Most Heartbreaking Playoff Loss in Packers History?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Without any doubt the loss in Lambeau in 2003. I know streaks end but I really didn't see that one coming. The Packers became mortal at Lambeau for the first time.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milani has the best post....
1,2,3 dead on

Seriously...... I JUST woke up just the other day.... a random day in August 2012....opened my eyes and said "4th and 26th....REALLLLLY"

ughhhh WTF

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game against Cardinals in first playoff appearance of Aaron Rodgers, it was heartbreaking because we did a big comeback in the last minutes and we couldnt won in the overtime with a BIG mistake of the referee, those facemask hurt us.
True but blame Rodgers because he had Jennings wide open on a bomb 1 or 2 plays before that sack-fumble, and had he delivered it, it would have been perhaps the greatest Packer playoff victory ever.... outside of a Super Bowl.
And it would have been a Rodgers Signature Moment.

And that offense IMO, coming down the stretch in that 2009 season, WAS BETTER than the Super Bowl year offense. It was just that the defense sucked as it did last year. Somehow the 2010 defense played great in between those bad 2 years.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game against Cardinals in first playoff appearance of Aaron Rodgers, it was heartbreaking because we did a big comeback in the last minutes and we couldnt won in the overtime with a BIG mistake of the referee, those facemask hurt us.
can't decide what hurt more, seeing something that close just crash into nothing after a long fought out game or watching the Giants run all over us with nowhere for us to go last season ..

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The '08 playoff loss to the Giants still hurts everytime i think about it. I know we would have beat the Patsies in the SuperBowl. Farse and his illtimed ints. cost us alot of games. ugh!!

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl 32
2003-2004 Divisional loss to Phillie
2011-2012 loss to Giants
2007-2008 loss to Giants
1998-1999 Wild Card loss to 49ers

Super Bowl 32 because the Packers had a chance and you've got to want those championships when they are that close. As the next decade-plus proved, getting there is not easy.

The Phillie game because the Packers were a very good team that year. The Packers did go down a notch after Holmgren, but were still one of the top teams in the NFL, particularly the NFC. But they had better chances some seasons than others and 2003 was one of those seasons. Ahman Green had a top tier season and the Packers had the second best point differential in the league. They were appreciably better than Eagles that particular year (the Eagles were after all on a four NFCCG's in a row streak). But they blew it, Sherman a goodly part of it. Of course a few years later when it was time for Sherman to pack up, Favre didn't want "evolution" and publicly stated he probably would go if Sherman were canned. It was the real first sign of Favre heading to the Dark Side.

2011 for obvious reasons. The Packers were the best team in the league. They had so much overall potency. Teams with such potency make the Super Bowl and generally win it. Washing out in the divisional round is not acceptable.

2007 because it is somewhere between 2003 and 2011. Of the post mid-90's window of opportunity 2007 is right along with the other two as far as "you've got to take what you can while you can". 2007, while a bit surprising, was a very good team and was the next best chance to get something historic done. But like '03 it went washing down the drain.

The '98-'99 49er game because it was the final salvo of that mid-90's window of opportunity. You could just sense that whatever gas that was put in the tank going into '96 was pretty much gone. And the last second defeat after a poor non-call.

Suffice it to say, when one tosses in the Atlanta game and the Minnesota game in the early 2000's, there has been a lot of disappointment. For a team that is only 1.5 games out of having the best regular season record over the last 20 years, and have the best winning % against playoff caliber teams played in the regular season, there's room for the belief that the Packers should have been a little more "in the gold" as far as championships. Maybe it's being spoiled, but there is some logic for being disappointed by the lack of ultimate success given the regular season display of potency. Don't want to ruin a good thing by dwelling on it, but it's there.

And the biggest reason for the fall off from the regular season to the post season was pushing the give aways beyond tolerance. Single elimination tournaments is not the best time to try and find where the give away saturation point is. It's just that more annoying that Favre was front and center in those give aways but, in the endless effort to apologize on his behalf, there are plenty of people who will run down the rest of the team even though Favre had a 59.5 composite QB rating over 6 playoff washout games from '98-'07. Unfortunately the Packers still have had a habit of giving the ball away these last few years as well. When they didn't, they won it all.

Ergo, heartbreak and give aways go hand in hand. Here's hoping that the Pack can find a way to hang onto the ball come playoff time.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Did Freddy Mitchell do "The Belt" after he made that catch on 4th and 26??? I think he did... 1:19 into the video... SMH

1. SB XXXII
2. NFCCG Giants 08
3. Div Giants 12

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Hate to bring up such a sour topic but somebody brought up 4th and 26 (which I still have nightmares about to this day) So I decided to start this thread.

What in your opinion is the most heartbreaking loss/losses in Packers history?

Here's mine:

#3 2003 NFC Wild Card Game @ Green Bay
All I can remember of this game is Micheal Vick running up and down the Packers all game for their first home playoff loss in history. And getting a punt blocked. And how I never wanted to feel that feeling again. It was new for me, but gross.

#2 2008 NFC Championship Game @ Green Bay
Brett Favre brought us back late in the game as our hero. And aided by a missed Lawrence Tynes missed field goal we headed to overtime. We won the toss we elected to recieve. Yeah I thought as long as Brett doesn't make a stupid play we'll win were my exact thoughts. Then Brett Favre dropped back and threw what was just an ill-advised throw to Greg Jennings (I think) which ended up being tremendously under thrown and got picked off. The Giants already in our territory only had to kick a chip in field goal. (Which admittedly was no easy task that night with that weather)

#1 2004 NFC Divisional Game @ Green Bay
Ahh. Yes. I'm just gonna post this video and let us never speak of this travesty again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
These 3 and the loss to the rams when favre threw 6 picks.

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with Shawn, I remember the 2004 NFC Divisional Playoffs, when Favre was playing for his dad, it was an excitingly close game, up to the point where I saw Favre cocked back and hurled the ball. I'll remember till the day I die, the moment the ball left his hand, I knew and jumped up screaming "NOOO!!!!!!!!" I think I might of thrown something at the tv, but the frustration and sorrow has clouded my memory. It was there, a story book ending, by Favre as a tribute to his late Father, a Super Bowl victory..... lost

Cheesehead 786

Go Pack! Go Blue!
Reaction score
1. 2011 vs. Giants, if we got past them we would have very well gone on to the Super Bowl and been remembered as one of the greatest teams in history. Better than those miserable '85 Bears.
2. 4th & 26
3. Vick beating us at home
4. 2007 vs. Giants

PackersandPokemon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me personally, it's the 2008 Championship Game... We combined the game with my birthday party, and I cried when we lost. Poor, young me.

H

HardRightEdge

5) 1960 Championship, 17-13. You may forget this one but I did not. Getting stopped at the 8 yard line on the last play of the game. Lombardi's only playoff loss. We had so many chances in the first half and should have put up 30.

I'm glad you mentioned the '60 Championship loss to the Van Brocklin Eagles. I was 5 years old at the time and don't have a specific recollection of it, but I can imagine the disappointment Packer fans must have felt. While the subsequent 5 Lombardi championships no doubt dulled the pain of that loss in the collective memory, losing that game would have felt at the time equivalent to the reaction if we had lost the '96 season SB. In both cases, dynasties had fallen on hard times for the better part of two decades, only to rise again to the championship game.

It's also worth noting we dominated the Eagles in that game...77 offensive plays to their 48 gives an indication. I'm not sure if the famed Lombardi quote, "We didn't lose the game, we just ran out of time", was made in reference to this game, but it would have been apt.

Anybody who has some time to kill (which I would judge to be few here, lol), check out the 50 minute condensed replay of the game:

Give it 5 minutes...you might get drawn in. It's worth watching just to see why Jim Taylor and Norm Van Brocklin could have starred in any era, and the finesse of the Packer O-line play (besides the power sweeps, there's a lot of nifty interior trap blocking). It's easy to forget that besides being a guy who could run over people, Taylor had quick feet, outstanding balance and body control, and a burst to the edge. You'll see him doing some fine pass catching and blocking here as well.

PackersandPokemon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned the '60 Championship loss to the Van Brocklin Eagles. I was 5 years old at the time and don't have a specific recollection of it, but I can imagine the disappointment Packer fans must have felt.

This was definitely before my time, but there is one redeeming quality of that game: after losing to the Eagles, Lombardi said to the team, "This will never happen again." And the Eagles have not won another league championship since (he was referring to our team losing, but hating on Philly is always fun).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was definitely before my time, but there is one redeeming quality of that game: after losing to the Eagles, Lombardi said to the team, "This will never happen again." And the Eagles have not won another league championship since (he was referring to our team losing, but hating on Philly is always fun).

And that was the exact time I became a Packer fan. My allegiance has been rewarded many times....except for those 70 and 80 years. :(

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is too bad Forrest Gregg and Starr didn't make as great of coaches as they did players/team leaders.

It was more than just coaching. Drafting guys like Jerry Tagge, Barry and Barty Smith, Rich Campbell. And those were just the first round draft picks. Trading away a boat load of picks for John Hadl. It's a wonder I'm still alive. :(

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. SB XXXII
2. '98 wildcard game versus the 9ers
3. '08 NFC Championship versus the Giants
4. 4th and 26
5. Vick and co.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned the '60 Championship loss to the Van Brocklin Eagles. I was 5 years old at the time and don't have a specific recollection of it, but I can imagine the disappointment Packer fans must have felt. While the subsequent 5 Lombardi championships no doubt dulled the pain of that loss in the collective memory, losing that game would have felt at the time equivalent to the reaction if we had lost the '96 season SB. In both cases, dynasties had fallen on hard times for the better part of two decades, only to rise again to the championship game.

It's also worth noting we dominated the Eagles in that game...77 offensive plays to their 48 gives an indication. I'm not sure if the famed Lombardi quote, "We didn't lose the game, we just ran out of time", was made in reference to this game, but it would have been apt.

Anybody who has some time to kill (which I would judge to be few here, lol), check out the 50 minute condensed replay of the game:

Give it 5 minutes...you might get drawn in. It's worth watching just to see why Jim Taylor and Norm Van Brocklin could have starred in any era, and the finesse of the Packer O-line play (besides the power sweeps, there's a lot of nifty interior trap blocking). It's easy to forget that besides being a guy who could run over people, Taylor had quick feet, outstanding balance and body control, and a burst to the edge. You'll see him doing some fine pass catching and blocking here as well.

Thanks for posting this. Brought back many memories of bygone days.
Yes, we should have won that game. In some ways it was similar to the 4th and 26 game against the Eagles in that we had a lot of missed opportunities.
Note: 1)Hornung misses a 23 yard FG before halftime. He got hurt and is replaced by Tom Moore in 2nd half.
2) We have 4th and 2 twice deep in Eagle territory and we run quick hitter power plays and come up short.
On the road in post season you kick the FGs. In Starr's later years he was more apt to use play action
on 4th and short.
3) As much as you want a running game in the red zone, nowadays we have a roll out QB who can hit
athletic receivers in the corner of the end zone. We came up empty this day in the red zone.
4) Ref's blew the call on the McGee fumble. Ground cannot cause a fumble. Just as bad as the Rice miscall.
5) Lombardi loved to run the ball and he had the machine to do it. But his game plan was a little too
conservative even on a slick winter field. With Dowler and McGee he had wideouts who could go up and
get the long ball. If we have a good lead then wear them down. We should have put up 30 in this one.

In retrospect you must remember that this was 1960, our first Lombardi playoff game. The team was talented and was getting even better in the next couple seasons. We were just a season past going 1-10-1 and in the basement.
What is beautiful to watch is the powerful drive and precision blocking of our offensive line, the swift hitting quick openers of Taylor and Hornung in a SPLIT backfield. ( Not this eye formation in which it takes the RB a week to get to the line of scrimmage.) Defensive linemen like Henry Jordan, Willie Davis, and Bubba Forester who can play EVERY down and go sideline to sideline. Don't see that today.

Stop to think if Lombardi wins this one he has his 3 consecutive titles even earlier with 1961 and 1962 ahead.
Then move forward to 1963 when we go 11-2-1. The Bears go 11-1-2. We had that season right there also.
The Bears rally for two 4th quarter desparation ties 17-17 and somehow come from behind late to beat the Lions on the final day of the season. The great what ifs.

H

HardRightEdge

Thanks for posting this. Brought back many memories of bygone days.
Yes, we should have won that game. In some ways it was similar to the 4th and 26 game against the Eagles in that we had a lot of missed opportunities.
Note: 1)Hornung misses a 23 yard FG before halftime. He got hurt and is replaced by Tom Moore in 2nd half.
2) We have 4th and 2 twice deep in Eagle territory and we run quick hitter power plays and come up short.
On the road in post season you kick the FGs. In Starr's later years he was more apt to use play action
on 4th and short.
3) As much as you want a running game in the red zone, nowadays we have a roll out QB who can hit
athletic receivers in the corner of the end zone. We came up empty this day in the red zone.
4) Ref's blew the call on the McGee fumble. Ground cannot cause a fumble. Just as bad as the Rice miscall.
5) Lombardi loved to run the ball and he had the machine to do it. But his game plan was a little too
conservative even on a slick winter field. With Dowler and McGee he had wideouts who could go up and
get the long ball. If we have a good lead then wear them down. We should have put up 30 in this one.

In retrospect you must remember that this was 1960, our first Lombardi playoff game. The team was talented and was getting even better in the next couple seasons. We were just a season past going 1-10-1 and in the basement.
What is beautiful to watch is the powerful drive and precision blocking of our offensive line, the swift hitting quick openers of Taylor and Hornung in a SPLIT backfield. ( Not this eye formation in which it takes the RB a week to get to the line of scrimmage.) Defensive linemen like Henry Jordan, Willie Davis, and Bubba Forester who can play EVERY down and go sideline to sideline. Don't see that today.

Stop to think if Lombardi wins this one he has his 3 consecutive titles even earlier with 1961 and 1962 ahead.
Then move forward to 1963 when we go 11-2-1. The Bears go 11-1-2. We had that season right there also.
The Bears rally for two 4th quarter desparation ties 17-17 and somehow come from behind late to beat the Lions on the final day of the season. The great what ifs.

Lombardi regretted not kicking FGs in the red zone and took personal responsibility for losing the game. His "this will never happen again" comment was as much an apology as a commitment.

The blown call on the McGee fumble is captured well in this video.

One more note...on Willie Davis. Early in this game see him bat down a flat pass. It reminded me of his ability to sniff out and blow up screens. He was plenty fast and ran down plays from behind. A lot of folks believe these "old timers" couldn't play in today's faster game....WD was listed at 245 and played closer to 235. I'd just say Willie Davis would have made one heck of a 3-4 OLB in today's game.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Hate to bring up such a sour topic but somebody brought up 4th and 26 (which I still have nightmares about to this day) So I decided to start this thread.

What in your opinion is the most heartbreaking loss/losses in Packers history?

Here's mine:

#3 2003 NFC Wild Card Game @ Green Bay
All I can remember of this game is Micheal Vick running up and down the Packers all game for their first home playoff loss in history. And getting a punt blocked. And how I never wanted to feel that feeling again. It was new for me, but gross.

#2 2008 NFC Championship Game @ Green Bay
Brett Favre brought us back late in the game as our hero. And aided by a missed Lawrence Tynes missed field goal we headed to overtime. We won the toss we elected to recieve. Yeah I thought as long as Brett doesn't make a stupid play we'll win were my exact thoughts. Then Brett Favre dropped back and threw what was just an ill-advised throw to Greg Jennings (I think) which ended up being tremendously under thrown and got picked off. The Giants already in our territory only had to kick a chip in field goal. (Which admittedly was no easy task that night with that weather)

#1 2004 NFC Divisional Game @ Green Bay
Ahh. Yes. I'm just gonna post this video and let us never speak of this travesty again.

for me it was definitely watching us go 15-1 and then losing to the Giants AGAIN, it was heart breaking.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think losing the Super Bowl to the Broncos was the most heartbreaking for me. The Giants? Meh.

First, I don't like and never have liked all the Elway hype. Second, the Packers could have won that one with a better touch on the final offensive pass. Third, the defense looked gassed in the second half of that one. But it still was one that the Packers could have won if that last pass had been completed.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4th and 26 and the TO game are the two most gut wrenching because you know that you are one defensive play away from victory. You want to jump off a building.
Sad because even Philly players on defense claimed they could not stop our running game that day and we chose not to go for it on 4th down and then run the clock out.
Niners needed some help from upstairs. They seemed to be jinxed when they play us.
Realize that is the only time they have beaten us since Montana did it in 1990.

Members online

Latest posts