More bad news about the O-line

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the TCR up here in GB tonite, they mentioned that the starting guards STILL haven't been solidified, in fact, they said that Wells (and they hinted at Reugamer) has been shifted in and out of the starting group this week to find something that's working.

Beightol obviously need to figure out who's best suited for the job, but this is also significantly hindering the progress of the line when the same 5 are never working together.

Reaction score
Musccy, I suspect they want to be completly sure, but it is a little worrying. However, given time, then the Pack will get their line together. Here is some encoraging news:

"Closing in: Rossley said he had "a pretty good idea" which players would start at guard on Sept. 11 but wants to see what transpires in Tennessee before divulging them"

From http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/aug05/352452.asp

Well at least we have clear front runners. Hope it all works out with the two who will start. Personally I think its Whitt and Klemm (but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wells get the nod)

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't worried about this when we lost Wahle and Rivera because I figured at least one of the 2 between Klemm and o'dwyer would pan out, and that we could always move Taushar if we had to. But O'dwyer didn't pan out, Klemm is shakey, and it sounds like they don't want to move Taushar. It's unsettling, because our running game and protection hasn't looked too impressive yet.

It's a lot of pressure too for a 7th round rookie to have Favre's fate in his hands. We've had unknowns come in before and do a good job, but it's not the route I'd prefer. Hopefully it works out.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree AZ...They had an entire offseason of minicamps, FA, TC, and here we are about 10 days b4 the season and we're still playing musical chairs.

I trust that if they pick SOMETHING and stick w/ it that the pass protection and run blocking will eventually get better, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took 2-3 weeks w/ a set unit for that to happen, hence my urgency as a fan to see them establish some group of 5, whomever it may be.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a lot of pressure too for a 7th round rookie to have Favre's fate in his hands. We've had unknowns come in before and do a good job, but it's not the route I'd prefer. Hopefully it works out.
Yeah would you like to be the responsible party when Favre gets sacked... Oooh man.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can't be that bad if the packers cut O'Dwyer. They wouldn't cut O'Dwyer if they werent in trouble. They arent in trouble, they just dont know who to go with. it sounds like they both have their good points. It looks like whatever decision is made, wont be a bad one.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
It can't be that bad if the packers cut O'Dwyer. They wouldn't cut O'Dwyer if they werent in trouble. They arent in trouble, they just dont know who to go with. it sounds like they both have their good points. It looks like whatever decision is made, wont be a bad one.

No disrespect here, but don't you mean they wouldn't cut him if they "were" in trouble? Just trying to understand your post.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's to Clifton's good health this seasson.

Bedell was brought in by Sherman and more expendable than White or Coston who were Thompson guys.

Thompson has final say on cuts.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that Wells needs to be a starter either at center or guard. He is too valuable to be a backup. Flanny is either hurt or underperforming right now and we've all seen Klemm has a long ways to go. I hope Beightol uses Wells as a starter this season.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking Beightol may see something - depending on which Team we're up against - Is it a 3-4, or a 4-3 Defense we're seeing that week and which Players would do better depending on the week..... I'm no Guru, but it appears that way for now....

Probably what will happen - is that Wells & Ruegamer get the final call.... JMHO

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right on Prez. Wells and Reugy have both shown that they can play at this level since they had some time last season. I like their chances of cracking the starting the lineup unless this Whitticker keeps Ruegamer on the sidelines.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
Whats the deal w/ Barry is he strictly U-71
I am no expert but what I have heard over the past yr or so is they use the U71 formation so much and Barry is so effective in it that they don't want to put him on to the starting line if they can avoid it. Some of this stems from the fact no one else has been able to take his place in the U71 formation.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I wasn't worried about this when we lost Wahle and Rivera because I figured at least one of the 2 between Klemm and o'dwyer would pan out, and that we could always move Taushar if we had to. But O'dwyer didn't pan out, Klemm is shakey, and it sounds like they don't want to move Taushar. It's unsettling, because our running game and protection hasn't looked too impressive yet.

Funny but I said the same thing over a month ago. I thought that it was strange that so many were optimistic about the Packers loosing not one but two starters from the O line and having nothing special to replace them with. The last thing you need is a lot of DL from other teams blowing past these guys and getting to Favre and Green 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I hope that the Bears blitz early and often against the Packers. Go after Mr. Butterfingers and get Favre to force the ball into a very good secondary and line backing crew.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Funny but I said the same thing over a month ago. I thought that it was strange that so many were optimistic about the Packers loosing not one but two starters from the O line and having nothing special to replace them with. The last thing you need is a lot of DL from other teams blowing past these guys and getting to Favre and Green 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I hope that the Bears blitz early and often against the Packers. Go after Mr. Butterfingers and get Favre to force the ball into a very good secondary and line backing crew.

Its almost like you are trying to pick fights tonight. Go on your Bears forum and start a "I hate Favre" thread instead of trolling here, PLEASE.

The bottom line on losing Wahle and Rivera is that neither of them are worth the money they got, especially when guards aren't real hard to replace. Case in point, we have a 7th round draft choice rookie starting there next week.

As most any Packer fan knows, Larry Beightol will get this group to perform, as he has for years now. Our O-line is always a strength and it will be again this year. You don't magically fix losing 2 players of Wahle and Rivera's caliber overnight.
I have no doubt by mid season that Wahle and Rivera will be a distant memory.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Philtration said:

Its almost like you are trying to pick fights tonight. Go on your Bears forum and start a "I hate Favre" thread instead of trolling here, PLEASE.

The bottom line on losing Wahle and Rivera is that neither of them are worth the money they got, especially when guards aren't real hard to replace. Case in point, we have a 7th round draft choice rookie starting there next week.

As most any Packer fan knows, Larry Beightol will get this group to perform, as he has for years now. Our O-line is always a strength and it will be again this year. You don't magically fix losing 2 players of Wahle and Rivera's caliber overnight.
I have no doubt by mid season that Wahle and Rivera will be a distant memory.
Really? It was ArizonaPackerFan who had the doubts about the O line but I guess that you only read my comments. You are contradicting yourself left and right here. You say guards aren't real hard to replace and then say you don't magically fix losing 2 players of Wahle and Rivera's caliber overnight. You say Larry Beightol will get this group to perform, as he has for years now and then say you have a 7th round draft choice rookie starting there next week and not a player of Wahle and Rivera's caliber. Putting a Packers uniform on someone does not mean that you replaced two pro bowlers. They were not worth the money? What are they saving it for? You believe that all you need is a coach and not the players to actually play the games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts