most under rated and over rated Packer player?

Farvetowebster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
over rated goes to Bj raji imo...better offensive player imo..lol..watched him get pushed around sunday.

under rated would have to be starks...i think if healthy and given attempts he will be very good.

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated- hawk. Never been crazy about him. That said, I didn't see him in college, and from what I've heard, he was phenomenal.

Underrated- bulaga. When you don't hear about a lineman, that's usually a good thing. I don't remember him committing many (any?) false starts. He was solid as a rookie, and only gotten better IMO.

KYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji is by no means overrated to me. His job is to take on 2 (or more) blockers and let the other guys get the pressure of his double team...we just don't have the other guys that can get to the QB. Shields took a huge step back this year to me.

Agree on Hawk...vastly overrated IMO. Also agree that Starks can be a 1100 yard rusher in the NFL in he can stay on the field.

Reaction score
Overrated: Hawk - he does have some good days though.

Underrated: Morgan Burnett - he is a pro bowl caliber safety and he has basically finished his rookie year since he missed almost all of last season.

Notable underrated: Bulaga, Starks, Scott Wells, Nick Collins (look what happened to the defense with him missing this year)

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
overrated: (at this point) Jermicheal Finley- I think he does have the talent to be one of the best tight ends in the league but at this point i'd consider him overrated

Under: I agree with bryan bulaga and scott wells for sure. I'll say randall cobb As a receiver- not including special teams. He's caught the ball almost every time he's been targeted and seems to get good yardage after the catch. He made a really nice catch in the giants game i thought (or maybe it seemed better just because someone actually caught the ball).

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Over rated- Toss up between Cobbs and Finley. You can be the fastest, most agile runner in the league but it's all for naut if you can't hold on to the ball.

Under rated- Woodson. Yes, he is definitely recognized as being a great player but I don't think there is another on the team that plays with as much passion.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over rated- Toss up between Cobbs and Finley. You can be the fastest, most agile runner in the league but it's all for naut if you can't hold on to the ball.

Under rated- Woodson. Yes, he is definitely recognized as being a great player but I don't think there is another on the team that plays with as much passion.

He needs to be moved to safety. If you watch him cover corners, anytime the WR changes direction more than twice, Woodson holds or is beat. Woodson will become an All-Pro safety because of his instincts. Also, even with Collins out Woodson will communicate with the backfield just fine.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't see how Hawk is overrated. Pretty sure everyone knows what he is by now. I'm skipping overrated cause I don't know..

Underrated: Nick Collins. Well this season showed how valuable he was. Scott Wells, Brian Bulaga, Tim Masthay.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated: Kuhn. Only good for blocking. Then when they keep him in to block, the defense blitzes an extra to offset, so it is a wash. Line up another wideout or TE, have Rodgers throw more quick slants instead of always looking to throw 30 yards down the field, convert those third and shorts, and I'll be happy once again. The fullback in the last 5years is no longer a needed postion. In this offense, you rarely line up with two backs, so why have a fullback?

Underrated: Mastay. Remember when we didn't have a good punter? I do. A good punter is a very valuable weapon. You never hear ONE peep out of anyone on this forum talking about our punting -EVER anymore. That, is a great and underappreciated thing...

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated: Finley

Underrated: Hawk (based on the number of people here calling him overrated). I wouldn't mind someone else on defense getting the radio so we could rotate him more according to the down and distance. He's our best LB against the the power run but his pursuit isn't as quick as some of the others. I think he's a bit more crafty in coverage than some give him credit for.

He needs to be moved to safety. If you watch him cover corners, anytime the WR changes direction more than twice, Woodson holds or is beat. Woodson will become an All-Pro safety because of his instincts. Also, even with Collins out Woodson will communicate with the backfield just fine.

I think some of Woodson's grabbing was the product of frustration in trying to defend outside his current skill set. The shift from bump and run coverage this season has made Woodson look worse than he is. Our CBs were being asked to play zone when they would rather jam at the line of scrimmage. If we can pressure opposing QBs and return to bump and run coverage, I think Woodson improves. Not sure if he has the speed to play safety, either.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Underrated: Hawk (based on the number of people here calling him overrated). I wouldn't mind someone else on defense getting the radio so we could rotate him more according to the down and distance. He's our best LB against the the power run but his pursuit isn't as quick as some of the others. I think he's a bit more crafty in coverage than some give him credit for.

I think some of Woodson's grabbing was the product of frustration in trying to defend outside his current skill set. The shift from bump and run coverage this season has made Woodson look worse than he is. Our CBs were being asked to play zone when they would rather jam at the line of scrimmage. If we can pressure opposing QBs and return to bump and run coverage, I think Woodson improves. Not sure if he has the speed to play safety, either.

Overrated: Dom Capers
Underrated: Offense for most of the season!

That is something I noticed a lot too this year, we were giving a lot of room to WR's even 3rd we let them go free and were pretty bad on 3rd down efficieny!

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understad why everyone hates on Hawk... I know that he is not up to everyone's standards here, but that is because he is not play well in the 3-4. His area of expertise is the 4-3. He dominated in that defense at OSU. I am not trying to make excuses for the man. And maybe I have some bias for him. I live 10 minutes from where he grew up and a good friend of mine played high school ball with him and talks to him occasionally. Hawk says it himself that he does not like playing the 3-4. For reasons I don't know. But that potential is their. Maybe not in this scheme, but if we could get back to a 4-3, I am pretty sure we would se his game elevate, and also Matthews. Probably would get more pressure of QB's to be honest with you.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but if we could get back to a 4-3, I am pretty sure we would se his game elevate, and also Matthews. Probably would get more pressure of QB's to be honest with you.

Yes, I am not a very big fan of the 3-4 and the three fat linemen scheme. Move Raji and Pick to DT and give me two athletic pass rushers on the outside along with athletic outside linebackers. Put pressure on the quarterback, drop that silly zone defense that was picked apart all season, and move up and challenge the receivers at the line of scrimmage. Take Hawk out on passing downs and replace with Shields as the nickel. Then start calling Green Bay Titletown again...

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is definitely not overrated. He is consistently our leader, or close to it, in tackles every year and he's usually good for a few sacks and a pick or two on the season. He's also very beastly against the run, I wouldn't have anyone else replace him right now. He's extremely consistent, and that's what you want out of a LB.. not every player can be amazing.

I would also agree that Kuhn is a tad overrated in the sense that he gets so much love from the crowd when he carries the ball. Every now and then he picks up a first down and scores, but the majority of the time he just doesn't pick up very much yardage and doesn't find the hole for the 3rd/4th and shorts. I like the guy, but he's not the greatest..

Underrated goes to Bulaga. He's our youngest offensive lineman and without a doubt our best one, I've seem him repeatedly handle the most ferocious pass rushers in the game. If we could get another one like him on the other side, we would have the best O-line in the game.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any body have insight on why/when we moved from playing a lot of bump and run (our top two CBS best strengths imo) to dropping into these zones that got picked apart all year?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any body have insight on why/when we moved from playing a lot of bump and run (our top two CBS best strengths imo) to dropping into these zones that got picked apart all year?

Probably because the Peprah/Burnett combo at safety didn't allow us to do that. To play bump coverage consistently you absolutely must have reliable help over the top.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We did play some man, but we also played a lot of zone and did some 3-man rushing packages. The thing with defense is you can't use the same scheme every year, teams find out ways to break it down and beat it. I think however the main reason was a lack of a pass rush. In order to consistently play pure man-to-man coverages well you need two things:

1.) A REALLY good pass rush. If you have no pass rush you can't play man coverage, because receivers get open way too fast. We had zero pass rush, so we have to play more zone this year. If we get a decent pass rush during a game, we play more man coverage.

2.) The loss of Nick Collins and the age of Charles Woodson make playing man to man more difficult. We have the athletic ability back there, but the coordination just wasn't there for us this year. If Nick Collins remains healthy we can move Woodson around a lot more, giving out speedsters like Shields and Williams the ability to play man to man.

Reaction score
Okay, Burnett may be a bit underrated, but you just overrated him. He is definitely NOT a pro bowl safety today. He has a ways to go.
No, Profootballfocus.com (Who analyzes every players performance from every game) has said numerous times that he should have been in the pro bowl this year. They talked about how he has vastly improved since he got injured last year. They said once he goes back to Strong Safety, he will most likely get voted into the pro bowl by the players/coaches. Pretty good for a guy that played half the season with a club on one hand as a safety.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, Profootballfocus.com (Who analyzes every players performance from every game) has said numerous times that he should have been in the pro bowl this year.

Well, first off, I'm not sure what makes that website an authority on the matter. Second, I went there and searched "morgan burnett" and I couldn't find anything that mentioned him going to the Pro Bowl. He wasn't on their "Top 10 snubs" list or anywhere that I could find. He wasn't mentioned in their Dec. 23 article titled "PFF's NFC Pro Bowl Squad" either, not even as an honorable mention.

Sorry. Burnett just isn't anywhere near a Pro Bowl safety at this point in his career. Anyone who has seen every game this year has seen him whiff plenty of tackles and blow enough coverages to know this. He's got a lot of potential, but he's nowhere near Collins's level yet.