Move CB up draft board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I´m fine with having a mostly young roster. There´s not enough experience at ILB though with Barrington (367 total regular season snaps) being the only guy having played a single regular season snap at the position.

Agreed it's not ideal and I wasn't 100% sold on cutting Hawk for that reason, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather have ability than experience.

Which ILB did you have in mind? Spikes?

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed it's not ideal and I wasn't 100% sold on cutting Hawk for that reason, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather have ability than experience.

Which ILB did you have in mind? Spikes?

I was absolutely on board with releasing Hawk. IMO Spikes is by far the best option available in free agency and I don´t think he demands a huge contract.

Reaction score
I was absolutely on board with releasing Hawk. IMO Spikes is by far the best option available in free agency and I don´t think he demands a huge contract.

I like Hawk as a leader, but I guess you can't really be a leader if you're off the field most snaps. I'm with you on Spikes but I like what I've seen/ heard about Perryman and they're the same sort of player, as is Barrington. We can't have all three.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Hawk as a leader, but I guess you can't really be a leader if you're off the field most snaps. I'm with you on Spikes but I like what I've seen/ heard about Perryman and they're the same sort of player, as is Barrington. We can't have all three.

There´s no way the Packers would be able to use a combination of Barrington/Perryman/Spikes at ILB as none of them would be best suited to cover RBs and TEs. My best case scenario is to sign Spikes in free agency and add Kendricks in the draft.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait a second, so you two actually believe that two guys who were not good enough to wrest the starting job away from Tramon Williams (who by all accounts was a bottom tier cb last year) are just going to step in and everything is going to be golden? Really? Can you point me to some factual evidence to support this hypothesis?

If he was a bottom tier corner, then why worry about him leaving? This thread is acting like we have to replace Revis.

Hyde and Hayward are both young corners who have no reason to not get better. We just saw three rookies step in last season and play well.

Two seasons ago we had a 4th round LT step in and our offense was fine. That's was much more unlikely than a former 2nd round pick taking over our starting corner role.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is ESPN take on Williams:

"The numbers supported the argument that Williams got beat too often last season. According to ProFootballFocus.com, he allowed 10 touchdowns in 18 games, including the game-winner by Seattle's Jermaine Kearse in overtime of the NFC Championship Game. Opposing quarterbacks had a passer rating of 106.5 when targeting Williams last season, according to PFF. That number had never been higher than 85 in Williams' first seven seasons. He also allowed completions on 63.6 percent of the passes thrown his way, which also was the highest percentage of his career"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THere are a lot of ways to play defense. I think with the guys we have now, other than Shields, we'd be playing more zones and not so much one on one on the outside. It can be done and the defense could be just fine. Though we'd have to get much better up front and in the middle so the safeties can stay back and not need them in run support so much.

I'm just waiting till after the draft and then again until after I see some guys play. There are a lot of ways to win, and I'm pretty confident the guys in charge know what they're doing. They have options in this draft. Spread the picks out, go heavy on DL and LB if BAP fits there. They can draft from all over and our defense can improve. I think, assuming guion or raji are re-signed, our defense right now can be as good as last year. The only issue is depth because we could go from serviceable to huge holes in a hurry no matter how we try and play defense.

So while I see holes on this team, I think a lot can be done in this draft too and set this team up just fine.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 2010-11 season, when we won the Super Bowl, some of our major contributors on defense in one way or another included Sam Shields, Frank Zombo, Howard Green, Charlie Peprah, and Erik Walden. No doubt that on 3/16/10, none of us had even heard of any of these guys. Or if we had, we certainly didn't think anything of them.

My point is not we're necessarily going to have as good of a defense as that year, but that with a constantly evolving roster, a need in March will not necessarily mean a disaster in the fall, and we'll have contributors on this defense later this year that we still don't even know about yet.

There weren't nearly as many important questions about the 2010 defense. The Packers had the ninth overall pick at DT coming into his second season, as much as people liked to down him, Hawk was a decent ILB in 2009/2010 (better than any ILB on the Packers current roster) and the Packers in 2010 were FAR better in the secondary coming into the season. The questions about the 2010 defense were about your third corner, backup DL and one starting LB (Bishop sort of came out of nowhere). Compare that to 2015 where the questions are about starting corner, backup corner, starting NT and BOTH ILBs.

In 2010 the team had a fairly decent dline (Cullen Jenkins and BJ Raji were playing well by the time the playoffs rolled around). Clay was awesome that year and people forget that Desmond Bishop was PHENOMENAL that year (Bishop had something like 14 tackles, 3 pressures and 8 stops in the NCF Championship and Super Bowl). Most importantly, the Packers had one of the best corner tandems in the NFL with Woodson and Williams and, oh yeah, a guy named Nick Collins at safety. The 2010 team had very good ILBs, strong interior dlinemen and awesome safeties. And Walden only played 180 snaps in 2010 so I'm not sure he mattered a whole bunch.

I'm not attacking your point, I know you said you weren't stating the defense would be good. I just think the 2010 comparison is not even close. The questions are MUCH more important this year than in 2010.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was a bottom tier corner, then why worry about him leaving? This thread is acting like we have to replace Revis.

Hyde and Hayward are both young corners who have no reason to not get better. We just saw three rookies step in last season and play well.

Two seasons ago we had a 4th round LT step in and our offense was fine. That's was much more unlikely than a former 2nd round pick taking over our starting corner role.

You can't compare an offensive player to a defensive player. The team has Aaron Rodgers on offense. A great QB makes every position on offense better. Just look at the 15-1 season with Newhouse starting at LT. There's no position on defense (maybe the JJ Watt position) that affects the entire defense like a great QB affects the offense.

Also, the basis of this is off. Tramon Williams was one of the better corners in the NFL by the end of the season. Weeks 9-17 he was the 15th ranked CB by PFF (for the entire season he was 27th).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay let me attempt to bring some sunshine to this dreary thread:

Just pause your negativity and let's focus on the positive:

-We resigned THE best slot receiver and best free agent receiver out there...and for cheaper than he would have garnered elsewhere! We have Nelson/Cobb most likely until they are past their prime or done. Shoring up a studly WR corps with Adams/Janis/Abb/and most likely another draft pick. So :)!

-We resigned arguably a Top 10 RT and the best OT in Free Agency....and for a bargain some would argue, but not nearly as much of a bargain as Cobb gave us. These keeps one of the best OL we've had with a G on their helmets in a while...so :)!

-We escaped overpaying a unproven CB in House which would have ate a ton of cap and made the staff have to keep with him sink or swim....it's a knife blade decision that only time will tell but TT hasn't been wrong yet releasing someone so we shall see but no reason to frown yet... So :)!

-We dodged overpaying a 32 year old CB that no one will argue is still ascending ability wise. I know it sucks but if it would have been two steps backwards if we'd tied up that much Cap space on a old CB. Seriously this is worth smiling boys...so :)!

-We have key players on Defense that are showing great signs of growth and another year is only going to help more. Ha Ha was one of the best safeties in the league for the 2nd half of the season....I seriously am beginning to think we may have finally found a Collins replacement deep. Datone Jones growth is definitely starting to show and dude contributed last year and at times showed true signs of specialness (yup made that word up). Same could be said for Perry...I for one thought he'd gone stagnant but I truly think he's finally starting to see how it is done watching Mathews and Peppers and he is growing into someone we dare I say can count on for sure. So :)!

-We also have a guy Neal and probably Raji (when TT signs him) both trying to cash in one more time in a contract year...Neal is setting up nicely and so is Daniels for that matter....so :)!

Yes ILB, CB and DL are weak right now.....no one will argue that. However, just think how well we've done (contenders every year) with Hawk in there. Honestly we get a veteran ILB and draft an athletic one and it will be a HUGE upgrade....also we take a CB in the 1st-3rd round and it is very possible this Defense will be the best on paper it has been in years. ONLY time will tell...but stop worrying about the sky falling because it isn't yet. Now I'll be honest TT just needs to make a couple veteran signing along the DL (Red Bryant/Raji/Guion...) and ILB (Spikes...) and we are setting good for the best drafter in the business IMO. So.....:)

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay let me attempt to bring some sunshine to this dreary thread:

Just pause your negativity and let's focus on the positive:

-We resigned THE best slot receiver and best free agent receiver out there...and for cheaper than he would have garnered elsewhere! We have Nelson/Cobb most likely until they are past their prime or done. Shoring up a studly WR corps with Adams/Janis/Abb/and most likely another draft pick. So :)!

-We resigned arguably a Top 10 RT and the best OT in Free Agency....and for a bargain some would argue, but not nearly as much of a bargain as Cobb gave us. These keeps one of the best OL we've had with a G on their helmets in a while...so :)!

-We escaped overpaying a unproven CB in House which would have ate a ton of cap and made the staff have to keep with him sink or swim....it's a knife blade decision that only time will tell but TT hasn't been wrong yet releasing someone so we shall see but no reason to frown yet... So :)!

-We dodged overpaying a 32 year old CB that no one will argue is still ascending ability wise. I know it sucks but if it would have been two steps backwards if we'd tied up that much Cap space on a old CB. Seriously this is worth smiling boys...so :)!

-We have key players on Defense that are showing great signs of growth and another year is only going to help more. Ha Ha was one of the best safeties in the league for the 2nd half of the season....I seriously am beginning to think we may have finally found a Collins replacement deep. Datone Jones growth is definitely starting to show and dude contributed last year and at times showed true signs of specialness (yup made that word up). Same could be said for Perry...I for one thought he'd gone stagnant but I truly think he's finally starting to see how it is done watching Mathews and Peppers and he is growing into someone we dare I say can count on for sure. So :)!

-We also have a guy Neal and probably Raji (when TT signs him) both trying to cash in one more time in a contract year...Neal is setting up nicely and so is Daniels for that matter....so :)!

Yes ILB, CB and DL are weak right now.....no one will argue that. However, just think how well we've done (contenders every year) with Hawk in there. Honestly we get a veteran ILB and draft an athletic one and it will be a HUGE upgrade....also we take a CB in the 1st-3rd round and it is very possible this Defense will be the best on paper it has been in years. ONLY time will tell...but stop worrying about the sky falling because it isn't yet. Now I'll be honest TT just needs to make a couple veteran signing along the DL (Red Bryant/Raji/Guion...) and ILB (Spikes...) and we are setting good for the best drafter in the business IMO. So.....:)

Let´s take an objective look at what has happened to the Packers defense since they last hit the field at Seattle during the NFCCG.

Thompson has added a single player to the unit in Josh Francis who played in the Indoor Football League before signing with the Packers. In addition the team will get Andy Mulumba, Nate Palmer, Luther Robinson and Khyri Thonrton back from injured reserve.

On the other side the Packers have lost A.J. Hawk, Davon House, Brad Jones and Tramon Williams in free agency and as of right now B.J. Raji, Letroy Guion, Jarrett Bush and Jamari Lattimore are free agents.

I don´t think anyone would argue that the defense is better at the moment than they were at the end of last season. There´s still time left to bring in free agents and the draft is still more than a month away.

So, is there reason to be concerned about the direction the defense is headed??? HELL YEAH!!!

Reason to panic??? WAY TOO EARLY!!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, is there reason to be concerned about the direction the defense is headed??? HELL YEAH!!!

This^^^^!!!

No logical fan would say we CURRENTLY are better. But like we both want say we sign Spikes and get a ILB in the 1st or 2nd. We sign Raji, maybe Guion and a guy like Bryant in FA. We also draft an outside CB in the 1st-3rd. Add depth at the DL with a pick, a second ILB drafted in mid-late rounds and not to mention maybe bring back Lattimore for a one year deal cuz the guy has potential....

Now that is a lot, but I see it all truly possibly happening....if so we are setting better than we ended everywhere save CB...and that could change depending on what happens before the season starts in progression of Goodson or the draftees.

H

HardRightEdge

Let´s take an objective look at what has happened to the Packers defense since they last hit the field at Seattle during the NFCCG.

Thompson has added a single player to the unit in Josh Francis who played in the Indoor Football League before signing with the Packers. In addition the team will get Andy Mulumba, Nate Palmer, Luther Robinson and Khyri Thonrton back from injured reserve.

On the other side the Packers have lost A.J. Hawk, Davon House, Brad Jones and Tramon Williams in free agency and as of right now B.J. Raji, Letroy Guion, Jarrett Bush and Jamari Lattimore are free agents.

I don´t think anyone would argue that the defense is better at the moment than they were at the end of last season. There´s still time left to bring in free agents and the draft is still more than a month away.

I'd never apply the word "panic" to a spectator sport. In this particular case it's a matter of risk.

Capers' defense is complicated, with an array of alignments, personnel packages, assignments. The so-called second year jump is a mental process, it's highly hit or miss, and there are a lot more misses than hits. It's easier to see the potential of the untested players on the roster than to go back and look at the guys who washed out before the second contract or who settle into rotational, spot or special teams duty.

One guy who "doesn't get it", who misses reads and assignments beyond an acceptable level (e.g., M.D. Jennings), can be very costly. The risk rises as the number of untested guys on the field goes up.

Assignment-sure if unspectacular vets complement the core players to provide some needed rebar in the concrete of the Capers defense which has proven brittle in recent years. Inexperience at 2, 3 or 4 positions presents high risk.

H

HardRightEdge

Hawk did a decent job in base-only after the bye. However, in the same personnel rotation, with Matthews going to the middle in nickel, Spikes would be a clear upgrade over Hawk in base. I don't think there's a better downhill smash-mouth ILB in the league, and he couldn't possibly be worse than Hawk in coverage if the defense is caught in bad rotation match-ups. He'd bring that physical presence in the middle of the field that has been lacking since Bishop went down.

You wouldn't want Bishop in the middle in a 4-3, which is why he was not a great fit in Buffalo as they made the conversion from 3-4. Strong side ILB in 3-4 would be the better fit for him.

My only concern with this approach is that Barrington seems to be a better fit for the strong side, with a speedier and more athletic guy with coverage skills as a complement. Still, as a third linebacker getting a lot of snaps against run-oriented teams (as he was used in Buffalo) and for short yardage/goal line, he'd be a valuable addition.

Spikes came to the Bills in free agency last off season and was made captain before preseason ended on an outstanding veteran defense. So you're getting a good locker room guy and a leader.

And if we look around, we see that 2-down ILBs usually don't command a lot of money.

H

HardRightEdge

There´s no way the Packers would be able to use a combination of Barrington/Perryman/Spikes at ILB as none of them would be best suited to cover RBs and TEs. My best case scenario is to sign Spikes in free agency and add Kendricks in the draft.
That's right. Everybody likes Perryman for his smash-mouth aggressiveness. Spikes would bring the same quality in spades, along with experience and leadership, while freeing up a pick for either an ILB with a better coverage and 3-down prospectus or to fill one of the other defensive needs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hawk did a decent job in base-only after the bye. However, in the same personnel rotation, with Matthews going to the middle in nickel, Spikes would be a clear upgrade over Hawk in base. I don't think there's a better downhill smash-mouth ILB in the league, and he couldn't possibly be worse than Hawk in coverage if the defense is caught in bad rotation match-ups. He'd bring that physical presence in the middle of the field that has been lacking since Bishop went down.

You wouldn't want Bishop in the middle in a 4-3, which is why he was not a great fit in Buffalo as they made the conversion from 3-4. Strong side ILB in 3-4 would be the better fit for him.

My only concern with this approach is that Barrington seems to be a better fit for the strong side, with a speedier and more athletic guy with coverage skills as a complement. Still, as a third linebacker getting a lot of snaps against run-oriented teams (as he was used in Buffalo) and for short yardage/goal line, he'd be a valuable addition.

Spikes came to the Bills in free agency last off season and was made captain before preseason ended on an outstanding veteran defense. So you're getting a good locker room guy and a leader.

And if we look around, we see that 2-down ILBs usually don't command a lot of money.

I would actually expect Spikes to be ahead of Barrington on the depth chart. The Packers would still need a more athletic ILB capable of covering RBs and TEs, hence why I would like them to draft Kendricks.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the front office learned last year that you can't keep turning to young players on this defense. Blame Capers all you want but the front office are the people that continually try and rely on young players to learn and perform in a difficult scheme. I'm not condemning the front office as of now, they could make some moves to bring in some vets but if they go into the season relying on rookies at ILB/CB/NT then the front office should be the ones blamed if/when the defense falls flat again.

To be clear, Thompson is one of the best GMs in the NFL. I'm not trying to argue otherwise. However, I AM beginning to question if his style of building the team meshes well with Capers' defense. That's neither persons fault, it's just not a great fit.

H

HardRightEdge

There are a lot of ways to play defense. I think with the guys we have now, other than Shields, we'd be playing more zones and not so much one on one on the outside.
That's right, though not the cover-2 variety. Capers has never been a hang-back-in-cover-2-all-day kind of guy. Certainly we see it, such as in dime/long yardage, but it's not his bread and butter.

Capers defense, and the 3-4 in general, is known for it's zone blitzes. That takes a lot of forms, as noted in the following link:

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/...as-come-a-long-way-since-the-advent-of-the-34

While Capers occasionally drops a lineman (as noted in the Raji pick-six example), it's used sparingly, and hardly at all last year, probably because of the available personnel.

What should jump out in the link as very familiar is the "smoke" version of zone blitz Capers ran in Pittsburgh. "Smoke"...disguise...Capers. Capers base and nickel scheme is comprised of variations of this theme.

Capers defenses blitz a lot, always in or near the top 5 in blitz frequency in the league, and the diagram of the Steeler "smoke" version of zone blitz typifies what we've seen in Green Bay since Capers arrival. It also serves to illustrate why the Packers have favored Hayward as the presumptive replacement at cover corner rather than pay to retain an incumbents.

Hayward's high INT/per target numbers derive from his play in zone; he's been far less effective in man coverage. He has a knack for reading the play and the QB. He doesn't have the speed to cover man-for-man against vertical routes. But plug him into the route-jumping role Woodson describes (left corner in the diagram) with the single safety (Dix) over the top, the personnel mix becomes clear. That leaves the right corner (Shields) to drop in man coverage, which is his strength. Shields is not the same player in zone, and has whiffed jumping routes over the years. Burnett's rising as one the league's best strong safeties in the league, and is highly productive in the box. In this example, he's blitzing.

It also illustrates why speed and coverage skill is favored at at least one of the 3-4 ILB positions and preferably both if one can find and keep smart, skilled 3-down players. There's no safety in the middle of the field. The ILBs have to drop, might be covering a seam route without help, maybe a RB moving to the slot or running a wheel route. If they bite on play action, they're toast...recovery and long speed is at a premium.

This diagram illustrates what I mean when I say the offense does not tell you their play in advance. Note this a a base defense against an offensive run set with two backs with an inline TE. And they're throwing the ball. This could be 1st. and 10, 2nd. and 3, etc.

So, the basic logic should be fairly clear as regards the personnel mix.

Now lets look at a few of the the risks.

To take just one example, if the offense runs out a 3-wide set on first down, and sets or shifts the TE or the TB to the slot or out wide (something familiar to Packer fans from the Finley days), that version of zone blitz is vulnerable, the defense must adjust, and might need to switch to man depending on the match ups. The better the coverage skills of the ILBs, the less likely the scheme is upset. Ergo, Hawk's and Jones' departures.

When adjustments must be made into man coverage, Hayward is vulnerable. As the Captain noted, Hayward's brief work at cover corner yields a high INT per target percentage, a low catch per target ratio, but a high yards per catch number...great in the short zone backed by a safety; vulnerable in man coverage. There's a trade off that's evidently being accepted. Striking gold with another Shields-like rookie might make the coaches' recent Heyward-Woodson comparison more plausible. With Shield's emergence and Woodson's losing a step, Woodson was moved around in a freelance/playmaking role out of slot/linebacker in nickel that might suit Hayward better than cover corner.

Expecting Hayward to be Woodson or a Shields-like player emerging is, however, beyond reasonable expectation. A somewhat lesser version of that scenario would be a happy circumstance.

Further, any single-high safety scheme puts a lot of pressure on Shields. We accept that. That's why cover corners playing on the island, including Shields, get paid what they do. Nobody gets by him in off coverage.

And the key to the whole shebang is the pass rush/blitz getting pressure to minimize the vertical and seam exposures. Again this is a base D against a passing play...which helps explain why Matthews was not playing ILB in base.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I was hoping House would be retained for a reasonable price. However, if they didn’t think he was the answer starting opposite Shields, he was gone because he understandably wants to starts. Failing that I was hoping Tramon would be re-signed to a contract which would be in effect a two year deal: He would have acted as a “bridge” to the next starting CB. IMO both were overpaid in UFA but if Thompson was interested in retaining either his error was not approaching one of them – most likely Tramon - more aggressively before UFA started. (From what was reported, that didn’t happen.) I understand Cobb and Bulaga were the priorities but the Packers organization can certainly negotiate with multiple agents at the same time. By letting both test UFA they can’t be surprised both are gone.

What I believe that means is they are sold on Hayward being the starting CB opposite Shields. Certainly having HHCD with another year of experience along with a rejuvenated Burnett behind him should help. Hyde returns at nickel. Except for depth (not insignificant) the only change is Hayward replaces Williams in the starting lineup. If you believe the PFF numbers on Williams, Hayward should be able to match his numbers. But I also saw Tramon get better later in the season (along with the defense overall) and Hayward will have a challenge to match that play.

According to McGinn’s end of season report card, Matthews played about 28% of the time inside; Hawk played the majority of the rest of those snaps inside (when two ILBs were on the field). McCarthy said Matthews would play inside again this season and Clay said he was OK with it. Hawk’s snaps have to be replaced and as we all know right now there’s not an experienced ILB ready to play those snaps. Palmer, Bradford, Thomas, Francis, and at least one draftee will vie for those snaps. The first three have been in the playbook for a year and Palmer has played a few snaps in preseason. But just naming a bunch of names doesn’t mean anything since none of them have taken a snap in the regular season. I understand HRE’s point about bringing back Hawk for experienced depth but I was ready to see him go and I haven’t changed my opinion. I’d rather have a better player physically who makes an occasional mistake than a player who knows his assignments “perfectly” but whose body doesn’t allow him to exercise them well.

On the DL if Guion returns, after his suspension the DL will be the same, won’t it? If Raji or a UFA DL is signed, some experienced depth will have been added.

Don’t get me wrong, I was really hoping Tramon or House were coming back at a reasonable cost, and right now the D isn’t as good as it was last season. But I don’t think it’s as far off as some are suggesting. If Thompson doesn’t sign any FAs, certainly they’ll need significant contributions from inexperienced vets and rookies, both to start and provide depth. (Like many of you, I prefer Thompson sign a couple of UFAs.) One positive going into next season with regard to the front 7 is if they can adequately replace Hawk – and I believe they will - they’ll start off where they left off, after the midseason switch of Clay to part time inside duty. The D got significantly better after the bye with the same personnel.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So, I think people are mostly worried about depth. Besides last year, we seem to lose a lot of people to injury and putting rookies in place of a vet when someone goes down isn't ideal. It has worked out so far, but mostly on the offensive side of the ball. Defense hasn't been our strong suit in the draft. This team is poised for a Superbowl run this year, but that's going to be hard if we are missing half our defensive starters and they are replaced with players with little to no experience.

That being said, Tramon was getting burnt quite a bit and I think people are worrying a little too much. Free agency isn't quite over and there is a crap ton of talent at the cornerback position in this year's draft. If we look at it this way I'm able to relax:

We need to sign Raji and Guion. Then we only have to look for depth in the later rounds for NT and D-line. Then all we are looking at is early ILB and CB. I think it's possible to address that early and come out fine. Plus TT will probably add someone after everyone is all done pulling out their hair.

H

HardRightEdge

So, I think people are mostly worried about depth.
Depth, flexabiliy in match-ups, experience to deal with Capers variations, some speed at ILB and #3 cover corner, and a depleted D-Line that wasn't all that good to begin with. I think that about covers it. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I would actually expect Spikes to be ahead of Barrington on the depth chart. The Packers would still need a more athletic ILB capable of covering RBs and TEs, hence why I would like them to draft Kendricks.
I agree in the sense that the typical depth chart illustrates the generic base defense. I would see the Spikes/Barrington decision as more a game-by-game match-up choice in base. Pass-oriented teams lacking a robust between-the-tackles runner would favor Barrington. Against a poor passer with a decent running game, I'd see Spikes getting more snaps. Spikes would be a no-brainer in short yardage and goal line.

Buffalo used Spikes in this way. Against the Packers, Buffalo used nickel all day with Spikes on the bench. Against lesser QBs, Spikes got as many as 40 snaps.

As an aside, I can't say enough about the Bills fast rising nickel LB combo of Brown/Bradham, with Brown perfectly capable of manning the ILB spot in a 3-LB set if they're not keen on Ty Powell in that role. Those guys are the reason the Bills traded Alonzo and seem to be in no hurry to get Spikes back, if they have any interest at all. Spikes being available is about the Bills talent at the LB position, not any deminishment of Spikes' ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.