaching staff feel about the 8 defensive players I listed? Time will tell. None of us are in a position to make accurate assessments.

While I agree we aren´t in a position to make accurate assessments history suggests that players who don´t get on the field during their rookie season at all mostly don´t have an impact in their second season or later in their career either.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just before last season, most concerns centered on the inside linebacker position. Those concerns turned out to be well founded.

Two years ago it was safety. Seem to recall that some said trust the development of young players like M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian. That did not occur.

At this point, CB, NT, and ILBer are all problematic. Draft and free agency still yet to play out for sure but there are several defensive holes to fill.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just before last season, most concerns centered on the inside linebacker position. Those concerns turned out to be well founded.

Two years ago it was safety. Seem to recall that some said trust the development of young players like M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian. That did not occur.

At this point, CB, NT, and ILBer are all problematic. Draft and free agency still yet to play out for sure but there are several defensive holes to fill.
Just like every year for every team.
There are always questions and uncertainties on every team. Throw in injuries, team chemistry and player maturation into the mix. Each team will have underachievers and overachievers that will fix old problems and create new problems. It's the way of life in the NFL. Adapt, adjust and innovate.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and discuss, perhaps in a Packers sports forum. If not that, then please put forth a list of things about which we're authorized to have opinions. Was going to take your post point-by-point, but the intervening comments cover most of that ground.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are always questions and uncertainties on every team. Throw in injuries, team chemistry and player maturation into the mix. Each team will have underachievers and overachievers that will fix old problems and create new problems. It's the way of life in the NFL. Adapt, adjust and innovate.

Thompson made a huge mistake last offseason not addressing ILB (just like he did with safety in 2013). It would be inexcusable to not upgrade the position before the 2015 season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and discuss, perhaps in a Packers sports forum. If not that, then please put forth a list of things about which we're authorized to have opinions. Was going to take your post point-by-point, but the intervening comments cover most of that ground.

We could talk about the weather. Its been pretty nice in SE Wisconsin this last week or so although Tuesday was a bit of a stinger after an incredible Monday.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, isn't that more interesting and exciting than discussing the Packers' roster?

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Barrington was the only 2nd year player that didn't play much as a rookie who was healthy. Tretter won a starting job so he likely would have contributed a lot if he didn't get hurt. Well actually Charles Johnson had a pretty good 2nd season it was just for a different team.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree we aren´t in a position to make accurate assessments history suggests that players who don´t get on the field during their rookie season at all mostly don´t have an impact in their second season or later in their career either.

There's a lot more that goes into it than just getting on the field. Josh Sitton, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Rodgers all played under 100 snaps as rookies then guys like Bulaga and Lang only got playing time as rookies because of injuries. Also guys like Desmond Bishop, Johnny Jolly, Tramon Williams, Mike Neal barely played as rookies. I think overall talent level has a lot more to do with making a 2nd year or later impact than does playing time as a rookie because there are a lot of factors that effect whether a rookie gets to play or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's a lot more that goes into it than just getting on the field. Josh Sitton, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Rodgers all played under 100 snaps as rookies then guys like Bulaga and Lang only got playing time as rookies because of injuries. Also guys like Desmond Bishop, Johnny Jolly, Tramon Williams, Mike Neal barely played as rookies. I think overall talent level has a lot more to do with making a 2nd year or later impact than does playing time as a rookie because there are a lot of factors that effect whether a rookie gets to play or not.

There's a difference though between barely playing as a rookie and not playing at all with a lot of the guys Pike Badger mentioned not even making the active roster on gameday or even off the practice squad.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah we started players like Frank Zombo, HOward Green, CJ Wilson, Charlie Peprah, James Starks in the Superbowl. While guys like Brett Swain, rookie Andrew Quarless, Jarrett Bush and Patrick Lee all played a good amount of snaps. This team is going to have weaknesses next year there is no way around it but that doesn't automatically mean they can't win the Superbowl.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we started players like Frank Zombo, HOward Green, CJ Wilson, Charlie Peprah, James Starks in the Superbowl. While guys like Brett Swain, rookie Andrew Quarless, Jarrett Bush and Patrick Lee all played a good amount of snaps. This team is going to have weaknesses next year there is no way around it but that doesn't automatically mean they can't win the Superbowl.

I believe Pat Lee was our outside corner for the second half and Bush our nickel after injuries to Woodson and Shields.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep and 98% of the guys you listed are gone.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost Jones Hawk House and Williams. That's an upgrade already. Hayward will play corner Goodson will back him up and we will draft a DB within the first 3 rounds. At ILB we have a bevy of linebackers on our current roster who could switch to inside. Thomas Hubbard Bradford could make the switch. We also have Barrington who I thought played very well while in there. No matter what I think you will see Matthews playing there also at times to keep him moving around to fool offenses. I see them drafting an ILB within the first 3 rounds. At NT I would like them to resign Raji and draft a NT within the first 3 rounds. I really don't think there is any UFAs out there worth bringing in now. To sum it up stay status Quo Sign Raji and draft CB ILB and nose tackle with first 3 picks and I think we will be fine. We probably will get two bonus 4th rounders next year for Williams and House. You Rock Ted. This is how you play free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts